1 (edited by bobkatmsu 2015-09-11 18:14:42)

Topic: Gary Clark Jr.

The Story of Sonny Boy Slim, just released today.  Have listened a couple times already, shows steady progression from stellar first album.  Still has a ways to go transferring the energy of his live album to the studio, but, who doesn't.  A great talent that is few and far between.  My litmus test on a new album is, "I can't wait to share this with someone I know would enjoy it."  This is one of those albums.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

Re: Gary Clark Jr.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

thanks, - Amazon reviews have not been so favourable with criticism of it not being guitar focused enough leaning towards hip hop...

- Agree Gary is good live, but Blak and Blu was a mixed album..... wish he had taken advice on his career from Joe and not John Mayer wink

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Not sure where the hip hop critique comes from.  That would have chased me away for sure.  If anything, there are a couple Motown sounding cuts.  The guitar work is understated, but there is plenty there to remind you how good he is.  I just think there is a depth to his writing and playing that I enjoy and like to see what direction he takes next.  I'm a believer in his talent.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

Still can't convince me entirely. He stays way behind his potential. The new album is slightly better, but if I'm in for a cool new modern mix of Blues, Funk & Soul there's nothing better than Jonny Lang's latest output.

Jimi75 wrote:

Still can't convince me entirely. He stays way behind his potential. The new album is slightly better, but if I'm in for a cool new modern mix of Blues, Funk & Soul there's nothing better than Jonny Lang's latest output.

Good stuff.  Just shows how different people like different things.  Johnny Lang does absolutely nothing for me.  Completely over rated to my ear.  I guess we can say we agree on Joe.

I was able to listen to the whole album one time through.
I will say it's a high quality musical work.
However I do find it is mostly not the style of music I prefer.
I give him credit for not just being a blues rocker.However I wonder how this will affect his popularity overall.Unless it finds him a different base of followers?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

The first 2 songs are great but don't set the tone for the rest of the album. As expected he goes into different territories and sometimes reminds me of Prince.

A very haphazard album. But I still admire what he does.

He's such a great talent.  I've seen him live three times, and will again in Boston on Oct 31st. He's fantastic live. But his studio work is such a head scratcher. Black and Blu was average at best. Then he realeased an iTunes only version of almost the same called iTunes Session, and it was incredible. Live in the studio and raw, the way you expect Gary Clark Jr to be.  I had high hopes for this latest cd. I was convinced it was gonna be a blues cd, based on the title.  Unfortunately, as Bonmetal said, it's not all that after the first two songs.

I've listened to Sonny Boy Slim,  and the jury is still out, but Gary Clark Jr Live is some of the best dam music I've heard in a long long time.   He is great live,  but his studio stuff is so so.

I'm thinking about going to see him live in February but there are too many concerts within a couple weeks of each other and I have to pick and choose.  Sounds like people that have seen him live dig it - is that the case?  I like the stuff I've heard, but don't own any of his albums other than the "Bright Lights" EP.

I've given GC Jr's new album a good go ............. and its not for me.    Hope it sells well and he's good with it, but I really hope I don't hear much of it when I see him live on March 1 .    I prefer to hear him play blues rock.

Amazing gig of Gary at De Arenberg at Antwerp last saturday.

Gary on Jimmy Kimmel tonight (Wed 12/16/15)  11:35 PM EST

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

my daughter bought me the Sonny Boy album last week for my birthday, - and I was pleasantly surprised. It is no “don’t owe you  thang” style album, - but he has managed to bring out a very soulful voice rather than a blues riff guitar heavy album, - and listened to with an open mind I think it a real grower. It is a return to an album that needs a bit of listening to to really “get-it”.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

I have yet to really click with Gary Clark Jr. I have both the albums and I like a few songs from both. I really enjoy Bright Lights. I enjoy the rock blues side of the artist but it doesn't seem that he drifts that way in his albums.  In line with what Kenny was saying the first two songs from the new album don't really show how the record was going to go. I was disappointed with the shift in tone. I would definitely purchase a third album from him based on potential when it comes down to it:

Guitars: Gibson 2015 LP Traditional in Honeyburst, Gibson LP Studio Deluxe, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, MIM Fender Strat with Dimarzio Areas, MIM Fender Hss Strat,  Epiphone Sheraton II, Breedlove Acoustic
Amplitube 4 with Scarlett 6i6 and 2i4 interfaces through studio monitors.

Get his 2-disc live album. It's the best thing he's put out. I've seen him live and he sounds completely different in a live environment than he does in the studio. Plus, the guitar tones that he and Zapata get live are stunning.

Guitars: 1974 LP Custom, 2013 R8
Amps: '88 JCM 800 w/ TV cab, Tone King Falcon
Effects: Fulltone Clyde, Monsterpiece Stud, EP Booster, Strymon El Capistan

Gary is great, but the 1st disc is a classic...the 2nd, a sophomore slump, but still a few good tunes. The LIVE disc is great. Saw him live and close up a year ago...Really great original stuff spanning Blues, Rock, and Soul...

Murfdog