Re: The Tyne - Tees Gig Guide.

Solid Entertainments have altered the bill for upcoming Durham & Cleethorpes Festivals in light of Walter Trout's illness. Instead of bringing in a new headliner, they've promoted Royal Southern Brotherhood up to top billing.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

A good decision and well deserved, Mike. I'm sure RSB will step up to the plate, to use an American expression, and the punters oop north won't be disappointed. As Kenny said after seeing RSB at the Jazz Cafe on their first London date a couple of years ago, "that was worth the air fare alone!". Needless to say RSB were just one of the bands Kenny was seing on that trip but he was knocked out, as we all were, by their soulfull, funky rocking blues.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

57 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-04-04 07:24:04)

Wooders wrote:

A good decision and well deserved, Mike. I'm sure RSB will step up to the plate, to use an American expression, and the punters oop north won't be disappointed. As Kenny said after seeing RSB at the Jazz Cafe on their first London date a couple of years ago, "that was worth the air fare alone!". Needless to say RSB were just one of the bands Kenny was seing on that trip but he was knocked out, as we all were, by their soulfull, funky rocking blues.

Phil

Sorry to sound churlish, but leaves me a quandary, stay and catch RSB or dash 20 miles across the county to catch Ryan McGarvey at Hartlepool as originally intended.

Hmmmm, I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. That's a tough one. hmm

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

The sensational line up for the SummerTyne Americana Festival 2014 promises a wider spread of Americana flavoured sounds than ever before. Taking to the stage at Sage Gateshead between 18th and 20th July will be a host of Americana legends as well as a plethora of newer US and UK breakthrough acts.

We are proud to announce that headliners include The Jayhawks, Booker T. Jones, Bettye Lavette, Steven Seagal Blues Band, Earl Thomas, Chuck Prophet and the SummerTyne Strings Orchestra, John Fullbright, Sarah Jarosz, Cass McCombs, Smoke Fairies and Eve Selis. 

Heading up the main stage is one of the most important bands to define the Americana sound, The Jayhawks, who fuse traditional rock, country and folk influences into something timeless and modern. This electrifying bill also includes Marc Ford, the fabled former lead guitarist with the Black Crowes.

A not to be missed soul music double bill is the legendary Booker T. Jones and compelling and inspiring Bettye Lavette.  Also taking to the main stage will be Steven Seagal Blues Band plus Earl Thomas. The accomplished musician and Hollywood action legend has honed his craft for playing the blues, performing with the likes of BB King, John Lee Hooker and ‘Gatemouth’ Brown. Earl Thomas blends Stax soul with the grittiness of modern electric blues.

In a very special and UK exclusive performance with the SummerTyne Strings Orchestra, Californian singer/songwriter and Green on Red main man Chuck Prophet, peforms material from his ‘Temple Beautiful’ album.

The 2014 programme includes some notable young Americana musicians, singers and songwriters. Highlights include Texan “newgrass prodigy” Sarah Jarosz and hotly tipped Oklahoman singer/songwriter John Fullbright. Fellow Oklahoman Samantha Crain, known for her rich alto and beautiful and thoughtful folk repertoire will perform on an exciting double bill with her label mates, folk/blues duo Smoke Fairies performing material from their brand new hotly tipped album. And master producer and singer/songwriter Ethan Johns takes a break from producing for the Kings of Leon/Ryan Adams to join Cass McCombs in another highly anticipated double bill. 

Also appearing on stage will be Eve Selis & Berkley Hart supported by breakthrough act Zervas & Pepper, Canadian string band Gordie Mackeeman & His Rhythm Boys with one of the UK’s top young bluegrass and folk acts, The Carrivick Sisters.

Back for 2014 will be one of the most popular features of the SummerTyne Americana Festival, the FREE outdoor Jumpin’ Hot stage. Audiences can sit back on the south bank of the Tyne and enjoy the best in country, blues and rock ‘n’ roll. Acts appearing include The Magnolia Sisters, Otis Gibbs, Davina & The Vagabonds, I Draw Slow, Danny and the Champions of the World plus many many more.

BansheeUK wrote:

Solid Entertainments have altered the bill for upcoming Durham & Cleethorpes Festivals in light of Walter Trout's illness. Instead of bringing in a new headliner, they've promoted Royal Southern Brotherhood up to top billing.

There's an old saying in the Far East (Peterlee); "if things don't change, they stop as they are". Update on the Durham/Cleethopes Blues Festivals - now to be headlined by the indestructible Wilko Johnson; so RSB back down to 2nd place.

Updated for the holiday week;  Mentulls, you may want to check December 6th, interesting clash for you if you're not working.

BansheeUK wrote:

Updated for the holiday week;  Mentulls, you may want to check December 6th, interesting clash for you if you're not working.

Indeed - a difficult choice of which gig to go to Mike !!

6th September - The Arc, Stockton - Danny Bryant + The Mentulls

The Mentulls wrote:

6th September - The Arc, Stockton - Danny Bryant + The Mentulls

Thanks guys.

Another tasty gig for Stockton Arc, looks to be coming a regular halt on the Blues trail.

65 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-07-17 07:51:49)

Darlington R'n'B Club's Market Square Festival 2014

SUNDAY 14TH SEPTEMBER

Market Square - Main Stage.

MUNGO JERRY

4:00pm to 5:20pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARCUS MALONE BAND

2:30pm to 3:30pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE GROOVE-A-MATICS

1:00pm to 2:00pm

FRINGE FESTIVAL

THE DOLPHIN CENTRE [Market Square]
The Dana Ali Band [1:45pm - 3:45pm], The Alligators [5:00pm - 7:00pm].

THE PENNYWEIGHT [Market Square]
George Shovlin & The Radars [3:30pm - 5:30pm], Mojo Hand Band [7:00pm - 9:00pm].

THE HOLE IN THE WALL [Market Square]
Erik & The Vikings [2:30pm - 4:30pm].

THE QUAYS [Tubwell Row]
Jet Martin [5:00pm - 7:00pm].

THE BOOT 'N' SHOE [Market Square]
The Hokum Hotshots [2:30pm - 4:30pm].

THE QUAKER HOUSE [Mechanic's Yard]
Alex Fawcett Band [2:00pm - 4:00pm], Mo Scott Band [5:00pm - 7:00pm], Lewis Hamilton Band [8:30pm - 10:30pm].

HOSKINS BAR [Blackwellgate]
D V D Band [6:00pm - 8:00pm].

VOODOO CAFE [Skinnergate]
Howlin' Matt [2:00pm - 3:45pm], Trevor Sewell [4:30pm - 6:15pm], Robert Lane [7:00pm - 8:45pm].

Just confirmed:
9th May 2015 The Cluny 2, Newcastle - The Mentulls

:da   We're 2years old today........  :da

Like our big brother / inspiration thread, the London Gig Guide, can I ask folk who drop by for a little feedback. Do you still find this useful? Are there any bands or venues I'm missing that you feel should be included.

Cheers
Mike

October 25th - "Super Saturday" was bad enough, but check out "Fantastic Friday" Dec 5th.

5th - Aynsley Lister @ Newcastle; The Cluny
        Celebration of Walter Trout; inc Mitch Laddie + Laurence Jones @ Newcastle, Riverside
        Dr Feelgood + Dan Owen @ Ripley; Blues Club
        The Paddy McGuire Band @ Stockton; Cleveland Bay
         Eric Martin @ Newcastle; Think Tank
        Martin Barre @ Reeth; Buck Hotel

Talk about spoilt for choice......

BansheeUK wrote:

October 25th - "Super Saturday" was bad enough, but check out "Fantastic Friday" Dec 5th.

Celebration of Walter Trout; inc Mitch Laddie + Laurence Jones @ Newcastle, Riverside

Will you stop rubbing it in! wink

GMac wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Then you won't want me to tell you that the Martin Barre gig is priced at a bargain £10!!!!

BansheeUK wrote:
GMac wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Then you won't want me to tell you that the Martin Barre gig is priced at a bargain £10!!!!

Oh shut up

Last update before Christmas.

All the very best to those who look in; and hope to see you somewhere, at one of the shows.