Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

April 11th:
Right old mix-up on a Brit-pop theme:-

21:00 Arena  Amy Winehouse - The Day She Came to Dingle
How Amy Winehouse gave an acoustic performance in a church in the Irish village of Dingle. (R)

22:00 Britpop at the BBC
Featuring Elastica, Sleeper, Suede, Menswear, plus many others from the Britpop era.

23:00 Glastonbury  2009, Blur
Highlights of Blur's triumphant gig on the Pyramid Stage in June 2009. (R)

00:00 It's Slade
Documentary about the much-loved British band Slade, huge glam rock stars of the 70s. (R)

00:50 Arena  Amy Winehouse - The Day She Came to Dingle
How Amy Winehouse gave an acoustic performance in a church in the Irish village of Dingle. (R)

01:50 Britpop at the BBC
Featuring Elastica, Sleeper, Suede, Menswear, plus many others from the Britpop era. (R)

02:50 Glastonbury  2009, Blur
Highlights of Blur's triumphant gig on the Pyramid Stage in June 2009. (R)

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

182 (edited by Rocket 2014-04-01 08:36:38)

Grumble...grumble..grumble.

Wish this was available. sad  Looks like I could make plans to catch some part of at least one hour every week if t'were.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:

Grumble...grumble..grumble.

Wish this was available. sad  Looks like I could make plans to catch some part of at least one hour every week if t'were.

Wish I could help; makes some good post-gig wind-down viewing or a good alternative to a gig-free Friday night

I must admit most weeks I tune in for an hour or so to this and some other stuff again on 4 or 3 on Saturdays. It is what makes the BBC great at times. The festival coverage is especially good. Funnily a favorite from Glastonbury last year was the Sunday family slot with Kenny Rogers. :lol

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

18th April - Folks reckon this guy is a bit good on the ol' geetar... see what you think:-

21:00 imagine...  Winter 2013, Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin'
The story of how a shy, former private became the greatest rock guitarist of all time. (R)

22:30 Jimi Hendrix: The Road to Woodstock
The definitive documentary record of one of Jimi Hendrix's most celebrated performances. (R)

23:30 Guitar Heroes at the BBC  Part II
2/6 With Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, Peter Green, Johnny Winter, Ry Cooder and Angus Young. (R)

00:30 Later... with Jools Holland  Guitar Heroes
Featuring Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Pete Townshend. (R)

01:30 imagine...  Winter 2013, Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin'
The story of how a shy, former private became the greatest rock guitarist of all time. (R)

03:00 Jimi Hendrix: The Road to Woodstock
The definitive documentary record of one of Jimi Hendrix's most celebrated performances. (R)

18th April - Folks reckon this guy is a bit good on the ol' geetar... see what you think:-

21:00 imagine...  Winter 2013, Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin'

22:30 Jimi Hendrix: The Road to Woodstock

23:30 Guitar Heroes at the BBC  Part II
2/6 With Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, Peter Green, Johnny Winter, Ry Cooder and Angus Young. (R)

00:30 Later... with Jools Holland  Guitar Heroes
Featuring Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Pete Townshend. (R)

01:30 imagine...  Winter 2013, Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin'

03:00 Jimi Hendrix: The Road to Woodstock

187 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-04-15 09:42:22)

25th April - A night for the cardigan & slippers brigade:-

21:00 ... Sings Bacharach and David!
A variety of artists perform the work of songwriting team Burt Bacharach and Hal David. (R)

22:00 The Joy of Easy Listening
Documentary telling the story of the easy listening genre from the 50s to the present day. (R)

23:30 Neil Diamond: Solitary Man
A look at Neil Diamond's life, from his childhood to his successes as a pop singer. (R)

00:30 Electric Proms  2010, Neil Diamond
Neil Diamond in concert from London's Roundhouse with his six-piece band. (R)

01:35 Easy Listening Hits at the BBC
With Burt Bacharach, Andy Williams, Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66, the Carpenters and more. (R)

02:35 ... Sings Bacharach and David!
A variety of artists perform the work of songwriting team Burt Bacharach and Hal David. (R)

Make mine an Ovaltine on the rocks...

(Edit - date is 25th April - tried to do it in a complimentary beige - to my surprise, the colour wheel recognised it!)

Complimentary? More like invisible. Time and place for everything so there's nowt wrong wi' bit o' easy listening, although I draw the line at John Denver who was on a few weeks ago. The line-up for the 25th actually has a lot of class with Bacharach and David and Neil Diamond. Yes, I am serious.

Thanks for the update, Mike. smile

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

189 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-04-16 04:51:52)

Wooders wrote:

Complimentary? More like invisible. Time and place for everything so there's nowt wrong wi' bit o' easy listening, although I draw the line at John Denver who was on a few weeks ago. The line-up for the 25th actually has a lot of class with Bacharach and David and Neil Diamond. Yes, I am serious.

Thanks for the update, Mike. smile

Have to admit, I watched The Joy of first time round and found it quite interesting, especially interviews with Jimmy Webb (if the grey cells haven't failed me), though the Bert Kaempfert section brought back the nightmares; my dad went through that phase until he discovered ABBA.... :emb

Funny about Neil Diamond; my brother's first ever gig was Neil Diamond @ Birmingham NEC about 25 years ago. :fp

Glad I inherited my music taste from my mother's side..... :ch

190 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-04-23 02:57:44)

May 2nd - they're keeping it beige....

21:00 Arena  Frank Sinatra: The Voice of the Century
Portrait of crooner Frank Sinatra from early family background to showbusiness success. (R)

22:35 ... Sings the Great American Songbook
Featuring Shirley Bassey, Jamie Cullum, Bryan Ferry, Kirsty MacColl and Florence Welch. (R)

23:35 Legends  Doris Day: Virgin Territory
Michael Brandon narrates a profile of one of the legends of the big screen, Doris Day. (R)

00:35 Arena  Frank Sinatra: The Voice of the Century
Portrait of crooner Frank Sinatra from early family background to showbusiness success. (R)

02:10 ... Sings the Great American Songbook
Featuring Shirley Bassey, Jamie Cullum, Bryan Ferry, Kirsty MacColl and Florence Welch. (R)

03:10 Sounds of the 70s 2  Guilty Pleasures - Love Will Keep Us Together
4/10 Featuring the Carpenters, Bread, John Denver, 10cc, Captain and Tennille and Dr Hook. (R)

Hey look Phil, even some John Denver in there for you...... tongue

May 9th - Re-scheduled Rolling Stones night.....

21:00 The Rolling Stones Return to Hyde Park: Sweet Summer Sun
Footage of the Rolling Stones' Hyde Park 2013 performance, with special guest Mick Taylor. (R)

22:10 The Rolling Stones at the BBC
A collection of rare archive footage celebrating 50 years of The Rolling Stones. (R)

22:55 When Rock Goes Acoustic
Documentary taking a look at the love affair between rock and the acoustic guitar. (R)

23:55 Acoustic at the BBC
Acoustic guitar performances, including Jimmy Page, Oasis and Biffy Clyro. (R)

00:55 The Rolling Stones Return to Hyde Park: Sweet Summer Sun
Footage of the Rolling Stones' Hyde Park 2013 performance, with special guest Mick Taylor. (R)

02:10 The Rolling Stones at the BBC
A collection of rare archive footage celebrating 50 years of The Rolling Stones. (R)

02:55 When Rock Goes Acoustic
Documentary taking a look at the love affair between rock and the acoustic guitar. (R)

BansheeUK wrote:

May 9th - Re-scheduled Rolling Stones night.....

21:00 The Rolling Stones Return to Hyde Park: Sweet Summer Sun

22:10 The Rolling Stones at the BBC

22:55 When Rock Goes Acoustic

23:55 Acoustic at the BBC
Acoustic guitar performances, including Jimmy Page, Oasis and Biffy Clyro. (R)

00:55 The Rolling Stones Return to Hyde Park: Sweet Summer Sun

02:10 The Rolling Stones at the BBC

02:55 When Rock Goes Acoustic

At least we are getting back to watchable music. lol

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

May 16th - bit of something for (nearly) everyone tonight:-

21:00 The Doors - The Story of LA Woman
The amazing story of The Doors' landmark album LA Woman, released in 1971. (R)

22:00 Kings of Rock and Roll
A look back at the 1950s, a decade often seen as having the wildest pop music of all time. (R)

23:00 50s Britannia Rock 'n' Roll Britannia
1/2 Documentary about British youth's attempts to copy American rock 'n' roll in the late 50s. (R)

00:00 Classic Albums  Series 3, Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
5/6 The creation of Elvis Presley's debut album, which heralded his rise to stardom in 1956. (R)

00:50 The Doors - The Story of LA Woman
The amazing story of The Doors' landmark album LA Woman, released in 1971. (R)

01:50 Kings of Rock and Roll
A look back at the 1950s, a decade often seen as having the wildest pop music of all time. (R)

02:55 50s Britannia  Rock 'n' Roll Britannia
1/2 Documentary about British youth's attempts to copy American rock 'n' roll in the late 50s. (R)

May 23rd -  mmmm Jazz:

21:00 Nat King Cole: Afraid of the Dark
Film about singer Nat King Cole using his journals and interviews with family and friends.

22:30 Jazz Divas Gold
Classics from the archives, including performances from Ella Fitzgerald and Nina Simone. (R)

23:30 Queens of Jazz: The Joy and Pain of the Jazz Divas
Documentary celebrating some of the greatest female jazz singers of the 20th century. (R)

00:30 Jazz Horns Gold
With Dizzy Gillespie, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz, Wynton Marsalis, Acker Bilk and more. (R)

01:30 Nat King Cole: Afraid of the Dark
Film about singer Nat King Cole using his journals and interviews with family and friends. (R)

03:00 Queens of Jazz: The Joy and Pain of the Jazz Divas
Documentary celebrating some of the greatest female jazz singers of the 20th century. (R)

Nice.....  cool

May 30th - one of those nights could very well be a "gem" of an evening:-

21:00 Storyville  2013-2014, Searching for Sugar Man
How the forgotten 1960s American rocker Rodriguez became a phenomenon in South Africa.
Oscar-winning documentary which tells the remarkable story of the American rock icon who never was. With a great soundtrack, moving interviews and a breathtaking twist, this is the ultimate film about the resonating power of music.

In the late 60s, Detroit-based singer Sixto Rodriguez was momentarily hailed as the finest recording artist of his generation. But when his album bombed, he disappeared into oblivion amid rumours of a gruesome onstage suicide. The film tells the astonishing story of how a bootleg recording found its way into apartheid South Africa and became a phenomenon. Two South African fans turned detectives to find out what really happened to their hero. Their investigation led them to a story more extraordinary than any of the existing myths about the artist known as Rodriguez. This is a film about hope, inspiration and the realisation of deferred dreams.

The film is directed by Malik Bendjelloul who sadly died this month

22:20 Troubadours: The Rise of the Singer-Songwriter
Film about the 1970s LA singer-songwriter culture, with James Taylor and Carole King. (R)

23:45 Singer-Songwriters at the BBC  Series 1, Episode 1
1/4 With Elton John, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Harry Nilsson, Sandy Denny and Joni Mitchell. (R)

00:45 Storyville  2013-2014, Searching for Sugar Man
How the forgotten 1960s American rocker Rodriguez became a phenomenon in South Africa. (R)

02:05 Troubadours: The Rise of the Singer-Songwriter
Film about the 1970s LA singer-songwriter culture, with James Taylor and Carole King. (R)

June 6th:-

21:00 You've Got a Friend: The Carole King Story
Profile of the acclaimed singer-songwriter Carole King.

22:00 Singer-Songwriters at the BBC  Series 2, Episode 1
1/4 With Don McLean,Tim Buckley, John Martyn, Sandy Denny, Stealers Wheel and Joni Mitchell. (R)

23:00 Still Bill: The Bill Withers Story
With concert footage and interviews, an intimate portrait of soul legend Bill Withers. (R)

00:10 In Concert  Bill Withers
Bill Withers performs hits such as Lean on Me, Ain't No Sunshine and Grandma's Hands. (R)

00:40 You've Got a Friend: The Carole King Story
Profile of the acclaimed singer-songwriter Carole King. (R)

01:40 Singer-Songwriters at the BBC  Series 2, Episode 1
1/4 With Don McLean,Tim Buckley, John Martyn, Sandy Denny, Stealers Wheel and Joni Mitchell. (R)

02:40 Still Bill: The Bill Withers Story
With concert footage and interviews, an intimate portrait of soul legend Bill Withers. (R)

June 13th:- WARNING - This evening's programmes may contain traces of John Denver.

21:00 Killing Me Softly: The Roberta Flack Story
Profile of soul singer Roberta Flack, who charted an atypical path to fame in the 1970s.

22:00 Singer-Songwriters at the BBC  Series 2, Episode 2
2/4 With Tom Paxton, Harry Nilsson, Gordon Lightfoot, Stealers Wheel and John Denver. (R)

23:00 Tubular Bells: The Mike Oldfield Story
The story behind Mike Oldfield's career and his massive-selling album Tubular Bells. (R)

00:00 Weller at the BBC
Performances from the BBC archive spanning the 35 years of Paul Weller's career. (R)

01:00 Killing Me Softly: The Roberta Flack Story
Profile of soul singer Roberta Flack, who charted an atypical path to fame in the 1970s. (R)

02:00 Singer-Songwriters at the BBC Series 2, Episode 2
2/4 With Tom Paxton, Harry Nilsson, Gordon Lightfoot, Stealers Wheel and John Denver. (R)

03:00 Tubular Bells: The Mike Oldfield Story
The story behind Mike Oldfield's career and his massive-selling album Tubular Bells. (R)

Thanks for the warning, Mike. Unfortunately, I won't be out of the country this time. sad

Far too many Rs for my liking. Isn't it about time someone at the Beeb included Joe playing Lonesome Road Blues on Jools Holland's show in one of the Guitar Greats at the BBC instead of including bands whose guitarist is so so at best? Rant over.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56