Topic: Opinions on Marshall's JTM 45/2245

Humble people and guitar freaks alike! I would love to know your opinion on the "new" JTM 45/2245. Also if anybody has had the chance to get their hands on one of the old ones and what is the difference between the vintage and the new. Thanks all

Les Paul Lover

Re: Opinions on Marshall's JTM 45/2245

I don't know about the new Marshalls but check out www.rockittretro.com

These amps are ridiculously good at an affordable price!

The marshall ones are overpriced in my opinion. Lots of clones out there sound just as good for cheaper. Metro amps, ceriatone, etc.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Spider wrote:

The sound clips on their site sound great....great prices too...

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

5 (edited by Jimi75 2014-01-23 15:18:20)

I love my Marshall JTM45 RI! Sorry, but all the clone talk is mostly done by people who didn't even play nor the Marshall neither one of the many clones. If you want a Marshall buy a Marshall. It sounds awesome, but you have to fire it up! So consider an attenuator or a master volume mod. There's nothing you would do wrong with buying the reissue. I have just finished recording our last album, both volumes on 8, an OCD, a TS9 and my trusty Fuzz in front - tone heaven! Only few amps come close.

Here's three older clips of my amp - by the way I changed to KT66 tubes:
http://youtu.be/ufTThYSUpQM
http://youtu.be/Q-s3V4_9Ikk
http://youtu.be/8mwAU2D5-9Y

Let me know if you have questions :-)

LesPaul4 wrote:
Spider wrote:

Those clips sound nice without a doubt, but nothing like a JTM45. These amps sound more like a Plexi, but even a Plexi sounds different.

Although some people claim the JTM45 belongs to the Plexi group, it sounds warmer and softer and has not such a defined bass and growly midhump.

@Guitarrista.88: Again, get a clear picture of what a JTM45 sounds like. Don't mix up with a JMP/Plexi - that's a different beast.

Jimi75 wrote:
LesPaul4 wrote:
Spider wrote:

Those clips sound nice without a doubt, but nothing like a JTM45. These amps sound more like a Plexi, but even a Plexi sounds different.

Although some people claim the JTM45 belongs to the Plexi group, it sounds warmer and softer and has not such a defined bass and growly midhump.

@Guitarrista.88: Again, get a clear picture of what a JTM45 sounds like. Don't mix up with a JMP/Plexi - that's a different beast.

Clones are a great alternative. Most are better built, and use better components than whats being mass produced today. I suggested Rockitt Retro because they're extremely well made, excellent craftsmanship, with superb "plexi" tone, at a very affordable price, (and yes I do own one). It was not presented as a comparison to a JTM-45 but I can see why you would assume so. If you think about it, what Marshall is offering now is actually, a clone! It's only taken them 20 years to catch on (but they still don't get it). If you prefer to pay for the name, help yourself to one. If you can afford an original 60's plexi, go right ahead. I don't have that kind of money along with the extra dollars it will cost to have it repaired to make it usable.

Spider, I get your point. For most of the American clones you don't have contracted warranty techs here in Europe and the thread opener is, as I am, from Europe. If a problem occurs you pay extra money for the repair with an independent tech. With an A-brand you are on the save side as there are service techs everywhere for Marshall stuff. I have put my Marshall JTM45 through all its paces, I play approx. 80 gigs a year and in 6 years no issues. I judge its qualites and especially the sound based on a long experience with this device. I have played the following European clones- Linnemann and Cream, further I have played a Metro Kit and a Ceriatone - for most of the clones I don't know nothing about if they are qualified for the road or not, but one thing is for sure, they do not sound better than the reissue plus most people would fail in a blinfold test to tell PCB from PTP. Sure you don't have to pay for the name and you mention a very good point here, but don't we all do so with our GIBSON LPs and JB signature pedals? I mean there is tons of better guitar builders that do for half the price! In the end, one aspect, although it has nothing to do with music, is the re-sale value and for the original you will always get a better price, but that's not an argument for me, but maybe for someone who has to afford new equipment with selling old equipment. Anyways, the rockittrero amps sound fantastic, thanks for the hint ;-) As I will be in the USA in April, I might grab one of these. A 68 PLexi would be very welcome in my house, but it's hard to find one here in Germay.

Jimi, I understand your point on service and I would agree with your point that your gear needs to stand up to touring. You want it dependable. I'm happy for you that your gear has stood the test of time. But I didn't see that question proposed in the original post that the amp was needed for a touring musician. Neither did I see where it was stated "I am from Europe" although I see the poster is from Spain. Some people like myself just want a decent amp at a decent price. But I'm not here to argue the finer points or enter into a discussion of European vs. American. As yet I am unaware of any touring musicians using a Rockitt Retro, but I believe they are well made enough to stand up to road abuse (if properly protected) and will continue to give the player great tone night after night. There's hazards that go along with life on the road. I guess if you buy one, or any other product, it's simply a matter of, "time will tell". Good luck and have a safe, enjoyable trip to the US.

Jimi75 wrote:

I love my Marshall JTM45 RI! Sorry, but all the clone talk is mostly done by people who didn't even play nor the Marshall neither one of the many clones.

I've owned and played Marshalls and a Metroamp JTM 45

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Thanks guys for all the opinions but being British ... i'm kind of pulled towards my "heritage" (British Amp). Played millions of fenders ... and i've had that urge now for a few years to get something with a bit of UMPF!. Another thing is i play sessions weekly and gigs nearly every weekend so i am taking that reliability factor into account and here i can just ship it off to England if anything happens to it which i very much doubt in the first few years plus 30watts is about right here in spain. People tend to complain about volume and if you can open it up at less volume even the better.  By the way if you get the chance to try out this years deluxe reverb from fender go for it ... great with a fuzz in front of it ... very "ballsy" for a fender smile

Peace All !

Les Paul Lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGy0pPllHVQ#t=129

I love the tone of the Marshall Reissue. I preferred it of a Metro hand built.
And none of us will ever exactly copy anyone's tone, so it doesn't matter.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/4 … 45_Roundup

Great article. The reissue stacks up extremely well.

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

kevman13 wrote:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/4 … 45_Roundup

Great article. The reissue stacks up extremely well.

Here's what the article says on the JTM45 Reissue:

"While the reissue looked very similar to the ’65 on the outside, especially due to the fact that it’s already 20 years old, the differences on the inside were quite pronounced. Assembled with more modern methods, and using a PCB rather than hand-wired turrets, you could easily be fooled into thinking that it wouldn’t perform like the others. This particular amp was the only one in the bunch to use EL34s rather than KT66s or 6L6s, so the sound was definitely different. It was incredibly loud and focused sounding, and actually had many of the characteristics of a Super Lead. The sustain and power of the amp was incredible, and for an amp that can be found used for around $1000, this is a sleeper bargain. Marshall has taken some flak for their amps sounding stiff and cold from the factory, but with a little attention–slightly hotter bias and good tubes–this amp is a monster. And just because it says it’s a 45-watt amp, don’t harbor any illusions that it would be a good bedroom amp. This is a loud and powerful beast, and a tone machine as well."

Keep in mind that they tested a 1990 Reissue, which still sports the old Drake transformer, of which some say it's a great sounding transformer. Newer Reissues use whatever transformer, but they also sound extremely well. I personally,
couldn't detect any big difference.

I think Gary Moore played the entire 2Still Got The Blues" album on a 1990s Reissue :-)

16 (edited by Spider 2014-01-29 17:14:25)

I wouldn't expect a publication to give a poor review of a major paying advertiser. They might get a jab or two in but in the end it's always favorable.

I open Guitarist magazine these days - firstly it is literally half adverts in 200 pages. Secondly...you have a review of any new Marshall...always four or five stars...then followed by a double page spread Marshall ad on the next page.
I mean...c'mon... roll

Well, I just ordered a Rockitt Retro 50w made to '68 plexi specs.
I ordered the 1986 Bass model.
http://www.rockittretro.com/Rockitt_Retro_50_Page_2.php