Topic: Street Team Stories: Tell Us About Your First Time Hearing Joe

Hey there Bonamassa Army! This is a concept that I've come up with and I'm hoping that it really takes off! What I'd like you to do here is share all of the special stories that you might have that revolve around Joe. When you met him, how his music has affected you, how you've gotten others into his music, etc...

I want to use these stories in a few special projects that pay respect to you die-hard fans and will be announced shortly...

Looking forward to reading

Street Team Eric

Re: Street Team Stories: Tell Us About Your First Time Hearing Joe

I first heard joe about 3 years ago, I got hooked on his song Sloe Gin from the RAH cd. It wasn't until about a year ago when I really started getting into his music and appreciating it more. I saw him at the Chicago Theater with my dad and I think that is what started my addiction! Seeing him live is just the best!

https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic.php?id=4519

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

First time I saw Joe was September 19, 2004.  My son insisted on coming to the New Hampshire NASCAR race with us because Joe was playing after the race and he was already a big fan (he had driven over 100 miles to a very sketchy area in Hartford, CT recently and I thought he was crazy).

Well, the race is over, and here comes a flatbed truck with a band on it.  Said guitar person had a very spiffy looking guitar and a pirate for a bass player.  Before the first song was over I was hooked.  Thank goodness Joe couldn't hear how he sounded over the raceway PA system or he probably would have stopped playing (he sounded fine when you were in front of his amps).  Only four songs total - and three guitars - Goldie, a Gigliotti and the black Chandler.  My life has never been the same since, and in a very good way.  Pictures here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 436771559/

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Many years ago....I think it was 2000.
Indigenous was the main act at a small club in Pittsburgh ( Rosebud )
Joe was promoting his CD...I remember saying who's the new kid ?

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

6 (edited by DougH 2013-10-01 11:53:40)

it was in late 2006 I had enough of my study for work certifications and took up guitar as a hobby (those cert tests have reared their ugly head again sad )
I was watching a DVD that came out in early 2007 (i think) called Solid Bodies the 50 year guitar war.
And there was Joe talking,
Of course I started looking up what all the guitarists on that DVD were doing but didn't really act on anything; I was still tied up with musical stage productions with my daughter (I later became a stage manager) and still dealing with my 24hr a day service calls.
When I found out that Joe was playing my home town of Brampton, ON I was devastated, it was the week before we went into theatre and couldn't possibly have a night off from rehearsal and load-in.
Wasn't till spring of 2011 that a local large chain music store was having a draw for a Meet'n'Greet and I zipped up on the last day of the contest to enter the contest.
To my amazement I received a phone call that I had won tickets to Joe here in Toronto and to the meet'n'greet.
The meet'n'greet was great, small number of people (20) and I brought the guitar I purchased to myself as the last stage management job I did.

He signed the back of the headstock of my 2001 Gibson Les Paul in Desert Burst and I had him sign a truss rod cover as well.
To this day I call the guitar Joe (esp now since it has SD-JB pickup set 238 in it.)

Joe's music has now taken over every song I listen to on my mp3, dvd, cd's

I have taken in shows in London, Ontario and Buffalo NY as well.
I as everyone else is waiting to see what 2014 will bring.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Doheny Blues fest, Summer of '09 and this band takes the stage at lunchtime for a 50 minute set. One minute in and I and the wife are jaws on the ground and Who Is This Guy!!!??? It's been quite a ride since then. 30 shows all over the world and we can't get enough.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Great Topic Eric.   My husband found Joe way before I did2010 and 2011   For about a year he did not stop talking about Joe.  So for Christmas that year I bought him the CD's,  Live from Nowhere in Particular and Live from Royal albert Hall.   I listened to each and thought pretty good.  The spring of 2012  they announced Joe was going to be in Evansville  In so I got tickets for my hubby as an early Fathers day present and the rest is as they say history.  The concert was extraordinary and not a day goes by that I do not thank God for the wonder of Joe and his music.

My friends and I are huge guitar/blues fans and every year we go to the "Waterfront Blues Festival" in Portland...We had planned to see Joe there, but were unable to make the show....I was a little irked that we missed the show and I was becoming ever more curious so I went online and starting watching JBTV on his website...this was sometime between You and Me and Sloe Gin releases and after about 15 minutes of viewing, I was just blown away...I told my friend Kent that we had to see this guy before he left the area...Lucky for us...he was schdeuled to come back around in 4 months to the small town of "Grants Pass" and we were finally able to see him. It was shocking when we got there early afternoon to get good seats(long before reserved seating for Joe)and noticed a few people already in line. These "In the know" folks were more than happy to ask us immedatiley if we had ever seen Joe live before....No..we replied... we're virgins. The crowd of people then gleefully told us that the reason they were there so early was because they were NOT new to Joe and knew what was coming..They just smiled that "I've seen this dude" smile that I now fully understand. I remember looking around the audience about two songs in to see if I was the only one with my mouth wide open in awe..I was not. It was incredible....I literally almost started crying as he played his final song..."Asking around for you"...I will never forget this moment...Kent and I have been to 9 shows since and have promoted every one in Oregon..We have seen him in Portland, Eugene, Grants Pass, Bend, Medford, and Yakima...and this year were going to Boise

Murfdog

Cool stories!

This morning I got up early to go get my mothers car.  It's a nice day today, should go up to 9deg.!!  I want to wash it for her and put her snow tires on.  As soon as I start it up I hear Joe!  Mum is 73 and a Joe fan.  Starting to get into Beth now too.

Wednesday night I hop into my best friends car, we, along with my daughter, 16, and my niece, 28, are heading to a ZZTop concert.  Joe is in the CD player and we all want it turned up!

I have heard Joe's name mentioned many times, guitar forums, former co-worker talked about him.  I've known who he was for years.  My all time favorite band is Led Zeppelin.  I watch lots of YouTube videos to help me learn to play guitar, lots of LZ videos and tutorials.  Not too many covers impress me, but this one guy blew me away.  Tea For One, but you probably guessed that already!  I was most of the way through the video before I even realised who was playing.
That was just a year ago.  Since then it has been a Joe situation on a daily basis.  The Beacon this past May, a signature Les Paul, Tour de Force Box set with tickets and so many other CD's, DVD's etc.  You know how the story goes.

I am now planning my next vacation, around Joe's schedule of course!

Steve

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio...among others.
Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015

Yes....exactly!

MINI_Zoso wrote:

Cool stories!

This morning I got up early to go get my mothers car.  It's a nice day today, should go up to 9deg.!!  I want to wash it for her and put her snow tires on.  As soon as I start it up I hear Joe!  Mum is 73 and a Joe fan.  Starting to get into Beth now too.

Wednesday night I hop into my best friends car, we, along with my daughter, 16, and my niece, 28, are heading to a ZZTop concert.  Joe is in the CD player and we all want it turned up!

I have heard Joe's name mentioned many times, guitar forums, former co-worker talked about him.  I've known who he was for years.  My all time favorite band is Led Zeppelin.  I watch lots of YouTube videos to help me learn to play guitar, lots of LZ videos and tutorials.  Not too many covers impress me, but this one guy blew me away.  Tea For One, but you probably guessed that already!  I was most of the way through the video before I even realised who was playing.
That was just a year ago.  Since then it has been a Joe situation on a daily basis.  The Beacon this past May, a signature Les Paul, Tour de Force Box set with tickets and so many other CD's, DVD's etc.  You know how the story goes.

I am now planning my next vacation, around Joe's schedule of course!

Murfdog

I was just of of the hospital after having seizures for the first time. They suspend your driver's license for 3 months and I had to walk or take the bus everywhere. My body ached like I'd been beaten with a baseball bat (seizures cause you to tear your muscles) and my brain was ringing like a bell. I could barely focus enough to read. I am 62 and I never felt so lost and alone in all my life.

Sometime early in this period I heard Joe and Beth Hart do I Will Take Care of You and it was like a tonic to my spirit. I love guitar but have not listened to much new since Hendrix, Allman and John Campbell (my cousin) passed. Joe Bonamassa is the first new guitarist I have liked in over 30 years - and I only heard in back in April 2013! Now, I own almost everything he has produced.

Today, 9 months after the seizures, I am fine brainwise. The meds cause lots of side effects, but I am physically stronger and have better coordination than I have had in years. I honestly believe Joe and Beth's music has helped me pick myself up off the ground and get back into the flow of life - even better than I was before the seizures in April 2013. Yeah, I am believer in music as therapy! LOL!

Happy New Year and thanks to every one of you who works with Joe and Beth

For me it goes way backkkkkkkkkk! In 2002, I was 14 and at the B.B. King Blues Festival. Joe was not playing the particular show I was at, but they played So It's Like That album during intermission. I looked up Joe online when I got home from that concert and I've been hooked since. I first saw Joe back on September 27, 2003. He opened for Peter Frampton. Joe played a 45 minute set, that I will never forget. Here we are almost 12 years later!

Bill

The first time I saw Joe was in 2003 opening for Frampton at the Ryman in Nashville. About half way through his second song, my friend and I looked at each other in amazement. Been a fan ever since. Been to every show in Nashville since.

Long time JB fan, first time poster. I first heard Joe in the late 90's or early 2000's when he used to play 3rd and Lindsley often, I think it cost like 5$ to see him and I have been a fan ever since. I have seen him live many times over, even saw him around Nashville a few times. It's great to see him finally get his due!