Topic: BCCIV Reviews

Just got my BCCIV CD today, and have given it a couple listens.  Soliciting opinions on this new CD with a new topic...

Overall, I think it's excellent!  A very nice complement to the first 3 works.  Lots of sweet riffs in this one smile.

For me, among all the good songs the one that stands head & shoulders above the rest is "The Last Song For My Resting Place."  An absolute masterpiece, destined as another all time favorite.

Re: BCCIV Reviews

Agree with you Campster.

I had a very interesting reaction to "The Last Song For My Resting Place". It is so powerful and special, that when I first heard it, it blew right through all my defenses and hit me to the point of hurtful "it is so good that i almost don't like it". Had to listen to it five more times to calm down and be able to put my feelings into words. Very, very good song.

"Over my head" - very catchy tune, find myself singing it all day long.

"Sway" - like, like, like - great song.

"Wanderlust" - ahh... my absolute favorite. Music, lyrics - so good.

3 (edited by reo l 2017-09-23 06:03:43)

Glenn Hughes's  interview about BCC IV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9E-TVz7E2Q

Black Country Communion - The Last Song For My Resting Place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7FssPpNG2w

More reviews in Other Artists. All positive.

6 (edited by gary 2017-09-23 07:17:07)

Got through it once and enjoyed it.
Not that I was expecting not too!!
The Last Song For My Resting Place is epic.
In fact this album to me overall has a different vibe where several songs seem to stretch out and have that epic classic rock thing going on.
I think this album will require several listens tongetba better handle on howbIbfeel about the songs

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I've listened to it through a few times now and I certainly think it is head and shoulders above the previous albums and I loved them all. Good to hear Derek much more to the fore with some great keyboard and Hammond sections. Glens vocals seem much better and soulful and Joe sounds like he is enjoying it all. Mandolin included gives it that 70's vibe. All we are missing is the good old 70's cowbell. lol All in all 5 stars. big_smile

On the journey of life, I chose the psycho path.
Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir I have tried in my way to be free.
Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

8 (edited by BluesCrazy 2017-09-25 19:30:24)

I would love to be listening too the album right now. Pre-ordered from the store in July and never received the link. Emailed and no response. Called today and someone with no personality told me they would talk to IT immediately and get me the link. Still nothing. I am going to call tomorrow and ask for my money back and order it from I tunes. Very poor service.

Update. Just received the link and just downloaded so all is good!

Another tidbit.  When first listening to the 2nd track on the album "Over My Head", my first reaction during the verses was - hey, I've heard this song before! Turns out it's incredibly similar to "I'm Gonna Getcha Good" by Shania Twain.  The chorus is different as are the lyrics, but the melody & cadence of the verses is almost identical.  I'm thinking songwriter Glenn Hughes was unconsciously influenced by pop/country music from the past smile?  Gotta imagine this kind of thing happens a lot in the songwriting world.

Champster wrote:

Another tidbit.  When first listening to the 2nd track on the album "Over My Head", my first reaction during the verses was - hey, I've heard this song before! Turns out it's incredibly similar to "I'm Gonna Getcha Good" by Shania Twain.  The chorus is different as are the lyrics, but the melody & cadence of the verses is almost identical.  I'm thinking songwriter Glenn Hughes was unconsciously influenced by pop/country music from the past smile?  Gotta imagine this kind of thing happens a lot in the songwriting world.

It seems like it does happen sometimes.
Unless your Page and Plant who never had it happen

Your rock candy baby

Champster wrote:

Well, had to google it and i see where are you coming from. But man - it is so much better! GH did an awesome job. Took that peace of marble and took off all the unnecessary parts.

reo l wrote:

Well, had to google it and i see where are you coming from. But man - it is so much better! GH did an awesome job. Took that peace of marble and took off all the unnecessary parts.

LOL! I can't deny that.

Great CD! BCC's best imo. "Wanderlust", Awake", & "Sway" probably my favorites.

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

14 (edited by reo l 2017-10-08 18:46:48)

Really liking the "Cove", rhythm in it is mesmerizing.

"Sway" is so good. And such a nice touch at the end with keyboard! Ties the whole song together.

I can't stop thinking about the songs in terms of "should be in the new setlist or not"
smile
must have Last Song From a resting place IMO
and the Crow...maybe Over My Head
the Crow so intense though....don't know how hard to do live having to sing a full set....
but man when I sing along...i juts sort of naturally get the Glenn face...i feel like i am feeling it like him. Its nothing anyone really wants to watch but I just keep thinking want to sing along to this one live with Glenn nearby (from a distance where no one can hear my voice or front row where it will be too loud for me to interfere)

but yeah i want to say things about the song s and albums but mind keeps wandering to whats going to be put in the setlist!

Musical guests...cool to see Gerry O'Conner. When i first heard Last Song For My Resting Place i instantly thought...oooh this is the best Bova i have heard....and then thought no...couldnt be....

I also see in the credits - Kevin Shirley : Additional Percussion
hmmmm now i have to relisten just to see if i can figure it out...more than one song??? could be....would be easier if they would have given us a clue like 'excessive cowbell in track 7' or something hmmmmmm

17 (edited by gary 2017-10-17 21:08:27)

Usually I get a handle on an album quickly.
But I am still absorbing 4.It might  be me but it seems there is a lot going on with most of the songs.I am not sure I have one stand out past Last Resting Place
There are a lot I have as equals.
I do wish there was a little more of Joes vocals.Not thatbIbhave anything against GH’s vocals like a lot of peeps here.I do like  it when they trade back and forth in a song

Your rock candy baby