Re: Bona-Trivia

Bill S wrote:

Pretty sure that was Piere's in Ft. Wayne Indiana.

I'm going to act as judge as well as moderator and say the answer is correct. Go Bill your turn.

This will be a slam dunk for people that were there but I'm going to ask it anyway, because I don't think it's common knowledge for most AND I think it's interesting:

As far as I know, there has only been one time where Joe has played the same song twice at a single show. Name the song and the venue.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Was that when the show was being recorded and the first version of the song wasn't very good in the opinion of Caveman?

Lester

Bill S wrote:

This will be a slam dunk for people that were there but I'm going to ask it anyway, because I don't think it's common knowledge for most AND I think it's interesting:

As far as I know, there has only been one time where Joe has played the same song twice at a single show. Name the song and the venue.

Story Of A Quarryman
The Borderline

I would like to know why he played it twice, maybe Joe could chime in and give us the inside scoop? Anybody know?

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

ahsmith33 wrote:

I would like to know why he played it twice, maybe Joe could chime in and give us the inside scoop? Anybody know?

Caveman didn't like the take. Something messed up in the recording so we got a rerun. It was great both times!

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

97 (edited by Rocket 2015-07-24 11:21:08)

Bill S wrote:

Not sure if my mind is made up, or my mind is making it up, but I believe Joe played "Miss You, Hate You" twice in one show at The Armory, Syracuse, New York, December 2000. 

=o|-[ might recall or might not, but I am pretty sure he played the entire  "A New Day Yesterday" CD exactly as it was on the CD with 2 versions, one short and sweet, one longer, extended jamming one.  IF this is true, he may well have played it twice at other shows in that early era...

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Bill S wrote:

Second night Radio City he played I gave up Everything For You I believe. Joe had missed the intro the first time and it was essentially an encore. Not sure many people even noticed.

I was thinking of Quarryman at The Borderline, but this is why I qualified it as "to the best of my knowledge". I honestly had never heard either of these other stories before. I was afraid some other instance might come up!
Looks like Lee is next up!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Rocket wrote:

Not sure if my mind is made up, or my mind is making it up, but I believe Joe played "Miss You, Hate You" twice in one show at The Armory, Syracuse, New York, December 2000.        =o|-[ might recall or might not, but I am pretty sure he played the entire  "A New Day Yesterday" CD exactly as it was on the CD with 2 versions, one short and sweet, one longer, extended jamming one.  IF this is true, he may well have played it twice at other shows in that early era...

Rocket

Oh man Rocket... Could have happened, but I don't recall.  However, I do remember at one of those early Syracuse shows where someone requested "Miss You, Hate You" and Joe did play it.  I recall thinking at the time that it didn't look like it was a song in their usual playlist, but Joe played it anyways... but I could definitely be wrong there as well. 

The only Joe show I went to where he "almost" replayed something was at a private rehearsal concert for Bloodline, at Ultramedia Studios in Syracuse, NY on 01/16/94, that I won 2 passes for (see my avatar) from the local radio station; so I went with my brother.  They jammed for the tiny group of us from 2 feet away.  They had just started the wicked guitar solo section of "Since You're Gone" (starting at 4:54 on the CD) & Joe's string broke.  After fixing things he asked us if they should start again at the beginning or pick it up where the string broke.  I yelled out to pick it up where they ended, & so they did.  Great jam from 2 feet away!  Awesome show, then was given some signed swag.  Pretty cool thing to win!!!

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

101 (edited by Rocket 2015-07-25 17:57:25)

=o|-[ wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Not sure if my mind is made up, or my mind is making it up, but I believe Joe played "Miss You, Hate You" twice in one show at The Armory, Syracuse, New York, December 2000.        =o|-[ might recall or might not, but I am pretty sure he played the entire  "A New Day Yesterday" CD exactly as it was on the CD with 2 versions, one short and sweet, one longer, extended jamming one.  IF this is true, he may well have played it twice at other shows in that early era...

Rocket

Oh man Rocket... Could have happened, but I don't recall.  However, I do remember at one of those early Syracuse shows where someone requested "Miss You, Hate You" and Joe did play it.  I recall thinking at the time that it didn't look like it was a song in their usual playlist, but Joe played it anyways... but I could definitely be wrong there as well. 

The only Joe show I went to where he "almost" replayed something was at a private rehearsal concert for Bloodline, at Ultramedia Studios in Syracuse, NY on 01/16/94, that I won 2 passes for (see my avatar) from the local radio station; so I went with my brother.  They jammed for the tiny group of us from 2 feet away.  They had just started the wicked guitar solo section of "Since You're Gone" (starting at 4:54 on the CD) & Joe's string broke.  After fixing things he asked us if they should start again at the beginning or pick it up where the string broke.  I yelled out to pick it up where they ended, & so they did.  Great jam from 2 feet away!  Awesome show, then was given some signed swag.  Pretty cool thing to win!!!

It came to me finally, that Joe DEFinitely played "Miss You, Hate You" twice at that Syracuse show.  I recalled that he played the entire CD IN ORDER, and the reprise was the longer version, as an encore and show closer. smile

Man, hard to believe that was 14.3x years ago.......I remember having a hard time believing someone playing a bar KNEW a Rory Gallagher song, let alone open their show with a rip-roaring version!  Afterwards I also remember feeling stunned trying to believe I had just witnessed history in the making.  Almost got lost going back to the North Country! lol

Hit us Lee!

Rock ON Trivial Nostalgia & Keep THE Memorable Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:
=o|-[ wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Rocket

It came to me finally, that Joe DEFinitely played "Miss You, Hate You" twice at that Syracuse show.  I recalled that he played the entire CD IN ORDER, and the reprise was the longer version, as an encore and show closer. smile

Man, hard to believe that was 14.3x years ago.......I remember having a hard time believing someone playing a bar KNEW a Rory Gallagher song, let alone open their show with a rip-roaring version!  Afterwards I also remember feeling stunned trying to believe I had just witnessed history in the making.  Almost got lost going back to the North Country! lol

Hit us Lee!

Rock ON Trivial Nostalgia & Keep THE Memorable Faith,
Rocket

Thanks for the trip down your memory lane. We all have similar stories of that first experience seeing Joe. Just so few back that far in his career. I love reliving the moment with you.

Bill S wrote:

I was thinking of Quarryman at The Borderline, but this is why I qualified it as "to the best of my knowledge". I honestly had never heard either of these other stories before. I was afraid some other instance might come up!
Looks like Lee is next up!

I've heard Joe talk about this on a couple occasions.

When Joe was all of 12 years old and started making money playing gigs his initial goals were pretty simple. He wanted to make enough money to buy a couple things. One was a set of pickups that his friend and mentor Danny Gatton recommended. The other was not gear or music related at all, but would have been highly coveted by many 12 year old boys at the time. What was that non-gear item Joe really wanted?

And if someone knows the brand of pickups Joe wanted you can answer that or save it for another question - I'll refrain from answering if you do.

It was a video game system if I am remembering correctly......

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

It was a video game system if I am remembering correctly......

I'll accept that. A Super Nintendo, to be exact.

Your turn Patty!

By the time Joe was 9 years old, he was sitting in with what band and the bonus part of this question is who was one of the other members?
                          pattyluvsjoe cool

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Was my question written in another language lol , no wild guesses, just plain no interest, or should I just reveal answer(s) ??????

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

No, don't give the answer - at least not yet. I have a guess as to who one of the other band members was - Len Bonamassa?