Re: Hobbies... Other than obsessing over everything related to Joe :)

tahoerimriders wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

that is awesome nmagcorn. i love the fact it was from a tree from your place makes it even more special

Not sure if it's a hobby, but I make Native American inspired "artifacts" with modern, available materials.  I am not Native American, but proceed on the premise that they made things of usefulness and beauty from the materials available to them.  I would in no way want to try and "copy" a true Native American artifact.

So I have made many medicine shields for family and friends that reflect my surroundings with materials that come from significant aspects of my life.  My personal shield is made from '66 Chevy auto body cloth that depicts a scene of the moonlit waters of Lake Tahoe.  It has a traditional Thunderbird icon in the full moon, but celebrates my life here at the Lake and the many wooden boats I have upholstered, including one called the Thunderbird. Entitled "Not All Thunderbirds Fly"

I have made many artifacts to celebrate the life and gifts of Black Elk, a Oglala Holy Man of the Lakota, who's book "Black Elk Speaks" both saved and changed my life many years ago.  These include a breast plate made of pipes that are dyed rolled paper.

A tee pee made of boat cover material and trimmed in leather scraps from a boat named "Stardust"  I also made a Lakota styled dress with scalp lock trims from horses that were close to my heart, mane and tail hair.

I have had the privilege of displaying them at  a few Pow-Wows here at Lake Tahoe, and they were well received, because I wasn't trying to copy, but to express gratitude for the traditions, reflecting my own experiences.

Beside that, I have an life long devotion to horses which I have been sharing with kids thru a 4-H program I began 25 years ago.

The local kids get a cost free, hands on, comprehensive mountain horsemanship education on the last horse property in our area.

Many of the kids go on to work and earn their college money and some even go further than that working with horses.

Right now I am working on saddle bags and pack bags.  I would like to see if I can find the right equipment to upholster speakers into the saddle bags and then be able to take Joe on the trail.  I would bet that some sort of I pad/phone powered speaker system would fit the requirements, but sadly I am not very well versed in any of the new technology.   Always ready to learn something new if I need to.   Any suggestions of what might work, greatly appreciated!

Tahoe Jo

Hi Tahoe Jo, if you've upholstered wood boats do you work @ Sierra Boatworks by any chance? Are you on the North Shore or South?

Think Gar Woods,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

When I had my son, now four, I had to prioritize.  The only hobby I make time for is music & playing guitar and running.  Everything else was expendable.  My wife and I used to run marathons, hopefully we'll get back into it some day.  We're maxxed out at about 7 miles right now.  Every so often I'll play some 80s video games (Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, Nintendo).  I like old video games, they're very pure and you can have a complete, fun experience in a few minutes.  There's also a high nostalgia factor.  I also try to read a lot - don't have tons of time, but I'll get through a half dozen books a year - sci-fi, fantasy, history, non-fiction... pretty eclectic.  For pure fun and escape, nothing beats a good high fantasy novel for me (Dragonlance, etc).

tahoerimriders wrote:

Not sure if it's a hobby, but I make Native American inspired "artifacts" with modern, available materials.  I am not Native American, but proceed on the premise that they made things of usefulness and beauty from the materials available to them.  I would in no way want to try and "copy" a true Native American artifact.
Tahoe Jo

That sounds really interesting. Do you have any photographs of what you have made?

Natasha

Love the woodwork nmagcorn and have always wanted to do it but never quite got around to it. The closest thing I have done to it is I carved decorative duck decoys and songbirds for quite a few years. In fact I notice you are from Maryland and the world championships are held in Ocean City and there is a great museum in Salisbury. I entered there in the lowest divisions for a number of years and was lucky enough to win a couple of ribbons. Some of the carvings are absolutely amazing and well worth it if you are in the area.

Have spent alot of time doing genealogical work on my family tree and for quite a few friends. Have found out that alot of history as it is written is not as it seems and was alot more complicated and am constantly amazed at the hardships our families had to endure just so we could have all the pleasures we have today.

My main hobby or addiction (since we are not counting Joe, music or musical instruments) has been archaeology. Have been doing it for over 25 years and it has mostly been on Native American sites. Was lucky enough that a site I was working on with a friend and his family became quite important because it turned out to be one of the oldest sites in the Americas. We made an agreement with the state of Va. that we would do all of the work and the state would supply the money for any tests to be done like radiocarbon dating, etc. We had worked on the site a total of about 10 years all told and the site dated from 16,500 years old to the early 1700's. It was eventually funded by the National Geographic and that's when all the big names got involved and we were never heard of even though we continued to do the majority of the work but it was fun working with some of the big name archaeologists from the Smithsonian and major universities. It has been fun seeing articles in National Geographic and mentioned on shows on the History or Discovery Channel. The stories I could tell that never made it in print or on the television shows that mentioned the site. Have another site I have been working on for the last 12 years and am in the process of writing the book for the site report and mainly deals with the time frame of 10,500 years old to 7,500 years old. It's not quite like Indiana Jones makes it look as it is alot of hard work but for anyone that loves history it is very rewarding.

Lastly I have a 5 year old grandaughter and she's the joy of my life and have to mention it here that I just got her a guitar and am teaching her to play and she loves Joe B.

Tim, the archaeology you do sounds really fascinating. I imagine it is an incredible amount of work, but there must be such a thrill when you unearth something that's been hidden for so long.

Natasha

Archaeology is alot of fun....... and alot of work. The soil around here is pretty sandy so I'm like a "big kid" playing in a sand box. Most people don't know how much history there is right beneath their feet.

Once again I am very impressed with your woodworking and might have to "borrow" your plans ipad stand for my wife and daughter.

tahoerimriders wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

that is awesome nmagcorn. i love the fact it was from a tree from your place makes it even more special

So I have made many medicine shields for family and friends that reflect my surroundings with materials that come from significant aspects of my life.  My personal shield is made from '66 Chevy auto body cloth that depicts a scene of the moonlit waters of Lake Tahoe.  It has a traditional Thunderbird icon in the full moon, but celebrates my life here at the Lake and the many wooden boats I have upholstered, including one called the Thunderbird. Entitled "Not All Thunderbirds Fly"

I have made many artifacts to celebrate the life and gifts of Black Elk, a Oglala Holy Man of the Lakota, who's book "Black Elk Speaks" both saved and changed my life many years ago.  These include a breast plate made of pipes that are dyed rolled paper.

A tee pee made of boat cover material and trimmed in leather scraps from a boat named "Stardust"  I also made a Lakota styled dress with scalp lock trims from horses that were close to my heart, mane and tail hair.

I have had the privilege of displaying them at  a few Pow-Wows here at Lake Tahoe, and they were well received, because I wasn't trying to copy, but to express gratitude for the traditions, reflecting my own experiences.

Beside that, I have an life long devotion to horses which I have been sharing with kids thru a 4-H program I began 25 years ago.

The local kids get a cost free, hands on, comprehensive mountain horsemanship education on the last horse property in our area.

Many of the kids go on to work and earn their college money and some even go further than that working with horses.

Right now I am working on saddle bags and pack bags.  I would like to see if I can find the right equipment to upholster speakers into the saddle bags and then be able to take Joe on the trail.  I would bet that some sort of I pad/phone powered speaker system would fit the requirements, but sadly I am not very well versed in any of the new technology.   Always ready to learn something new if I need to.   Any suggestions of what might work, greatly appreciated!

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo, it is really interesting what you are doing with Native American inspired artifacts. I have had the pleasure of meeting some local Native Americans (being from Virginia they are part of the tribes that Pocohantas belonged to) when doing the archaeology work I've done and also had the pleasure of getting one gentleman to help me out on the site I have been working on for the last 12 years. He really was amazed to see how things turned up in the ground and learn things he never knew and learn things from thousands of years ago. It turned into a great friendship and was great to learn Native American traditions from him. I will definately check out the book you mentioned also.

Tim S wrote:

Once again I am very impressed with your woodworking and might have to "borrow" your plans ipad stand for my wife and daughter.

Go for it. Just to let you know, I kind of winged it when I was designing it so there is an error in the design. There are three holes that the support can rest in, but actually only the two back ones are useable. So if you do it, there is no need to cut out the hole closest to the front, just do the back two.

ohiodawg13 wrote:
tahoerimriders wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

Tahoe Jo

Hi Tahoe Jo, if you've upholstered wood boats do you work @ Sierra Boatworks by any chance? Are you on the North Shore or South?

Think Gar Woods,

J Dawg

I have worked on many boats that were kept @Sierra Boat, but I have never worked FOR them.  I am based on the North Shore, and take projects by private contract, one at a time.   Since joining the Street Team, I have coined the term " Tahoe Blues, Northside Chapter " for the people I have turned on to Joe's music and joined forces with, to promote Joe any way we can.

Joe's non-profit "Keeping the Blues Alive" is something else we always bring into the conversation so we can help that effort as well.

I have enlisted the help of my horses, Sassy (quarter/paint APHA reg name "Chex My Features")  and wild born Chincoteague Pony GG ( registered name "Whisper's Wind Dancer" ) for Joe B's  Street Team .

I started a 4-H club and stable project, the same year the first time my work was featured on a boat in the Con Course d' Elegance, 1988. The boat was Alan Furth's "Miss Montana".

The 4-H club was established on the last North Shore commercial horse property in Kings Beach and is still going strong.  Cost free to local kids, we give a full mountain horsemanship course, that has launched many youth members into summer jobs working with horses.   We have run it all this time on donations and volunteers.

Finding Joe and his music was a big part of how the 4-H club survived some serious challenges last year, and so the kids and horses have become part of the Joe B Street Team support.

When I think Gar Woods,  "Leading Lady" is a personal favorite that comes to mind that comes from the Sierra Boat harbor.

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

nmagcorn wrote:
tahoerimriders wrote:

Tahoe Jo

That sounds really interesting. Do you have any photographs of what you have made?

Natasha

Not in a format to send electronically.  Most of the pieces were made for the 1992 Snow Dance and Pow Wow held at the Cal-Neva in Crystal Bay NV.

They were lastly displayed at the last Snow Dance held at Sand Harbor on Lake Tahoe's East Shore in 2000.

They serve as a source of private inspiration now in my home.

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

My hobbies:
Studying about wine - really not a hobby. More passion/profession
Supporting local music
Ikebana (Japanese flower arranging)
Auto crossing my 1979 Corvette. But I have had to "slow down" because of expenses.
Texas history
Art history - my major in college
Food!

Does collecting guitars count?

Alan

Tim S wrote:
tahoerimriders wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo, it is really interesting what you are doing with Native American inspired artifacts. I have had the pleasure of meeting some local Native Americans (being from Virginia they are part of the tribes that Pocohantas belonged to) when doing the archaeology work I've done and also had the pleasure of getting one gentleman to help me out on the site I have been working on for the last 12 years. He really was amazed to see how things turned up in the ground and learn things he never knew and learn things from thousands of years ago. It turned into a great friendship and was great to learn Native American traditions from him. I will definately check out the book you mentioned also.

Black Elk saved and changed my life back in 1989, when I found the book in a used book store.   A completely different perspective from the Eastern tribes you have been working with in Virginia, but well worth the read.

I was given a wild born Chincoteague Pony, born on Assateague Island Virginia last year.
GG was bought as a foal @ the 2007 pony swim, shipped to Reno and allowed to become a spoiled barn baby.        5 years old when I got her with very little training, we have her going quite well.       Growing up with such close human contact has left her with a real need on people's attention.        Since we have started to ride her she acts like that is just another way for getting attention and has been easy to ride.      GG is on the Joe Bonamassa Street Team as well.   

As I understand it, the ponies have been on the island since about 1650 AD.
Have you ever run across any evidence that the Native Americans you have been researching made use of them?

Isn't it amazing how when a passion drives you, the hard work seems insignificant?   Look at all that Joe B has put in to his music and yet it is his joy and ours because he shares his gift.

Keep up the good work, I hope you have some more amazing discoveries and adventures!

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

tahoerimriders wrote:
Tim S wrote:
tahoerimriders wrote:

Tahoe Jo

Black Elk saved and changed my life back in 1989, when I found the book in a used book store.   A completely different perspective from the Eastern tribes you have been working with in Virginia, but well worth the read.

I was given a wild born Chincoteague Pony, born on Assateague Island Virginia last year.
GG was bought as a foal @ the 2007 pony swim, shipped to Reno and allowed to become a spoiled barn baby.        5 years old when I got her with very little training, we have her going quite well.       Growing up with such close human contact has left her with a real need on people's attention.        Since we have started to ride her she acts like that is just another way for getting attention and has been easy to ride.      GG is on the Joe Bonamassa Street Team as well.   

Have you ever run across any evidence that the Native Americans you have been researching made use of them?

Isn't it amazing how when a passion drives you, the hard work seems insignificant?   Look at all that Joe B has put in to his music and yet it is his joy and ours because he shares his gift.

Keep up the good work, I hope you have some more amazing discoveries and adventures!

Tahoe Jo

Definately plan on looking into the book. I have met one gentleman doing the archaeology work that is Chickahominy Indian and that is part of the Powhatan tribe of which Pocohantas belonged. Learned alot of the beliefs and traditions of the tribe which was so interesting and he in turn was interested in what I was doing to learn more about his history as the stuff I was unearthing was thousands of years old and it wasn't written in the history books. From talking to him the beliefs didn't seem to differ to much from the Indians from the west. Just seems like that the devastation the eastern tribes of Indians were subject to their stories didn't get out as much.

Great to hear you have one of the ponies. If you ever get a chance to see the roundup it is well worth it. As for the Indians using the horses I haven't heard of them using the ponies at that time. Because of so many woodlands here the Indians moved on land on foot and used canoes on the rivers for transportation. I heard the horses probably came from Spanish boats that either landed on shore or from shipwrecks in the 1500's. Little known fact is Spain had a mission not that far from Jamestown around 1575 that didn't survive hence the reason for the English settling at Jamestown.

Great work you are doing and have to say that Tahoe is one beautiful place and has to be awesome to be on horseback and riding it. I'm sure the horses and the kids will love Joe's music also.

Tim

Tim S wrote:
tahoerimriders wrote:
Tim S wrote:

Tahoe Jo

Definately plan on looking into the book. I have met one gentleman doing the archaeology work that is Chickahominy Indian and that is part of the Powhatan tribe of which Pocohantas belonged. Learned alot of the beliefs and traditions of the tribe which was so interesting and he in turn was interested in what I was doing to learn more about his history as the stuff I was unearthing was thousands of years old and it wasn't written in the history books. From talking to him the beliefs didn't seem to differ to much from the Indians from the west. Just seems like that the devastation the eastern tribes of Indians were subject to their stories didn't get out as much.

Great to hear you have one of the ponies. If you ever get a chance to see the roundup it is well worth it. As for the Indians using the horses I haven't heard of them using the ponies at that time. Because of so many woodlands here the Indians moved on land on foot and used canoes on the rivers for transportation. I heard the horses probably came from Spanish boats that either landed on shore or from shipwrecks in the 1500's. Little known fact is Spain had a mission not that far from Jamestown around 1575 that didn't survive hence the reason for the English settling at Jamestown.

Great work you are doing and have to say that Tahoe is one beautiful place and has to be awesome to be on horseback and riding it. I'm sure the horses and the kids will love Joe's music also.

Tim

Hay Tim,   Probably the biggest difference with the Western Plains tribes was the horse culture.  It completely changed so many things from hunting bison, to the ability to have larger Tee Pees.    The horses became a status symbol as well as a monetary equivalent for trade.   When you read Black Elk's book, you will hear in his own words a beautiful description of life as a Lakota.

Where ever they came from GG is about the smartest animal I have worked with in over 53 years of working with horses.
I also find her to be very brave in new situations.

Tahoe is an amazing place, I have loved every minute here since moving from the East Coast 35 years ago.  In all that time I have never taken for granted the fact that I live here, and have never seen the Lake look the same day by day.  A unique and beautiful expression of Mother Nature.

Enjoy the beautiful Eastern Spring !

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

I totally agree with you TJ, I've roamed North Shore for over 40 years and hate when it's time to go home. I've hung many times @ a very good friends place I helped build on the Truckee River @ Bridge 8, was last there in Oct. You have to keep your head on a swivel nowadays watching for bears, they've become very bold. Three very good friends are roaming around Tahoe Vista and staying @ Red Wolf for the weekend. very tough viewing all the pics they are forwarding. Did you happen to catch Joe @ the Crystal Bay Club on Memorial weekend in '06 when it snowed right at lake level? Lastly, speaking of Cal Neva, I got married there in the Cottage Chapel on the water in '88, rather memorable Tahoe moment! Got the itch to head up now!!!

Keep Tahoe Blue!!!

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Dang, you are not going to believe this! I used to work for SBC. I was there when Cal-Neva opened!!!! It came over K-FRANK and the entire crew bailed to Cal-Neva, we had the place all to our selves for about 3 weeks! GREAT Times!!! I used to work with Curt and Tony Brown.

All the talk about horses has brought back such fond memories of my most favorite thing when I was a kid, and that was riding. Especially being able to ride on open land. When I was 11, my uncle was transferred to Mexico City for a year and he and my aunt invited me to spend the summer with them. He knew I loved riding and he found a guy with horses and we used to go out on the weekends beyond the city and ride. Nothing more exhilirating than a full gallup across open fields. Just like you're flying!