Topic: Berklee Show in Boston

Hi,

It is about 1:00 a.m. and I just got home from the Berklee show. WOW. The band was on and Joe was simply amazing. One of my friends who had not seen Joe before kept smiling and hitting me during the show. One more convert. His guitar work was just blistering no matter whether iit was his les paul, gigliotti, strat, or acoustic. you could hardly see his fingers moving they were going so fast. the crowd was great alot of bantering making Joe smile. Carmine and Bogie were just having fun. Even his tech was playing air guitar. I will have difficulty sleeping but you can be sure I will wear my new tour shirt proudly tomorrow and my 7 year old will want to hear every detail and my wife grown and say there is more to the world than Joe and killer music, and tomorrow when I need a break from what really is a great life with my family I will drift back and remember High Water, Ball Peen Hammer, The Jimmy Page licks and grin my A** off. Good Night All!

Matt

Re: Berklee Show in Boston

I totally agree, what an amazing show.  The crowd was great but a little much at times,  and anyone whose there will agree with me that "the comment" made by a girl in the upper level was a little awkward...lol  anyway I got to meet Joe for the first time(I have been waiting for a long time to meet him) and he was cool beans!  got a picture and everything,  im a very happy camper.  Joe if you read this you rock and thanks so much for taking to time talk and take a picture with me!  YOU ROCK
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

The show itself was great.  Joe is an awesome guitar player and I really enjoyed myself.  I also really liked the Todd Wolfe set.

The crowd was a bit much, especially when interrupting Joe's solos, even if the comments and banter were a bit amusing.  I also didn't like it when they yelled during soft parts... but that's just me, of course.

Another thing that bothered me a little bit (again, not Joe's fault at all!) were the lights at the venue... were they trying to do effects or not?  I thought it was a bit lame, since when they were flashing them, they weren't even in time with the music.

Overall though, I really had a good time.  The band was tight and played well.  Definitely worth the money!

I would wholeheartedly agree. Joe was the best I have seen, which seems to be each time I see him! Really, he was definitely on his game last night. He looks a little trimmer, and he was definitely relaxed. Very vocal crowd, and he was interacting a little more. He definitley basked in the applause and cheers, which he should; it is his reward for a lot of hard work.

Not for nothing, but he should take some more of these short breaks, but not because he is sick; all of them need to re-charge, and if it means a few less shows, but shows that are of the caliber that we witnessed last night, I would be the first to vote for it. I listened to the show from New York the previous night, and I would have to say that the Boston show was even better. I caught the audience absolutley awestruck and silent a number of times as the Bonamagic cast its spell.

The hall was great for the show, being an acoustically designed performance center for the Berklee College of Music. I have seen him in a variety of venues, and this definitley did his talents right.

I agree that the craowd was a bit much, but I am betting that there were a few college students in the audience. You know, that whole "instant gratification" thing, looking for the great stuff right away, not waiting through the build-up. I also agree that woman's comment about her "O" from his playing was a bit much, but the best comment of the night, mainly because of its timing, was during the "Woke-Up Dreaming" collection, was during a slight lull in the piece you heard "How does he do that?!" yelld out from the back of the hall. You can tell Joe enjoyed that. He had his his down playing, and he just started shaking his head,  a little smirk peeking out. I will say this, it beats the hell out of the A**holes that come to see the show at one of the club venues and decide to discuss everything under the sun during the show. I think anyone attends a show should be issued a paint ball gun, and if one of those jerks shows up, if they annoy you, you shoot them. Anyone with more than 3 paintball marks on them gets tossed. At least you knew the yellers last night were watching the show.

Crosby Loggins was plesantly suprising. Not that i thought he would suck, but he held his own up there alone. Very talented. I can see why  Joe brought him under his wing.

Keep it up joe, you have hit a great stride. You have definitley crossed over into the next stage of your journey.

I don't want to give anybody any ideas but in respect to comments yelled during the show. I was at a show this spring when during the acoustic set some one yelled out. "Will you marry my sister?" That broke Joe's concentration a bit. I agree with two assesments stated in earlier posts. The crowds in the theatres are better behaved even with the occasional light hearted heckel. Working one or two less shows a week allows for all to keep rested. The theatres allow for that. As the shows get bigger the work week can shorten. Not that it will since Joe is a Bonafied workaholic.

6 (edited by Rocket 2007-10-27 09:19:27)

jim m wrote:

I don't want to give anybody any ideas but in respect to comments yelled during the show. I was at a show this spring when during the acoustic set some one yelled out. "Will you marry my sister?" That broke Joe's concentration a bit. I agree with two assesments stated in earlier posts. The crowds in the theatres are better behaved even with the occasional light hearted heckel. Working one or two less shows a week allows for all to keep rested. The theatres allow for that. As the shows get bigger the work week can shorten. Not that it will since Joe is a Bonafied workaholic.

Thanks for the reports, and welcome newly signed on members! I have heard, especially during "Woke Up Dreaming" of course, many words that are used for cussing and swearing in anger often and usually, but instead are exclaimed in amazement and not wanting to have to distract oneself by reaching deep into the cranium for a expression more congenial.  Those always make me smile at the "live" event, even if they later on make me cringe when I hear a concert recording of the "offense".  Sounds like a great time in Beantown.

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I forgot to mention in my iniial post that my seat was Row A seat 105 which was front row dead on center. I have been luky enough to get good seats the four times I have seen Joe. One thing that always stands out is that his finger work is so natural. Alot like Hendrix was when you see him in his videos. That is talent. His expressions when he plays show shear passion for the instrument and for the music.

Thanks to all who reported and welcome to the newbies. Sounds like things are back to "normal". I guess it's true, you can't keep a good man down....Cathy

adavison wrote:

I also agree that woman's comment about her "O" from his playing was a bit much,

Was this the person that got the "Shush" from Joe?  I must have missed that comment, and my  fiance was asking who that was for.  We had front row balcony, nice to be able to see everyone from up top, no drummer hiding behind the rack. 

Hopefully by tuesday night, i should have the film developed and scanned from the one roll I didn't shoot at that one concert with the camera I didn't bring.

The "Shush" was during "Asking around for You" while he was trying to hold that one note forever. It was just some exclamation that i bet he felt diturbed the moment.

One thing that I forgot to mention that, especially during the "Just GotPaid/Dazed and Confused" medley, I looked around and there was no one moving, talking, no movement at all and everyone just stared, jaws dropped in absolute amazement, watching Joe at work. Tremendous.

adavison wrote:

The "Shush" was during "Asking around for You" while he was trying to hold that one note forever. It was just some exclamation that i bet he felt diturbed the moment.

One thing that I forgot to mention that, especially during the "Just GotPaid/Dazed and Confused" medley, I looked around and there was no one moving, talking, no movement at all and everyone just stared, jaws dropped in absolute amazement, watching Joe at work. Tremendous.

You are correct adavision that Joe's "Shush" is intended (as a pseudo-scripted response Joe's developed for that moment of the concert program to request everyone's attention gently) to quell any exclamations from disturbing the moment while he pulls that singular note down to the the average person's barely audible ear level, plant it gently in there, where once rooted, it's encouraged to a careful yet certain steady growth, finally broadcasting itself firmly, self-assuredly, then loudly the signal to "bring it on home, boys"...Professional Showmanship at it's finest!  Maybe after the next President-elect screws up and Joe turns 35 he SHOULD run for the office in 2012!!!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I would be remiss if I did not recognize the outstanding "attack" solo by Mr. Hargrove Boles at the Berklee Performance Center Friday night. I did not know that the human arm could move so fast!

While I thought Joe was awesome at Berklee I enjoyed the show earlier this year in Ridgefield CT more. Compared to that show, I thought he seemed a little tired. I was sitting off to the right, about 16 rows back, and in my seat anyway; Joe’s guitars often seemed a little lost in the mix, the LPs in particular. This didn't seem to be the case with Todd Wolfe, who I thought was great too BTW. The Gigliotti and acoustic guitars seemed fine, in fact the acoustics could be a bit boom-y. Same issue with the vocals, a little uneven volume-wise. I would have thought the acoustics in a music school performance venue would be top notch.
I was bummed when "If Heartaches Were Nickels" turned out to be an abbreviated acoustic version, though I'm sure Joe's getting sick of playing that song, it's still one of my favorites.
Still an otherworldly guitar player and a very memorable performance, lucky me... I have tickets for the postponed Providence show. I'm looking forward to it.

The sound was a bit odd, we were front row balcony on the left side.  Crosby's vocals were lost in the guitar, Todd's guitar was scorching the PA, but Joe sounded pretty good unless things got  heavy, then they were decent sounding.  My fiancee, who has attended the likes of Metallica and Korn up close and personal, thought it was ridiculously loud in there at times.  The last time I was there was to see Vernon Reid, front row center, and it sounded good enough.  That was 3-4 years ago, my memory could be fading though. 

I am just happy the show didn't get cancelled, we returned early from a vacation trip just to go. Joe, get some more rest!

wasteoffilm wrote:

The sound was a bit odd, we were front row balcony on the left side.  Crosby's vocals were lost in the guitar, Todd's guitar was scorching the PA, but Joe sounded pretty good unless things got  heavy, then they were decent sounding.  My fiancee, who has attended the likes of Metallica and Korn up close and personal, thought it was ridiculously loud in there at times.  The last time I was there was to see Vernon Reid, front row center, and it sounded good enough.  That was 3-4 years ago, my memory could be fading though. 

I am just happy the show didn't get cancelled, we returned early from a vacation trip just to go. Joe, get some more rest!

I saw Steve Vai at Berklee a few weeks ago and the sound was great.  I was sitting further back, though; I was in balcony 2 RR for Vai and balcony 1 row C for Joe.  At least they didn't cut Joe short like they did to Steve.