Re: Joe Bonamassa "Skinnerburst" Registry

LesPaul4 wrote:

Hey fellow LP lovers,

Do you think this is a legitimate sale here?  Price is kind of low....If real, I'm very interested..but not the first time this guitar has been listed on reverb.com and using much of the same pics as prior owner???

https://reverb.com/item/1928573-gibson- … irty-lemon

Looks legit, and a nice top, but the "deal" is so-so. It is a VOS, not an aged. I have seen them go for slightly under 5k used.

Just bought it! Nice guy who was extremely helpful in answering all of my questions.  He bought it new about a year ago for 6400 and is having his first kid so he needed to prioritize.  Hopefully it's all it's supposed to be when it shows up but I went through the trouble to ask the necessary questions to get as much assurance as possible.

Put me down for #020

"Don't need a helmet to get me through life, walk across the water, blame it on foolish pride"

apexelectric wrote:

Just bought it! Nice guy who was extremely helpful in answering all of my questions.  He bought it new about a year ago for 6400 and is having his first kid so he needed to prioritize.  Hopefully it's all it's supposed to be when it shows up but I went through the trouble to ask the necessary questions to get as much assurance as possible.

Put me down for #020

Congrats...I was about to pull the trigger on her in a week or so...but I am glad she is going to a Bonamassa fan!!!

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

apexelectric wrote:

Put me down for #020

Congrats love my #1

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Thx Ron & LP4

Just got her today and man is she sweet. My first Gibson Custom Shop guitar too. I have a couple other Gibson Les Pauls including a Bonamassa Studio Gold top with Bonamassa Seymour Duncan's and a Bigsby as well as a 1986 Black Beauty. It definitely is a couple notches above the Studio. All and all a solid investment and will be used frequently as it should.

Any advice for getting the back of the neck to stay smooth after playing it for an hour or so? I seem to have the same issue with all my Gibson Les Pauls. The nitro only seems to stay smooth for about an hour then starts to get a little tacky. Don't want to ruin it. 

Also, is the small amount of buckle rash part of the VOS treatment? It's obvious that they scuffed the control plates but was curious about the back. Since it's used and slightly aged as well it can be hard to tell what's original to the treatment from the factory and what's been done from playing. The previous owner said it was in "like new" condition. Not that it's going to matter, just curious.

Anyone shield their control cavity?

"Don't need a helmet to get me through life, walk across the water, blame it on foolish pride"

most common cleaning method for a Gibson Les Paul's nitro finish.. naphtha.

moisten a cloth with naphtha and rub the back of the neck.

(yes that's ronson lighter fluid .. don't smoke while doing this)

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

115 (edited by cindyron 2016-09-11 05:00:25)

apexelectric wrote:

Thx Ron & LP4

Just got her today and man is she sweet. My first Gibson Custom Shop guitar too. I have a couple other Gibson Les Pauls including a Bonamassa Studio Gold top with Bonamassa Seymour Duncan's and a Bigsby as well as a 1986 Black Beauty. It definitely is a couple notches above the Studio. All and all a solid investment and will be used frequently as it should.

Any advice for getting the back of the neck to stay smooth after playing it for an hour or so? I seem to have the same issue with all my Gibson Les Pauls. The nitro only seems to stay smooth for about an hour then starts to get a little tacky. Don't want to ruin it. 

Also, is the small amount of buckle rash part of the VOS treatment? It's obvious that they scuffed the control plates but was curious about the back. Since it's used and slightly aged as well it can be hard to tell what's original to the treatment from the factory and what's been done from playing. The previous owner said it was in "like new" condition. Not that it's going to matter, just curious.

Anyone shield their control cavity?

I would use NOTHING but Gibson guitar polish. Wipe it down each time you use it. I have not shielded my cavity. If it's not broke don't fix it. It is a VOS guitar so any scratches or such came from original owner. Only the aged units were made to look.....aged

"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Ron,

So you mean to say that there shouldn't be any signs of aging on the hardware? The hardware on mine looks as though it's well cared for but old. There are tool marks on the post slots and the nickel finish is aged slightly. The plastic covers for the control cavities and the pick guard have light scuffing. And the body has light swirl marks. More than you would expect from a barely used guitar.

Everything I've seen from other examples seem to match up to this one. The original Skinner serial number is on the inside of the control cavity. The pot shafts protrude from the body a little further than normal. The dye from the back bleeds into the neck binding. It has all the case candy and COA with matching serial number. All tell tale signs of this being authentic.

apexelectric wrote:

Ron,

So you mean to say that there shouldn't be any signs of aging on the hardware? The hardware on mine looks as though it's well cared for but old. There are tool marks on the post slots and the nickel finish is aged slightly. The plastic covers for the control cavities and the pick guard have light scuffing. And the body has light swirl marks. More than you would expect from a barely used guitar.

Everything I've seen from other examples seem to match up to this one. The original Skinner serial number is on the inside of the control cavity. The pot shafts protrude from the body a little further than normal. The dye from the back bleeds into the neck binding. It has all the case candy and COA with matching serial number. All tell tale signs of this being authentic.

Oh no no I never said it was not the real deal. I said if it's VOS any excessive marks came from the owner. If you look at the aged ones you will see what I mean. Beautiful guitar I am sure it will give you years of enjoyment
Cheers Ron

118 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2016-10-28 18:57:55)

Aged / Signed #9 went up on ebay today (there are a couple A/S for sale out there .. but this is the first I think I've seen on eBay.)

$570 / 4 bids so far / a week to go (Thurs 11/3) ... doesn't state that there's a Reserve ... could get interesting.

Winona MS ... established seller (keo1) with other guitar sales feedback.

2014 Gibson Les Paul Skinner Burst Aged Signed Joe Bonamassa
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Gibson-Les … SwB09YEiT8

EDIT (10/28/16) It is also posted up on Reverb at $10K ... by a respected member of the LPForum
https://reverb.com/item/3316155-2014-gi … nner-burst

Not affiliated

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

RoadcaseBoy wrote:

Aged / Signed #9 went up on ebay today (there are a couple A/S for sale out there .. but this is the first I think I've seen on eBay.)

$570 / 4 bids so far / a week to go (Thurs 11/3) ... doesn't state that there's a Reserve ... could get interesting.

Winona MS ... established seller (keo1) with other guitar sales feedback.

EDIT (10/28/16) It is also posted up on Reverb at $10K ... by a respected member of the LPForum

Not affiliated

they are allowed to have it for sale and up for auction on two sites at the same time?

120 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2016-11-03 15:08:16)

cindyron wrote:
RoadcaseBoy wrote:

Not affiliated

they are allowed to have it for sale and up for auction on two sites at the same time?

Hey Ron ...

I was going to reply ... before clicking the links to see where the auction was ... that I have seen a Seller state "seller reserves the right to pull listing early or sell local", etc. .. but before doing so ... I clicked the links ... didn't realize the ebay auction had ended ... and still see on Reverb ... so I get your question ...

Im not a LPFourm regular ... but did drop a note to the seller .. once I knew he was from there .. that #9 was posted on Joe's Forum .. for a couple extra eyes out there to see ...

he did reply thanks ... and that he'd pull the ebay if he thought he didn't get a fair number (didn't say / I didn't ask .. what $.) ... and without "Reserve Not Met" or "Listing Ended by Seller" .. I would think "Auction Ended" means  ... she's sold at that $7.4K

so I'm wondering  ... did the ebay sale stick? .. and if so ... then yes .. what happens if someone would hit the buy button on Reverb today at the now reduced from $10K to $9K.

I didn't answer ur question ... and now wonder myself. 

Hope you're doing well. smile

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

RoadcaseBoy wrote:
cindyron wrote:
RoadcaseBoy wrote:

Not affiliated

Hey Ron ...

I was going to reply ... before clicking the links to see where the auction was ... that I have seen a Seller state "seller reserves the right to pull listing early or sell local", etc. .. but before doing so ... I clicked the links ... didn't realize the ebay auction had ended ... and still see on Reverb ... so I get your question ...

Im not a LPFourm regular ... but did drop a note to the seller .. once I knew he was from there .. that #9 was posted on Joe's Forum .. for a couple extra eyes out there to see ...

he did reply thanks ... and that he'd pull the ebay if he thought he didn't get a fair number (didn't say / I didn't ask .. what $.) ... and without "Reserve Not Met" or "Listing Ended by Seller" .. I would think "Auction Ended" means  ... she's sold at that $7.4K

so I'm wondering  ... did the ebay sale stick? .. and if so ... then yes .. what happens if someone would hit the buy button on Reverb today at the now reduced from $10K to $9K.

I didn't answer ur question ... and now wonder myself. 

Hope you're doing well. smile

Seems strange to me I was bidding until these two active sites having the same item seemed odd and not right so I stopped 15 before it ended. Did it sell? Or can a seller have it on two sites and if it looks like he will not get the $$ he wants stop the action? I do not know I am not a ebay pro. But once I noticed that I stopped my bidding 10 min before the end.

122 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2016-11-03 16:53:24)

cindyron wrote:

Seems strange to me I was bidding until these two active sites having the same item seemed odd and not right so I stopped 15 before it ended. Did it sell? Or can a seller have it on two sites and if it looks like he will not get the $$ he wants stop the action? I do not know I am not a ebay pro. But once I noticed that I stopped my bidding 10 min before the end.

I've only bought on eBay ... but have seen in the Description ... "Reserve the right to end early" ... which I thought isn't fair if there are bids on the item.  You prompted me to look on Ebay's Rules on ending a Listing ... it takes a minute to absorb the when you can / can't end a listing ... if you were curious ...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

But that wasn't your question I know ...

To answer you ... I have seen the same guitar on Ebay and Reverb many times ... and "assume" as long as you follow each's Sites Rules (I believe eBay has more restrictions) .. you can have dual Listings.

What I question ... it looks like Skinner #9 went the full term on eBay, no Reserve was set, Listing Page says SOLD ($7,400 / 54 bids - 17 bidders) ... I would think it sold ... and seller should have pulled his Reverb Listing. (EDIT: ... I see it is marked ENDED now ... couple hours after eBay ending.)

Last piece of info ... I do lurk on the LPF ... the Seller is a frequent poster on the LPFourm, (his LPF name is also his Reverb name) ... and I see he buys many of the new Gibson Custom releases .. the R's, CC's and Artist Runs .. and posts his NGD's.  He mentioned to me in his reply he is / wants to sell 35 guitars for a Vintage Burst LP purchase he has begun the process on.

Still didn't answer much for u ... other than for me .. "when CAN they end a Listing early on eBay" .. I'm glad there is some control when there are bids on an item.

I'm sure a Member here who has sold on both sites will have a much better answer.

Sorry you lost out .. that eBay price was something for an A/S Skinner (if sold smile.)

RoadcaseBoy wrote:
cindyron wrote:

I've only bought on eBay ... but have seen in the Description ... "Reserve the right to end early" ... which I thought isn't fair if there are bids on the item.  You prompted me to look on Ebay's Rules on ending a Listing ... it takes a minute to absorb the when you can / can't end a listing ... if you were curious ...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

But that wasn't your question I know ...

To answer you ... I have seen the same guitar on Ebay and Reverb many times ... and "assume" as long as you follow each's Sites Rules (I believe eBay has more restrictions) .. you can have dual Listings.

What I question ... it looks like Skinner #9 went the full term on eBay, no Reserve was set, Listing Page says SOLD ($7,400 / 54 bids - 17 bidders) ... I would think it sold ... and seller should have pulled his Reverb Listing. (EDIT: ... I see it is marked ENDED now ... couple hours after eBay ending.)

Last piece of info ... I do lurk on the LPF ... the Seller is a frequent poster on the LPFourm, (his LPF name is also his Reverb name) ... and I see he buys many of the new Gibson Custom releases .. the R's, CC's and Artist Runs .. and posts his NGD's.  He mentioned to me in his reply he is / wants to sell 35 guitars for a Vintage Burst LP purchase he has begun the process on.

Still didn't answer much for u ... other than for me .. "when CAN they end a Listing early on eBay" .. I'm glad there is some control when there are bids on an item.

I'm sure a Member here who has sold on both sites will have a much better answer.

Sorry you lost out .. that eBay price was something for an A/S Skinner (if sold smile.)

It was a good price thats why I bid. Hey I am fine after all I have Serial #1
cheers Hope to see you at some show
Ron

124 (edited by playloud 2016-12-21 20:41:53)

Hi all, I just purchased SKNRBRST 043, aged, no signature.  She sounds and plays and looks heavenly, and I am truly blessed and thankful to own the guitar.  This forum is very cool, will be more active in the future.  Thanks!  Joe P in Miami, Florida.

125 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2016-12-21 20:33:42)

Congrats on SKNRBRST043 playloud!

Best wishes with her ... play loud ... and often!

#70 North east of England