Re: No Hockey Fans This Post Season???

Very strange/exciting couple of games for the Blackhawks...and I was lucky enough to be at both.

Saturday night the Hawks and Lighting were tied 0-0 at the end of regulation. 17 seconds in to the 3 on 3 OT, Toews pushes the puck ahead, splits two defenders, retrieves the puck and goes 5 hole on his own rebound, for the 1-0 win.

Monday night, the Hawks and Ducks were tied 0-0 at the end of regulation. About 1.5 minutes into the 3 on 3 OT, Kane gives Toews a no look, backhand pass of the side boards and Toews absolutely snipes a shot over the goalie's left shoulder for the 1-0 win.

Overtime was re-implemented in the 1983-84 season. This is the first time a team has won back to back games in OT by a 1-0 score with the same player scoring both OT goals.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Hey there Brother Bill

Glad u were able to take in the games .. always a real treat to be in that environment.

Not a fan of the 3/3 OT format at all.  Course I've never been a fan of the S/O either.  I've always been of the notion that the game be decided in OT .. 5/5, regardless of time extended.  Of course league administration feels that the entertainment value is better served with creative models that will enhance the game.

With the emphasis on the almighty dollar, multi-use facilities are utilized, creating havoc to a scheduling system.  It's ridiculous that teams can be subjected to three games in four nights, then be on week long lay-offs between other games.

Goalie equipment and net size is again up for discussion.  Personally, I see nothing wrong with the current application .. it's all ready been tweaked.  Today's goalies have their own coaches, pushing their expertise to a higher level.  They're bigger and better than they have ever been (well, <cough> most are .. lol) .  Perhaps the players need to be expected to do the same .. play to a higher level.  Of course, if the league wants more goals, they can always remove the goalies all together and turn the nets to face the boards .. lol.  If I will concede to anything, let it be a new design for the posts.  A design that will easily reward those shots that ring off the iron to actually go into the net.

Hope all is well with u, my friend .. have a wonderful festive season!

Keep ur stick on the ice eh .. lol

Cheers! cool

The BonaMaritimer .. All Dials To The Right!

Thanks Buzzy...I know I can always count on you for some hockey talk, even in the "dog days".
I actually like the 3 on 3 format, at least in comparison to the shootout. It's a fun, exciting way to end games during a looong regular season, without burning out players by playing OT until someone wins.
As long as they never bring it anywhere near the playoffs, I'm ok with it.

Ask not for who the goalpost tolls, it tolls for thee!

Merry Christmas my friend! And best wishes to you and yours heading into the New Year.

Wow! We've reached the 2016 Stanley Cup finals and not a single post yet!
I know I'm not the only hockey fan here...my Hawks got bumped in the first round (7 games) by the Blues, but I've been watching when I can. I had picked Pittsburgh to reach the finals, but thought the Blues would bump off San Jose.

The Sharks are for real though...this is going to be a great Finals.
I'll say Sharks in 6!

!!!!!SHHHAAAAAARRRRRKS!!!!!

I'm still numb with the fact that the Sharks are in. They are getting contributions up and down the line up.  Let's hope they have 4 more wins in them.

Sorry rpic, but I'll counterbalance your vote with one for the Penguins!!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

Big congrats to our Pittsburgh Penguins!!!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

YES, A BIG CONGRATS TO THE PENS !!!

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Buzzy wrote:

Hey there Brother Bill

Glad u were able to take in the games .. always a real treat to be in that environment.

Not a fan of the 3/3 OT format at all.  Course I've never been a fan of the S/O either.  I've always been of the notion that the game be decided in OT .. 5/5, regardless of time extended.  Of course league administration feels that the entertainment value is better served with creative models that will enhance the game.

With the emphasis on the almighty dollar, multi-use facilities are utilized, creating havoc to a scheduling system.  It's ridiculous that teams can be subjected to three games in four nights, then be on week long lay-offs between other games.

Goalie equipment and net size is again up for discussion.  Personally, I see nothing wrong with the current application .. it's all ready been tweaked.  Today's goalies have their own coaches, pushing their expertise to a higher level.  They're bigger and better than they have ever been (well, <cough> most are .. lol) .  Perhaps the players need to be expected to do the same .. play to a higher level.  Of course, if the league wants more goals, they can always remove the goalies all together and turn the nets to face the boards .. lol.  If I will concede to anything, let it be a new design for the posts.  A design that will easily reward those shots that ring off the iron to actually go into the net.

Hope all is well with u, my friend .. have a wonderful festive season!

Keep ur stick on the ice eh .. lol

Cheers! cool

Well Buzzy, if you didn't see it, Brad Richards retired. He referred to how much the game has changed and creativity has given way to a north/south game, traffic in front and shots toward the net, bigger goalies, tighter checking...again, less creativity.
He mentioned only Patrick Kane and Sid as guys that still show some of that.
I still love hockey and won't say it's better or worse. I'll just point out that you and Richards seem to agree.
It is what it is, teams/players need to adapt or die.

I finally have a team to pull for in the hockey finals, go Predators ! The game last night was really bizarre, Pengs became the first team ever to win a finals game with only 12 shots on goal, and they made 5 of them, that is nutso. Preds outplayed them up and down the ice, no question about that, even Melrose stated so this morning. Any Pitt fans out there ?

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

There is hardly fighting in hockey anymore, especially in the playoffs.

WhoTheHeckisThat_NowIKnow wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:

OH CRAP!!!!!!! Back to the drawing board and next year. This is getting very frustrating!!!!!

Think Teal,

J Dawg

I won't watch hockey until they get rid of the fighting.

"Is it the new blues mobile or what?"                                                                                                                                                                                                     "Fix the cigarette lighter."

This playoff season has been amazing! Finally crossed something off bucket list and drove 6 hours to Washington to see Caps Pens game. Went alone and had a very good time. Haven't had a real team to root for since there was a team here in Ct...
But I don't like the Hawks or Pens...um Go Preds? Watching game 4 of the finals right now. Pekka Rinne is back!

"Is it the new blues mobile or what?"                                                                                                                                                                                                     "Fix the cigarette lighter."

CONGRATS PENS.......BACK TO BACK AGAIN.......:)

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

I had to check to see if it was April 1st.
The Blackhawks announced that Marian Hossa will not play the 2017/2018 season due to a skin condition he has been treated for the last few years, caused by an allergic reaction to the equipment he wears.
Evidently, it has gotten bad enough that he is taking a year off. Could this be the end of a stellar/HOF career?

Say it ain't so!