Re: Afterglow

gary wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Jason's comments about Afterglow "tour". For information only :

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news … bonamassa/

I do think I read that Joe gave his blessings for the chaps to tour with another guitar player.Or at least said to GH.There was a theead here a while ago about the very subject.You never know.Might be ok.Might not.

Joe: pick me!! LOL

Listened to it 3 times, just not feeling it.  Loved 1 and 2.

Two basic problems, vocals and production. 

The overall sound is fatiguing.  Too slick and digital.  This record sounds like digital cut and paste.

There is no space on this record, no room ambience.  The second Bcc had a much better feel to it.

Glass shattering vocals get old quick.

Have g people play live and then chopping them into bite size pieces and rearranging them so it sounds perfect is not music.

Joe always plays well,  but you would not know it.

Next time, try taking more than 2 weeks to make an album.  Afterglow sounds like they mailed it in.

XLK9 wrote:

Listened to it 3 times, just not feeling it.  Loved 1 and 2.

Two basic problems, vocals and production. 

The overall sound is fatiguing.  Too slick and digital.  This record sounds like digital cut and paste.

There is no space on this record, no room ambience.  The second Bcc had a much better feel to it.

Glass shattering vocals get old quick.

Have g people play live and then chopping them into bite size pieces and rearranging them so it sounds perfect is not music.

Joe always plays well,  but you would not know it.

Next time, try taking more than 2 weeks to make an album.  Afterglow sounds like they mailed it in.

I would have to disagree xlk9.Dont hear what you hear at all.Maybe im just an ordinary listener.Sounds greatto me just in production.Mailing it in?Dont know how anyone can tell that by listening to this  album.I mean the songs are all well written and some great band playing all over the place.I would think if someone had a preconcieved notion that one should take weeks and weeks to make an album good,then 2 weeks couldnt possibly work.I look at Joe's albums,they are done very quickly,and are pretty good to me.It was said here that 2 took less time than AG in the studio,so there goes that theory.In the end if you dont like Afterglow thats cool.For me,its great.Cant stop playing it.I was worried that I wouldnt like it because there were some others here that feel like you do.But im happy that for me,it has been a joy to listen to.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I converted my brother-in-law to Bonamania, quite some time ago.

Though I've had Afterglow on my "wish list" for a while, I finally picked up a copy while out at my sister's place for Thanksgiving.  Picked my nephew up from his "Black Friday" marathon overnight shift, from 11:45 PM Turkey Day, until 11:45 AM Friday...and while waiting for him to clock out, I went looking for Joe B in their CD aisles, even though I own his entire catalog.  Zilch, but there were 3 copies of Afterglow.  Two, when I left.

My nephew wasn't impressed, but my BIL dug it.  And I'm thinking it's a nice addition to the BCC collection.  No bad cuts, IMO.  Really like "Confessor", "Cry Freedom", and "Common Man".

Play like you've worked at it, and don't worry about sounding like your influences.  You can't cheat on them, or your practice, anyway.  If you've worked hard at your skill, your audience will know it.

I'm thinking the bad reactions of some are all Glenn. He is hard to take for many and this is his through and through. He wrote the songs and he sang the leads for the most part. If you don't like Glenn or his style, you won't like Afterglow much either.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

222 (edited by Forever Young 2012-11-25 21:33:25)

RickB wrote:

I'm thinking the bad reactions of some are all Glenn. He is hard to take for many and this is his through and through. He wrote the songs and he sang the leads for the most part. If you don't like Glenn or his style, you won't like Afterglow much either.
Rick

Though there are many who do appreciate the brilliance of Glenn. I think a lot of people here just want a simple easy style of music/vocals. Glenn Hughes was never and will never be that. He is extreme from all ends of the spectrum and all points in between. The best rock was always about extremes, and never about laying back and playing it safe. Glenn is all about pouring it out 100%.

Afterglow is an amazing album! This is the kind of rock this older guy wants to hear. It really takes me back to another time. I love what Joe does on his own. I really do wish that he'd devote at least a little more time to this great band. That said, I'm grateful for the amazing music they have given us.

Forever Young wrote:
RickB wrote:

Rick

Though there are many who do appreciate the brilliance of Glenn. I think a lot of people here just want a simple easy style of music/vocals. Glenn Hughes was never and will never be that. He is extreme from all ends of the spectrum and all points in between. The best rock was always about extremes, and never about laying back and playing it safe. Glenn is all about pouring it out 100%.

Afterglow is an amazing album! This is the kind of rock this older guy wants to hear. It really takes me back to another time. I love what Joe does on his own. I really do wish that he'd devote at least a little more time to this great band. That said, I'm grateful for the amazing music they have given us.

Great post Forever Young!! I fully agree

Marcos wrote:
Forever Young wrote:
RickB wrote:

Rick

Great post Forever Young!! I fully agree

Yes I third that FY!

Your rock candy baby

Yeah, me too. I'm a big fan. He sings from the heart and lets it rip but a lot of folks don't get it. When I heard them play Mistreated at the first gig BCC did in Riverside for Joe's encore, it was a time machine back to the golden years. My mind was thoroughly blown. Joe got down on the lead and just killed it. Glenn left pieces of his soul on the stage 'cause he was singing his life and the hair stood up on my neck. A shining moment in old school Rock!
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I will take Afterglow over the new Van Halen album.Not that I dislike the new VH.Afterglow just does it for me more so than any recent release by a 70,s band.Old school.I like Rush's new one,but I will still take AG.Just hits my musical bullseye.

Your rock candy baby

227 (edited by mightyduck 2012-11-28 18:29:36)

Glenn`s voice is an intrument on its own and yes he does like to show how good and versatile he is, like any musician who has the gift would do.

Joe is where he is now because he can play the blues and rock in such a way that is so beautiful and intense. Would he be where he is now if he hadn`t showcase his solo mastery over the years, I don`t think so. Same for Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy on drums, they are superstars because they let themselves go behind the kit. Glenn is a strange bird, from another era, but give him a mike and he`ll make you go through all kinds of emotion (even rage for some, lol). 

After listening to Celebration Day almost non stop for a week now, BCC could really take advantage of this revitalisation of the 70`s sound and groove. Timing couldn`t be better...If only...

RickB wrote:

Rick

I think though some of the complaints were about Production also, and that was not Glenn.

Now I adore Glenn Hughes, as he will be one of my top singers of all-time.  I do understand how his style of singing can shatter some peoples ears. 

But what I am having a hard time understanding is how people don't like his song-writing style.  "He wrote the songs"?  And what in particular is wrong with how he writes?  I have been a long-time fan and I can't even figure his song-writing except he writes a lot of personal feelings in his songs.  But other than that, I don't get what is wrong with what he wrote?  I always thought he wrote a diverse range of music.  I can't listen to a song and say, oh Glenn Hughes wrote that.  I can't really distinguish what he wrote without his name being on it.

So please, give me a clue what is wrong with his song-writing?

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:
RickB wrote:

Rick

I think though some of the complaints were about Production also, and that was not Glenn.

Now I adore Glenn Hughes, as he will be one of my top singers of all-time.  I do understand how his style of singing can shatter some peoples ears. 

But what I am having a hard time understanding is how people don't like his song-writing style.  "He wrote the songs"?  And what in particular is wrong with how he writes?  I have been a long-time fan and I can't even figure his song-writing except he writes a lot of personal feelings in his songs.  But other than that, I don't get what is wrong with what he wrote?  I always thought he wrote a diverse range of music.  I can't listen to a song and say, oh Glenn Hughes wrote that.  I can't really distinguish what he wrote without his name being on it.

So please, give me a clue what is wrong with his song-writing?

Absolutely nothing! He is a great songwriter. I think that you hit on it though. He really does go very deeply into his inner feelings and more and more of it is about his spirituality. He really means it when he is singing this stuff and there simply are people who can't handle that. That is a fact. They want music to mask these feelings, not make you face them.

The first time I saw him live was at BB Kings in NYC back in 07. I was really getting into his stuff and it was rare to see him state side so I went. It was mind blowing! I simply couldn't believe how great this guy was and what a natural he is. I've seen almost everyone too and this guy is easily at the top of this list. The thing that really got me was the genuine emotion that poured out of him with every note, every move. He did an old song going back to his Purple days that he wrote called This Time Around. It was just him singing with electric piano behind him. About half way through people were choking back tears, some busting out full on. It was like nothing I'd ever seen or experienced before. After the show I was talking to Glenn and he said that he does it different than most in that it's an in the moment vocal performance and that most singers basically do the same thing every single night. He is right. It becomes a going through the motions thing and clearly lacks that genuine emotion. You can't fake that. You don't bring people to tears faking it.

But yeah, a great songwriter and not just one style. Many styles done very well.

Jane H. wrote:

so flipping in love with this cd

Me Too!Im telling you it been playing since I got it alomst every day.Lest I be a herritic and say its my fav BCC disc!

Your rock candy baby

gary wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

Me Too!Im telling you it been playing since I got it alomst every day.Lest I be a herritic and say its my fav BCC disc!

You are indeed!!! Shame on you!!!

Nah it's awesome!!

Lovin it here too.

Forever Young wrote:
gary wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

You are indeed!!! Shame on

Nah it's awesome!!

Lovin it here too.

Afterglow aka AG aka All Good!

Your rock candy baby

Another positive (to say the least) Review :

http://twitpic.com/bhbwaj

Kenny wrote:

Another positive (to say the least) Review :

http://twitpic.com/bhbwaj

Yeah they've been posting a bunch over at GH's site and they have almost all been really positive.