1 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-09-23 05:51:05)

Topic: Lewis Hamilton (NOT the F1 Driver) & the Boogie Brothers

Don't know if these have their own thread yet - everytime I search I get some Forumla 1 driver - I expect a certain young Scottish guitar player hasn't heard that one before.

Anyway, just seen them for the second time over the week-end, so though it was about time they had a thread to themselves.

So Lewis Hamilton & The Boogie Brothers; playing at Hartlepool's Camerons Club on what hopefully is becoming a more frequent excursion down from Scotland. This time I was able to see Lewis' fingers of rubber and magic throttling his way through a couple of Telecasters in that barnstorming style he has, as well a very good command of slide guitar work.  Once again, making the power-trio is Nick on Bass & Santa behind the drums – and these guys know their business, make no mistake; Santa's drumming is set at boiling point and a couple of times he boiled over into a pair of blistering solos. The set, again, split over two 45 minute sessions were an eclectic mix of the self-penned kicking off with Gambling Machine and Empty Roads and standards, with a couple of left-field covers to add character. Yes, you get your Hendrix (Red House)and Freddie King, Deep Purple (Black Night) and Ray Charles freshen things up, but a rapid-fire Johnny Cash cover (Fulsom Prison Blues) comes in like a shot of Tabasco. If Luther Perkins played it this fast, his fingers would ignite!

These guys have a great range in their tastes which comes over in the show - from power blues to something with a country edge (and Country is just Blues with "twang") - even a little jazz creeps in, when Lewis isn't looking. What you got is a band who love music, love an audience, love playing and make sure you leave well-boogied (and hopefully with a CD or two). Well worth seeing when they travel.

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Lewis Hamilton (NOT the F1 Driver) & the Boogie Brothers

Duncan is probably going to sit back and say “Told you so; told you so ages ago”; so by rights, the credit should go to him, but one of my one-to-watch recommendations for 2013 has to be Lewis Hamilton. Now that Nick has found “South” on the van, the guys are becoming regulars down here, and are very welcome for it. I've marked out their "southern" gigs, but don't let that stop you checking them out if you're north of the border.

January
18th - The Globe Inn, Aberdeen 9.30pm
26th - Whistlebinkies, Edinburgh 7pm
February
8th -  Twa Tams,  Perth 9.30pm
9th   -  Bannerman’s Bar, Edin (Supporting Henrik Freischlader)
15th -  Maggie May’s, Glasgow (tickets at SHOP tab) 8pm
16th -  The Clachaig, Glencoe 9.30pm
22nd -  Counting House, Edin w/Stevey Hay’s Shades of Blue
March
1st -  Bank Bar, Dundee 9.30pm
2nd -  The Black Abbot, Montrose 9.30pm
9th   -  Dreadnought, Bathgate with Jer Gregg 8pm
15th -  Reivers, Galashiels with Ruff Cut 8pm
16th -  Sedgefield Blues Club with Albany Down
22nd -  The Globe Inn, Aberdeen 9.30pm
23rd -  Nicky Tam’s, Stirling 4pm
April
4th   -  Green Hotel, Kinross with Baby Isaac 9pm
5th   -  Cleveland Bay, Stockton On Tees 9.30pm
6th   -  The Pluechies Howff, Dumfries 9.30pm
7th   -  The Anchor Bar, Montrose 6.30pm
10th -  The Quakerhouse, Darlington
13th -  The Old Mill Inn, Pitlochry
May
2nd - 3rd Thornhill Music Festival 2013
11th - Orkney (Venue TBC)
13th - 29th - Tour Germany
31st - The Globe Inn,  Aberdeen 9.30pm
June
1st   -  Dreadnought, Bathgate 9pm
7th   -  Blakeney Harbour Room, Norfolk 9pm
13th -  Voodoo Rooms, Edin (Supporting King King)
13th -  Dockers Club Blues review (Leith Festival)
14th -  The Stair Arms Hotel Pathhead MAG Rally
22nd -  The Clachaig, Glencoe 9.30pm
27th -  The Voodoo Rooms, Edinburgh w/Wang Dang Delta (TBC)
29th -  The Black Abbot, Montrose 9.30pm
July
1st - 11th Break
19th - The Globe Inn, Aberdeen 9.30pm
August
2nd - Blues Cafe Bar, Harrogate 9.15pm
3rd - Duck and Drake, Leeds 8.45pm

10th - The Clachaig, Glencoe 9.30pm
11th - The Anchor Bar, Montrose 6.30pm
23rd - Dreadnought Rock, Bathgate (Supporting Dan Reed)
25th - Arbroath Bell Rock Blues Festival (venues TBC)
September
13th - The Bank Bar, Dundee 9.30pm
20th - The Globe Inn, Aberdeen 9.30pm
28th - The Black Abbot, Montrose 9.30pm
October
12th -  Dreadnought, Bathgate 9pm
18th -  Clachaig Inn, Glencoe 9.30pm
November
3rd   - The Anchor Bar, Montrose 6.30pm
22nd - The Globe Inn, Aberdeen 9.30pm
30th - Clachaig Inn, Glencoe 9.30pm
December
20th - Dreadnought, Bathgate 9pm
24th - The Black Abbot, Montrose Xmas Party!

Don’t forget, Lewis as sits in the producers chair for the Jock’s Juke Joint albums and has done a bang up job there, by anyone’s standards.

Mike

And he has 2 damn fine albums to purchase.

Hmm - Might have to see if I can catch their clips on Youtube etc.

Incidentally Lewis Hamilton the F1 driver is quite a good guitarist, and is a Bonamassa fan, and has one of his gold tops too! cool  So when I saw this thread title I thought this was about him and a part time band he had assembled... smile

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Don't know about this Lewis' driving skills, think it's his dad, Nick who handles the tour bus, but on stage, he certainly can set your ears alight and get your feet going.

Devan; - here's a link to Lewis' media page; some solo stuff as well as jams with some "names":

http://www.lewishamiltonmusic.com/MEDIA.html

This Lewis has no driving skills, but I suspect he's a better guitarist!

This one, which wasn't bolded will be a great one:

Hopefully there will be one or two festival additions to add very soon!

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Greenose wrote:

This one, which wasn't bolded will be a great one:

What a one to miss out  :emb  I didn't want to shout about that particular one; I haven't got my tickets yet and Sedgefield have been consistently selling out their gigs over the last year.   

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it......  wink

Well the cat is out of the bag, Lewis Hamilton will be playing the main stage at Maryport on the Friday night!
Some other bands of interest also on the bill, will give details when I can.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)

Greenose wrote:

Well the cat is out of the bag, Lewis Hamilton will be playing the main stage at Maryport on the Friday night!

Is it definitely 26 -28 July Duncan? Bonnie Raitt was rumoured late last year.

Kenny wrote:
Greenose wrote:

Is it definitely 26 -28 July Duncan? Bonnie Raitt was rumoured late last year.

Yes, it's always last weekend in July. I've heard most of the names, with a mainly British lineup, including quite a few Scots. No Bonnie though. Will post a thread when details are public.

11 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-03-18 10:48:16)

Sedgefield R'n'B Club 16-3-13

First chance of the year to catch up with my other "hot-tip" from last year, Lewis and his Boogie Brothers. This has to be one of the most "sorted" of the new wave of Scottish Blues acts.

Certainly one of the best, young slide guitarists I've heard in a long while, and that's how he kicked off his set on Saturday, with a bit of Robert Johnson before being joined on stage by Nick and Santa and launching into his own Empty Roads: so into it, he didn't realise a string had gone mid-way though.

Thing about Lewis, his sets just seem to roll out, yet he has a way about him that just carries an audience along fro the ride, whether he powers through some classic ZZ Top or takes it down with some Mayer-styled Ray Charles' I Don't Need No Doctor; that's not to say Lewis' own material doesn't stand up along side; Drinking Game always gets feet going and a new track, Broken Heart already sounds a winner. Even in a shortened set, Lewis trawls the audience for suggestions; he's already has establshed such a connection, which a recent American visitor couldn't do.

Lewis's also has two seasoned pairs of hands on stage with him, Nick on bass providing solid backing and the amazin' Santa pounding the skins and driving things along. Bit of an evening for Hendrix covers, with the Albany Down lads doing Voodoo Chile, Lewis served up a hot Purple Haze and All Along The Watchtower, which to be fair, is one of Dylan's.

And that kind of wound things up; time seeming to pass very quickly; but that's how things are with Lewis, you get caught up in his enthusiasm and love of what he does; and then it hits you after, how bloody good he is at it. Check him out if he's round near you - he's getting a taste for English beer, so won't be far off. I see he already has Germany in his sights.

12 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-04-09 07:36:54)

Cleveland Bay, Eaglescliffe  5/4/13

This is more like it - Lewis & his Boogie Brothers doing a full show in an intimate venue. Wouldn’t say that Lewis’ last show in these parts was poor or anything, but THIS is the way to catch him at his best; up-close and personal and when the set list borders on the spontaneous and reckelss - especially with Lewis admitting at the start of the evening that his voice was suffering due to a cold. By the end of the first set, he was sounding a little freyed; by the end of the second hour, well rough. (Hope he’s recovered or Aynsley, hope you’re free on Wednesday to return a favour….....?)

It wasn’t just the voice gremlins that were out again; one of Lewis’s strings went, just as he was starting Empty Roads, but he wasn’t sufficiently fazed that he couldn’t just select another guitar and skip to something else. One of those alternate guitars is a beautiful emerald green Gretsch (either a 5435T or 5438T) with Gibson pick-ups, rescued from certain cannibalisation in a guitar shop and with a sweet, warm sound, especially on a take on I Don’t Need No Doctor that waivers between John Mayer & Humble Pie. Later in the second set, a microphone went down, and while Lewis was sorting that, Santa & Nick went off on one of their “jazz” rhythm excursions; always good to hear a solo from Santa, that guy has fast hands, gotta feel for Nick on bass, holding Santa & Lewis together.

Though the room was small, it was packed, 75 maybe 80 shoe-horned in; it gave Lewis the opportunity to connect with everyone in it, and connect he did; he had veryone hanging on every note when his new slow blues number, Broken Heart came to the solo run. Then he made the room bounce toward Thornaby with another new number, a blazing boogie also destined for the new album (and JJJ3). The country-blues of Johnny Cash’s Fulsom Prison Blues was a welcome revisit; Lewis cranking up the tempo and mixing in some fine picking, with tongue-in-cheek Yakkety Axe & Dueling Banjo(s), not quite as fast as Krissy Matthews though

So, end of the night, 2 hours of simple, honest and timesless blues - what more do you want? Don’t think at the start of this, I’m implying Lewis isn’t ready for larger rooms - it’s not that, Lewis’s style and delivery is one that is best when Lewis is in touch with his audience - set him up in the middle of the room (and then check the building’s insurance) and watch him shake the rafters.

In 5 visits, Lewis is making a mark south of the Tweed, on the Wear and the Tees; come on folk on the Humber and Trent, Severn and Thames - time to check this lad out for yourselves.

Mike

Word is, Lewis & the band (no longer Boogie Brothers...?) are due to release studio album #4.

Release party scheduled for Darlington on Oct 22nd. 

Not certain of venue, probably Quaker House, but listen out for some serious Blues Guitar and follow your ears.....

According to those nice folks at ENTS24, One of the 20 hardest working band bands in the UK for 2016 - that is to say, among the most listed shows in different venues, Lewis & the band are at #18.

Topping the chart though, for the 2nd year in succession - Showaddywaddy….

(Shows how old this thread is..... better drop "Boogie Brothers" in favour of plain ol' "Band")