Topic: Way Huge Doubleland Special

I just noticed there doesn't seem to have been much discussion on here about the Way Huge Doubleland Specials that Joe has pictured on Instagram lately.

What do we know about it? My first assumption would seem to be that it's 2 Overrated Specials in one box with an option to have either on its own or pair them in series. Seem logical?

If that's the case then this is one pedal I won't be looking to buy since I already have a ORS and a Green Rhino, which is what the ORS was based off of...!!

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Re: Way Huge Doubleland Special

I think whatever Joe buys or uses doesn't have much of an impact on the average player since he plays large venues and, as he himself said, he makes no apologies for being really, really loud. So for any of Joe's gear to be useful to us in the way it would be for him you first have to turn your amp up to at least 8, which, for many, is enough overdrive already. In the demo of the Way Huge Overrated Special I think the straight over driven amp sounds better than when he turns the pedal on.

There are very few OD's that can really be good with a clean amp. Mad Professor's Baby Blue Overdrive is one and let me know how much success you have in getting one of those. Most pedals work best with a really loud amp and it seems blasting Marchall's went out with the 70s. Some of us are still a bit deaf in one or both ears from those days smile

NickelWound wrote:

There are very few OD's that can really be good with a clean amp. Mad Professor's Baby Blue Overdrive is one and let me know how much success you have in getting one of those. Most pedals work best with a really loud amp and it seems blasting Marchall's went out with the 70s. Some of us are still a bit deaf in one or both ears from those days smile

Sorry, but I have to disagree. My entire tone is built on a clean amp platform and OD pedals in front of it. Such is the case for a lot of players, Mike Landau for one, John Mayer is another. Horses for courses, but I haven't ever really warmed to an OD pedal into an already driven amp at normal volumes.

And my Overrated Special into my Pork Loin and/or Green Rhino sounds killer to me (And many others also complement me on it).

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional

Adrian J wrote:
NickelWound wrote:

Sorry, but I have to disagree. My entire tone is built on a clean amp platform and OD pedals in front of it. Such is the case for a lot of players, Mike Landau for one, John Mayer is another. Horses for courses, but I haven't ever really warmed to an OD pedal into an already driven amp at normal volumes.

And my Overrated Special into my Pork Loin and/or Green Rhino sounds killer to me (And many others also complement me on it).

I have to agree. Many on this forum chase Joe's tone but my reference is Matt Schofield and that has inspired by choice of gear. I play mainly a Fender Strat into a Fender Deluxe Reverb that is set clean. My tone comes from a Mad Professor Royal Blue overdrive and a Free The Tone MS-SOV overdrive. These pedals each have great individual tone but stacked (RB into SOV) they sound amazing.

I may have some of the gear used by Matt Schofield but alas my tone is all mine!

RichardH wrote:
Adrian J wrote:
NickelWound wrote:

I have to agree. Many on this forum chase Joe's tone but my reference is Matt Schofield and that has inspired by choice of gear. I play mainly a Fender Strat into a Fender Deluxe Reverb that is set clean. My tone comes from a Mad Professor Royal Blue overdrive and a Free The Tone MS-SOV overdrive. These pedals each have great individual tone but stacked (RB into SOV) they sound amazing.

I may have some of the gear used by Matt Schofield but alas my tone is all mine!

I had the MS-SOV and ended up selling it, very nice pedal, but wasn't the tone I was looking for...replaced it my Green Rhino, best TS I've had!!

6 (edited by NickelWound 2017-04-29 20:01:08)

AdrianJ wrote:

I had the MS-SOV and ended up selling it, very nice pedal, but wasn't the tone I was looking for...

Ohhhhh. I would have taken hat pedal off oyur hands in an instant.

So all this only proves that tone is a very subjective thing and we chase the tone we hear in our heads... OK until we hear Mato Nanji playing 'Hear my Train a Comin' and then want to throw out all our gear and sound like that.... at least I do. If a clean amp and a pedal get you where you want to be then fine.

Just one thought on Matt Schofield though. He sounds clean and often has softer parts of his songs clean since he rolls back his volume pot and his amp is very responsive to it. But he usually, if I'm not mistaken has his Two Rock up around 7 or 8, so we are already talking really,really loud. But he also runs a Mad Professor or some other pedal as a boost to push the front end of his amp which, if you listen closely, gives him a 'clean' tone but with some hair on it.

John Mayer on the other hand is the absolute King of clean tone. I still listen to his stuff from Any Given Thursday where he does 'Man on the Side' directly into a Fender Tremolux and what a clean sound! But I'm still hearing some 'hair' every now and then (maybe have to het my hearing checked) from his Keely boost.

NickelWound wrote:
AdrianJ wrote:

I had the MS-SOV and ended up selling it, very nice pedal, but wasn't the tone I was looking for...

So all this only proves that tone is a very subjective thing and we chase the tone we hear in our heads... OK until we hear Mato Nanji playing 'Hear my Train a Comin' and then want to throw out all our gear and sound like that.... at least I do. If a clean amp and a pedal get you where you want to be then fine.

Just one thought on Matt Schofield though. He sounds clean and often has softer parts of his songs clean since he rolls back his volume pot and his amp is very responsive to it. But he usually, if I'm not mistaken has his Two Rock up around 7 or 8, so we are already talking really,really loud. But he also runs a Mad Professor or some other pedal as a boost to push the front end of his amp which, if you listen closely, gives him a 'clean' tone but with some hair on it.

John Mayer on the other hand is the absolute King of clean tone. I still listen to his stuff from Any Given Thursday where he does 'Man on the Side' directly into a Fender Tremolux and what a clean sound! But I'm still hearing some 'hair' every now and then (maybe have to het my hearing checked) from his Keely boost.

You make a good point. I think there is clean and then there is clean. In a tube amp clean is rarely the same as clean in a tranny or digital amp. I regard my Deluxe Reverb as being clean until the volume gets to about half way but to be honest even at lower house volume settings there is the slightest hint of grit....and I love it. It is what tube amp tone is all about and why we crave them.

RichardH wrote:
NickelWound wrote:
AdrianJ wrote:

You make a good point. I think there is clean and then there is clean. In a tube amp clean is rarely the same as clean in a tranny or digital amp. I regard my Deluxe Reverb as being clean until the volume gets to about half way but to be honest even at lower house volume settings there is the slightest hint of grit....and I love it. It is what tube amp tone is all about and why we crave them.

Oh yes, won't disagree there!! I think of that almost as warmth rather than dirt though...

As an aside, on Any Given Thursday, John Mayer was playing through more then just a Tremolux, he had a Super Reverb RI and a Dual Professional on stage as well that he used at various points, his comments at the time were that he wanted to be able to get louder without getting dirtier when he wanted to. And of course he has since gone on to use a Dumble SSS, possibly one of the cleanest LOUD amps there is!!

It will be interesting to hear demos of the new pedal but I definitely won't go after it. 1. Since the 1st one was 200.00 this one will probably be twice as much. And 2. I'm not really liking the Overated Special.... I've been torn between selling and or taking it off my board and storing. I've always sold what I don't use/want but I've also come to regret that because every pedal as a use somewhere! LOL Specially OD pedals... I'm a bedroom player and as many have said, this one needs a loud amp to come alive.

For me a great clean amp and pedals are awesome. But used properly a overdriven amp and a overdrive pedal can really add special harmonics to your tone but a distortion pedal into a overdriven amp in most cases sounds nasty at least to me. Basically I think most players think stick a pedal I front and crank. I get the best tone out of the amp first I view pedals as simply enhancements carefully adjusted to add a little touch of something which most of the time is in the feel and articulation of the strings. But you know thats my viewpoint and not anyone viewpoint is right or wrong it is simply what works for you.
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others