Re: Welcome back Aynsley Lister!!!

Aynsley at Highway 61, Ceske Budejovice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRdwvSfMgaY

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Once again, another fantastic night down at Guisborough Footie Club, and another Sold Out show.

I’m at the point where I’m really struggling to say something new about Aynsley’s show: I’m pleased to report that the injured foot seems well on the way to recovery, no supporting cast anyway.

Speaking of supporting casts though *groan* Steve and Boneto were indomitable as ever on the back row, though there was a new(ish) face for the evening behind the keys, Jules, doing sterling work. The big “newbie” of the night was Aynsley’s brand new (only 2 gigs old) Probett Stratocaster. I swear, every time he reached for the new, white axe, the grin on his face got bigger and bigger; not surprising since it has a beautiful, mellow tone.

Little gem of the night was a guest jam by local boy Andrew Pipe, not on Sugar as has been the usual over the past couple of years, but on Freddie King’s Tore Down. They tore it up, down and every which way.

There’s two things in life you can rely on; Aynsley & the band always giving a quality gig and the unreliability of the British Summer weather. With that in mind, Saturday’s open-air gig at South Shields’ Amphitheatre was bound to be a meeting of the unmoveable object and the unstoppable force.

Much of the sound check was given over to covering and securing the equipment under the threatening skies and brisk winds. Andre’s keyboard was still covered, Steve tried to do much the same with his amp and pedals, Aynsley was desperate for a hat but it was Boneto you had to feel for: he spent most of the time securing every piece of his kit to the riser; the cymbals were already acting like the blades of a Chinook helicopter and you couldn’t help but feel that if the wind picked-up any more, Boneto, the kit and the riser would end up anywhere between Sunderland and Stockholm. That should give a fair impression of the challenges some of us avoided from the shelter of Minchellas and a hot coffee..

The evening was due to be started by an acoustic Russ Tippins, but after the problems setting up and the likelihood of the weather adding rain to the problems, Russ generously demurred his set to let the band play as much as they could. Everything got away in fine form, the hardy folks of Shields who turned out were getting warmed up as the guys grooved though Sugar and Inside Out. They just got into Hyde 2612 and the first drops of rain hit causing an impromptu break, and a speedy cover-up and dive for shelter.

Fortunately; the squall wasn’t long lasting and it was soon back down to business with Tore Down and a thumping second half-set ending with the ubiquitous Purple Rain, for which the sun briefly showed it’s face. For that, and the endurance of a hardy crowd, the band came back for a deserved encore and a very hot & funky improv worked round James Brown’s Sex Machine. Such are the joys of performing at open-air festivals. The song of the evening though, I’m not sure if it was already in the set-list or whether it was included due to the weather, but it certainly summed it up – Hurricane.

On the flip-side, good to see that a number of folk did turn out to check out the band, as well as a good number of regulars. It also gave me an opportunity to catch up with a couple of old friends I haven’t seen in an embarrassingly long time, but I think will be at a few Aynsley shows in the future.

As an end note - the South Tyneside Festival runs throughout the summer with bands on at the Amphitheatre on Thursdays and Saturdays as well as matinee shows in July in neighbouring Bents Park, with a mix of bands to give a “something for everyone” feel - and they’re FREE!!!

184 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-06-09 05:47:47)

As you may have seen in the What Song Are You Listening To Right Now? thread, Aynsley has been trying out the producer's chair for size, working on STR label signee Till Bennewitz' debut album. Have to say, he's done a great job building a showcase for Till, but then, working with the likes of Wayne Proctor (who probably did some "twiddling" during the coffee breaks....) and Bod Fridzema along with James Hartley on bass.

Aynsley also contributed lead & slide guitar on all the tracks but especially effective on Drive-in Queen.

This weekend there was the Summertime Blues Festival from Muddy`s Club in Weinheim/Germany.
Performing were Ian Parker, Aynsley Lister and Zach Prather.
Here now Ian & Aynsley who know each other from the Ruf Records Blues Caravan Tour (Pilgrimage), enjoy:

https://youtu.be/gyWtvAZMytg

Aynsley is nominated for the British Blues Award 2015 in two categories:
- Male Vocals,
- Guitar,
Congrats, wish you luck!

187 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-09-03 08:04:35)

Aynsley is making 2 appearances at the  Joldelund Guitar Heroes Festival this month; at Gerd's Juke Joint on the 11th Sept, along with Laurence Jones, Simon McBride and Tony Spinner as well as doing a solo/acoustic slot on the 12th at lunchime.

Then in October, he'll be doing his customary European tour:-

Oct14 ch Seewen Gaswerk - Band
Oct15 at Rankweil Altes Kino - Band
Oct16 ch Rubigen Muhle Hunziken - Band
Oct17 ch Kirchberg Eintracht - Band
Oct18 de Wolfach Klausenbauernhof (changed from Rittergarten) - Band
Oct20 de Karlsruhe Jubez - Band
Oct21 de Metzingen-Glems Hirsch - Band
Oct22 de Stuttgart Laboratorium - Band
Oct23 de Oldenburg Charly's Music Pub - Band
Oct25 nl Apeldoorn Bluescafe - Band

PS - for those who don't get Aynsley's newsletter email - there was a hint on the latest edition that he's started work on a new album for early 2016 release, so there may be a coupe new songs in the set..... maybe.....

annaforjoe wrote:

Aynsley is nominated for the British Blues Award 2015 in two categories:
- Male Vocals,
- Guitar,
Congrats, wish you luck!

Aynsley won the British Blues Awards 2015, category "Guitar"! Well deserved...

Yep, well deserved one of my favourite recording artists and live performers.

Keeps getting better too. Home was a superb album.

Word is that Aynsley is busy writing & working on new material with plans to hit the studio early 2016 for a new album later in the year.

Might get a sneek preview of new song Grande Mafioso [working title] on the road this autumn/winter.

Cool I've already got my tickets.....I really need to get one of his guitar tuition weekends sorted too.

dave_5150 wrote:

Cool I've already got my tickets.....I really need to get one of his guitar tuition weekends sorted too.

Again, there are 2 week-ends running this year at Denham Grove - Jan 15th - 17th  and Feb 19th -21st.
Open to all abilities, whether you're at the "round the neck, stringy-side out" stage or a "fret-burner".
More details through Aynsley's website.

Aynsley went to Poland earlier this year, with a 10 piece band.

Here's an excerpt:-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8R8pAP … e=youtu.be

January's Guitar Week-end (15th - 17th) 2016 is Sold Out, but places still available for February...... Get in quick...

Aynsley for Germany, April 2016:-

Apr09 Hannover - Blues Garage - +49- (0) 511-72 46 966 (Band)
Apr10 Erfurt - Museumskeller - +49 (0) 361 5 62 49 94 (Band)
Apr12 Bremen - Meisenfrei - 0421-69639540 (Band)
Apr13 Bonn - Harmonie - 02 28 / 61 40 42 (Band)
Apr14 Bensheim - Musiktheater REX - +49 6251 680199 (Band)
Apr15 Freudenburg - Ducsaal - +49 6582 257 (Band)
Apr16 Reichenbach - Die Halle - 07153 / 958 - 25 6 (Band)

Don't forget:-
Feb27 Osnabruck - Blueslawine - +49 541 57863 | +49 5402 984894 (Band)

196 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-12-07 08:06:53)

Well, December's here again and Aynsley & the band are hitting the road on the build-up to Christmas. My particular festive spirit kicked on Saturday up at The Cluny where we were treated not only to a great opening set by The Mentulls, but Aynsley & the band fired up and raring to go...

Big Sleep & Home started things off, and if there was a storm raging outside, it met its match with the typhoon  inside the walls of The Cluny. Broke & Hyde bounced along nicely; things got really Bluesy with the shuffle that is Sugar and a chance to introduce a new set of lappers behind the keys , Andy (NOT Alan!) Price, and a smooth job he did... Steve Amadeo's solo spot in What's It All About was a joy, as ever and Boneto kept it all rock steady.

The second treat of the night was when Aynsley announced that in the New Year he was off into the studio and hopefully a new album for late summer/early spring, and to whet our appetites, launched into two brand new songs, very catchy and classic Lister. Then, another Blues treat in a rambling Tore Down before signing off with Early Morning Dew, Possession and the perennial encore Purple Rain.

Was the weather still wild outside? Don't know, after that lot I'd doubt I'd have noticed even if there'd been a foot of snow when I left.

197 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-02-01 10:43:29)

Top Secret Scarborough Blues Festival

Aynsley is not only headlining the 2016 Festival, he's staying for the entire weekend!!! He'll be opening the Festival on the Friday evening with a solo set, and closing the Festival on the Sunday evening accompanied by his full band. He'll also be joining in the Jam Sessions and sitting in with other artists throughout the weekend, as and when appropriate. When he's not playing, Aynsley will be wandering around catching up with bands and fans - if you see him, be sure to say hello!

The Top Secret Festival takes place at the Spa Ocean Room from Friday 11th to Sunday 13th March 2016 - Early bird tickets start at only £88!

Also includes:- Marcus Malone; Connie Lush; Kyla Brox; Rebecca Downes; Wille & the Bandits; Matt Woosey;
Guy Tortora & Ben Tyzak; Revolutionaires Big Band; Sam Kelly's Station House; Joel Fisk & Jon Amor; Tim Aves' Wolfpack;
Till Bennewitz; Karl Moon & Jen Low; Marcus Bonfanti; Adams & Greaves; TC & the Moneymakers; Tom Attah; Red Butler; Benjamin Bassford; Leeds City Stompers; Chris James & Martin Fletcher.....

For those "Summertime Blues", Aynsley has announced a Guitar Workshop week-end for the 16th-18th September; usual place, same price (details on website) and as ever, open to all abilities and chance to jam with the band.