1 (edited by murfdog 2013-04-14 02:45:21)

Topic: Portland show review (and limited setlist)

Well.......This night was OUSTANDING. Have. seen Joe SEVERAL times and this was one of the best by far. He started with about 30 minutes of acoustic, kicking the night off with "Palm Trees, Helicopters, and Gasoline"....and did many of the songs he did on the "Vienna" cd/dvd....Also did 'Jockey Full of Bourbon" "Athens to Athens"...and ended the acoustic set with ...of course..."Woke up Dreaming....Then the band plugged in and we got:
Slow Train
Dust Bowl
Disclocated Boy
Driving Toward the Daylight
Young Man Blues
Who's Been Talkin?
and the 2 ridiculously great versions of "Look Over Yonder Walls"...done much slower than the album version...and so very very good...must have lasted 15 minutes....Then about a 20 minute version of "John Henry"...Just kind of blowing eveyone's mind......Oh....and "Sloe Gin" was in there somewhere as well....But I'm tellin' ya...That John Henry was one for the history books...OMG...
....And the encore consisted of "Askin' Around for You" and back to the "Just got Paid"...Zep medley.....Incredible...Lots of old time Joe fans there. We talked to Joe before the show and he said that 3 days ago he could barely talk..Well....good news....He's made a quick recovery...His voice was perfecto. Arlan on Keys really adds a new dimension to the band...The sound was great....and , of course...Carmine was great and Tal is an ANIMAL!!...But we all knew that already. Supreme show...can't wait until Monday...

Murfdog

Re: Portland show review (and limited setlist)

+1 I have never heard such emotion come from a guitar as in John Henry! The night was just perfect! Joe, Thank you so much!

Thanks for the reviews!
Good to hear that Joe has recovered from that nasty English bug. I'm just getting over it myself. The band is indeed better than ever. That was a very tasty set list. Can't wait until Vegas!
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Gotta agree with Murfdog on this one, a really high energy  show by the whole band, Joe in great form after having had the flu, and a brilliant white suit that I think was a big hit with everyone.  The venue, Keller Auditorium, was very nice (our first time there) and we had box seats at balcony's edge just right of center, which turned out to be an ideal viewing and listening angle. 

We missed Mountain Time and would love to see it come back into the set, but of course you have to change things around from time to time.  Maybe Joe and band are working on a revised version of it to freshen it up a bit and then bring it back into the rotation again soon? (hint hint)

Personal favorites were Palm Trees, Jelly Roll, and Athens from the acoustic set, and Dust Bowl, Dislocated Boy, Sloe Gin, Yonders Wall, and Who's Been Talking from the electric.  And of course JGP.     A very appreciative crowd (sold out, I think, or close to it) and on their feet for the finale.

Friday in Seattle at the Paramount was the same set list, but there it seemed to us that many of the songs, certainly the harder rocking ones, were  over amplified to the point of discomfort and not being able to distinguish much of anything, and Joes voice buried somewhere in the mix.   Might have been our seating in Seattle (about 3/4 way back main floor center), but Portland was noticeably better in terms of volume management, mix balance, and keeping Joes voice more up in front.

So, time to start planning our short day here in Portland  before hopping the Coast Starlight at 2:25 for Eugene, and a restful night there before our final show tomorrow night to cap off the "Northwest Trifecta" big_smile

Hey RV, There were a lot of folks talking about your Trifecta last night. The general opinion was "Why the hell didn't I think of that"! See ya in Eugene.

OP, during "Just Got Paid" did Joe treat you to a little Whitesnake?  In Seattle he played several passages from "Still of the Night"...as well as the Zep stuff. Pretty awesome.

big_smile

BB

Life is too short to live with bad tone!

Rv flyer and Skamokawa...See you in Eugene....Hoping it's anywhere near as great as Portland show....I'm sure with the extra night off...he's gonna blow our mind again on Monday night !!!

Murfdog

OH....and forgot to mention the most hilarious part of the night....Joe explaining to us that he went outside to take a picture of the giant"Portland" marquee only to discover there wasn't one.....Then he's like....well the hell am I ? Last year he played the "Arlene Schnitzer"...that's the one with the sign....This year he played Keller Auditorium....uuuhhh..no big marquee here bud....Regardless...the show was memorable as always

Murfdog

Yeah, Good shows go by so fast. Joe was proud Murfdog and I promoed the piss out of the Eugene AND Portland shows over the past 6 months sinced announced. He was abit taken back hearing we carpetb$%d "western Oregon" over the past 2 months w/ 15-20 POUNDS of the Eugene show bills, w/ us handing out the last 250-300? at last nights gig, for those who could'nt get enough or newbies that had to insist others go who could'nt make the Portland show. Great finally meeting Bill M. (super oldschool) and seeing alot of the "Regulars" once again. Great 3rd row seats right in front of Joe w/ Eddie Martinez sitting due across the isle from us Rockin' profusely. We tried w/ a months notice to have Joe bring our friend Terry Robb out for a couple tunes this time, but, no one ws sharing the stage this tour so far. Maybe next time...i.e. be careful whatcha wish for. Excessive shredding may have been TOO much of a "good thing". Glad we got super oldscool Rockin' Ron Johnson from southern Oregon back on the street team and set up with Andrew, as I sent him at least 100 bills a month back to saturate from Medford to Eugene. Will be good seeing him again in Eugene. He and Bill M. have classic stories from the Ford F-350 cargo van days and volunteer roadieship assistance from gig to gig to name a few.

Thanks for review and set list.  So glad is back on his feet after the flu.  Love this set list. I think any song played by joe is great

wvgirlinky wrote:

Thanks for review and set list.  So glad is back on his feet after the flu.  Love this set list. I think any song played by joe is great

+1 for that sentiment! If Joe is in my town, he can play whatever he wants!

If he didn't tell us about the flu, you would have never guessed. Voice was great, amazing energy on stage. When/where can I go next? I think I'm gonna try for some Oakland tix on Tuesday.

awesome seeing all you guys....great show(s), too....see you soon...bill masullo