Topic: Has Joe Forgotten His Fans

I have just looked at the pre-sale prices for the Edinburgh show that Joe will be doing in September & I can't help but wonder if he has forgotten about his loyal fan base who have stuck by him, how can Joe justify these exhorbitant prices?

We know inflation's a factor but surely a middle ground could have been found where everyone would come away feeling happy & ready to see Joe one more time, what I would like to know is what are we getting for the extra £33 this time that we haven't had before?

These are just some of the important questions that the fans (not just me) are asking.

I would appreciate the views of my fellow forum members on this one as I am sure I am not the only one who feels like this.

2 (edited by RickB 2013-03-11 16:57:07)

Re: Has Joe Forgotten His Fans

I see comparable and even much higher prices here in California for lesser artists. A fact of the times with taxes, inflation, cost of energy and other factors making it more expensive for the venue and the tour overhead. If you look at the purchasing power erosion on currency lately, the prices are equal in value to those many years ago. The numbers look shocking but the value is the same.

I just happened upon stubs from Joe's show in the Coach House, a 350 seat dinner theater for November 2009. $45 plus fees put it at $50 each. Add in the two drink minimum, an hour drive each way and it is actually equal to what we pay in our dollar today for the show coming in December here, since the currency is worth a lot less in buying power. Sad that so many are being squeezed out of the shows due to the lousy economic times but that is a fact of life everywhere. Joe's not being greedy, just meeting the cost of doing business these days.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Hopefully not.
I think his management may have.
Saw Joe in 2008 for £15 and enjoyed concert more than RAH
where the sound was poor and the ticket was about £35.
Paid same amount for Brighton last year - excellent.
This year will cost £60 for same seating, still worth it but only just.

Lester

4 (edited by Blues Sissi 2013-03-11 17:26:53)

Jane H. wrote:

Well FWIW it is alot of cash but from the first time i saw him for 12 bucks I KNEW it was only a matter of time before it would get to be like this. Back then ten years ago, I asked that hopefully one day fans would get a chance, just a chance at getting decent seas. I feel like they do their best with that and (because I had the money saved up and ready) i scored 3rd row via the presale for Baltimore. pretty glad about that

I also recently found an old invoice from POPSHOP that used to sell his records thru the Medalist label. 10 years later i can still buy Joe cds for the same price so that was kinda a neat thing to see.

I don't think Joe has forgotten us but i do understand the frustration you express.

IMHO CDs wouldn't sell for a price about twice as much or higher as other CDs.

I can also appreciate the concerns, but at the same time cannot imagine the cost of touring these days.  I read a post from Joe here on the Forum that the money does not all end up in the artist's pocket.  He found out that filling his one tour bus with petro was $700.  He was shocked and asked the driver how often he had to fill it up and it was 3 times a week! Plus the other tour bus plus 2 semi trucks for the equipment.  That's $8,400 every week just for fuel.  Not to mention overseas flights, etc.  Sheds a different light on the whole picture.

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

I think it's more a reflection that touring is really expensive these days, as fuel prices and everything else goes up.  Don't get me wrong, I agree it kind of sucks as a concert-goer.  I have to prioritize and probably won't see him this year, but I understand where it's coming from.  I'm just glad I have been able to see him multiple times, he always puts on a great show and outdoes himself each time.  That said, I've gone to shows half the price and really enjoyed it, and gone to more expensive shows that I thought sucked.

Regardless, I think Joe's definitely an artist who truly is there for his fans - check out the "ticket scam" thread.  I don't know too many artists who would do what Joe did to make things right.

In general, all national level artist concert tickets are expensive.  Musicians don't make money on records like they used to.  Concerts are a natural way to make some of that lost revenue up.  I love the fact that Joe gives us records and videos and concerts.  And he does in frequency what only a tiny fraction of artists do.  So it becomes a matter of priorities.  For the last 7 or 8 years, Joe has made my priority cut.  I have no complaints about the value equation Joe provides his fans.  No one does it better for me.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

I have paid money for things in the past that I knew were not worth it but Joe puts so much energy and soul into his shows, there is no way one would ever walk away from a concert feeling like they did not get their moneys worth.  I will pay increased prices just to keep him coming back!  Listening to a CD or watching a DVD does nothing in comparison to the energy of a Joe concert - it must be experienced live to be fully appreciated.

You have not experienced what a truly emotion filled solo is until you have seen Joe play Sloe Gin in person.

9 (edited by Coach305 2013-03-11 19:04:36)

The inflation rate in the U.S. hasn't done much damage to buying power for some years now (you can use this to see how much: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/ ), but the same can't be said for Britain and other countries in Europe as the Euro-Crisis-of-the-Week has been unfolding...

To the extent that such things influence YOUR buying power, don't forget that those same factors also affect Joe's (he doesn't get to pay in magic beans to put on his tour, after all; venues want money, transport companies want money, the folks in the band and the road crew want money, etc.).

Sometimes we let our emotions cloud our minds when thinking about economic matters. In an even relatively free market (which the U.S. and Europe are), a good or service will rise in price until it meets resistance, and then it will quickly find an equilibrium. It will not stay at that level for long, though, as at the new price demand will gradually increase again, and we repeat the cycle. That is the way the world works, always has been in this country, and for quite some time in Europe...

I just recently turned 60. If I go to the local grocery store and ask for a lower price for milk (and milk prices here in Iowa at least have gone a little nuts recently) because I've been loyally drinking it for longer than most of their other customers...   wink

All Joe owes us is his best efforts as an artist. I believe he does that (frankly, the amount of work the man does relative to a lot of his peers blows me away). Speaking for myself, I've never been disappointed, and don't expect to be. But he doesn't owe us a longevity bonus based on when we started following him...

P.S. If anybody makes any cracks about what was life like before milk was invented ('cause at my age, I must have been there when it was) will get a poke in the snout. And I have never raised my price on that...   big_smile

Shu

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

Have you priced tickets to see Justin Beaver or Lady Gag-me? Not that I would walk across the street to see either for free but you'll pay 2-3 times more to see them than you will to see JB.

11 (edited by pattyluvsjoe 2013-03-11 20:00:15)

I don't know if it was on here or on Facebook Joe said he was responsible for 21 families plus himself.  That's a big deal when you are the breadwinner for that many families. And you feel that responsibility. Yes he gets help from the band, the crew, the office, etc.... but the show doesn't go on without Joe.  He does have the responsibility on his shoulders.  I understand what you are saying, but forget his fans??...I don't think Joe will ever forget his fans, my opinion is that Joe is cut from a different cloth and I think Joe is a very responsible person.  Joe also deserves to make a profit and a living for himself.  He has worked tirelessly for years.  My part time job is in a theater and I see how many people need to get paid for every show that comes thru there.......it is a a lot of people, but we still have 2,000-3,000 people for every show.....part of it is where you want to place your hard earned dollars.....I hope you understand what I am trying to say.  When I first started following Joe I couldn't believe how low the ticket prices were for the quality of show I was seeing.  Perhaps if there would have been a gradual increase in the earlier years it wouldn't seem so much now.

I am thankful for how low the ticket prices were for so long.  Just my 2 cents worth....
                                                                                                                        pattyluvsjoe smile

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

12 (edited by cindyron 2013-03-11 21:08:49)

Hi
To say Joe has forgotten his fans?? What you have got to be kidding. The price of ticket's well as things get bigger it cost more$$ to produce the show. As others have stated fuel etc etc. But to say Joe has forgotten his fans could not be further from the truth. Joe has always said time and time again how much he appreciates his fans. And I for one have been fortunate to meet Joe several times and he has helped me more ways he will ever know. He is a down to earth originally good guy. I have talked to him several times and I got to tell you he has always been so appreciative. You know I always felt as if he was honered to meet me as I was to meet him. Tickets expensive maybe but things go up. But Joe forgetting his fans NO WAY.
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

I don't know if it was on here or on Facebook Joe said he was responsible for 21 families plus himself.  That's a big deal when you are the breadwinner for that many families. And you feel that responsibility. Yes he gets help from the band, the crew, the office, etc.... but the show doesn't go on without Joe.  He does have the responsibility on his shoulders.  I understand what you are saying, but forget his fans??...I don't think Joe will ever forget his fans, my opinion is that Joe is cut from a different cloth and I think Joe is a very responsible person.  Joe also deserves to make a profit and a living for himself.  He has worked tirelessly for years.  My part time job is in a theater and I see how many people need to get paid for every show that comes thru there.......it is a a lot of people, but we still have 2,000-3,000 people for every show.....part of it is where you want to place your hard earned dollars.....I hope you understand what I am trying to say.  When I first started following Joe I couldn't believe how low the ticket prices were for the quality of show I was seeing.  Perhaps if there would have been a gradual increase in the earlier years it wouldn't seem so much now.

I am thankful for how low the ticket prices were for so long.  Just my 2 cents worth....
                                                                                                                        pattyluvsjoe smile

I totally agree Patty.And its not always easy for everyone to come up with the dough, to go to the show.But don't blame it on Joe.That's what I say.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Coach305 wrote:

The inflation rate in the U.S. hasn't done much damage to buying power for some years now (you can use this to see how much: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/ ), but the same can't be said for Britain and other countries in Europe as the Euro-Crisis-of-the-Week has been unfolding...

To the extent that such things influence YOUR buying power, don't forget that those same factors also affect Joe's (he doesn't get to pay in magic beans to put on his tour, after all; venues want money, transport companies want money, the folks in the band and the road crew want money, etc.).

Sometimes we let our emotions cloud our minds when thinking about economic matters. In an even relatively free market (which the U.S. and Europe are), a good or service will rise in price until it meets resistance, and then it will quickly find an equilibrium. It will not stay at that level for long, though, as at the new price demand will gradually increase again, and we repeat the cycle. That is the way the world works, always has been in this country, and for quite some time in Europe...

I just recently turned 60. If I go to the local grocery store and ask for a lower price for milk (and milk prices here in Iowa at least have gone a little nuts recently) because I've been loyally drinking it for longer than most of their other customers...   wink

All Joe owes us is his best efforts as an artist. I believe he does that (frankly, the amount of work the man does relative to a lot of his peers blows me away). Speaking for myself, I've never been disappointed, and don't expect to be. But he doesn't owe us a longevity bonus based on when we started following him...

P.S. If anybody makes any cracks about what was life like before milk was invented ('cause at my age, I must have been there when it was) will get a poke in the snout. And I have never raised my price on that...   big_smile

Shu

I didn't know milk was invented coach!LOL

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Hey, it's a business......with killer music attached by a dude that always gives a damn.

Thanks JB!!!

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

...simple equation really... the brighter the Star = the more it burns!

...talking of milk... do you know Starbucks coffee works out at £48 a gallon... its cheaper to drink petrol! hmm

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

I think in the case of this artist, the prices of tickets directly from the venues are justifiable. And the price of fuel seems to dictate the prices of a lot of things these days. Fuel goes up, everything goes up. It costs more to operate venues, maintain them etc. It's not just the transportation costs of getting a band from point A to point B.

I know it sucks having to sometimes pay more than you'd like to see a band but its not something you're doing weekly or monthly. And if someone is a regular concert goer, then I guess you either chalk it up as part of the game or you pick and chose a little more selectively who you're going to see.

Didn't we just go through this like 3 or 4 months ago during the fall tour? I guess every time tickets go on sale, then there will be some people irritated by the prices. If the price of fuel and food and lodging have gone up for us, then obviously it has all gone up for Joe. I'm actually surprised the prices aren't higher for the UK and Europe shows considering he has to transport all of his crew and equipment over there. If it costs the four of us over $6000 for airfare to Europe, I don't even want to imagine how much it costs for Joe and all his people and gear. And he has to feed, house, and transport them everywhere. And it doesn't seem to me like he has forgotten his fans when he just recently helped out that family who had scammed tickets to RAH. He could have said, too bad, you didn't buy the tickets through the proper links from my site, but instead he helped to get them authentic tickets. Hardly the act of someone who has forgotten their fans.