Re: New JBonamassa.com Site

Hey all,

So yep, I got this notification to my email at 2:59pm, so within a minute of the post.
There's no way for us to really "troubleshoot" the notification system. It's a feature on the board, which we can't improve or edit. If it's working for some and not others, there's no options we can play with to fix it. This whole board is quite antiquated and feature-lean. We can play with the colors... and that's really about it. I know you guys have shown other message boards with more features. We know they exist. The problem is that they're on wildly different platforms and if we switched to them, we'd lose everything. Users, posts, etc. I'm going to be quite frank here. This forum is something we keep going for the fans. You notice we don't try to sell things here, promote products, or anything. It's just a place for you guys to hang out and talk. There's no reason for us to change anything on here. Some of you might want a new feature here and there, but this is the internet. No matter what we do or don't do, people will complain about something. So admins like me will keep browsing on here from time to time, making sure that management knows what fans opinions are, but we don't do much to interfere with YOUR forums. It's for you guys, not us.

-JBWM

Jane H. wrote:

Hi Scott, thank you. I also got a notification so hopefully those who have trouble with the feature can figure it out.
(and hopefully the unsubscribe i just did will work wink )

My apologies for seemingly bugging you.
Perhaps some of us misunderstood the intent of your original post!

While some of the comments turned to be about this forum - hey that's where we are - but many are about the new site itself.
and i thought you were asking for suggestions on that. Personally i prefer the way this forum is now but i also understand the suggestions others have given.

I sure don't want to be complaining or do ANYTHING to put this forum in jeapordy. I hink I can speak for most, we have needs and preferences but this is about Joe to us! and we are trying to be helpful. smile
Shame really the value of it isn't recognized beyond a place for us to hang out, but i do understand what you are saying otherwise, and appreciate you being frank. FWIW

Do you still care for feedback on the website beyond the forum (per your original post)?

and truly - if you can play with the colors - and there is no office need or desire for it to be black and red than at least give us back the blue???? NOT a huge deal though - just going off your comment. smile

Yep, we got a bit off topic for this thread being about the new site, but I just answer what questions I can regardless.

So, I can go on record saying the forum is not in jeopardy. We're keeping it exactly the same. We changed some colors to match Joe's long standing branding and I think it will look more official to new members. If other members want the old color scheme, it can be changed back to blue at any time in your account options.

On to the new site. There's a "mini-store" on the homepage for obvious reasons. Same as why there's a lot of products in the newsletter. We design, make and market all of the products and that money goes right to Joe's company, paying for things like yours truly to talk to fans... but mainly so Joe can keep building, displaying and preserving one of the best collections of guitar history in the world. It's more than his personal collection now, he openly calls it the Bona-seum. The reason we gave the products their own spot on the homepage wasn't just to sell more stuff. We have a separate store for that. It's because the 2 most clicked on things from the old site were Tour Dates and the Store. Fans were directly voting on what should be on the home page. It's also why we put the most clicked on things from the store on to the mini-store. It's to try to give fans a great experience. The reason that the Forum link is now under a "Fans" section is because it didn't get enough clicks to prove to be what most casual fans wanted to find when they went to the site. There's a bunch of you guys on the forums, no question... but we get hundreds of thousands of new people every month going to the site... and sorry to say, they aren't looking for the forum. They want tickets, the new DVD, Joe's Facebook link, or to send Joe a message. That's why the site is laid out the way it is. When you can't please everyone, try to please as many as you can and take the comments with a grain of salt wink

-Scott (JBWM)

I am quite happy with the old place as is.  Thanks for the reasoning behind not making the link to the forum more visible.  Glad to see we aren't going anyplace soon.  We do appreciate it.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

40 (edited by nmagcorn 2016-09-17 16:07:08)

Hmm, this is kind of strange. Just noticed that there is no button labeled "fans" on the top header when I use an iPad, but all the other buttons are there. So there is no way to access the forum through the jbonamassa site with that device. However, when I am on my laptop it is there.

Jane H. wrote:

My tablet thing has a menu in upper right, a few horizontal lines
Then the tabs show up in the middle. Had to try a couple times to click it cause the pop up was competing, but its working for me right now

That's just how it was on my laptop at first, its been working fine for a while now, no issues.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

JBWM wrote:

Hey all,

So yep, I got this notification to my email at 2:59pm, so within a minute of the post.
There's no way for us to really "troubleshoot" the notification system. It's a feature on the board, which we can't improve or edit. If it's working for some and not others, there's no options we can play with to fix it. This whole board is quite antiquated and feature-lean. We can play with the colors... and that's really about it. I know you guys have shown other message boards with more features. We know they exist. The problem is that they're on wildly different platforms and if we switched to them, we'd lose everything. Users, posts, etc. I'm going to be quite frank here. This forum is something we keep going for the fans. You notice we don't try to sell things here, promote products, or anything. It's just a place for you guys to hang out and talk. There's no reason for us to change anything on here. Some of you might want a new feature here and there, but this is the internet. No matter what we do or don't do, people will complain about something. So admins like me will keep browsing on here from time to time, making sure that management knows what fans opinions are, but we don't do much to interfere with YOUR forums. It's for you guys, not us.

-JBWM

Well I will be frank also. Your comment makes some feel that anything that is posted on this forum is not that important to anyone but the fans. That somehow bothers me. It seems you do not understand the importance of this forum to most of us fans. Some of us thought this forum was just as important to JR management as it is to us. We felt and heard regularly from JR and sometimes Joe on this forum. THAT IS WHAT MADE IT SPECIAL. I guess that is no longer true. To bad you guys are missing a very big point to all of this. You should rethink this.
My two cents
cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

43 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2016-09-18 11:21:37)

cindyron wrote:
JBWM wrote:

Hey all, ...

It's for you guys, not us.

-JBWM

Well I will be frank also. Your comment makes some feel that anything that is posted on this forum is not that important to anyone but the fans. That somehow bothers me. It seems you do not understand the importance of this forum to most of us fans. Some of us thought this forum was just as important to JR management as it is to us. We felt and heard regularly from JR and sometimes Joe on this forum. THAT IS WHAT MADE IT SPECIAL. I guess that is no longer true. To bad you guys are missing a very big point to all of this. You should rethink this.
My two cents
cheers Ron

Well said Ron.

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

RoadcaseBoy wrote:
cindyron wrote:
JBWM wrote:

Hey all, ...

It's for you guys, not us.

-JBWM

My two cents
cheers Ron

Well said Ron.

Nothing new this place has been the red headed step child of the organization since it's inception having someone from the office post here is the exception not the rule. I don't think anything was meant by the comments made other than we are fans that don't need to be marketed to we are already here. Their priority is new fans that come to the main site and if they do find this that's OK but again it is not the first thing they should see. It still is a great source of information and they have worked to stop the spam. It has always gone through cycles of activity and has always been maintained albeit not at the top of the list priority wise but they have always gotten around to it. This place is what we make it which I like. Fakebook is for the great unwashed and where they spend the lions share of time and effort which is understandable the traffic there is mind boggling. Way too impersonal that is why so many prefer this forum and the groups on Facebook where fans control content. So think of this as our own Facebook group without having to be on Facebook.

45 (edited by DougH 2016-09-19 05:13:09)

Well this fan forum used to be unique when Joe would chime in often, he doesn't do that much any more, if at all, in favour of Twitter and Periscope

Next thing was the street teaming
Where you could get yourself on a meet N greet,
Back in the "old days" you needed to do that to get the secret decoder handshake from Alex to get the pre-sale code too.

Now they're just posted on Facebook..
It's like the Fan Street Team has fallen through too.

So yeah the forum is really just chatter amongst ourselves by the looks of it.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

jim m wrote:

Nothing new this place has been the red headed step child of the organization since it's inception ... This place is what we make it which I like.

I'm repeating myself ... but as with Ron ... "Well said" jim m. ... both posts summerized my thoughts on this issue ... and lit a spark to try and help keep it the great place I have always found it to be.

Said another way ...
https://youtu.be/hjjhN9bAeQE

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Jane H. wrote:

BIG thanks to whoever got the blue back on the forum!!! (hope noone liked the red more....)
Don't know its permanent but I noticed it this afternoon
and I feel like an ^%$(*&^ to say it but now I don't know when I am logged in - I got used to it! big_smile - but I can just go into my profile and switch the theme for when I am logged in.
FWIW if anyone didn't know I also adjusted how many posts per page there. Its helpful if searching for a term in a thread - did a long time ago - I forget what the default is prob 25..i upped it to 75 - that way its less pages to use my 'find' feature if I am looking for something specific. ex, in the 6 words or less thread in off topics, I do my best not to repeat myself but ten years of posts...so I do try to search blahblah..... wink

At first I thought I had forgotten to log out, lol. It is nice to have it back to being blue. Feels like home again smile

Hey we all got the blues again!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

They had said when they changed to red/black had said.
If you go under your profile and set it to I think classic it's the old colour scheme.

But even if you've changed it to blue, if you don't sign in you'll see the red/black till you do.

Last I read about that

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

The forum has reverted to the original blue, but when I log in, it goes red again!
C'est la vie.

Lester..

Apologies if this has previously been mentioned and I'm sure its something that pre-dates the new look web site & forum, but for a while now I've not been getting email notification when new posts have been added to subscribed threads.
No big deal, as there's indicators that posts have been added to threads but some are of more interest than others.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:

Apologies if this has previously been mentioned and I'm sure its something that pre-dates the new look web site & forum, but for a while now I've not been getting email notification when new posts have been added to subscribed threads.
No big deal, as there's indicators that posts have been added to threads but some are of more interest than others.

I think the forum is of much lesser importance unfortunately

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Keep up the good work Jane. I always need a good fix at least three times a day. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Jane H. wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Hi Banshee, we've been trying to trouble shoot this a bit.
Another user mentioned the same thing. I gave it a try - never had used it before.
It worked for me (and its working for JBWM) but I noticed that it said something - regarding the fact that you won't get new notices on the same thread - until you log in again, like if you get a notice that a new post has been made on a thread you subscribed to - you won't get another notice about that thread until you read it when logged in?

not sure if that was any different than before as I never tried to subscribe before. and I promptly unsubscribed after testing it before - i look tooooo often - and don't need extra emails. Obviously you log in often though BansheeUK, thanks for spam report work (thanks to others who do so too)! I'll do my best to try to help get this working. Its working for JBWM so...IDK - the more details the better I guess. I'll try to experiment more soon.

and yea Ron, I think you are saying the forum is lesser importance to the office than the rest of the site, but this place is important to me so I'll put the extra effort. The office will work with us if we are nice and patient. Easier said than done but I have A lot of my ♥ invested here so I'll take what I can get.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this; as I said, no biggy but I found it handy getting a heads up if someone had replied to a post/thread and I hadn't been able to pick it up for a few days and it had slipped back a couple of pages.

Happy to help out with the spam reporting; as moderator on another forum I know what a nuisance they can be.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...