Re: Hobbies... Other than obsessing over everything related to Joe :)

I missed Joe when he played the Crystal Bay Club in '06.  I was only introduce to his music the last part of March 2012.

When I heard about missing him play the North Shore, it led me to write to Street Team Andy to suggest that Joe might consider to play the Frank Sinatra Celebrity Showroom at the Cal-Neva.   How about a week-end with Joe and After Party in the Indian Room?

I have a commitment from the Cal-Neva General Manager who is also a friend, that the red carpet would be rolled out.  A long shot, but if you don't ask.    Just last week the Cal-Neva was sold and the current management can only continue until Sept 30th.

So the timing alone might jinx that idea.  If any one has a wish to spend some time at the Cal-Neva for any reason you better make plans to come this summer.

After that all bets are off if it will be open at all.   I really hope the developers retain all the historic parts and keep them open to the public, but there has been no real word about that.

Joe's music has been the reason I have come thru such a very challenging year in such a good place.   "Slow Train"  from the Beacon Theatre is my every morning song.   Not so much the lyrics as the music that puts one foot in front of the other thru any kind of "shotgun" challenge day.   That's a day you get hit with a spray of equally intense challenges, at the same time.

I was so happy to see Joe for the first time in Sacramento and even more so that a long planned trip to see my daughter in NYC allows me to see Joe at the Beacon on May 17th!   I will be Street Teaming while I am there up to concert time.

I hope our Street Team in Tahoe will be effective enough this summer to make the December 7th show in Reno, NV  an early sellout.

My horses that I use in our 4-H club are part of the Street Team too.  The club is celebrating our 25th Anniversary year of giving the local kids a cost free mountain horsemanship program.   We run a small stable on donations and volunteers on the site of an old Pack Station, the last horse property in our area.

1988 is also the year I got my "Big Scissors " from Tahoe Boat Co working as an upholstery apprentice.   I met Tony Brown when he took shop space there for his restoration business "Western Runabouts".  All thru the 1990's  my associate and on working for Tony on contract upholstered many Best of Show, Best Garwood and Best Chris-Craft, winners at the Con Course d' Elegance.

If Joe comes to the Lake at any time, for ANY reason, I have some killer boats lined up for him to ride, including Tony Brown's baby  "Blind Faith" that he sold a while back.

There are no Blues quite like the "Tahoe Blues" both Sky and Water.

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

You are making me homesick! I was there in 85 or 86 or 87, can't remember! Dick Clark hired me after I took Best of Show in Seattle. I just loved working there!!! If you see Tony, PLEASE tell him I said hello, he's a great guy! I'm sure he will remember when Cal-Neva opened up. Chrystal Bay was a lot of fun, all the SB Co. crew would cash their pay checks there and get a spin on the "Big Wheel" but I don't remember any music there. Across the street at the Builtmore was where the music was. Can you imagine Cal-Neva with just the SBC crew there, allmost no one else!!!
Tahoe Jo, THANK YOU for bringing me back some great memories!!!!!!!!~!~

skamokawa wrote:

You are making me homesick! I was there in 85 or 86 or 87, can't remember! Dick Clark hired me after I took Best of Show in Seattle. I just loved working there!!! If you see Tony, PLEASE tell him I said hello, he's a great guy! I'm sure he will remember when Cal-Neva opened up. Chrystal Bay was a lot of fun, all the SB Co. crew would cash their pay checks there and get a spin on the "Big Wheel" but I don't remember any music there. Across the street at the Builtmore was where the music was. Can you imagine Cal-Neva with just the SBC crew there, allmost no one else!!!
Tahoe Jo, THANK YOU for bringing me back some great memories!!!!!!!!~!~

Happy to take you down memory lane.    The faces have all changed at SBC, except may-be Carl in Parts Dept was there when you worked there and is still there.  The Con Course d' Elegance has been held at the SBC since around '95 and still is .  It starts August 9th this year and would be the best place to get news of Tony, I have been out of touch with him for a while now.

May-be you are over due for a visit.

Crystal Bay Club has been the go to place for most of the music, but I was able to see " Little Feat" at the Biltmore a while back, may-be 2004?

I still would love to see Joe play the Frank Sinatra Celebrity Showroom.

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

Your talk of classic runabouts took me back. We had a '49 Century in my teens as a ski boat. My job each Winter was to strip and re-varnish that mahogany beauty. Sitka spruce liner too. Not in the class of those Gar-Woods, but a classic nonetheless.
It would be fantastic to have a gig for Joe up in the pines of the High Sierra on the lake.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:

Your talk of classic runabouts took me back. We had a '49 Century in my teens as a ski boat. My job each Winter was to strip and re-varnish that mahogany beauty. Sitka spruce liner too. Not in the class of those Gar-Woods, but a classic nonetheless.
It would be fantastic to have a gig for Joe up in the pines of the High Sierra on the lake.
Rick

Hay Rick,  You would be surprised,  Leonard Nimoy had a Century called "West End".  He switched from vinyl to leather interior.

I was able to replicate the Century emblems on the backs of the bucket seat and engine box, using the technique I developed for putting the Thunderbird emblems in the "Thunderbird" ( A Hacker Craft, 55 feet long, 2 Allison 1,000 horsepower engines) when my associate and I reupholstered it in '92.

I also make pillows stuffed with kapok, with an art face using the same technique.  It was my hobby of working on Native American styled artifacts that led me to develop it.

I currently have  a "Two of a Kind" project in the works, entitled "Joe B Saves The World!"   I expect to have it done by Dec 7th for the Reno concert.    Most of the time I will make a two of a kind, give the best one to someone and keep one for myself.

When I first started this, I made one of a kind and gave away.  Now I do two, so I can keep one and have a collection of my work.

I am walking down to PO Box and I will let you know when your player for the saddle bags arrive.

Joe should come to the Lake, even if only to be inspired to write, and to relax.   We will take good care of him either way.

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

RickB wrote:

Rick

Well Rick you would understand as well as any here what Joe requires as far as venue size for a show to cover the overhead. There's only 1 venue up there that would come close, the makeshift, summer only outdoor venue @ Harvey's @ South Shore. The Montbleu (formerly Caesars) across the street has an outdoor venue now, but caters to the younger hip-hop type crowds. Joe has played the Showroom @ The Nugget in Sparks in the past, but has moved up to the Reno Events Center (an acoustic nightmare). I guess you could say that ship has sailed as far as a gig in Tahoe goes, but never say never. After hearing what people were willing to shell out for the Vegas gig then maybe a showroom gig @ Montbleu, Harrah's, or Harveys could possibly work plus all 3 have hotels. Cal Neva has been on shaky ground for quite awhile, maybe new ownership can salvage it.

Keep Tahoe Blue!!!

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

ohiodawg13 wrote:
RickB wrote:

Rick

Well Rick you would understand as well as any here what Joe requires as far as venue size for a show to cover the overhead. There's only 1 venue up there that would come close, the makeshift, summer only outdoor venue @ Harvey's @ South Shore. The Montbleu (formerly Caesars) across the street has an outdoor venue now, but caters to the younger hip-hop type crowds. Joe has played the Showroom @ The Nugget in Sparks in the past, but has moved up to the Reno Events Center (an acoustic nightmare). I guess you could say that ship has sailed as far as a gig in Tahoe goes, but never say never. After hearing what people were willing to shell out for the Vegas gig then maybe a showroom gig @ Montbleu, Harrah's, or Harveys could possibly work plus all 3 have hotels. Cal Neva has been on shaky ground for quite awhile, maybe new ownership can salvage it.

Keep Tahoe Blue!!!

I have heard a lot of people say that about the Reno Events Center.     When I wrote in a while back to suggest a Reno show, my suggestion was for the Pioneer Theatre.    That place is amazing.  I saw both Little Feat and Bonnie Raitt there.
Is that too small a venue ?   

Still thrilled Joe is coming to Reno.  You are right "Never Say Never"

Tahoe Jo

J Dawg

Tahoe Jo

tahoerimriders wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:
RickB wrote:

Rick

Keep Tahoe Blue!!!

I have heard a lot of people say that about the Reno Events Center.     When I wrote in a while back to suggest a Reno show, my suggestion was for the Pioneer Theatre.    That place is amazing.  I saw both Little Feat and Bonnie Raitt there.

Tahoe Jo

J Dawg

Sorry I messed up the post.  Just when I was thinking I was getting the hang of things.  Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

tahoerimriders wrote:
RickB wrote:

Rick

Hay Rick,  You would be surprised,  Leonard Nimoy had a Century called "West End".  He switched from vinyl to leather interior.

I was able to replicate the Century emblems on the backs of the bucket seat and engine box, using the technique I developed for putting the Thunderbird emblems in the "Thunderbird" ( A Hacker Craft, 55 feet long, 2 Allison 1,000 horsepower engines) when my associate and I reupholstered it in '92.

I also make pillows stuffed with kapok, with an art face using the same technique.  It was my hobby of working on Native American styled artifacts that led me to develop it.

I currently have  a "Two of a Kind" project in the works, entitled "Joe B Saves The World!"   I expect to have it done by Dec 7th for the Reno concert.    Most of the time I will make a two of a kind, give the best one to someone and keep one for myself.

When I first started this, I made one of a kind and gave away.  Now I do two, so I can keep one and have a collection of my work.

I am walking down to PO Box and I will let you know when your player for the saddle bags arrive.

Joe should come to the Lake, even if only to be inspired to write, and to relax.   We will take good care of him either way.

Tahoe Jo

Just got back from the Post Office, THANK YOU!   I am going to take it with me to NYC and have my daughter explain how it works and load it up with Joe.   Once I understand how it works then I can figure out the best way to make the pockets in the saddle bags.  May-be sew in some closed cell foam to give it protection.

I mean 1,200 songs in such a tiny thing, what will they think of next!

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

tahoerimriders wrote:
tahoerimriders wrote:
RickB wrote:

Rick

Tahoe Jo

Just got back from the Post Office, THANK YOU!   I am going to take it with me to NYC and have my daughter explain how it works and load it up with Joe.   Once I understand how it works then I can figure out the best way to make the pockets in the saddle bags.  May-be sew in some closed cell foam to give it protection.

Tahoe Jo

The only protection it will need is where the jack plugs in for the output to the speakers and I'd say add a little peice of wood to stiffen the holder so it doesn't get bent. 1200 songs, wow, better tell Joe to start cranking them out. smile

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

65 (edited by ohiodawg13 2013-05-07 23:08:29)

tahoerimriders wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:
RickB wrote:

Rick

Keep Tahoe Blue!!!

Tahoe Jo

J Dawg

I saw the Reno show last year on 4/20 @ The Event Center which Joe used only half of that night. It's a concrete cave designed for minor League Basketball and also hockey I think. I moved around during the show, but even standing next to the board was futile. Most venues Joe books these days are about 2,000 capacity or better from my recent experiences. as funky as the Crystal Bay venue is, it's a dining/bar area by day, it was still one of the more kick-a$$ shows I've seen up the hill. Labor Day @ the Nugget Ribfest '08 was a close second especially after the bus died on the way up I-80 in Colfax. I guess you might say my hobby is straying off topic on forum boards, LOL!!! There ya go!

Keep Tahoe Blue!!!

J Dawg

Didn't get the setlist from Crystal Bay, but it probably went like this one from Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz 3 months later.
                      Takin' The Hit
                      Walk In My Shadows
                      So Many Roads
                      Mountain Time
                      Bridge to Better Days
                      New Day Yesterday
                      Woke Up Dreamin'
                      Django
                      Had To Cry Today
                      Askin' Around For You
                      Just Got Paid

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

RickB wrote:
tahoerimriders wrote:
tahoerimriders wrote:

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

The only protection it will need is where the jack plugs in for the output to the speakers and I'd say add a little peice of wood to stiffen the holder so it doesn't get bent. 1200 songs, wow, better tell Joe to start cranking them out. smile

Thank you,  I will look for speakers when I am with my daughter to find the best and loudest set up it can handle.   One of her roommates is a band member for the band "The Hollows", so I am sure they will be able to have me all set to execute the bags when I get back.

What a great way to bring home the horses for our 25th Anniversary Year!  I will find out how to send you some pictures of them when they are all done, may-be someone in the 4-H club knows how to post on You-Tube a video of the pony Street Teaming.
Kids today know every thing electronic, that just boggles my mind!

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

ohiodawg13 wrote:
tahoerimriders wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:

Keep Tahoe Blue!!!

Tahoe Jo

J Dawg

I saw the Reno show last year on 4/20 @ The Event Center which Joe used only half of that night. It's a concrete cave designed for minor League Basketball and also hockey I think. I moved around during the show, but even standing next to the board was futile. Most venues Joe books these days are about 2,000 capacity or better from my recent experiences. as funky as the Crystal Bay venue is, it's a dining/bar area by day, it was still one of the more kick-a$$ shows I've seen up the hill. Labor Day @ the Nugget Ribfest '08 was a close second especially after the bus died on the way up I-80 in Colfax. I guess you might say my hobby is straying off topic on forum boards, LOL!!! There ya go!

Keep Tahoe Blue!!!

J Dawg

Didn't get the setlist from Crystal Bay, but it probably went like this one from Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz 3 months later.
                      Takin' The Hit
                      Walk In My Shadows
                      So Many Roads
                      Mountain Time
                      Bridge to Better Days
                      New Day Yesterday
                      Woke Up Dreamin'
                      Django
                      Had To Cry Today
                      Askin' Around For You
                      Just Got Paid

Wow, you mean I missed Joe in Reno last year too?   I guess at that point I had only been listening to his music about 3 weeks, but still!

Thank you for the set list and all the info.  RickB  sent a mp3 player for the Joe in the saddle bags project, so may-be the Crystal Bay set list will be the way to kick it off.

Thanks and we are Keeping Tahoe Blue, in every sense of the word.

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

WELLL WALKING,READING,WRITTING,GARDENING. MUSIC. SI-FI/FANTASY TV&MOVIES, MOTOGP,
HAMMMER HOUSE OF HORRORS M0VIES, THE MUNSTERS/ADDAMS FAMILY.

its only realities rat race sucks...switch on MUSIC...
nerds, geeks, freaks and vinyl junkies...are the truthful ones!

Work aint no hobby but it sure keeps me from having one!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I have a couple of Blogs on TUMBLR - one is, SFW, the other one is, NSFW! Totally engrossing.

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

When I'm not working or updating my radio station...

...make my own greeting cards
...craft projects of some kind
...watching movies
...reading books/magazine
...work on my website or blog

and...write! I usually write a story a year (as part of NaNoWriMo.org) and have published two books.  I'm working on a new story right now. Music is always playing around me so I don't know if that can be considered a hobby. I do have a large music collection.

Music is always playing when I write.  It help sets the mood.  I had slight writers block recently but listening to Driving Towards the Daylight (Acoustic) got me going again from the Vienna CD.  I let the CD play and two chapters came rolling out.  So glad I have a jukebox so the music is contiuous.

https://live365.com/station/a72706

5/16/14 Hampton Beach, NH (First Joe show!)
1/15/16 Burlington, VT

Where do I begin? I'm way too busy.

earning a PhD
being a stormtrooper for charities  http://www.greatlakesgarrison.com/
in four bands (punk, rock, FooFighters tribute & solo acoustic)
collecting vinyl records
playing football
graphic design side projects
winding guitar pickups
teaching online for a local community college
riding my harley
deer hunting
bass & pike fishing
going to other concerts

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool