Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Well, hope Mr Smith enjoys his flight to Florida, and more importantly, the JB gig in Fort Myers. Shame he's going to miss the John Barry, James Bond music night.

Still, hopefully he'll return for Friday 21st, when BBC4 celebrate the music of Neville John Holder, James Whild Lea, Donald George Powell & David John Hill, otherwise known as SLADE.

21:00 – 21:50 It's Slade : Documentary about the much-loved British band Slade, huge glam rock stars of the 70s. Think this was made in 1999.(R)

21:50 – 22:50 Slade at the BBC : Coz I Luv You, Mama Weer All Crazee Now, Gudbuy T'Jane, Cum On Feel the Noize and more.

22:50 – 00:20 Slade in Flame : In 1970s northern England a working class rock band struggles for stardom. Northern? I suppose Wolverhampton is, when you're from Watford. However, easily one of the best band movies made.

Yes, a whole evening of Wolverhampton's finest (Okay, Noddy's from Walsall and Dave Hill was born in Devon...picky....)
It can only mean one thing....ITS CHRISTMAAAASS

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Well that's next week's Friday night viewing sorted then smile .

Still got a bit of a soft spot for the boys from the Midlands.  Back in the 70s my bedroom was plastered wall to ceiling with pictures of Noddy, Jimmy, Dave and Don, much to the annoyance of my parents.

Just noticed that The Rolling Stones and Muddy Waters Live at the Checkerboard Lounge is on BBC2 in the early hours (12.50 a.m.) of Saturday the 15th December.

LynB wrote:

Well that's next week's Friday night viewing sorted then smile .

Still got a bit of a soft spot for the boys from the Midlands.  Back in the 70s my bedroom was plastered wall to ceiling with pictures of Noddy, Jimmy, Dave and Don, much to the annoyance of my parents.

Saw them last night in Aberdeen. Really enjoyed hearing all the classics again. Only Don Powell & Dave Hill from original band but the singer is a great replacement for Noddy.

Well, looks like BBC4 is getting off to a slow-ish start for 2013.

Friday 11th, after two shows about Chinese piano prodigy Lang Lang, there's a couple of specials featuring Burliegh Chassie

Friday 18th, couple of specials featuring Glen Campbell, including the 1977 Festival Hall show with 80 piece orchestra.

"Friday 11th, after two shows about Chinese piano prodigy Lang Lang"

Wot..... that Panda has now learnt to play piano!!!! lol

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

115 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-01-11 03:39:56)

Full listing for Friday 11th, including Peculiar Clark and Brack's Panda...smells nice, the Panda, not Brack  tongue

19:30 - 22:20 Lang Lang Live at the Roundhouse
Lang Lang performs a recital featuring nine of Liszt's finest solo piano pieces. (R)

20:20 – 21:15 Lang Lang: The Art of Being a Virtuoso
Documentary following classical music star Lang Lang as he tours China, the US and Europe.

21:15 – 22:15 imagine...
Winter 2009, Dame Shirley Bassey - The Girl from Tiger Bay
Alan Yentob gains an insight into the creative world of Dame Shirley Bassey. (R)

22:15 – 23:15 Shirley Bassey at the BBC
Including The Performance of My Life, Goldfinger, Big Spender and Diamonds are Forever.

23:15 – 00:15 Legends
Petula Clark - Blue Lady
A revealing look at the long and remarkable career of Petula Clark. (R)

00:15 – 00:45 The Sound of Petula Clark
Petula Clark presents and stars in her own show, singing songs requested by the viewers. (R)

For Friday 18th:-

21:00 – 22:00 Glen Campbell: The Rhinestone Cowboy
Profile of singer/guitarist Glen Campbell, a story of success, disgrace and redemption.

22:00 – 23:20 An Evening with Glen Campbell
80 musicians play new arrangements of Glen Campbell's hits at the Royal Festival Hall. (R)

23:20 – 00:50 Country at the BBC
With Tammy Wynette, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and more. (R)

116 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-01-18 06:54:50)

Warning: This post contains scenes of gratiuitous jazz some of you may find disturbing...

Friday 18th, it the Nine-stone Cowboy himself, Glen Cambell:-

21:00 – 22:00 Glen Campbell: The Rhinestone Cowboy
Profile of singer/guitarist Glen Campbell, a story of success, disgrace and redemption.

22:00 – 23:20 An Evening with Glen Campbell
80 musicians play new arrangements of Glen Campbell's hits at the Royal Festival Hall. (R)

23:20 – 00:50 Country at the BBC
With Tammy Wynette, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and more. (R)

Friday 25th:-
21:30 - 22:45 imagine... Winter 2011, Simon and Garfunkel - The Harmony Game
Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel talk openly about the making of Bridge Over Troubled Water. (R)

22:45 – 00:15 Arena Dave Brubeck - In His Own Sweet Way
Profile of the influential jazz pianist Dave Brubeck as he approaches his 90th birthday. (R)

00:15 – 01:15 1959: The Year that Changed Jazz
A look at 1959 albums by Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Charles Mingus and Ornette Coleman. (R)

01:15 – 02:15 Omnibus Ronnie Scott and All That Jazz
Documentary on the London venue opened in 1959 and now the heartbeat of British jazz. (R)

think I might Take Five tonight...

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Steady Ian, I think you're being a little premature there. big_smile To quote a phrase from a very old TV prog (and show my age)
"Can you come back next week?" lol

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

119 (edited by PSmith1946 2013-01-19 12:08:50)

Not Friday but Saturday (actually early Sunday morning), Some good old southern rock. big_smile big_smile big_smile
Sweet Home Alabama: The Southern Rock Saga
1:20am - 2:20am (1 hour)

How groups including Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers Band helped popularise a style of rock music rooted in the culture of America's Deep South during the 1970s. The programme explores how the genre had an impact beyond the world of music, shaping the cultural identity of some of America's most deprived and marginalised regions. Featuring contributions by Gregg Allman, Mike Mills, Charlie Daniels, Doug Gray, Al Kooper and Bonnie Bramlett

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Again not on a Friday, but those in the UK (and probably in Europe) can catch three shows this week all about our favourite medium for listening to music of old, the LP. The first programme was last night but can be seen on the BBC iPlayer or one of the repeats. The other two are this evening and tomorrow evening at 9.00pm GMT on BBC4.

Danny baker's Great Album Showdown

On Friday, 8th February we can look forward to some more good programme's on the good old Beeb with a follow up to Danny Baker's programmes called "When Albums Ruled the World", a documentary on the making of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and the story of making of The Doors "LA Woman".
Full details and timings here.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”

Friday March 1st.

A night in for fans of Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien OBE aka Rusty Springbox

20:40 - 20:55 Pop Go the Sixties
Series 1, The Kinks, The Shadows, The Tremeloes, The Who
60s hits by The Who, The Kinks, The Shadows and The Tremeloes. (R)

20:55 – 21:00 Pop Go the Sixties
Series 2, Dusty Springfield
From her own series recorded in 1967, Dusty Springfield performs Sunny. (R)

21:00 – 22:00 Dusty Springfield at the BBC
A selection of Dusty Springfield's greatest performances at the BBC from 1961 to 1995.

22:00 – 23:00 Definitely Dusty
Documentary looking at the life and work of soul and pop diva Dusty Springfield. (R)

23:00 – 23:25 Dusty
Series 2, Episode 6
Featuring guest Scott Walker. Dusty sings You Don't Have to Say You Love Me. (R)

23:25 – 00:25 Classic Soul at the BBC
With Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Isaac Hayes, Solomon Burke and Percy Sledge. (R)

00:25 – 01:25 Steve Winwood: English Soul
Profile of Steve Winwood, of the Spencer Davis Group, Traffic and Blind Faith. (R)

Dusty was always there with the very best. Deserves the night surely. big_smile
Steve Winwood also excellent. An early Traffic concert I saw at Sheffield City Hall was one of the best. big_smile

Bit of a mixed bag for Friday 8th March; should be something to please most people though:-

21:00 – 22:00 Totally British 70's Rock 'n' Roll 1970-1974
1/2 1970 rock 'n' roll from the likes of Free, Status Quo, the Faces and Humble Pie.

22:00 – 23:00 The Ballad of Mott the Hoople
Documentary telling the tale of one of the UK's most cherished rock 'n' roll bands.

23:00 – 00:00 Mark Lawson Talks To... Mark Knopfler
Mark Lawson talks to Mark Knopfler about his early life and influences. (R)

00:00 – 01:55 Lemmy: The Movie
Film celebrating the life and rock 'n' roll philosophy of Motorhead frontman Lemmy. (R)

Haven't got all the details to hand, but next week (25th) programmes feature Graham Parker & The Rumour as well as a showing of Oil City Confidential.

Finally a good night, been a bit thin on the ground recently though (Dusty an exception). cool

Thanks for keeping this going, Mike. I look at the dear old RT every week but keep forgetting to post details here. Next week looks good too. smile

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Happy to when I can Phil. Noticed two things about this, over the last year or so: firstly, all the good shows are on weeks when I'm out getting my music "on draught" and secondly, the best shows seem to be on the artists I wouldn't usually bother with. Must the the "didn't know that" factor.

Anyway, looks a good night's viewing this Friday; here's more detail for next (15th March):-

21:00 – 22:00 Totally British 70's Rock 'n' Roll 1975-79
2/2 With Dr Feelgood, Ducks DeLuxe, Elvis Costello, Ace, Dire Straits, Nick Lowe and more.

22:00 – 23:35 Graham Parker: Don't Ask Me Questions
Profile of Graham Parker, whose incendiary band the Rumour inspired punk and new wave.

23:35 – 01:25 Oil City Confidential: Dr Feelgood
Director Julien Temple celebrates the early Seventies Essex rhythm and blues band. (R)

01:25 – 02:25 Sight and Sound in Concert Graham Parker and the Rumour
70s rockers Graham Parker and the Rumour in concert at the Hippodrome in Golders Green. (R)

Be good to see a bit Brinsley Schwarz on TV again.