Re: Blackberry Smoke

Not many bands that have me rushing out to get the back catalogue. A last minute clash of dates saw me miss there Hamburg show in October last year but a great deal at CD retailer Saturn saw me pick up 4 of their albums for just 26 euros.
The 'Leave a scar' live CD is on almost constant rotation and I love the DVD. Great band, great songs, great players. If they don't do Germany in the summer I might have to go to London.

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

ohiodawg13 wrote:
pat6put6man wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:

That show isn't coming to NorCal......yet!

Yes it is....Aug 30 in Saratoga at The Mountain Winery..tix not on sale yet...

Thanks for the update!

Got my tix yesterday...should be an epic show with Gov't Mule....

What a kick a$$ show The Smoke put on Saturday night at The Fillmore in San Francisco. It was their last night in California and the history there was not lost on Charlie Starr. He referred to it as "hallowed ground". They included a very moving tribute to Merle Haggard by playing Yesterday's Wine and Still Doin' Time in his honor. They also paid respect to Jerry Garcia and The Grateful Dead with a rousing cover of Ramblin' Rose. A great night including running into Rocket at his first BBS gig. Damn the tix for the show with Gov't Mule went in a heartbeat this AM, but there's a show the next night closer to me in Sonoma County and not on sale yet. I encourage anybody that reads this to catch up with these guys and git yer Smoke awn!

Fire In The Hole!!!

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

pat6put6man wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:
pat6put6man wrote:

Yes it is....Aug 30 in Saratoga at The Mountain Winery..tix not on sale yet...

Thanks for the update!

Glad I didn't get tix for that venue since they're playing the next night in Rohnert Park in Sonoma County. Much easier commute for me.

Ain't Much Left of Me!

J Dawg

Got my tix yesterday...should be an epic show with Gov't Mule....

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

59 (edited by ohiodawg13 2016-11-15 00:38:42)

OK, how many of you BBS fans got your hands on the new album Like An Arrow? As with all their albums it takes me a few listens and then WHAM! it clicks and I can't put it down. If you haven't got this one, do it ASAP! They hit it outta the park again!!!

Ain't Gonna Wait!

J Dawg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XpWE3jmqgA

OK, one more  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W09f9KGcOO0

sounds like they did, some really great songwriting here. I ain't got it yet, but will in short order. They have been to town here 2 times and I have not made it downtown to see them........the not so smiley face is upon me

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

I've had it since the middle of October. I find it is the perfect blend of styles. They rock, country it up a little, then rock again. Plugged or unplugged it is all quality. Most of the tracks don't exceed 4 minutes or so, which means Charlie Starr knows exactly how to write a catchy number and leave you wanting more.
I love the band and can't wait to catch them in March here.

Hey Y'all
Charlie Starr has that legend on the backside of his battered Black LP. A warm greeting in a hot room in the Bunker in Hamburg yesterday. The 'Smoke' rolled out a stunning set full of their usual country tinged rock 'n roll boogie. Tight as a drum as only a hard touring band can be. They even included a small vignette of 'Starship Trooper' on 'Let a Sleeping dog Lie' a la JB.

Hamburg yesterday, Stockholm the day before, Amsterdam today and Cologne tomorrow. Life on the bus.

I had the privilege to get an aftershow pass and meet the guys backstage after the set. Had they really just played a 110 minute set? They seemed so fresh. I was knackered!

Anyway, a more genuine bunch of guys you couldn't wish to meet. Charlie - an absolute gentleman, very gracious happy to talk. Paul Jackson - I really don't think there is a dungeon in the building but I hope my explanation on Brexit made it clearer. Britt and Brandon - glad they liked the Irish whisky I brought. I see it could be dangerous with these guys!

Great band, great music, great time- Catch them if you can. A better night out doesn't exist.

63 (edited by ohiodawg13 2017-05-04 22:50:54)

Circle the wagons west coast Smoke fans! Git yer Smoke on July 29 at the Fillmore in SF and/or July 30 at The Cargo Room at the Whitney Peak Hotel in downtown Reno. Tix on sale to the public July 5. I'm ticked up for both.

Time Ain't Gonna Wait!

J Dawg

ohiodawg13 wrote:

Circle the wagons west coast Smoke fans! Git yer Smoke on July 29 at the Fillmore in SF and/or July 30 at The Cargo Room at the Whitney Peak Hotel in downtown Reno. Tix on sale to the public July 5. I'm ticked up for both.

Time Ain't Gonna Wait!

J Dawg

Well what a surprise when I opened a weekly Email from The Uptown Theater in Napa yesterday. Blackberry Smoke is there on Friday 7/28. pre-sale is tomorrow at noon and general public Friday. Planning on grabbing tix tomorrow to complete a triple header, Napa, SF, and Reno!

Don't Let Yer
                                                                                                        Horseshoes Point Down,

J Dawg

Sorry J Dawg...I don't get the feeling from BlackBerry Smoke like you do but I can tell you this...when I went to see Gov't Mule at the Mountain Winery, BBS was the opening band...I actually saw 2 people who were obviously BBS fans (wearing Tees and really into their music) who got up and left the facility after their set....don't know how you get up and walk before Gov't Mule comes on no matter who you prefer....I got there early to see BBS...isn't that the same sorta?

pat6put6man wrote:

Sorry J Dawg...I don't get the feeling from BlackBerry Smoke like you do but I can tell you this...when I went to see Gov't Mule at the Mountain Winery, BBS was the opening band...I actually saw 2 people who were obviously BBS fans (wearing Tees and really into their music) who got up and left the facility after their set....don't know how you get up and walk before Gov't Mule comes on no matter who you prefer....I got there early to see BBS...isn't that the same sorta?

That's cool Pat. We all have our preferences. I dig BBS because they appeal to my Southern Rock senses, my favorite genre, but they encompass so much more. They write great down to earth working man lyrics and play country in more of a tribute style to the great country stars. They can flat out rock when they feel like it as well. I dig the versatility.

Time Ain't Gonna Wait For Me,

J Dawg

67 (edited by ohiodawg13 2019-05-15 20:24:00)

Time to bump this thread up a bit. I've seen BBS 3 more times since June '17 and it just gets better. The last album Finding A Light didn't disappoint either or The Southern Ground Sessions acoustic EP. Jason Isbell's wife Amanda Shires appears on both recordings on vocals and fiddle. She's the new Alison Krauss in my book. Her and Charlie together doing Tom Petty's You Got Lucky is incredible as well as their duet on Let Me Down Easy. Any newcomers to the BBS train out there reading this? Throw in yer two cents if there are!

I'm Just Flesh & Bone,

J Dawg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXotvst5us    This ones a real cooker with Robert Randolph!

They are playing at Bourbon & Beyond in Louisville in September and I plan on checking them out!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Yeah...bump up the thread!
BBS are kinda giving Northern Germany a bodyswerve on this tour and are only doing 3 German dates opening for LS. But I shall not be put off, so I'm gonna drive across the border to Denmark and catch them in Esjberg DK. Always a blast watching these guys. Having had the pleasure of meeting them backstage in Hamburg in 2017, I bumped into Britt and Richard strolling through Hanover before the gig there last year. Genuine guys, happy to chat and Britt even remembered me from our impromptu whiskey tasting. I shall take some up to Denmark with me just in case we can do it again!

The only 'Smoke' that does you good!