Topic: slide question

Does Joe play in an open tuning on songs like Burning Hell, The River, ect?

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Re: slide question

Joe uses open E tuning both on The River and Burnin' Hell. He describes it in some detail on his latest instructional DVD, but from the bottom (of the neck) up it's E B G# B E B, so you're tuning the A up to B, the D up to E, and the G to G#. BTW, the DVD has some good tips about muting and dampening strings to get a cleaner sound.

Slide on!
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

Thank you very much!

yeah, songs like the live versions of cradle rock and the opening Jam he's playing in regular 4/40 tuning, im getting a hang of the song but its terribly hard to get my slide playing to sound like his

why try to sound like yourself?

6 (edited by Big Rob 2006-05-21 21:40:50)

cause joe's slide work sounds better...

ive figured out alot of his songs and licks and rhythms, and ive about replicated his pedalboard (ill post some pics soon) but when it comes to his slide, its a different ball game trying to nail what he does (and im not the best slide player to begin with i need more work) some of its not that hard but, the stuff he gets into like on Cradle Rock the live version is very difficult..and those Chandler lectra slides are bad@ss..be quite a while before i could afford one...also Travelin South, i dont even want to try that songlol, jeeze he's amazing

I just wanted to know what tunings so I could play the song. Concerning playing the guitar, I've never learned a solo the way it's played on the record ever. I just find out what key it's in and go. I just want to know the tunings so I can get the riffs right.

Walkin' Blues from Blues Deluxe is done in open G. DGDGBD

What's up Deezer?

Nice to read your posts again!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Any idea what guage strings are used on the Chandler?