Re: Guitarists' Guitarists or People You Might Want To Check Out if....

I was going to say something about Larry, but held back.  Your observations are pretty accurate, but a bit of a generalization.  I've got some of Jeff Golub's music and my favorite music by LC was when he was in the Crusader's.  Southern Comfort is one of my all time favorite albums.

Crusaders! One of my all time favs!Free As The Wind is my fav album.If you never heard their first 2 are up there too.LC did great work with them.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Curby wrote:

I was going to say something about Larry, but held back.  Your observations are pretty accurate, but a bit of a generalization.  I've got some of Jeff Golub's music and my favorite music by LC was when he was in the Crusader's.  Southern Comfort is one of my all time favorite albums.

On the blues players attempting smooth jazz and the reverse, I guess what comes through when I listen is they're both trying too hard or at times struggling to play what's not natural for them. They can play some of the notes, but they don't flow as naturally as if they were in their own element so to speak. When the players of both genres add some flair from the other (i.e. smooth jazz with some blues notes and bends etc.), then that sounds good, but when a smooth jazz guy tries to play straight blues, or a blues guy tries to play a smooth jazz tune, neither seems to be able to pull it off convincingly enough for me. A marriage of the styles seems to work though.  With Joe being a blues rock guitarist, Pat Travers comes to mind.

Another observation is that instrumental guitarists seem to have a more lyrical melodic approach to their guitar work as though you can hear lyrics or a story being emoted in their notes versus a singer / guitarist who needs to fill a few measures with a solo between verses of vocals. Instrumental guitarists sort of take you somewhere with their guitar playing. Although metal shred guitarists in my mind don't necessarily fit this description. I can't stand flurries of notes just for speed's sake. Not musical to me. Not sure if Yngwie said this or someone comparing them said that B.B. king says more with one note than Yngwie can with a thousand (or something to that effect). Saying something with the guitar rather than 'how many notes can I rip out in this measure' to me is what sets guitarists apart.

Then you have your guitar wizards / virtuosos that you'd think would be happy with their inimitable signature incredible guitar playing that want to instead be known as be singers as in George Benson. Go figure. What bout Chris Cain? Other than I can't stand his voice and his trying to be and sound too much like B.B. King, I like his guitar work.

room335 wrote:

Rumaldo Ortiz (just goes by Rumaldo). He's also the founding member of the melodic rock band Angel Edge. Discovered him while looking up New Mexico Music Award winners for blues. He's won two Best Blues Song awards and also a Best Song - Metal Category when he was doing the rock thing in the 90's. He won Best Blues in 2006, finalist in 2007 (lost to Ryan McGarvey),  and won Best Blues Song again in 2008 (won against Ryan McGarvey).

His Angel Edge page is the first 'friend' at the above linked page. (not allowed to put two links in this post)

Here's the link I couldn't put in the original post. This guy can rock AND play blues, but doesn't mix the two. At least not in the blues tunes on his Rumaldo page.

http://www.myspace.com/angeledgerocks/m … r=featured

I'll add another comment to add a link to Chris Cain's website (the link to three downloads anyway), one of which I recommend a listen to: Drinking Straight Tequila'.

I'll add another comment to add a link to Chris Cain's website (the link to three downloads anyway), one of which I recommend a listen to: Drinking Straight Tequila'.

Chris Cain: http://www.chriscainmusic.com/bluesguitarmp3.html

Under the radar (my radar at least) until this summer is Doug Rappoport. I dont think theres a style he doesnt play in this solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUB5TSvl2FY

room335 wrote:
Curby wrote:

On the blues players attempting smooth jazz and the reverse, I guess what comes through when I listen is they're both trying too hard or at times struggling to play what's not natural for them. They can play some of the notes, but they don't flow as naturally as if they were in their own element so to speak. When the players of both genres add some flair from the other (i.e. smooth jazz with some blues notes and bends etc.), then that sounds good, but when a smooth jazz guy tries to play straight blues, or a blues guy tries to play a smooth jazz tune, neither seems to be able to pull it off convincingly enough for me. A marriage of the styles seems to work though.  With Joe being a blues rock guitarist, Pat Travers comes to mind.

Another observation is that instrumental guitarists seem to have a more lyrical melodic approach to their guitar work as though you can hear lyrics or a story being emoted in their notes versus a singer / guitarist who needs to fill a few measures with a solo between verses of vocals. Instrumental guitarists sort of take you somewhere with their guitar playing. Although metal shred guitarists in my mind don't necessarily fit this description. I can't stand flurries of notes just for speed's sake. Not musical to me. Not sure if Yngwie said this or someone comparing them said that B.B. king says more with one note than Yngwie can with a thousand (or something to that effect). Saying something with the guitar rather than 'how many notes can I rip out in this measure' to me is what sets guitarists apart.

Then you have your guitar wizards / virtuosos that you'd think would be happy with their inimitable signature incredible guitar playing that want to instead be known as be singers as in George Benson. Go figure. What bout Chris Cain? Other than I can't stand his voice and his trying to be and sound too much like B.B. King, I like his guitar work.

Yes, I like a different no. of instrumental guitarists.

You mentioned Yngwie.  Even though he does play a flurry of notes with his different techniques, their is more to Yngwie than just being a guitarist.  I love his compositions.  I posted one of his instrumentals that I really like that he plays on the acoustic guitar.  I am in the minority of Joe fans when it comes to speed.  I think if you play fast or incorporate a flurry of notes for a purpose, then I really enjoy it.  It really depends on who is playing it and what they have to say with it.

Yngwie - Ocean Sonata
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FjEBvexpzE

Also you mentioned George Benson.  I think in the pop world he is known more as a singer, but in the jazz world he is definitely known more as a guitarist.  He was just blessed with not just incredible guitar skills, but an incredible singing talent.  Not just his voice, but knowing how to sing.  And he likes to scat along when he plays his guitar solos.  I think when you sing as good as George, it's hard to only be known as a guitarist.  Cause I love when he sings, meow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCaPno7QChY

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:
room335 wrote:
Curby wrote:

Yes, I like a different no. of instrumental guitarists.

You mentioned Yngwie.  Even though he does play a flurry of notes with his different techniques, their is more to Yngwie than just being a guitarist.  I love his compositions.  I posted one of his instrumentals that I really like that he plays on the acoustic guitar.  I am in the minority of Joe fans when it comes to speed.  I think if you play fast or incorporate a flurry of notes for a purpose, then I really enjoy it.  It really depends on who is playing it and what they have to say with it.

Yngwie - Ocean Sonata
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FjEBvexpzE

Also you mentioned George Benson.  I think in the pop world he is known more as a singer, but in the jazz world he is definitely known more as a guitarist.  He was just blessed with not just incredible guitar skills, but an incredible singing talent.  Not just his voice, but knowing how to sing.  And he likes to scat along when he plays his guitar solos.  I think when you sing as good as George, it's hard to only be known as a guitarist.  Cause I love when he sings, meow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCaPno7QChY

I remember discovering George Benson just before he broke out with singing.Had a couple of his all instruemental albums.He really caught me by suprise how great a singer he is .So I knew him first a a guitarist.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

George was quite the session guitarist back in the day on Blue Note.  I was glad to witness his breakout pop period.  Very underestimated guitarist.

28 (edited by holdemxpert 2013-01-15 17:54:04)

Curby wrote:

George was quite the session guitarist back in the day on Blue Note.  I was glad to witness his breakout pop period.  Very underestimated guitarist.

Of course going full circle to more contemporary musicians, George Benson fosters comparisons to Wes Montgomery, who then leads you to any number of Steely Dan guitarists, most notably in the context of this thread, Jon Herington. Here with his own band in more of a rock/blues mode (sorry if you find the vocals painful..I do!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rPr6OawpiA

I've posted about him before in another thread, but Andy Timmons is worthy of mention here. Here's a few good ones:

http://youtu.be/KaVVZYOvMFY
http://youtu.be/9MTtV7DWcOo
http://youtu.be/HvPRj2bZzZs

holdemxpert wrote:

Under the radar (my radar at least) until this summer is Doug Rappoport. I dont think theres a style he doesnt play in this solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUB5TSvl2FY

Pretty amazing, but seems to be getting under Edgar's skin...

31 (edited by room335 2013-01-15 17:18:36)

"Yes, I like a different no. of instrumental guitarists.

Also you mentioned George Benson.  I think in the pop world he is known more as a singer, but in the jazz world he is definitely known more as a guitarist.  He was just blessed with not just incredible guitar skills, but an incredible singing talent.  Not just his voice, but knowing how to sing.  And he likes to scat along when he plays his guitar solos.  I think when you sing as good as George, it's hard to only be known as a guitarist.  Cause I love when he sings, meow"

Did you check out Chris Cain? Just wondering. Don't like his singing as I mentioned, but like the guitar work (although he's slightly off on some notes - goes sharp or flat in some of his songs)

32 (edited by cathysiler 2013-01-16 01:12:56)

Thanks to 10radio and Tripsy for introducing me to Steve Roux, from The Brass Knuckle Blues Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVxC1te … embedded#!

33 (edited by Rocket 2013-01-16 02:03:53)

...if you are not in confinement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O64xeVxidu4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tei9w0kBPWk

Join IN & Give In To The Fingers Of Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

room335 wrote:

"Yes, I like a different no. of instrumental guitarists.

Also you mentioned George Benson.  I think in the pop world he is known more as a singer, but in the jazz world he is definitely known more as a guitarist.  He was just blessed with not just incredible guitar skills, but an incredible singing talent.  Not just his voice, but knowing how to sing.  And he likes to scat along when he plays his guitar solos.  I think when you sing as good as George, it's hard to only be known as a guitarist.  Cause I love when he sings, meow"

Did you check out Chris Cain? Just wondering. Don't like his singing as I mentioned, but like the guitar work (although he's slightly off on some notes - goes sharp or flat in some of his songs)

Yes I did, thank you.  He is from my neck of the woods in California.  So he does a number of blues festivals and plays around here.   I talked to him a couple of times and he is a very humble and nice man.  I hope you get a chance to see and talk to him.  Very down to earth.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

35 (edited by room335 2020-10-11 22:30:45)

room335 wrote:

Rumaldo Ortiz is the founding member of the melodic rock band Angel Edge. I discovered him while looking up New Mexico Music Award winners for blues. He's won two Best Blues Song awards and also a Best Song - Metal Category when he was doing the rock thing in the 90's winning Bst Metal Song his first entry n 1990 in these awards and he wa getting regular airplay on lcal and her tate rock stations. He won Best Blues in 2006, finalist in 2007 (lost to Ryan McGarvey and vowed vengence the next year 'cause McGarvey dissed him at the awards and sure enough, he won Best Blues Song 2008, beating McGarvey as he said he would)

Full disclosure: I live in New Mexico now, but not a fan of Ryan McGarvey. At least Rumaldo will write / repond to you if you can find his email addy. I don't have it anymore. I just keep up with the N.M. Music Awards (that almost didn't happen this year due to Covid).

2020 Update on Rumaldo Ortiz!. Seems he returned to the N.M. Music Awards (his last entry beating Ryan McGarvey in blues as he intended in 2008), but entered again for one last time in metal music category he says (as told to me by a Greek friend who Rumaldo sent an original Angel Edge Revisted CD that can command upwards of $125.00 Euros for a used mint condition original 2000-2001 issue of which apparently Rumaldo still has over 1000 in his vault - and I have one too tat Rumaldo gave me years ago! you can't get what's on the interactive CD on illegal torrent downloads though.

He also sent one to another guy in Greece that's frieds with the other greek guy and publishes a printed and Internet metalzine / magazine, and hosts a metal music radio Internet show (maybe over the air locally) and they discovered Rumaldo's Angel Edge Revisited (metal) music from a 'quickly DMCA removed' torrent download. Now they're workng on an article on Rumaldo / Angel Edge coming soon. hey shared a radio show stream they did on Rumaldo's CD Angel Edge Revisied and Rumalo's old band:  https://www.mixcloud.com/mercurycloud/c … 15-5-2020/  The presene Chris P plays two songs, gives compliments on the music and alludes to looking further into the band  e future.

Rumaldo won Best Metal Song 2020 and has won his categories four of the only five times he's entered, and in the only event he didn't win, he still made the finals as the guys from Greece explained (from the Q & A w/ Rumaldo). According to what they said, the loss was due to Rumaldo having suffered severe tinintus for three months before he mixed and mastered the tunes, so they werent as good as if his ears were fine, but he still made the finals. That tinnitus affecting his mix was Rumaldo's reasoning.

His 2020 award winning song title is: Temple Of The Elders, a Rush / Iron Maiden - like mystcal / mythical song they say is killer, and Zumaldo did it as a tribute to those bands - especially honoring Neil Peart as it's very drum heavy and Iron Maiden with dual blended but commentary guitar solos  Rumaldo did everything in the song 100% entirely himself (except for drum samples borroweed from Paul Sabu who Rumaldo gave assistant engineer credit to and ose name got ut on the ward for some reason (usuall only the artist and producer get put on the award). The samples were more today's heavier metal sounding, but the song is nowhere to be found on the Internet - like most of Rumaldo's music... He's a very private guy apparently and does no social media at all, just as his Myspace for fans:

https://myspace.com/rumaldoortizangeledge 

https://myspace.com/rumaldoortizangeledge/mixes

He's apparently independently wealthy so doesn't need his music for a living (he's been a millionaire for years now Rumaldo indicated in their Q&A when they asked him about Cvid affectig his career  (btw forgot to say Giannis and Chris P are the Greek guys names. Chris  runs the magazine and radio show). Incidentally although Rumaldo is wealth h des gv to tons of charties cludn to help out of work muicians and says in that Q & A that he "really feels bad for musicians that have to play music or work for or with musicians to get by / put food on the able but who have gotten shut down by that lousy Covid" and piissed that his state's governor is a damned tyrant" I hope I'll be able to check out that magazine article online soon even thoh I alead got a lt of inside scoop  (Rumaldo might provide the new song in mp3 stream for a short time), and maybe get a printed magazine. They said he's pretty much done with music , but is really into smooth jazz these days lke Paul Brown, Jeff Golub who was a fiend of Rumaldo's (RIP) Nils, Norman Bron as syles to comre his plin to, but m tly like Paau Brown, but sad he lked tat Jeff Goub ncluded bues, rock, and smooth jazz style in his music, and had been pannng o do a cruise ship ting with Goub, en e got a rare neurlgca disease, went blind, ad a traggic scare alling into a subwa nd swiped by e rain, and fnally succombed to the disease. While Rumaldo says he's done w/ music they (the Greek guys), still consider his metal music relevent enough in 2020 to warrant an article on him. Giannis says one of his friends has had Angel Edge song All That's Left Is Goodbye for years as his ringtone. Cool to hear Rumaldo's music reached worldwide audiences. Most sellers of his used CD seem to be from Europe, like Gemany a I saw Eba ne hat sold for $125 EU and one thee or $75 Eu at the moment.

There's a website called The Forgotten Scroll where they discuss some of this stuff that I  shared or updated this post with, but it's in Greek: https://www.forgotten-scroll.gr/forum/v … amp;t=2550

Albert Castiglia
Julian Sas
Gene Deer
Eric Steckel
Ghost Town Blues Band
Greg Foresman
Guy Forsyth
Jesse Kinch
Low Society
Samantha Fish
Sean Chambers

Go Raiders, JUST WIN BABY!