73 (edited by =o|-[ 2015-07-16 17:52:56)

Re: Bona-Trivia

jim m wrote:
=o|-[ wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Ah, but what of the question if Smokin' Joe's Vault never performed publicly?  IS that still a band? hmm  Did you ever see or hear of them performing as a group, John? wink  Just playing along on a long wait... smile

GREAT question Rocket!  unfortunately I can't answer that.  I did find another source to show Smokin' Joe's Vault but it is only for that same show (that never was). http://blog.syracuse.com/listenup/2009/ … joe_b.html

I always wondered if this was the original name for the 1st incarnation of the Joe Bonamassa Band (with Tony Cintron on drums & Creamo Liss on bass).  All I know is that was the only time I heard about Joe performing between the last Bloodline show I saw & my 1st JBB show.  I was always looking for any info on him playing anywhere near CNY & never saw anything else except that one Vault show, but I have no idea about if he played anywhere outside of CNY with the Vault.

from The Post-Standard in 1996, after Bloodline had disbanded and Smokin' Joe's Vault had begun.

The teen guitar wizard's back.

Smokin' Joe Bonamassa isn't with Bloodline anymore. And his new project, Smokin' Joe's Vault, brings an entirely different sound from the guy who loved the blues practically from the crib. Bonamassa unleashes his psychedelic jazz side at 10 p.m. Saturday at Beginning's in East Syracuse. Syracuse hot blues outfit Dirty Pool opens. Cover charge is $4. "This is just another side of me musically, " said Bonamassa, who spent three years with famous offspring of Berry Oakley, Robbie Kreiger and Miles Davis in Bloodline. "I really loved being able to perform my songs and sing them myself. I have always played around with musical variations when I was alone and on my own, but I never felt comfortable playing this music in public. "As I spent more and more time messing around with these songs, only then did I realize the potential of the music and gained belief in myself to bring them to life, " the New York Mills native said.

I have a publicity photo from this band signed by Joe. It was a band whether they played or not I have no idea.

I know it's not my turn for a question, but... Who was in the band Smokin' Joe's Vault?  Names please

I guess I should add that I do NOT know the answer but I really want to know it.

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

Joe has a track titled "India" on the Sloe Gin album.

My question is...

Where and when did Joe play his first (and only)concert in India?

I seem to remember Joe and the band flew to the venue, played and flew straight back to UK to start a tour which I thought was quite impressive!

Lester..

Apologies to Jane and Rocket who appear to have taken exception to my previous post.
The comment " little consequence" actually refers to the dictionary meaning of Trivia.
I am not a wordsmith like Rocket, nor do I have a great knowledge of Joe, other than listening to his music and attending concerts.
I have no intention of trivialising the contributions made by other members of the forum who have taken the time and made the effort to enlighten others.
My mistake for taking the topic subject literally.
Lester..

Lester wrote:

My question is...

I seem to remember Joe and the band flew to the venue, played and flew straight back to UK to start a tour which I thought was quite impressive!

Lester..

A festival in Mumbai at the MMRDA Grounds, Bandra on 9th February 2008 which happened to be my birthday.

jim m wrote:
Lester wrote:

My question is...

Lester..

A festival in Mumbai at the MMRDA Grounds, Bandra on 9th February 2008 which happened to be my birthday.

Well done Jim,
Would someone else like to name the festival for a bonus point?

Lester....

Jane H. wrote:

I don't know if these folks were Smokin Joe's Vault or not but with Rocket's hints i remembered this youtube with Joe, Lenny Milano on drums and Greg "Creamo" Liss on bass. Miles of Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ23SFHDu4E
edit: I have gotten confirmation (I call it official) this was Smokin Joe's Vault

Thanks Jane!  I have always wondered what group I missed seeing that night.  I just assumed it was a different name for the original Joe Bonamassa Band (Joe & Co.).  I have seen that video many times (thanks to whoever posted it to YouTube), but never realized that was the "Vault".  Great work confirming it.

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

Bonus point to you Jane.
Johnny Walker being the sponsor rather than an actual person I believe.
I remember seeing Joe a few days later in Crawley which was my first Bonamassa experience.
This was also the last tour when Joe played the smaller venues in the UK.
Thanks also for your other comments.

Lester..

Well in honor of Carmine, Joe's longest active sideman and sideman extraordinaire I will make this question relevant to Joe, Carmine and my own experience with them both.

Carmine played on an album that included another young soon to be legend of the blues Stevie Ray Vaughan. This was my first known exposure to Carmine Rojas. What artist and what album did the two collaborate on. Carmine and SRV to clarify the question.

81 (edited by Lester 2015-07-17 22:55:14)

jim m wrote:

Well in honor of Carmine, Joe's longest active sideman and sideman extraordinaire I will make this question relevant to Joe, Carmine and my own experience with them both.

Carmine played on an album that included another young soon to be legend of the blues Stevie Ray Vaughan. This was my first known exposure to Carmine Rojas. What artist and what album did the two collaborate on. Carmine and SRV to clarify the question.

I know Carmine worked with David Bowie and I think SRV did guitar solo on "let's Dance"' single.
So that will be my guess, Bowie and the let's Dance LP.
( if you ever get to see Carmine on video during his Bowie days, he looked very different back then).

Lester..

Lester wrote:
jim m wrote:

I know Carmine worked with David Bowie and I think SRV did guitar solo on "let's Dance"' single.
( if you ever get to see Carmine on video during his Bowie days, he looked very different back then).

Lester..

We have a correct answer. Back to you. I liked to read liner notes and that was the only Bowie album I ever owned and that is when I first heard of Carmine. I believe the only reason I even bought the album was Stevie was on it. Turned out to be a great album. I was pretty stoked to get to meet Carmine in LA prior to him joining the band after he appeared on You and Me. Then when the band came to town in 2007 I had Carmine sign a bass with Roscoe Beck and Stanley Clarke's signatures already on it he commented that he was in good company by being included on that bass when I asked him if he minded a couple of signatures were already on it. He smiled and signed it Let's Dance.

OK, one more.
Joe has guested on various albums by other artists.

Name the artist and album on which Joe plays - " beggar for the blues".

This artist also appeared at one of Joe's live performances - bonus question.

Lester....

Lester wrote:

OK, one more.
Joe has guested on various albums by other artists.

Name the artist and album on which Joe plays - " beggar for the blues".

This artist also appeared at one of Joe's live performances - bonus question.

Lester....

Paul Jones, "Suddenly I Like It."

That's the man Champster.
I knew this because a friend of mine went to one of The Manfreds recent concerts, bought the CD and passed on the info as she knew I was a Bonamassa fan.
Mr Jones was also sighted at one of Joe's Hammersmith concerts earlier this year in London.

Your turn for a question?

Lester...

Wow! What a great topic. I saw this early on but have been a bit preoccupied since then. I just read through and knew a few of the trivia questions, but there were some really obscure ones (trivial trivia?)...so I learned something too!
I did have my hand raised for Michael's "shortest song" question (ooh, ooh, i know I know!!), since it hadn't been answered.

Great questions!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Jane H. wrote:

so since you started this thing, how long do we have to wait for Champster to ask the next question???
smile

That's a good question.  How about 3 days?  Not sure how to choose who gets to ask the next question... maybe just go back to the person who asked the previous one?

88 (edited by ahsmith33 2015-07-23 07:56:48)

darn, I would have had this one with no lookup, but 2 minutes and 11 seconds was just too fast. Love the avatar Jane, that's a huge striped hybrid. I think that 3 days is too long to wait for a new question, but ZGTR can decide.....congrats on the Bonametal man, roughly 1,925 days start to finish. Love the topic and have been kibitzing the thing all along.

OK, it was 2 hours and 11 minutes, must check back more often.

Lester wrote:
jim m wrote:

Lester..

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Jane H. wrote:

so since you started this thing, how long do we have to wait for Champster to ask the next question???

OK, I'll take the challenge...

What was the name of the city AND the club where Joe recorded his 2001 ANDY DVD?

The city was easy for me, but not the club.

Pretty sure that was Piere's in Ft. Wayne Indiana.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"