Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

BBC2 on Saturday at 10.15 pm

Rolling Stones : Crossfire Hurricane

For 16th Nov - here's a question....what's the significance of Al Martino's Blue Spanish Eyes?

It was the first ever listed UK #1 single back in November 1952. And that's the theme for the first of the night's programmes

9:25pm -  Pop Charts Britannia: 60 Years of the Top 10: Documentary chronicling our ever-changing love affair with the British singles chart.

10:55pm - Sound It Out: Documentary following life in one of the last independent record shops still trading. Believe it's on Teesside....

11:55pm - The Genius of David Bowie: A selection of some of David Bowie's best performances from the BBC archives. (R)

Following on from the above, for Friday 23rd Nov:-

21:00 - 22:00 The Joy of the Single
Documentary about the power of pop's most abiding artefact, the seven inch single.  Not a documentary on unmarried "swingers" then....

22:00 – 23:00 Ultimate Number 1s at the BBC
With the Bee Gees, T-Rex, Donna Summer, John Lennon, Culture Club, Spice Girls and more.

23:00 – 00:00 Love Me Do: The Beatles '62
Stuart Maconie celebrates the 50th anniversary of the release of the Beatles' Love Me Do. (R)

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

93 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-11-19 03:10:37)

Take it then nobody watched on Friday night, or you would have spotted my "deliberate" mistake. The 1st Number One was Al Martino, but the song was Here In My Heart.  :emb

Mike

Sorry, otherwise engaged. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

95 (edited by PSmith1946 2012-11-19 15:54:47)

Although not the usual Friday night fare, the series Rick Stein tastes the blues is being repeated n BBC4. 10pm Tuesday night. Although about food the programme does contain some good scenery and great music. Worth a try if you are fed up of the news. You can salivate at the same time.. lol  big_smile

96 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-11-21 08:35:41)

PSmith1946 wrote:

Although not the usual Friday night fare, the series Rick Stein tastes the blues is being repeated n BBC4. 10pm Tuesday night. Although about food the programme does contain some good scenery and great music. Worth a try if you are fed up of the news. You can salivate at the same time.. lol  big_smile

A feast there, for all the senses - especially if you have a massaging recliner from which to enjoy your viewing....

And speaking of good vibrations; viewing Friday 30th Nov is based round The Beach Boys  (I write all my own stuff...and it shows.... )

8:30pm - Sounds of The Seventies - Disco special

9:00pm - Beach Boys: Doin' It Again - Behind the scenes of the 2012 50th Anniversary tour (new)

9:55pm - Beach Boys: Live At Knebworth - Highlights from their June 1980 appearence (new)

11:05 - Legends: Dennis Wilson; The Real Beach Boy - covering the life of Dennis Wilson up to his tragic drowning at the age of 39 in 1983

12:05 - Guitar heroes @ The BBC

I thank you.

Mike

97 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-11-30 03:28:39)

As Wooders hinted on London Gig Guide Thread, BBC4 on 7th Dec may well be worth tuning in for; but only if you haven't just been out and bought a certain DVD.

20:30 – 21:00
Sounds of the 70s 2Rock 'n' Roll Revisited - Get It On
Featuring T-Rex, Alvin Stardust, Meatloaf and other rock 'n' roll legends of the 70s. (R)

21:00 – 22:00
AC/DC Live at River Plate
With Whole Lotta Rosie, Highway to Hell, Back in Black and You Shook Me All Night Long.

22:00 – 23:00
Legends
How to put on an Iron Maiden tour and what goes on behind the scenes at a show. (R)

23:00 – 00:00
Guitar Heroes at the BBCPart VI
With the Who, the Faces, Focus, Davy Graham, Ralph McTell, Nils Lofgren and Ted Nugent. (R)

Might actually be at home this Friday to be able to watch this lot....

Mike

Can't we have an evening of Free? That band deserves more...

DaveWammbarro wrote:

+1 definitely. Totally overlooked. sad

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Ditto. Been playing them all afternoon.

I think the problem is the dearth of good video that's available. I have a 2 DVD set but a lot of it is from TOTP or not great quality. The music is top quality of course.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Wooders wrote:

I think the problem is the dearth of good video that's available. I have a 2 DVD set but a lot of it is from TOTP or not great quality. The music is top quality of course.

Phil

I think that everything captured is available on the Free Forever dvd. I am sure there was a programme about it on BBC a few years ago.

Kenny wrote:
Wooders wrote:

Phil

I think that everything captured is available on the Free Forever dvd. I am sure there was a programme about it on BBC a few years ago.

Absolutely love that Manchester Granada footage. That is special music right there. Supreme tones.

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Free at the Isle of Wight occassionally pops up on Sky Arts 1.

December 14th - The name's Bond; Brooke Bond.....

Yeah, settle down with a hot cuppa; "shaken, not stirred", of course; for this evening's offerings - a James Bond music night: from the Calypso "Three Blind Mice" from Dr. No to Adele's Skyfall offering....

20:00 – 20:10 Sounds of the Seventies Roxy Music, Queen and Elton John
Roxy Music operate their Ladytron, Queen are Killer and Elton John is back. (R)

20:10 – 21:00 Omnibus John Barry: Licence to Thrill
Documentary about John Barry, the most successful film score composer of the 20th century. (R)

21:00 – 22:30 James Bond 50th Anniversary Gala Concert
Carl Davis and the Philharmonia Orchestra play theme tunes from the James Bond films.

22:30 – 23:30 ... Sings James Bond
With Tina Turner, Dame Shirley Bassey, Matt Monro, Adele, Sheena Easton, Garbage and A-ha.

23:30 – 00:25 Omnibus John Barry: Licence to Thrill
Documentary about John Barry, the most successful film score composer of the 20th century. (R)

Will have to miss this, at the time I will be flying/arriving at Fort Myers to see JB the following evening. I think that will get me over the disappointment of missing it. He He He... lol

Hang on Mike, how about a bump for this evening's rockfest on Beeb4, excluding the Sounds of the 70s mush, of course.

I've not seen the AC/DC Live at River Plate DVD yet, so that's something to look forward to and the video of the Iron Maiden far east tour is hugely entertaining stuff and well worth catching.

I still don't get the Guitar Heroes at the BBC series. In my opinion a lot of the acts don't have a guitar hero. When are they going to include Joe's appearance on Jools' show?

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

108 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-12-07 08:37:19)

Wooders wrote:

Hang on Mike, how about a bump for this evening's rockfest on Beeb4, excluding the Sounds of the 70s mush, of course.

I've not seen the AC/DC Live at River Plate DVD yet, so that's something to look forward to and the video of the Iron Maiden far east tour is hugely entertaining stuff and well worth catching.

I still don't get the Guitar Heroes at the BBC series. In my opinion a lot of the acts don't have a guitar hero. When are they going to include Joe's appearance on Jools' show?

Phil

You're right Phil - AC/DC and Iron Maiden on the same bill - a metal-heads dream ticket.

I'm just gobsmacked by the previous post from Mr. Smith there, flying to Florida for an evening of JB while missing an evening of some other JB at home.....

Mike