Topic: Joe's red 335

I saw that Joe posted a pic of his red 335 out in the snow.  He mentioned that is was starting to develop some checks.  I am going to guess it is because of the cold outside.

If so, how long does the process actually have to last?..meaning, how long do you put the guitar out in the cold?  Is this really recommended?  Would the process work on a RI58?

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Re: Joe's red 335

LesPaul4 wrote:

I saw that Joe posted a pic of his red 335 out in the snow.  He mentioned that is was starting to develop some checks.  I am going to guess it is because of the cold outside.

If so, how long does the process actually have to last?..meaning, how long do you put the guitar out in the cold?  Is this really recommended?  Would the process work on a RI58?

A hot to cold too soon or vice versa will cause a Guitar especially if it's lacquer to crack ( Most Gibson's are Lacquer )

Over time guitars will age somewhat by themselves.....it's totally up to you if you want to do this to any of yours.

Good luck if you do so

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

3 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2013-12-12 16:27:21)

Whatever you do don't take a hairdryer to do this to a cold guitar. It will make "spiderwebs" cracking in the guitar and look TOTALLY fake.

Even going from cold to warm room (from what I hear) yield very unexpected results. I always wanted to try it. They're JUST guitars, right? lol

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

That guitar is a historic makeover JB 335 done in red. It developed a few odd lacquer checks on the ride to Reno so I took advantage of a below zero day and a dressing room heater to even out the job nature had already started. 

Joe B

5 (edited by pattyluvsjoe 2013-12-12 16:45:21)

I saw that picture and post and wondered what the heck you were talking about Joe lol  now I know.    plj

P.S.  I don't think I'll be sitting "the baby" outside anytime soon  wink

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

I posted in that Facebook thread.

I suggested that Joe NOT use that guitar to shovel the snow off his driveway...

wink

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

I've read somewhere, that if you do that it's important to make sure that the neck does not get exposed to temperature change as much as body. Some suggest to wrap the neck with some warm clothing, etc. to keep it from cold if you take it outside in winter.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

That guitar is a historic makeover JB 335 done in red. It developed a few odd lacquer checks on the ride to Reno so I took advantage of a below zero day and a dressing room heater to even out the job nature had already started. 

Joe B

I'm trying this with my goldie strat last night. It was like 12 degrees last night, and I left it in my cold garage. This morning I put it in the warmest room of my house. Not sure if thats a quick enough transition to get checking, or if the finish on the Mighty Mite body is even a finish that will do such a thing.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

So I take it checking is a GOOD thing?  Is it desirable because the guitar would look more vintage?

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

Thought it was hilarious people giving detailed advice on the matter when you obviously put it outside on purpose and were just messing with them with your question. Subtle humor is lost on most people, especially on the internet.

"Subtle humor is lost on most people, especially on the internet"

You got that right

Women, whiskey and miles of travelin' is all I understand

Well, I just tried putting my Goldie in 12 degree weather overnight, and then put it all day in my 80 degree bathroom. Couldn't get the thing to crack up. Must be the finish not being nitro.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Well, I just tried putting my Goldie in 12 degree weather overnight, and then put it all day in my 80 degree bathroom. Couldn't get the thing to crack up. Must be the finish not being nitro.

exactly! nitro is the key

What's funny is the damn thing stayed in tune! cool