Topic: Dr Z Maz 18 vs Marshall 20 watt lead and bass reissue

Hey there fellow Bonafans. I'm buying a new amp but I'm stuck between these two amps. A friend says I should go with Maz because new Marshall amps don't sound the same anymore, but personally I'm leaning towards the lead and bass. The tone I'm after lately has been Joe's early tone like on Blues Deluxe and Had to Cry Today. What are your ideas?

Re: Dr Z Maz 18 vs Marshall 20 watt lead and bass reissue

TeleMan23 wrote:

Hey there fellow Bonafans. I'm buying a new amp but I'm stuck between these two amps. A friend says I should go with Maz because new Marshall amps don't sound the same anymore, but personally I'm leaning towards the lead and bass. The tone I'm after lately has been Joe's early tone like on Blues Deluxe and Had to Cry Today. What are your ideas?

Tone is 100% subjective. Play them both and see what YOU like. Joe's tone.......you aren't Joe. Most of the tone is in the hands anyway. You could play through Joe's live rig and you won't sound like Joe, you will sound like you.

As far as the two amps you are looking at, what are you doing with them? Gigging? Bedroom volumes? What are the uses?

I personally would rather have the Maz 18. I'm not a big pedal fan, and the newer Marshalls sound "tinny and thin" to me. But again, it's all personal preference.

3 (edited by macg1 2017-03-14 13:58:37)

Apples and oranges here. Those two amps share very little in common; the wattage is about the same and both are EL84 based. Play both. I would say the Maz will be more pedal friendly if that is your approach while the the Marshall is more of an old school, everything from the guitar kind of amp. That said, Paul Gilbert does use those 2061x heads with pedals and sounds really good. I recently heard Greg Martin play a 2061x and through a 4x12 the tone was pure marshall goodness.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

I have looked at these two amps in the past.  Totally different but equally as nice.  Tones will be different no doubt but for what each does is amazing.  To my ears, the Marshall 2061x is my ultimate amp.  I absolutely love the tones from them.  Was talking to Johnny A not to long ago about a pair he picked up.  He loved them...he did a little demo clip on his facebook page and the tones were killer even for more of a jazz/blues fusion type tones...

Someday I hope to own one....

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

I say go with the Dr. Z Maz Jr. NR!  I've had that head for God knows how long and I love it.  The compression is a little less and some think it limits the headroom but I've never agreed.  And it will take all types of pedals very well.

Currently I'm running it through a single cab with a EVM 12L.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Contact Carol Ann amps. He is making a killer 18w.
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

I've had a MAZ 38 for about 15 years and it's been amazing for me.  Built like an absolute tank and sounds great with every guitar.  I don't know how close the 18 is to the 38, but my 38 is not Marshall-y at all to my ears, it's much more Vox-y.  Fat, full, round cleans, but it will break up a little bit if you crank it.  It's great with pedals, and that's how I typically get my OD.  It's freaking loud for 38 watts.  I would not hesitate to buy another Dr. Z - extremely high quality through and through.

I don't particularly hear Joe's Blues Deluxe/Had to Cry Today tone coming out of the Z, though, if that's what you're going for.

Have you thought about the Marshall Mini Jubilee? That's about the same wattage too. Surely that would get you the Joe tones you're looking for...

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet