Re: Afterglow

Its amazing how people hear things so differently. I think this thing sounds great!

Its a grower too. I liked it at first but am loving it now.

hulldanfan wrote:

I have waited a few days to post in order to give this a few listens and I have to say, rarely have I been as disappointed by a new release as with Afterglow.

To me, this sounds like a Hughes/Shirley solo album - with the worst aspects of both.

I think the songwriting is a level below BCC2 and I just have to think that Kevin has managed to rip all the bollocks from what is supposed to be a classic/hard rock album.

Jason and Derek perform admirably, but at the end of it all, the rhythm section does not make or break an album of this type.  Its down to the songs, production, frontman and guitars.

I really worry that Joe doesnt have the edge and aggression in his playing to actually do this sort of music.  Maybe he has, but if that is the case, what is Shirley doing?.  Theres little or no power, energy or excitement coming through.   

They say that the 3rd album is make or break for a band.  ?????

I went back to one and two today and it is scary how much fire there is there...and how this feels like it's lost in space.
It is a solid album above what is out there..but what it could have been...the potential.
I used to love all Kevin Shirley stuff...but there has been some real oddballs in the past three years...He also needs to quit making what he wants an album to be for his own pleasure...because sometimes it saps the very life and soul out a record...

Well I did the old fashioned thing and visited my local record store this morning to buy it.

The songs are not so "instant" this time round but as a stand-alone album its great.

best BCC cd imho, great songs all the way through, musically more solid, wonderful lyrics. Glenn never sounding better on any recording, Sherinian still cruelly under-used  though same as jon lord on whitesnake albums. the album in time will be lauded as a modern classic

95 (edited by mightyduck 2012-10-29 15:43:57)

Roger62 wrote:

best BCC cd imho, great songs all the way through, musically more solid, wonderful lyrics. Glenn never sounding better on any recording, Sherinian still cruelly under-used  though same as jon lord on whitesnake albums. the album in time will be lauded as a modern classic

100% agree with your statement about Derek being under used. I found myself having to pay attention to hear his playing because he`s so low in the mix. Don`t understand why he`s so not there, we`re talking about a world class musician here.

After several more spins, my favorite is still The Circle.

Wow. Some conflicting views on here already. I haven't ordered it yet. Thought I'd let all the forum reviews wash over me. Very disappointed to hear that Derek has not been brought further forward. but then I thought that on the other 2 smd since I've heard them a squillion times I can hear every note of his anyway....but I know what you mean.

Joe thought his playing was under par in that interview he gave. But the bar is set pretty high for him anyway.

I'll get it ordered now and see how it grabs me..............but it will 'cos I'm very biased.

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

I think Joe played as a guitarist in a band should, its not all about guitar solos you know. I was pleased with what he played on Afterglow, if anything the drums are soaring in the mixes of the songs. The songs are more melodic, The Circle and the title track are perfect examples of this.

Roger62 wrote:

I think Joe played as a guitarist in a band should, its not all about guitar solos you know.

Absolutely. The problem is that some solos are totally unrelated from the context and from what a rock album should be.
Listen to the guitar tone solo in Big Train or to licks in Afterglow. Wtf is that? I thought I bought a rock album?
And Cry Freedom? Is it a rock song? Not in my book.
Many solos are shred improvisation and not structured and organic solos. Sounds almost like Joe was just warming up.
Some songs are good but overall the album is quite boring.
Def they should have needed to stay together more time to think more to what this album should have been.

bongano wrote:
Roger62 wrote:

I think Joe played as a guitarist in a band should, its not all about guitar solos you know.

Absolutely. The problem is that some solos are totally unrelated from the context and from what a rock album should be.
Listen to the guitar tone solo in Big Train or to licks in Afterglow. Wtf is that? I thought I bought a rock album?
Many solos are shred improvisation and not structured and organic solos. Sounds almost like Joe was just warming up.
Def they should have needed to stay together more time to think more to what this album should have been.

The solo in Big Train is old school Blackmore my friend. Tone and all. Cry Freedom not a rock song? You've got to be kidding! It's a Free/Bad Co vibe all over it. Are you serious? And boring? This album is anything but boring.
It seems that you had in your head what it should sound like and its what THEY wanted it to sound like. This is a great album straight up. Its pure classic hard rock.

100 (edited by gary 2012-10-29 21:21:19)

Forever Young wrote:
bongano wrote:
Roger62 wrote:

The solo in Big Train is old school Blackmore my friend. Tone and all. Cry Freedom not a rock song? You've got to be kidding! It's a Free/Bad Co vibe all over it. Are you serious? And boring? This album is anything but boring.
It seems that you had in your head what it should sound like and its what THEY wanted it to sound like. This is a great album straight up. Its pure classic hard rock.

I was going to go out and buy the album old school at a retail store today.After reading reviews here it burst my Afterglow excitment bubble.I have hope now Forever Young.I hope there are more positive reviews here as I need to be taken back to the proverial waterhole to drink some BCC kool aid again.The reviews I have read by online review sites have all been good.So trying to figure why the love lost.
It pauses me to think that I might not like it.I have been waiting with so much anticipation'with the possibility that this is the end and  all thrown In.Somebody give me my BCC mojo back!Jane help me,I need a BCC lifeline!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

mightyduck wrote:
Roger62 wrote:

100% agree with your statement about Derek being under used. I found myself having to pay attention to hear his playing because he`s so low in the mix. Don`t understand why he`s so not there, we`re talking about a world class musician here.

After several more spins, my favorite is still The Circle.

I was thinking the same thing about Derek too, until I noticed that a lot of parts I thought were rhythm guitar were actually keyboard/organ.  Derek has a tone on this album that is very guitar like with some of the overtones and dirt in his sound.  There are several places on this record where the guitar and the keyboards are just grinding away with swirling dirt and grit.  I really like sounds that Derek uses on this album.

gary wrote:
Forever Young wrote:
bongano wrote:

I was going to go out and buy the album old school at a retail store today.After reading reviews here it burst my Afterglow excitment bubble.I have hope now Forever Young.I hope there are more positive reviews here as I need to be taken back to the proverial waterhole to drink some BCC kool aid again.The reviews I have read by online review sites have all been good.So trying to figure why the love lost.
It pauses me to think that I might not like it.I have been waiting with so much anticipation'with the possibility that this is the end and  all thrown In.Somebody give me my BCC mojo back!Jane help me,I need a BCC lifeline!

I know people have different opinions and like different things about music, but for the life of me I can't understand or don't see most of the criticism of Afterglow in this thread?  Afterglow reminds me of the time I spent in the early 80's (1980 - 1981) in my friends basement listening to his older brothers 70's rock albums.  I for one love the diversity of songs on this album.  As of right now Afterglow is at the top of my best album of 2012 list.  I love the moodiness in the songs, some people have described it as dark. I don't know that I have a better description other than it takes me back to a place and a time that for me was cool.

I like it. A lot! To each his own.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I have only listened to the albumn a couple of times and it does sound like a GH rock album more than BCC. The album would be oustanding if it had any of Joe's creativity as a song writer both individualy and as a writing partner to Glenn.

To me the BCC magic is Glenn and Joe working toghether!

On this album there was no time it seems for joint writing sessions as on previous albums and I think the album suffers because of this. Joe's solos sound to me like somone who just got back from a long tour and long flight from South America, it pains me to say that as  I am a great admirer of his work. I do honestly believe that Joe is now overworking and a less is more approach would be cool! Joe is a great song writer I want more Joe songs please. Got to give it to GH though vocals are pure rock class, love the album but I feel it could have been a real classic with more Joe input.

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
gary wrote:
Forever Young wrote:

I know people have different opinions and like different things about music, but for the life of me I can't understand or don't see most of the criticism of Afterglow in this thread?  Afterglow reminds me of the time I spent in the early 80's (1980 - 1981) in my friends basement listening to his older brothers 70's rock albums.  I for one love the diversity of songs on this album.  As of right now Afterglow is at the top of my best album of 2012 list.  I love the moodiness in the songs, some people have described it as dark. I don't know that I have a better description other than it takes me back to a place and a time that for me was cool.

You nailed it here! It is that kind of rock for sure. It takes me back too man! This is the only place where I've read such negativity about it. Not sure what that's all about.

As to the Derek thing, it is correct that he is MUCH more prominent in the riffage department making it sound thicker. It is classic Purple in the way Jon Lord did it back in the 70's with that thick distorted sound.

gary wrote:
Forever Young wrote:
bongano wrote:

Gary, buy it! Its a great listen. Its a bit more complex than 1 and 2 thus requiring more time for most. I suspect that some may just not "get it" the first couple spins and they form their opinion based on that. There are some great songs here. Not a clunker amongst them. Great melodies, hooks, riffs etc.

Personally I enjoyed the first BCC album, only listened to the second a couple of times (as it just didn't hook me) and listened to Afterglow once yesterday and won't bother again. While I did enjoy some of the solo's from Joe, the song's didn't pull me back in. I will rather enjoy listening to the Gov't Mule Georgia Box set until Joe's next solo project.

108 (edited by Forever Young 2012-10-30 09:04:20)

paul_za wrote:

Personally I enjoyed the first BCC album, only listened to the second a couple of times (as it just didn't hook me) and listened to Afterglow once yesterday and won't bother again. While I did enjoy some of the solo's from Joe, the song's didn't pull me back in. I will rather enjoy listening to the Gov't Mule Georgia Box set until Joe's next solo project.

Again, great albums often require more than one spin! Thats a shame because 2 was a bit better than 1 in my opinion but it took a few listens to reveal it's greatness. You never gave it a chance. This one is even more in that vein. I don't know. I guess I'm trying to convince someone who doesn't care to care and there's no point. Nobody who cares about a band gives their new work one listen and that's it. I do hope you enjoy the other stuff you mentioned.