Re: Laurence Jones

Okay, the headliner of Friday’s bill at Sedgefield; the promised return of Laurence Jones after a couple of years - this time as headliner.

Can’t say much more than previous review; other than once again, all change in the back-line: good to see Toby back behind the kit, but no Luke on bass, though the guy this time round really took hold and gave it some (aarghh! sorry I missed his name). Laurence took to the stage and from the start, he owned it, as is only right for the Young Blues Artist of the Year. Laurence has the uncanny knack of modulating his voice to match his guitar sound; from smooth to raw, so that each number is a treat; from Foolin’ Me to Summer Breeze or his funked-up take on The Thrill Is Gone (happy birthday, BB King!) and a storming All Along The Watchtower. to close the first set.

Second set and Laurence started as he finished, but mid-way, returning the favour Buddy Whittington did him first time round, Laurence called Alex McKown back up on stage to romp through three old standards and the 2 lads really made sparks fly. From then on, Laurence and the band, really turned on the taps until a furious Bullfrog Blues closed the proceedings.

Stunning show; deserved of a sell-out night.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Gateshead Sage - 26th October:

Not often these days that you see Laurence Jones as a support, and this was his first time playing Gateshead Sage. Needless to say, in true form, he came out swinging, as Laurence usually does and he not only held the 400 or so people in the room, judging by the queues at his merchandise stand, won over a lot of them. I’ve seen Laurence more times now headlining rather than opening, but he’s certainly got the knack of making his presence felt and not being over-awed by the occasion. Even though he dropped his tour-de-force, Thunder In The Sky from the set, presumably for length reasons, he certainly packed a lot of punch into his allotted time.

Stockton ARC - March 20th 2015

Well, another support slot for Laurence on Friday night (March 20th), but it was 40 minutes of sheer dynamite. Don’t know where he’d been hiding it, but Laurence has just produced a new album (him and Roger Innes) and some searing new numbers were doted into the set, including a fantastic Leadbelly cover. That’s not to say that being a RUF boy, he’s turned his back on his first album with a face-melting run though of Thunder In The Sky and a heart melting Whisper In the Wind from Temptation.

Really whetting the apatite for his headline tour later in the year.

I'm listening now to his new cd and it sounds great.

23 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-06-17 09:41:45)

Newcastle Cluny - 13th June

Another great night at The Cluny on Saturday when Laurence Jones made his venue debut and nearly set fire to the stage with a blazing headline performance. From the opener, What’s It Gonna Be to the aptly titled encore closer of Stop Moving The House, Laurence, Roger and Miri delivered an almighty show to an appreciative Geordie audience; and an impressive 3-figure turn out for the first-timer.

Way too many songs to highlight, Laurence’s great Leadbelly Good Morning Blues take to Thrill is Gone tribute to BB King and a nod to the 20th anniversary loss of Rory Gallagher with a raucous Bullfrog Blues  as well an Laurence’s own Thunder In The Skies, Fall from The Sky and others standing well along side; and that’s not forgetting All Along The Watchtower with some almighty soloing.

No doubt about it, the lad’s come of age, so set another plate at the top table…. Got to do a proper European tour soon….

Little taster:-   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqsEkDRI8dE

https://youtu.be/kNwD4Yn1QM8

Young and even younger

Clive A wrote:

https://youtu.be/kNwD4Yn1QM8

Young and even younger

Blimey! They must be coming out the womb playing guitars. Hope young Toby Lee keeps at it.
Nice one too Laurence, "payin' it back".

Laurence was outstanding at the Hookrock Festival in Belgium on 4 july 2015.

How about this?

"I would like to share some very exciting news with you all... I have been asked to play 2 nights at the world famous "Carnegie Hall" in New York on 7th & 8th Decemebr 2015 for the Lead Belly Fest. Following the success from the Royal Albert Hall, the festival is going worldwide. I am looking forward to jamming with Mr Walter Trout again in New York, and also on the bill will be my good friend Dana Fuchs Other artists to be announced soon".

Believe congrats are in order to Laurence on being scooping  Best Guitarist in this year's European Blues Awards....

Apart from the odd track on the BluesPower show on Planet Rock, I hadn't heard (or seen) anything from this young man. I was therefore interested to see what the fuss was about when I saw him at the Bluesfest in London last weekend and I now wish I'd caught him sooner. Laurence is a huge talent and had me captivated. He deserves to go far.

I'll try to upload my video of some of his songs during this week (I'm working on The Boom Band at the moment). Laurence's rendition of All Along the Watchtower is hugely enjoyable. smile

Phil
PS - note to self; I must pay more attention to new young artists mentioned on the forum. hmm

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

30 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-11-10 08:43:14)

A "baby-faced" killer on stage, and the most affable young man off.

Not only the European Blues guitar award 2015, but his 2nd British Blues Young Artist and to crown an incredible year, appearances next month at the Leadbelly fest at New York's Carnegie Hall. Don't think Laurence is going to forget 2015.

Wooders wrote:

Apart from the odd track on the BluesPower show on Planet Rock, I hadn't heard (or seen) anything from this young man. I was therefore interested to see what the fuss was about when I saw him at the Bluesfest in London last weekend and I now wish I'd caught him sooner. Laurence is a huge talent and had me captivated. He deserves to go far.

I'll try to upload my video of some of his songs during this week (I'm working on The Boom Band at the moment). Laurence's rendition of All Along the Watchtower is hugely enjoyable. smile

Phil
PS - note to self; I must pay more attention to new young artists mentioned on the forum. hmm

Yes you should Phil - come up to Aberdeen and see him in April cos you aint in Portugal then smile

32 (edited by Wooders 2015-11-15 04:13:54)

Point taken, Kenny, although I doubt I can come up to Aberdeen to join you. Yes, I know you're always coming down to London but it's all up hill to Scotland. lol

Anyway, as promised here are some videos of Laurence at Bluesfest. These are in the setlist order and I'll add more when I can. If you have time, the two longest tracks, Have You Ever Loved a Woman and All along the Watchtower, are definitely worth watching. Both are hugely enjoyable. The sound is pretty good and there's plenty of atmosphere, perhaps too much at times!

There's no doubting Laurence is a natural guitar player and has great stage presence and showmanship too.

Don't Need No Reason

I Got a Feeling

All Along The Watchtower

Have You Ever Loved a Woman

Bullfrog Blues

Enjoy.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

33 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-04-22 05:53:23)

Well, Laurence returned to The Cluny last night, along with Roger Innes and that incredible 6-string bass, and new drummer Phil Wilson, and once again they set the stage alight. Some new numbers aired through the 100 minutes set, a couple featuring Laurence on his latest acquisition, a Danelectro Baritone guitar, used to great effect in a "duel" with Roger's Bass. Otherwise, it was business as usual, blistering guitar work, solid vocals and tight band.
Always liked Laurence’s covers, even going back to Stuck In The Middle With You, though this time round, no Thrill Is Gone or All Along The Watchtower; instead, there was a funky work-out of Stevie Wonder’s Higher Power, which I’m afraid was a wrong fit; fortunately, the Leadbelly Good Morning Blues was a belter.

Tour:-

Apr 21 Thu Derby    Flower Pot (DE1 3DZ)
Apr 23 Sat Worthing    Worthing Pier (BN11 3PX)
Apr 26 Tue Wimborne   Tivoli Theatre (BH21 1LT)
Apr 27 Wed Laurence Jones, Black Circles  Oxford     The Bullingdon (OX4 1UE)
Apr 28 Thu Aldershot    West End Centre (GU11 3JD)
Apr 30 Sat Laurence Jones, Black Circles Corby     The Raven Hall (NN17 1AG)

May 01 Sun Southampton    The Brook (SO17 3SD)
May 29 Sun Lyme Regis Jazz And Blues Weekend Lyme Regis    Marine Theatre (DT7 3QB)

Jun 10-11Fri/ Sat    Wallingford Blues & Beer Festival Wallingford    Regal Centre (OX10 0AL)
Jun 18 Sat Durham Blues, Rhythm & Rock Festival 2016  Durham    Gala Theatre & Cinema (DH1 1WA)
Jun 19 Sun Cleethorpes Blues, Rhythm & Rock Festival 2016 Cleethorpes    Pleasure Island (DN35 0PL)

Jul 30 Sat Harpenden Blues Festival  Harpenden    Harpenden Public Halls (AL5 1TE)

Nov 19 Sat Elland    The Meeting Room (HX5 9DU)

Dec 11 Sun  Poole    Mr Kyps (BH14 0JY)

Anyone in the US interested in catching Mr Jones, there are 2 festival dates to watch for (in the east):-

19th August - Chenango Blues Festival -  Norwich, NY
20th August - Blues N Brews Festival - Nashoba Valley, MA

Rest of itinerary (so far...)  http://www.laurencejonesmusic.com/Tour.html

P.S. - Expect Laurence's new, Mike Vernon produced album in August.....

34 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-05-02 04:18:05)

April 29th 2017 - The Cluny: Newcastle

Well then, 3rd visit to The Cluny for Laurence and this time he brought some new mates with him. Certainly a different dynamic in the rhythm section with former sparring partner Roger Innes moving on to new projects; that oh-so-familiar 6 string bass being replaced by a more conventional 4 stringer, but in the more than capable hands of Greg Smith, combining well with now established drummer Phil Wilson. However, to not only cover Roger’s more melodic bass and to beef up the overall sound, Laurence’s band now includes keyboards and in the best set of lappers in the business, Bennett Holland.

Obviously, its only on the more recent material where Mike Vernon’s production opened the way for keyboards (Bob Fridzma) that Bennett is adding more than fluid washes as with the older material such as Thunder In The Sky, but a sneak preview of a couple of songs that the band have been working on for release later this year shows a very cohesive unit has formed.

On stage though is where the action was, and Laurence was, as usual, well in the zone; out to party and burn a few fret boards. This year’s cover it seems is a rockin’ Cocaine as well as showing the Blues credentials in tying Every Day I Get The Blues with Sweet Home Chicago.

So damn good - I’ll go see them again in August. Meantime, Laurence has support slots with Vintage Trouble in the UK and Kenny Wayne Shepherd through Europe in the summer.

35 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-08-22 06:49:43)

Aug 18th - Darlington Forum.

Those lovely people of Darlington, affectionately known as “Quakers”, got a long overdue visit on Friday night from Laurence Jones and the band - affectionately known as “Earthquakers”. It’s hard to believe that Laurence had never played in Darlington before, though he’s certainly paid his dues around the area, Ferryhill; Hartlepool; 2x Sedgefield and 3x Newcastle, so now he’s broken his Darlo duck; and in some style.

Openers for the night were local band Two Blues Band; a four piece who were originally a duo (as the name suggests), but built up to a quartet. Only together for a year or so, they warmed the crowd over nicely with their developing picking Blues sound.

Laurence though, aided by Bennett, Greg & Phil took the Forum stage like the force-of nature he is, belying the fact he’s playing the 3rd gig in as many countries in almost as many days; and just tore the place off the map. The working partnership with Bennett Holland is now really showing through, the funkier edge is still there, but toned down and a more mature rock edge is coming through in the newer material, soon to be recorded. Thunder In The Sky is still a show-stopping centre piece and other older numbers like Fall From the Sky still resonate from his Fenders. Great to see Laurence tipping his hat to the more traditional Blues with Good Morning Blues back in the set as “closer” and Every Day I Get The Blues / Sweet Home Chicago in the encore, with Bennett giving glimpse that he’s almost as adept with the tonsils as he is with the lappers.

As I was taking a break from the “sweatbox”, a guy coming into The Forum asked me “is he worth the £14 entry?” At the end of the show, he was asking “has he any albums for sale and are they as good as the set just played?” How do you not sound biased about LJ, the fresh-faced killer…..?

Few clips taken on the night - only LJ's guitar got closer.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGL3NL22ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buAmgkj1vI8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuYuSD8uRug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PJt1ec5tV8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC14PtKK46o

Ps - Laurence & band are off the Miami shortly to record the next album and I believe they've been picked up by an American label.

36 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-05-14 09:14:41)

Newcastle Cluny - 13th May.

The question is, is Sunday the 13th as unlucky as Friday 13th? Well, in my opinion. yes, if you didn’t get yourselves along to The Cluny on Sunday night; the last night of Laurence’s Spring jaunt to promote The Truth. The whole band was just on fire, Greg & Phil were in their zones, Bennett was up and down off his stool like nobody’s business and Laurence just kept winding things up as he went back through his catalogue, giving each of his 4 guitars of the night a really good shredding. By the time he got to his oldest number, Thunder In the Sky he was just about untouchable, but still found more in the tanks for Along Along The Watchtower which featured blistering sparring with Bennett’s Hammond. Not content with that, Laurence even had the energy to jump off the stage and get down (literally) with members of the audience. Not that it was all fret board fireworks, he still found the emotional depth, especially at the encore to put his heart on his strings for Thinking About Tomorrow..

Another great showing from Laurence and the band, but it seems now that he’s at the point of balancing head playing and heart playing.

Set list:-
What Would You Do?
Don't You Let Me Go
Gone Away
Never Good Enough
Take Me High
Thunder in the Sky
All Along the Watchtower
Keep Me Up At Night
Give Me Your Time
Can't Go On Without You
Take Me
Foolin Me
What's It Gonna Be

Encore:
I Will
Thinking About Tomorrow

PS - since found out that LJ has been added to the Durham Blues Fest line-up….Kris, Stevie, Chantel & now Laurence - Intents….