Topic: Stop 'Drive-Through' Mastectomies

I'm not sure if this is considered political or not and therefore not appropriate.  If it is, I will understand why it's been removed.  I got this e-mail from a friend asking for help.  I know Sheryl Crow, Olivia Newton-John and Linda McCartney (RIP) are/would be in support of this.  I haven't seen "Sicko" yet, but it seems there are some severe  problems with health care in the U.S.

"If you know anyone who suffered thru this as I did you will take the time. Thanks. Jim Leix

Mastectomy Bill in Congress

This will take just a minute.  Please read and pass it on!

(written by a surgeon)

I'll never forget the look in my patients eyes when I had to tell them they had to go home with the drains, new exercises and no breast.  I  remember begging the Doctors to keep these women in the hospital longer, only to hear that they would, but their hands were tied by the insurance companies.

So there I sat with my patient giving them the instructions they needed to take care of themselves, knowing full well they didn't grasp half of what I was saying, because the glazed, hopeless, frightened look spoke louder than the quiet 'Thank you' they muttered.

A mastectomy is when a woman's breast is removed in order to remove cancerous breast cells/tissue. If you know anyone who has had a mastectomy, you may know that there is a lot of discomfort and pain afterwards.   Insurance companies are trying to make mastectomies an outpatient procedure. Let's give women the chance to recover properly in  the hospital for 2 days after surgery.

Mastectomy Bill in Congress

It takes 2 seconds  to  do this and is very important .. Please take the  time and do it really  quick!  Breast Cancer Hospitalization Bill - Important legislation for all women.

Please send this to everyone in your address book.

If there was  ever a time when our voices and choices should be heard, this is one of those  times.   If you're receiving this, it's because I think you will take the  30 seconds to go to vote on this issue and send it on to others you know who will do the same.

There's a bill called the Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act which will require insurance companies to cover a minimum 48-hour hospital stay for patients undergoing a   mastectomy.   It's about eliminating the 'drive-through mastectomy' where women are forced to go home just a few hours after surgery, against the wishes of their doctor, still groggy from anesthesia and sometimes with drainage tubes still attached.

Lifetime Television has put this bill on their web page with a petition drive to show your support.   Last year over half the house signed on.

PLEASE!! Sign the petition by clicking on the web site below. You need not give more than your name and zip code number.

http://www.lifetimetv.com/breastcancer/ … tition.php

This takes about 2 seconds.  PLEASE PASS THIS ON to your
Friends and family, and on behalf of all women, THANKS"

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Re: Stop 'Drive-Through' Mastectomies

IMO this fits in with what the "Off Topic" section is about. I don't think this has anything to do with politics. It has to do with the ever spiraling health care costs in this country and the greed on ALL sides. Not only insurance companies, but doctors, lawyers and even some patients...the ones who sue for enormous sums over any mishap, no matter how minor. With a wife and two adult daughters, this strikes close to home. I just signed the petition.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

I signed it too.  I worked in the health care field for 20 years when things were still decent -
quit when things started to change and want no part of it now.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind.  Mick Jagger

Wow, this is just...crazy. I also signed the petition.

Mary

LOL-ler-tastic.

I just signed the petition too. I have personal experience with this subject since my sister is currently undergoing chemotherapy after having a double mastectomy last year. She did manage to get to stay in the hospital for a couple of days but it was due to the fact that she is also bipolar and was having a rough time with all of the medications and their interactions. She is currently doing well and will finsh chemo next month, I just went to visit her last week in Texas. The insurance companies and drug companies run the country, and there haven't been many victories against them because their lobbies are so powerful in D.C. I'm going to control myself and not get started on a tirade about insurance because I have seen some really Sh***y dealings down here in LA since Katrina. We all have a right to be treated fairly if we pay for a service to protect ourselves, we shouldn't be forced to fight to get what we payed for. That's enough about that...whew.

Paul

blu69-Sorry to hear about your sister and Katrina, WOW. I don't want to rant too much either about this dilemna...it's so complex and a vicious cycle..slime lawyers/doctors/lobbyists that lie and cheat the system and drive the costs up!!  There was a pregnant woman a couple years back that had 3 different doctor practices during her 9 month pregnancy...the first 2 practices packed up, abandoned her and left the state because of malpractice costs!!  I say Burning Hell to all insurance companies that wrongly deny claims/care for patients/customers/physicians. Best wishes for your sister's recovery and that is just terrible about your dealings after Katrina, it's a disgrace.

blu69cam wrote:

I just signed the petition too. I have personal experience with this subject since my sister is currently undergoing chemotherapy after having a double mastectomy last year. She did manage to get to stay in the hospital for a couple of days but it was due to the fact that she is also bipolar and was having a rough time with all of the medications and their interactions. She is currently doing well and will finsh chemo next month, I just went to visit her last week in Texas. The insurance companies and drug companies run the country, and there haven't been many victories against them because their lobbies are so powerful in D.C. I'm going to control myself and not get started on a tirade about insurance because I have seen some really Sh***y dealings down here in LA since Katrina. We all have a right to be treated fairly if we pay for a service to protect ourselves, we shouldn't be forced to fight to get what we payed for. That's enough about that...whew.

Paul

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Against my better judgement, I thought I would look up this old topic. I glanced at this the first time Angela posted this back in July. Well I have a very close family member who is facing a lumpectomy, with a good possibilty of a mastectomy, depending on the surgery and biopsies on the lump as well as lymphnodes being removed. I was there for the consultation with the surgeon last week, and i was floored she would be sent home the same day!! I grilled the doctor on this and his response was it wasnt his choice to send her home so soon. I just signed the petition, when it hits close to home, you look at life much differently. I probably shouldnt posted this, but it is much to important to ignore. Thanks Angela for putting this on here.

Shred

P.S......This family member found this lump months ago, and JUST!! decided to get it checked out. If your a woman and find yourself in this situation, get some medical advice IMMEDIATELY at the very minimum, it only takes a phone call or a e-mail, it could be the wisest thing you will ever do!

8 (edited by ohiodawg13 2007-10-11 11:35:50)

Amen, I have a new found appreciation for seeing your doctor the minute you suspect something isn't right. DO NOT BE AFRAID!!!!! regardless of the procedure they want to perform. Being in the midst of cancer treatment I've crossed paths with other patients that look like they have one foot in the grave or stories of loved ones who have passed on all because they waited too long to consult their physician, This stuff doesn't just go away one day. It's up to you to take the bull by the horns and kick it in the nuts repeatedly till you're in control of your destiny. Early detection is the only way to win these battles.The best detection if you can afford it and get your health care provider to warrant it is a full body P.E.T. Scan. Get annual check ups and follow your doctors orders on procedures for those of us over 40 and definitely if you're over 50. OK, now I have to head to the hospital to have my staples removed, please see J Dawgs Excellent Halloween Costume if you haven't already.

I Have Cancer, Cancer Doesn't Have Me,

J Dawg

Shred, when said family member is ready to open up she knows I'm right there for her. Just as she has been there to support me. Gotta go I'm shedding tears on my key board.

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Have only just seen this and don't have time for a long or comprehensive post now, but in case anyone here has missed it, please see my post in the introduction forum.

I am deeply, emotionally involved in the fight against cancer, and in trying to change attitudes and practices so that all of us are better informed about this killer.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith