Topic: BCCIV Reviews

Just got my BCCIV CD today, and have given it a couple listens.  Soliciting opinions on this new CD with a new topic...

Overall, I think it's excellent!  A very nice complement to the first 3 works.  Lots of sweet riffs in this one smile.

For me, among all the good songs the one that stands head & shoulders above the rest is "The Last Song For My Resting Place."  An absolute masterpiece, destined as another all time favorite.

Re: BCCIV Reviews

Agree with you Campster.

I had a very interesting reaction to "The Last Song For My Resting Place". It is so powerful and special, that when I first heard it, it blew right through all my defenses and hit me to the point of hurtful "it is so good that i almost don't like it". Had to listen to it five more times to calm down and be able to put my feelings into words. Very, very good song.

"Over my head" - very catchy tune, find myself singing it all day long.

"Sway" - like, like, like - great song.

"Wanderlust" - ahh... my absolute favorite. Music, lyrics - so good.

3 (edited by reo l 2017-09-23 06:03:43)

Glenn Hughes's  interview about BCC IV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9E-TVz7E2Q

Black Country Communion - The Last Song For My Resting Place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7FssPpNG2w

More reviews in Other Artists. All positive.

6 (edited by gary 2017-09-23 07:17:07)

Got through it once and enjoyed it.
Not that I was expecting not too!!
The Last Song For My Resting Place is epic.
In fact this album to me overall has a different vibe where several songs seem to stretch out and have that epic classic rock thing going on.
I think this album will require several listens tongetba better handle on howbIbfeel about the songs

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I've listened to it through a few times now and I certainly think it is head and shoulders above the previous albums and I loved them all. Good to hear Derek much more to the fore with some great keyboard and Hammond sections. Glens vocals seem much better and soulful and Joe sounds like he is enjoying it all. Mandolin included gives it that 70's vibe. All we are missing is the good old 70's cowbell. lol All in all 5 stars. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

8 (edited by BluesCrazy 2017-09-25 19:30:24)

I would love to be listening too the album right now. Pre-ordered from the store in July and never received the link. Emailed and no response. Called today and someone with no personality told me they would talk to IT immediately and get me the link. Still nothing. I am going to call tomorrow and ask for my money back and order it from I tunes. Very poor service.

Update. Just received the link and just downloaded so all is good!

Another tidbit.  When first listening to the 2nd track on the album "Over My Head", my first reaction during the verses was - hey, I've heard this song before! Turns out it's incredibly similar to "I'm Gonna Getcha Good" by Shania Twain.  The chorus is different as are the lyrics, but the melody & cadence of the verses is almost identical.  I'm thinking songwriter Glenn Hughes was unconsciously influenced by pop/country music from the past smile?  Gotta imagine this kind of thing happens a lot in the songwriting world.

Champster wrote:

Another tidbit.  When first listening to the 2nd track on the album "Over My Head", my first reaction during the verses was - hey, I've heard this song before! Turns out it's incredibly similar to "I'm Gonna Getcha Good" by Shania Twain.  The chorus is different as are the lyrics, but the melody & cadence of the verses is almost identical.  I'm thinking songwriter Glenn Hughes was unconsciously influenced by pop/country music from the past smile?  Gotta imagine this kind of thing happens a lot in the songwriting world.

It seems like it does happen sometimes.
Unless your Page and Plant who never had it happen

Your rock candy baby

Champster wrote:

Well, had to google it and i see where are you coming from. But man - it is so much better! GH did an awesome job. Took that peace of marble and took off all the unnecessary parts.

reo l wrote:

Well, had to google it and i see where are you coming from. But man - it is so much better! GH did an awesome job. Took that peace of marble and took off all the unnecessary parts.

LOL! I can't deny that.

Great CD! BCC's best imo. "Wanderlust", Awake", & "Sway" probably my favorites.

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

14 (edited by reo l 2017-10-08 18:46:48)

Really liking the "Cove", rhythm in it is mesmerizing.

"Sway" is so good. And such a nice touch at the end with keyboard! Ties the whole song together.

15 (edited by gary 2017-10-17 21:08:27)

Usually I get a handle on an album quickly.
But I am still absorbing 4.It might  be me but it seems there is a lot going on with most of the songs.I am not sure I have one stand out past Last Resting Place
There are a lot I have as equals.
I do wish there was a little more of Joes vocals.Not thatbIbhave anything against GH’s vocals like a lot of peeps here.I do like  it when they trade back and forth in a song

Your rock candy baby

First off i'd like to thank and applaud the guys on getting back together and putting in all the hard work and effort for this album BCCIV

Now Black Country Communion have had a Heavy Rocky Road down the years
with being appreciated by Blues fans with their style of RockBlues/Metal and some folk storytelling style, But ... on the other side of the coin it has touched and lit up the rockier side of Joe where some JB fans like to see him go, and Joe does indeed like to really Rock Out.

That said what we have here after a 4 year Hiatus ( more like sleeping Godzilla ) is without doubt their most powerful and polished album to date.

It is Pure Rock with Ferocity and Tightness with the Guys seemingly fresh and unshackled
just listen to some of the music on show here it is so well arranged and delivered that this album will known as their blueprint close to BCC2 which was outstanding

here is a brief track by track analysis of what i felt

1. Collide . . . . . The Album kicks off with a deep slice of chunky Rock, this is right out the block riffing thunderous slabs of guitar and even this early on the band feels noticibly tighter and in pure unison, A Brutal Rock opener that grabs you and says this is what we're bringing

2. Over My Head . . . . AC/DC / Red Hot Chilli Peppers Morph with a punchy medium Rockin tune and lovely work from Jason keeping the beat with glen wailing perfectly

3.  The Last Song of My Resting Place . . . . Epic Rush like tale of Titanic proportions with violins & mandolins fade in and out to give a history feel, and Joe singing like a storyteller like he lived in the fable, foretold to music, this is grower with Joe's voice aching to the finale, around 4;00 the song drags you into the heavy depths with Joe leading power to the fade out, Epic Stuff

4. Sway . . . .  This one is fierce, Machine Gun Riffs that keep the pace fast and furious, Glen flowing over the sounds is pure heavy rock that something '72 Deep Purple would not of sent to the cutting room floor, a funny mid change up with Joe spiralling out of fretboard control
Supreme Rock This Is

5.  The Cove . . . . Dereks creepy keys fade into A Wonderful eerie song with Glen consuming its core and telling the sad tale of fated dolphins in a bay far away, he transcends you there to the despair, it is truly deep and slow with heartfelt overtones, Joe's solo is filled with anger like dolphins sounds in the watery depths.
Deep Stuff

6. The Crow . . . . Black Country Communion - What The Freakin' Hell,  This is probably their best tune omfg, it's Pure 100% Heavy Rock, The Riff is Savage and Brutal tearing Rock's flesh off to the bone with insane power chords and rhythm a relentless surge on your musical senses and even gains momentum and it powers along with all 4 members pushing their limit soloing, then the heaviest of breakdowns and seamless screams to a creschendo finale.  Amazing BCC Rockin' Out Flexing it's Incredible Power.  This Live Will Be Unreal  cool

7. Wunderlust . . . . . A lighter Dire Straits medium/fast beat, soothing vocals with a wonderful solid beat, then Joe unleashes one of his best solos ever out of nowhere and an amazing outro from 6:30 til the end Joe steps it up yet again tearing loose, this album is so so powerful.

8. Love Remains . . . . . Like a Wanton Song screaming the rhythm and guitars race and build above the harmonies , a delicious slice of funky rock and the keys swirl wonderfully with a nice Pink Floydish breakdown mid song and fires up again

9. Awake . . . . . Joe's Melee of notes with Glen letting his voice push the fast beat along with various vocal notes, Derek and Joe trade blows mid song. A creeper

10. When Morning Comes . . . . . Piano laden song a lovely closer after all the mayhem that has destroyed the rock senses previously, a soothing close to ballad type song and the band are in a gentler mood , it was needed after all the fury of 4 years unleashed. as Joe's goes Crazy as the album fades

And there you have it, A Unbelievable Power Rock Record that is close to as Black Country Communion have come to finding their Core.

I am so impressed at this album and it shows when you put 4 incredible talented musicians in the studio who have Rock in their blood

BCCIV is a Real Real Serious Contender for Rock Album of The year
The Guys must be so so pleased with this and cant wait to hear some of this Live

........... Michael

ps ..... The Crow cool cool cool cool

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

A fine review Michael.
You should be on commission for album sales after that!

Lester

Another excellent review Michael!
I agree with your review.

Your rock candy baby