Re: King King - feat. Alan & Stevie Nimmo

Going to see them next week.

This is the other thread that Mike couldn't find

https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic.php?id=19028

Jealousy video :

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/vide … 32_lnk1000

Daw them last week at the Beaverwood Club in Sidcup. Second time I've seen them down there and they were once again on top form.

As before, their live performance was a lot heavier than their studio albums - and that was no bad thing. As Banshee posted, they got people on their feet which is a rare occurence here too. Mind you Alan Nimmo always manages that with the Nimmo Brothers too.

I think we had another new fella on keys - some chap from Rotterdam (I think) - he could certainly play.

If King King are anywhere near you, you have gotta see them play.

Support was from the Stuart James Band who I've seen a couple of times and are pretty good too. A similar sound to some of Henrik Frieschlader's stuff to my ears.

Nik Huber Orca, Gibson Custom Shop Siberian Tiger Les Paul Standard, Haydn Williams Evo Pro, MusicMan JP15, Gibson Les Paul Bonamassa Studio, Fender Strat. Marshall 1987x, Bad Cat Black Cat, Mesa Boogie Mark V, Cornell Romany

22 (edited by Kenny 2013-04-25 08:56:16)

Yeah, and a blistering set in Kinross last night. Amazing versions of Jealousy and Old Love. The keyboard player is called Rob and yes he is from Rotterdam. Just loved his sounds from the Hammond.

Roll on 14 June in Glasgow.

Big.G wrote:

Daw them last week at the Beaverwood Club in Sidcup. Second time I've seen them down there and they were once again on top form.

As before, their live performance was a lot heavier than their studio albums - and that was no bad thing. As Banshee posted, they got people on their feet which is a rare occurence here too. Mind you Alan Nimmo always manages that with the Nimmo Brothers too.

I think we had another new fella on keys - some chap from Rotterdam (I think) - he could certainly play.

If King King are anywhere near you, you have gotta see them play.

Support was from the Stuart James Band who I've seen a couple of times and are pretty good too. A similar sound to some of Henrik Frieschlader's stuff to my ears.

The less said about the support in Kinross the better!! King King were brilliant, great to see great talent in such an intimate venue. However like so many other bands I'd love to see them get the success they deserve and move onto bigger venues.

A good feature in Classic rock Blues mag and  a free song Really enjoyed it!!

4 dates supporting Joanne Shaw Taylor :

28 Nov - SBE, London
29 Nov - Town Hall, Birmingham
30 Nov - Picturedome, Holmfirth
1 Dec - Sage, Gateshead

Kenny wrote:

28 Nov - SBE, London
1 Dec - Sage, Gateshead

That's a bit of an eye raiser. You'd think they'd be better marketing it as a double header. Will be a great show, but I hope King King get decent playing time. Atleast they'll be able to get their, in my view, superior version of Jealous aired first.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

I doubt very much an opening act would be dumb enough to not check the main acts setlist first Duncan. It is a good break for King King, having access to those venues. They deserve it. Opening slots are usually 30 mins.

Greenose wrote:
Kenny wrote:

28 Nov - SBE, London
1 Dec - Sage, Gateshead

That's a bit of an eye raiser. You'd think they'd be better marketing it as a double header. Will be a great show, but I hope King King get decent playing time. Atleast they'll be able to get their, in my view, superior version of Jealous aired first.

Can't say for SBE or B/ham, but Holmfirth and Sage put them in the 500 seaters and the Sage has a bit more atmosphere than similar sized Stockton ARC.

As for Jealousy; I see 3 options:-

1 - neither band play it.
2 - arrange it as a duet (could be interesting.....)
3 - someone phone Frankie Miller and ask him to decide.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

We'll see. I'd be surprised if King King only get 30 minutes. While I agree they are great venues, they are also a step up for Joanne, who didn't always get good numbers in the smaller venues last time around (Poole for example). The tour needed a good support act who would bring numbers, so they will be great nights and well worth catching!

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)

Duncan you crack me up, you really do. Bless.

31 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-05-15 05:53:42)

Suppose it'll depend if Joanne is going to split her set, or play through, but I'd expect/hope King King get 45mins at least.

Last time round, Joanne managed to sell out Stockton ARC; theatre seating, approx. 300, didn't think the support, Tristan MacKay was bad, just not "right". Mind, despite recently being hit by Joanne, Matt Schofield, Aynsley Lister, VATA and Ian Siegal, it is lacking a bit atmosphere, but getting there, more bands are looking to it.  Also, Joanne pulled in good numbers at Holmfirth when I caught her there with Philip Sayce (Maryport warm-up) the year previous. 

King King aren't strangers to a crowd, they played to 500 or so at the Dunelm, Durham (Blues fest) last year, trouncing Martin Turner's audience, and filled Darlington Market Place (open air) a couple of years ago.

End of the day, I'm just looking forward to a bloody good gig - despite the Sage's exorbitant car parking charges.

Kenny wrote:

Yeah, and a blistering set in Kinross last night. Amazing versions of Jealousy and Old Love. The keyboard player is called Rob and yes he is from Rotterdam. Just loved his sounds from the Hammond.

Roll on 14 June in Glasgow.

Just noticed this....

They guy you're referring to is Bob Fridzema; usually backs Dana Fuchs in Europe; was over here in January backing Eric Steckel.

Does anyone have any idea if this tour will be extended beyond England? Can't really call it a UK tour otherwise... I'd love to see King King, but can't go to Oran Mor as I have to work. Last time Joanne played Glasgow it was superb!

claptonisgod wrote:

Does anyone have any idea if this tour will be extended beyond England? Can't really call it a UK tour otherwise... I'd love to see King King, but can't go to Oran Mor as I have to work. Last time Joanne played Glasgow it was superb!

They've had posters and flyers made up so it seems unlikely.............but you never know.

Kenny wrote:
claptonisgod wrote:

They've had posters and flyers made up so it seems unlikely.............but you never know.

I doubt it, but King King also play the Voodoo Rooms Edinburgh on 13 June, Lewis Hamilton in support.

Also there's an acoustic set on Sat 25 May by Stevie and Alan Nimmo at Oran Mor.

Live session on Paul Jones' show last night :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02lxgvs