Topic: New Photo Policy Spring 2014

Beginning with the spring 2014 Tour, we are making a few changes to our photography policy at Joe’s shows.

Due to a few fans that had a blatant disregard for our previous policy, we unfortunately will no longer be able to allow professional grade SLR cameras with detachable lenses at the show. If found with this style camera at the door, you may be asked to relinquish it until the end of the night or return it to your vehicle. As Joe’s fans we still encourage you to bring your pocket sized point and shoot cameras to take as many pictures as you like, but we ask that you remain in your seat, be considerate to your neighbor and please no flash.

-Street Team Eric

2 (edited by samjp4 2014-01-10 19:02:01)

Re: New Photo Policy Spring 2014

Since this is being attributed to a "few fans who had a blatant disregard for our previous policy" couldn't those fans be prevented from getting photo passes in the future?  I assume that since one has to apply for a photo pass the names of the miscreants should be known to those who work for J+R at a show?  It doesn't seem terribly fair to punish everyone for the misdeeds of a few.  I am literally in tears over this.  I am grateful that we have been allowed to do this for so long, but I won't lie and say I like this.

Sandy

edited to add:  Anyone with a pro camera is not going to be using a flash.  I always preferred to stay in my seat to take any pictures but when the policy changed last year to only allow people to use cameras from the side of the auditorium that seemed to cause more problems.  And I always asked my seat neighbors if I was bothering them - never had a complaint.

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

I've only taken my DSLR to one show...the show for which I had front row seats.  Lordy, I took almost 1000 photos that night from my little spot right at Joe's feet!  They're still some of my favourites!  (Except for ALL of Sandy's photos from London, and of course, all of Rick Phipps', and then there's Rhonda's....  )  Oh geez, I'm not a concert photographer, but I am so sad about this new photo policy.  And Sandy's right, no one with an SLR uses flash anyway!  Whenever it is Joe is coming to Indy this spring, I have 3rd row seats.  I figured my Canon w/ my SMALL telephoto lens would still get some great shots from my seat. Now I guess not.  sad

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...

4 (edited by Rocket 2014-01-11 18:01:03)

Jane H. wrote:

I wonder if it has to do with the tons of photos I have seen for sale on ebay lately?

Doesn't really matter if it is that or Joe gets distracted or trying to keep track of who has a pass or just because they only want fully hired PROmo shots or whatever.  It's all privileged or paycheck people in the final analysis.  Although I like the people hurt by this policy so much much more and beyond than this "offensive" policy, it seems time has come.  Maybe exclude the select few, we know who they (you) are, who have never abused it and have established "track records" and can handle tightest restrictions on even them, gladly...?" As far as disruption and distraction of photography, just ask Roger62, Michael, Icon, Pete the Cabby, Curryman David, Tripsy, Maggie, Bonapostle, etc. or me about Shepherd's Bush December 29, 2010...
mad roll sad

Step down?! smile Smile, results of consumer level gear have never looked better...work it!

Rock ON & Keep the Photogenetically Developed Faith,
Rocket
{{{HUGE HUG, SANDY}}}

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

It is sad that people who have had photopasses in the past and followed the rules like Sandy, Rhonda, and Rick are going to be penalized. At all 4 shows we saw this fall it wasn't the photopass people who were disruptive, it was other people with no photopass who would saunter down the aisle like they own they place, walk right up to the stage, block peoples' views and proceed to take a bunch of photos using slr as well as point and shoot with and without flash. The security never did anything about them. It seems that instead of penalizing the rule following photopass holders, they should better instruct the security at the venues on how to handle disruptive people.

6 (edited by Rocket 2014-01-11 13:38:09)

nmagcorn wrote:

It is sad that people who have had photopasses in the past and followed the rules like Sandy, Rhonda, and Rick are going to be penalized. At all 4 shows we saw this fall it wasn't the photopass people who were disruptive, it was other people with no photopass who would saunter down the aisle like they own they place, walk right up to the stage, block peoples' views and proceed to take a bunch of photos using slr as well as point and shoot with and without flash. The security never did anything about them. It seems that instead of penalizing the rule following photopass holders, they should better instruct the security at the venues on how to handle disruptive people.

Think about it.  Unless there was one and only one pass given and a formal introduction to the tour manager and entire security detail (which would involve researching or being contacted about performance schedule much earlier and, if granted, first come, first serve, portfolio necessary, arriving much earlier also), it most likely won't happen.  That'd be my "compromise" (not that I carry any decision-making weight!) suggestion though... hmm

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

nmagcorn wrote:

Totally agree. I've had photo passes for two shows and was going to apply for one for Red bank NJ but never mind. Any "normal" person owning a digital SLR or the like knows a flash isn't going to do much in a stage situation anyway.never mind bother the artist. I'll leave my camera home for this one

Alan

Just a few thoughts from somebody who doesn't really have a dog in this fight.

First came the anything goes policy when Joe was playing clubs and I had a little point and shoot digital and flashed away through Joe Fest. Joe didn't seem to mind and I didn't really care about the audience I was in my own little world at the moment. I have come to realize that It doesn't matter what camera I use the pictures pretty much sucked. As the fans became more plentiful and the semi-pro or even pro photographers started shooting the shows I found it unnecessary to bother. There were very few of those photographers with pro cameras and still those that wanted to shoot  from their seats were free to do so.

I'm not sure what the actual policy was last year but I think it was 3 songs out of your seat and the rest from your seat if you so desired and your seat was close or lens allowed you to get close. I am just going to guess that the policy change had a lot to do with the shear numbers of photo pass requests. Just more to deal with prior to the shows and to administrate for both the office and tour production personnel. If you go from 2 per show to 20 requests then it is just easier to eliminate the hassle by realizing there is another thing that must change now that the popularity of Joe has increased so dramatically.

I know there will still be some good shots taken from the first few rows with the caliber of cameras that are available today and I know there are many disappointed photo hobbyists there are still things to be thankful for. Point and shoots are OK and more than anything video is still allowed. To me that would be the biggest disappointment because as mush as a photo captures some unique shots every now and then most of them look like any given show on any given night but the videos capture the nuances of each set and arrangement as well as the guest appearances that happen now and again.

Please my photographer friends don't flame me too bad.

Oh well, things change and we adapt.
Although I've taken thousands of pics at dozens of shows, I'm not surprised...and more importantly, I'm not offended.
When the set-up at the first Chicago Theater show was extraordinarily in conducive to getting a single good pic, I put my camera away, returned to my seat during the first song, and simply enjoyed the show.
That's just me. I know this will impact some people more than me, which is the unfortunate part.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Bill S wrote:

Oh well, things change and we adapt.
Although I've taken thousands of pics at dozens of shows, I'm not surprised...and more importantly, I'm not offended.
When the set-up at the first Chicago Theater show was extraordinarily in conducive to getting a single good pic, I put my camera away, returned to my seat during the first song, and simply enjoyed the show.
That's just me. I know this will impact some people more than me, which is the unfortunate part.

"We adapt."  I like that, Bill!  I guess this is my cue to enjoy the full show...not just what I see through the lens...   

But if I know me...and sometimes I do!...I'll be shopping around for a new point and shoot...  smile

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...

Well I go to his gig in March. I have a seat in the 1st rank on the right side of the stage. I hope i'll be able to take some good pics with my phone without disturbing my neighbours, and maybe one or 2 good videos. As it will be my 1st time at one of his shows...I hope to bring back some good memories.

I understand those who feel punished for the misbehaviour of some...

Street Team Eric wrote:

Beginning with the spring 2014 Tour, we are making a few changes to our photography policy at Joe’s shows.

Due to a few fans that had a blatant disregard for our previous policy, we unfortunately will no longer be able to allow professional grade SLR cameras with detachable lenses at the show. If found with this style camera at the door, you may be asked to relinquish it until the end of the night or return it to your vehicle. As Joe’s fans we still encourage you to bring your pocket sized point and shoot cameras to take as many pictures as you like, but we ask that you remain in your seat, be considerate to your neighbor and please no flash.

-Street Team Eric

I always thought press/media passes were required for SLRs with detachable lenses and only shoot for the first 3 songs. If I ever got a nice enough camera, I'd try and get one regardless.

Bill S has some good comments in this thread!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
Street Team Eric wrote:

-Street Team Eric

I always thought press/media passes were required for SLRs with detachable lenses and only shoot for the first 3 songs. If I ever got a nice enough camera, I'd try and get one regardless.

Bill S has some good comments in this thread!

I think it depends mostly on the band and its manager. I used to work in music festivals...Some bands are very difficult like guns'n'roses. They accept that the press and people take pics during the 3 first songs that's it. If the security guys see people taking pics from the audience even with phones, they come in the crowd and try to take your phone/camera. Some other bands don't care and the press and people can take pics during all the concert. Some allow the press to take pics during the 3 first songs but the audience can take pics during all the gig. Usually, the security of the concerts has the information just before the concert starts.

I hate this change but I understand it.  I will so miss Rhonda, Sandy and others photos.   I owe Joe an apology for the show at Louisville.  I accidentally turned the flash  on my little point and shoot  and took a couple of shots from my seat with it on.  I know this happens but want him to know I did not mean to be a distraction.  I did not realize he hated the flash so much until reading so many posts about it. 

I am sure the main reason for the change  is that Joe is getting distracted plus with the larger band right now there is only so much room near the stage and all that.  Thank God for smart phones.  I hope they will consider a revision for folks like Rick Phipps, Rhonda and others that are so good you never know they are there.

yes Mary I was guilty of this too! Sorry Joe!

wvgirlinky wrote:

I hate this change but I understand it.  I will so miss Rhonda, Sandy and others photos.   I owe Joe an apology for the show at Louisville.  I accidentally turned the flash  on my little point and shoot  and took a couple of shots from my seat with it on.  I know this happens but want him to know I did not mean to be a distraction.  I did not realize he hated the flash so much until reading so many posts about it. 

I am sure the main reason for the change  is that Joe is getting distracted plus with the larger band right now there is only so much room near the stage and all that.  Thank God for smart phones.  I hope they will consider a revision for folks like Rick Phipps, Rhonda and others that are so good you never know they are there.

I honestly don't understand today's obsession with having to have photos/videos of everything. I just want to concentrate on seeing Joe live rather than through a lens! But maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

I knew that JB management didn't like DSLR's of any type.
That's why when I purchased my camera in June last year, I bought the point'n'shoot with the biggest lens and MP I could get.
I ended up with a Panasonic Z30, 20x optical zoom lens, 18MP plus HD video recording.
Still a point'n'shoot but it can manage a 36x43 inch print no problems.
and it has a full manual mode if you so desire to use it.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

We know that this has been upsetting news to many of you, but as Joe's fans we still encourage you to bring your pocket sized point and shoot cameras to capture your memories. As a photographer myself, I can understand the frustration but we cannot allow fans to be out in the isles and up at the stage especially when the monitors are picking up the shutter noises and people pushing past the barriers to get up on stage. This policy has been changed to protect the safety of the fans and crew and for us to be able to maintain the same level of quality in our shows by providing everyone with an enjoyable, distraction-free environment.