Topic: Vertex

Hey Guys,
         I'm sorry to be chiming in so late but I must warn all you fellow gear nerds to stay away from Vertex effects and pedalboard services. Mason is not truthful nor is his work good or in most cases his own. He had me on his site without permission as a user and happy customer. I am/was neither happy nor do I use any of his products. My pedalboard sounded awful, took tons of gain away, and added a huge ground hum. It also cost $1400 and that was after I pitched a fit when the $2000 bill came to my tour manager all the while seeing unauthorized You Tube videos of my " new rig" a rig I never tried nor signed off on. Fortunately Dave Friedman at Rack Systems came in and saved the day for $400. All I wanted and asked for was to have some cables cut to size.  I didn't want to waste Dave's time so I gave it to Mason. BIG MISTAKE.... I am very disturbed by his actions and have heard recently that he has been called out on some Wah Wah pedal stuff.  Bad News Bear that cat is unfortunately.

So... In closing...
Just trying to keep my fellow guitar nerds from getting ripped off like I was.

Caveat Emptor
Joe Bonamassa.

Re: Vertex

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Guys,
         I'm sorry to be chiming in so late but I must warn all you fellow gear nerds to stay away from Vertex effects and pedalboard services. Mason is not truthful nor is his work good or in most cases his own. He had me on his site without permission as a user and happy customer. I am/was neither happy nor do I use any of his products. My pedalboard sounded awful, took tons of gain away, and added a huge ground hum. It also cost $1400 and that was after I pitched a fit when the $2000 bill came to my tour manager all the while seeing unauthorized You Tube videos of my " new rig" a rig I never tried nor signed off on. Fortunately Dave Friedman at Rack Systems came in and saved the day for $400. All I wanted and asked for was to have some cables cut to size.  I didn't want to waste Dave's time so I gave it to Mason. BIG MISTAKE.... I am very disturbed by his actions and have heard recently that he has been called out on some Wah Wah pedal stuff.  Bad News Bear that cat is unfortunately.

So... In closing...
Just trying to keep my fellow guitar nerds from getting ripped off like I was.

Caveat Emptor
Joe Bonamassa.

thanks for the warning Joe
cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Things are going CRAZY on TGP about this at the moment.

Mason has come clean in a thread on there, and admitted that his Wah was just a BBE Ben Wah with minimal internal changes done.  He has also admitted to resleeving Belden patch cables under his own brand.  Sad stuff, but the guy has come clean now, and is even offering refunds to people who want to return their gear - although he did mention that he would have to seek funding to make those refunds, so the overall outlook is grim.

His career in the music industry is totally tanked now.

Interestingly, in his confessional thread, someone asked him about Joe's pedal board, and he mentioned that has part of his restitution, he would be 'reaching out to Joe this week' to explain himself and ask for forgiveness.  It would be interesting to hear if he did in fact do this.

It's been pretty much the biggest gear scandal of the decade.  Big name guys like Mike Landau and Pete Thorn have pulled their demos and endorsements, though he still has guys like Robben Ford on his web site.

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Roger roger smile

Electrics: 85 Les Paul Custom, 01 335, 03 Les Paul Special

Crybaby>Shanon Phaser> Supa-Trem> OCD> Homebrew distorion>Homebrew Miniboost > Boss Dimension C> Carbon Copy> TU3 Tuner : Amp- WoodCross head or combo or Hot Rod Deluxe

5 (edited by wishkahdaddy 2014-09-09 08:49:43)

Yeah, Mason got me on his "NOS" Axis Wah. Turns out there are no NOS parts in the thing...He did give me a partial refund so that helps. Once bitten twice shy, however...

$1,400? Man Joe, you got off cheap. He quoted me over $5k for a pedal board to be wired! Ha

Here is the link to Mason's, "Coming Clean" speech that he made after he was caught with his hand deep into the cookie jar.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth … ?t=1477492

It's posted on The Gear Page under the "Builders/Retailers" forum. Probably elsewhere also...
Randy

JDPS150 wrote:

Roger roger smile

if I ever meet Mason i'll kick his **** for you.

Most of us guitarists are "tone nerds".  We look into gear in great depth. It is hard to deceive us for very long. You will be found out, and we will share the info.

Greed is an awful thing man!!!   Mike Landau posted a response on HRI forum as well about vertex and his connection...mikes response also was classy ( like his playing ), and sorry people got "dupped" by these unethical business dealings.....

Jay

Self-Professed "GOLDIE" Nut-Job!!!!

JBLP #267

Mason contacted me also in March of this year, wanting me to produce some Youtube demos of all 'his' gear. We agreed on a deal to to do so but I never heard from him again. I'm now very glad things transpired as they did... 

Love your work, Joe. Rock on. smile

Brett K.

Burgs is here!!!!  One of the GREAT gear-demo-ers of all time!!  Welcome!!

ruger9 wrote:

Burgs is here!!!!  One of the GREAT gear-demo-ers of all time!!  Welcome!!

Wow, that was unexpected. Thanks! I'm very flattered. smile

Nice to meet you. We talk about guitar gear quite a bit around here, and it's more tame than other online forums lol
I guess having JB in common evens the playing field, interests and expectations.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Burgs wrote:

Mason contacted me also in March of this year, wanting me to produce some Youtube demos of all 'his' gear. We agreed on a deal to to do so but I never heard from him again. I'm now very glad things transpired as they did... 

Love your work, Joe. Rock on. smile

Brett K.

Wow, Brett Kingman in the House
Shout Out to Sadie, the dynamic duo
Youtube's Finest

Welcome

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Nice to meet you. We talk about guitar gear quite a bit around here, and it's more tame than other online forums lol
I guess having JB in common evens the playing field, interests and expectations.

Thanks for having me. If I can chip in, I certainly will. Joe's the expert, though - and he has the stuff. I'm on the er... slightly lower end of the scale. Heheh. But still loving it! smile

Rick wrote:

Wow, Brett Kingman in the House
Shout Out to Sadie, the dynamic duo
Youtube's Finest

Welcome

Much obliged. Thanks and see you around. smile

Glad the truth came out and hope Mason does make good on his word. A real shame this all is. Looking forward to Different Shades of Blue! Congrats Joe to you all and Kevin!

17 (edited by Jon 2014-09-24 06:43:14)

I thought that the Vertex Boost pedal was a good idea - using an expression pedal to dial in the boost/cut as appropriate rather than  a traditional volume pedal using a pot.

Oh well....strange how some people conduct themselves...it's the same in all walks of life though....you have to get a balance between self-promotion and actually doing a really good job....too far one way or the other and life becomes unbalanced.

Now does anyone want to buy a Freakish Blues overdrive?  ;-)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Bad News Bear that cat is unfortunately.

Hey, Joe,

I'm looking at themes you've created,
«the cat will shed the tears of a mouse».
(and they say you haven’t been on the forum since 2012)

Will there be good news?)