Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Not Quo, again. Again, again, again, again...

NickSlikk2112 wrote:

Not Quo, again. Again, again, again, again...

Yeah, Quo again..... Sorry if it brings you down, down, deeper an' down....

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Friday 27th Feb:-

Not a startling line-up this evening, aside from 1 documentary; setting my recorder for this one.

21:00 - 22:35 - Joy Division.
On June 4 1976, four young men from ruined, post-industrial Manchester went to see a Sex Pistols show at the Manchester Lesser Free Trade Hall. Inspired by the gig that is now credited with igniting the Manchester music scene, they formed what was to become one of the world's most influential bands, Joy Division.

Over thirty years later, despite a tragedy that was to cut them off in their prime, they are enjoying a larger audience and more influence than ever before, with a profound legacy that resonates fiercely in today's heavily manufactured pop culture.

Featuring the unprecedented participation of all the surviving band members, this film examines the band's story through never-before-seen live performance footage, personal photos, period films and newly discovered audiotapes.

A fresh visual account of a unique time and place, this is the untold story of how four men transcended economic and cultural barriers to produce an enduring musical legacy, at a time of great social and political change.

Friday March 13th:

As Phil Lynott famously asked; "Is there anybody out there with any Irish in them...?" Because BBC4 are going to traet you to a load more tonight:-

21:00 The Irish Rock Story: A Tale of Two Cities
The story of Irish rock through the different musical traditions of Belfast and Dublin.

22:00 Irish Rock at the BBC
Some of the finest Irish rock offerings from the early 70s to the present day.

23:00 The Strypes
A real life coming-of-age film about the Strypes, the young Irish band from Co Cavan.

00:00 The Irish Rock Story: A Tale of Two Cities
The story of Irish rock through the different musical traditions of Belfast and Dublin. (R)

01:00 Irish Rock at the BBC
Some of the finest Irish rock offerings from the early 70s to the present day. (R)

02:00 The Strypes
A real life coming-of-age film about the Strypes, the young Irish band from Co Cavan. (R)

Sounds worthy of a look. thanks. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Sounds great!
Unfortunately I can´t get BBC sad  !
Love the irish touch...
Mama´s Boys, Thin Lizzy, The Dubliners, ....and of course Gary Moore!
Wild Frontier is a masterpiece!
Black Star Riders continues  ...

The Wolf wrote:

Sounds great!
Love the irish touch...

Can you access BBC iPlay through the website?

March 20th - bit of a mixed bag.

21:00 Top of the Pops: The Story of 1980
1980 saw a new generation of British pop, while TOTP underwent many changes. (R)

22:00 Dexys: Nowhere Is Home
Film documenting Dexys' residency at the Duke of York's Theatre in London in 2014.

23:30  Kings of Soul
With Curtis Mayfield, Billy Preston, Bill Withers, Alexander O'Neal and Barry White.

00:30 The Godmother of Rock & Roll: Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Documentary about gospel singer Sister Rosetta Tharpe, who influenced the early rockers. (R)

01:30 Written by Mrs Bach
Were JS Bach's Cello Suites actually composed by his second wife, Anna Magdalena? (R)

02:30 Dexys: Nowhere Is Home
Film documenting Dexys' residency at the Duke of York's Theatre in London in 2014. (R)

BansheeUK wrote:
The Wolf wrote:

Sounds great!
Love the irish touch...

Don´t know how..
What´s iPlay???

The Wolf wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:
The Wolf wrote:

Sounds great!
Love the irish touch...

Don´t know how..
What´s iPlay???

Sorry - should be BBC iPlayer...

Don't know if it will be available to you in Austria, but if you go to  http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour late on Friday night, often some of the shows broadcast on TV are available to stream or watch via Internet for a week or so afterwards.

After March 20th's mixed bag, built around Dexy's Midnight Runners (see Post 242). March 27th has something to please the Soul Brothers & Sisters amongst us:-

21:00 Northern Soul: Living for the Weekend
Film about one of the most exciting underground British club movements of the 1970s. (R)

22:00 ... Sings Motown
With Roberta Flack, Dusty Springfield, the Flying Lizards, Kim Wilde and Robert Palmer.

23:00 Queens of Soul
With Aretha Franklin, Roberta Flack, Gladys Knight, Randy Crawford, Beyonce and many more.

00:00 Black Music Legends of the 1980s Lionel Richie: Dancing on the Ceiling
3/4 How singer-songwriter Lionel Richie achieved a dream of becoming 'as big as the Beatles'. (R)

01:00 Northern Soul: Living for the Weekend
Film about one of the most exciting underground British club movements of the 1970s. (R)

02:00 ... Sings Motown
With Roberta Flack, Dusty Springfield, the Flying Lizards, Kim Wilde and Robert Palmer. (R)

03:00 Queens of Soul
With Aretha Franklin, Roberta Flack, Gladys Knight, Randy Crawford, Beyonce and many more. (R)

Even a little bit of Dusty sneaking in there.....

One of those odd documentary nights - Friday 17th April.

21:00 How to Make a Number One Record
Going in search of the secrets of what it takes to get a number one hit single.

22:00 One-Hit Wonders at the BBC
With Peter Sarstedt, Trio, Phyllis Nelson, the New Radicals and other one-hit wonders.

23:00 Sting: When the Last Ship Sails
Sting and his band perform songs from his album The Last Ship. (R)

00:20 How to Make a Number One Record
Going in search of the secrets of what it takes to get a number one hit single. (R)

01:20 BBC Young Dancer 2015 Contemporary Final
Five dancers compete for the contemporary category title and a place in the grand final. (R)

02:20 One-Hit Wonders at the BBC
With Peter Sarstedt, Trio, Phyllis Nelson, the New Radicals and other one-hit wonders. (R)

Friday 1st May:- An evening of "Rod the Mod".....

21:00 imagine... Summer 2013, Rod Stewart: Can't Stop Me Now
Imagine examines Rod Stewart's entertaining career across five musical decades. (R)

22:25 Rod Stewart at the BBC
Including Stay with Me, Sailing, You're in My Heart and Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? (R)

23:25 Top of the Pops: The Story of 1978
How Top of the Pops turned the credibility corner and showed punk and new wave bands. (R)

00:15 imagine... Summer 2013, Rod Stewart: Can't Stop Me Now
Imagine examines Rod Stewart's entertaining career across five musical decades. (R)

01:40 Rod Stewart at the BBC
Including Stay with Me, Sailing, You're in My Heart and Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? (R)

Thanks for the update Mike, however, you seem to have missed a treat for this coming Friday, 24th April.

21.00 Rock legend and tour bus aficionado Rick Wakeman takes us on a time-travelling trip through the decades in this first-hand account of rockers on the road from the late 1950s to the 80s and beyond.

22.00 Totally British: 70s Rock 'n' Roll - Part 1 1970-1974 Trawled from the depths of the BBC Archive and classic BBC shows of the day, a collection of performance gems from a totally rock 'n' roll early 1970s. Enjoy some Free, Quo, Humble Pie, Mott The Hoople, Faces, Stone the Crows (a personal fave), SAHB, Lizzy to name but a few. Should definitely be one to set the recorder for.

23.00 Totally British: 70s Rock 'n' Roll - Part 2 1975-1979 More of the same with the Feelgoods, Ducks DeLuxe, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Elvis Costello, Meal Ticket, Steve Gibbons Band, Dave Edmunds and chum Nick Lowe, a pre-Mike & the Mechanics' Paul Carrack in his first band Ace, a post-Faces Ronnie Lane, the Motors, the first TV performance from Dire Straits, Graham Parker and the Rumour and many more.

00.00 70s Gold on The Old Grey Whistle Test with Elton John, Lindisfarne, David Bowie, Curtis Mayfield, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Steppenwolf, Vinegar Joe, Brinsley Schwarz, New York Dolls, Argent, Bob Marley & the Wailers, Captain Beefheart, Johnny Winter, Dr Feelgood, Gil Scott Heron, Patti Smith, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Cher & Greg Allman, Talking Heads, the Jam, Blondie, Iggy Pop and the Specials.

A pretty eclectic bunch and I'm particularly looking forward to seeing a young Tom Petty and a band I saw in the back room of a local pub back in my youth, Vinegar Joe. A great little band with the late Robert Palmer and Elkie Brooks on joint lead vocals. What a fantastic rock voice Elkie had before she went back to a more jazzy repertoire and MOR material. The rock world lost a superb band when they split but I guess the singers were just too big for the rest of the group.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Hey Phil,
Sorry I missed that - looks a bit of a treat....

250 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-04-28 05:53:19)

Really enjoyed the Tales From the Tour Bus doc last Friday - thanks Phil for giving it a nudge. Don't forget, Friday [1st May] for Roderick David Stewart night.

Friday 8th May - one for the air-guitarists (with a little ambient for when all the wind-milling gets too much):-

21:00 The Joy of the Guitar Riff
Film tracing the ebb and flow of the guitar riff - the DNA of rock 'n' roll. (R)

22:00 Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC
With Jimi Hendrix, the Kinks, Cream, AC/DC, the Smiths, Radiohead, the Yardbirds and more. (R)

23:00 Arena Brian Eno - Another Green World
A profile of Brian Eno, former Roxy Music keyboardist and a pioneer in ambient music. (R)

00:00 The Joy of the Guitar Riff
Film tracing the ebb and flow of the guitar riff - the DNA of rock 'n' roll. (R)

01:00 Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC
With Jimi Hendrix, the Kinks, Cream, AC/DC, the Smiths, Radiohead, the Yardbirds and more. (R)

02:00 Arena Brian Eno - Another Green World
A profile of Brian Eno, former Roxy Music keyboardist and a pioneer in ambient music. (R)

Fridays on BBC4 have been in the doldrums for a while, but maybe things are starting to look up a little:-

Friday 12th June:-

21:00 Otis Redding: Soul Ambassador
First ever TV documentary about the legendary soul singer Otis Redding. (R)

22:00 Classic Soul at the BBC
With Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Isaac Hayes, Solomon Burke and Percy Sledge. (R)

23:00 Pop Life I'm in a Girl Group!
2/3 Bananarama, the Spice Girls, Girls Aloud and others describe life inside a girl group. (R)

00:00 Blondie's New York... and the Making of Parallel Lines
The story of Blondie's album Parallel Lines, which captured the spirit of 70s New York. (R)

00:50 Otis Redding: Soul Ambassador
First ever TV documentary about the legendary soul singer Otis Redding. (R)

01:50 Classic Soul at the BBC
With Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Isaac Hayes, Solomon Burke and Percy Sledge. (R)

02:50 Pop Life I'm in a Girl Group!
2/3 Bananarama, the Spice Girls, Girls Aloud and others describe life inside a girl group. (R)

19th June:-  Commence au festival.....

21:00 Glastonbury Golden Greats
A look back at performances by iconic artists that have played the Glastonbury Festival.

22:00 Festivals Britannia
Documentary telling the story of the evolution of the British music festival. (R) 

23:30 Nile Rodgers: The Hitmaker Remastered
Profile documentary of Chic co-founder, songwriter, producer and guitarist Nile Rodgers. (R)

00:30 Disco at the BBC
Featuring Chic, Labelle, Rose Royce, the Village People and many more. (R) 

01:30 Glastonbury Golden Greats
A look back at performances by iconic artists that have played the Glastonbury Festival. (R)

02:30 Festivals Britannia
Documentary telling the story of the evolution of the British music festival. (R)