Re: Joe's Big Reverbicated/delayed tone.

I bet his tone is a big reason why a lot of new people sign up here...if you unstick it then they probably won't get a chance to see all this information easily

^^ This.

Yep - agree with the above.  Guitarists (new members and old) will dip back into this thread over time to get a reminder.  The real problem is that the directory is full of threads that have nothing to do with "Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear" - it's become a general gear discussion place.  Consequentially to find stuff it needs a lengthy search.

The answer perhaps is to have two new directories - "General Gear Talk" and "Joe's How To's" and re-arrange threads like this one accordingly.

Gibson LP '89 Custom * Gibson LP '04 Classic * Gibson JB LP Studio * Fender 50th Ann. Deluxe Strat * Gibson Explorer Pro * Epiphone Korina SG * Michael Kelly Patriot Premium * Ibanez 105NT Artcore Custom * Takamine acoustics * Fender Blues Deville 4x10" * Marshall DSL100 and DSL50 * Marshall 1960A * Laney LH55 * Bugera V55HD * Bugera 212VT * Marshall 1912 * Roland Cube 60

Just getting around to re-sticking this topic. This was a frequently asked question and relevant since Joe replied to this. I tried to search and it didn't show up so It took me a little time to find it but I think it applies even today to Joe's tone.

HEP ME! HEP ME!! LOL I'm playing an LP Traditional with 57 classic/57 Classic plus through an Eg Renegade 112. Going in front through a T Rex Tone bug OD with a T Rex TapTone on the loop. I feel MILES away from the tone and, after trying a couple different pedals (Tube Screamer, etc..) I'm starting to think that this amp won't get me there. Any ideas? Maybe a tube mod or speaker swap? Am I destined to hunt down a Marshall I can afford? HEP ME!! I'm stumped. LOL BTW, My fiance and I flew out to see Joe in Geneva this year (she's a Captain with United, and was flying there, so it was a free flight AND hotel!!) Best show I've ever seen!!!

60 (edited by helrazr84 2012-05-25 19:13:36)

I wouldn't entertain the thought of mods or speaker swaps.. I never played any Egnater except for my tweaker. First of all, Joe has various tones when you look at all of his albums. Some raw, some refined but yes all similar. If you're using just one amp, you should have it set cleanish with some breakup and then hit it with a ts808 or fulltone fulldrive 2 with the pedals gain high. I'd keep the treble lower on the amp and bass to taste but don't CRANK the mids. His tone is mid heavy but when you push the mids past half on an amp you start to get a spikey sound, so don't get crazy. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get closer to his sound with the Renegade with a little more toying around.

And people always trump the "you gotta get his hands" comments, true most of it is Joe himself, but you can get in the ballpark. -Seth

Thanks, Seth. Dropping the treble to almost nothing and dropping the mids helped a lot. The Tubescreamer wasn't doing it for me, but the TRex is getting close. I'm not looking to clone Joe, but to get into that tonal zone of his and Eric Johnson. I'm finding a little adjustment goes a long way on the gain settings, too. And you were dead on re: the mids settings, and that 'spikey' sound grates on me worse than my ex-wife! LOL Thanks for the input.

I found these:

Here is a much larger and better resolution of the "Vulgar Display of Power - Shield of Dreams" illustration than was previously posted:
http://i51.tinypic.com/j97tag.jpg

Illustrated setup of pedals:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg529/sc … es=landing

photos w/description:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cz9To5JXsNo/S … _Setup.jpg

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Can anyone tell me what Joes set up is now?  I've seen all the rig rundowns but last night I saw him play live and he had 3 Marshall heads and cabinets.  I thought he sounded got on his CDs/DVDs but live is amazing...his voice too.  Thanks.

gtr5150 wrote:

Can anyone tell me what Joes set up is now?  I've seen all the rig rundowns but last night I saw him play live and he had 3 Marshall heads and cabinets.  I thought he sounded got on his CDs/DVDs but live is amazing...his voice too.  Thanks.

That, according to reports from the Asia tour, was a rentarig setup and one of the DSL's was just a spare for insurance in case one went down. So what you heard was his mini pedal rig into two DSL's running his typical stereo setup.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Thanks RickB.  Last night was Joe's US Tour start in Honolulu, HI.  His first trip to Hawaii.  Absolutely amazing.  I've been to many concerts, but his tone he gets from his LP thru this stereo setup had me in disbelief.  He used his "Batman" LP a lot...not sure if it was his real one or one the Collector's Choice.  I've read he doesn't bring his 59 bursts anyone over seas.  Hopefully, he comes back to Hawaii.  Aloha.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

The best dumble style amp  have run across is the a amp that I use in europe and will have in the states later this month.  Its called a Twinkleland and its made by Peter VanWeelden in Holland.  Simply a stunning amp.  The Two Rock has more of a high gain Eric Johnson thing.. Alot of people rave about the clean sound about those.. I think there is something wrong with mine cause it has no clean headroom.. The reason I havent sent it back to get serviced is that I really like it the way it is..  The fuchs is a combination of the the two amps I just described.  All very good, very articulate and very direct.  They are good a showcasing all my mistakes.  Like playing a acoustic guitar in a outside way.. thanks Joe Bonamassa

hi joe!
i´d be so interested in your thoughts about jay mitchels´ statements in this thread here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std … -rigs.html
it´s about stereo, wet/dry-systems etc...basically in the end he says, he would not recommend any other than mono-setups for live use with bigger stereo-pa systems...he says wet/dry rigs are great for yourself on stage or in very small clubs without any pa, but for big venues he´d go mono...
so, since, if i understand you right - you´re really panning your two amps hard left and hard right...what do you think about that? can you tell us your thoughts on that...?
thanks a lot,
rudi

Pardon my ignorance, but who's Jay Mitchell?

68 (edited by rudomat 2012-10-24 02:26:14)

synchu wrote:

don´t know much about him....he seems to be guitarist, axe fx user, and , as he said, designed loudspeakers and electronics for IMAX theatres...

(>That is how I avoided the problem for all audience members in IMAX theaters when I designed the loudspeakers and electronics that have been used in those venues since ca. 1992...)

69 (edited by rudomat 2012-11-04 14:51:19)

synchu wrote:

seems he designed the new atomic wedges...

see... http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth … ht=cobbler

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey everybody....
          Heres how you do the delay thing.. 1st ( Jim your right) you need a wet and a delay amp.. Preferably two different kinds of overdrive.  ex.Marshall/lFender or Marshall / Dumble..  Those are the two I use..  One side ( Marshall) put a DD-3 with all knobs set to 12 oclock, you may have to tweek them depending on the unit itself.. I have 6 DD-3s and they all sound a little different..Keeley makes a good version with a analog switch thats my current fav.  Next take your Fender/ Dumble style amp use a out board reverb (ex Boss digital reverb or old fender spring) or if your amp has reverb so much the better. Disclaimer: the old Fender springs are a constant battle to keep working.. They sound great but are the crutch of my existence right now.. I carry 3, two in the trailer and one on the bus.  Maybe one works right on any given day.. maybe...  So delay on one side reverb on the other.  This makes it all naturally separate both on stage and in the house..  Next is the most imortant thing.  The Delay must be run through the effects loop..  Running a delay in front the amp is extremely difficult to handle.  It runs away from you and its hard to control.  The effects loop is the only answer..  Now as far as effects loops are concerned.  Standard Marshall ones wired in series are the best..  Stay away from the ones wired parallel with all the knobs and controls and switches. They are way too much work and render poor results.. The rest is personal taste.. more subtle or wet or inbetween is up to you.. Its also important to realize that this is not my original recipe, its Eric Johnson's circa 1988.   Got to give credit were its due. Lots of racking my brain trying to figure that one out.     Thanks Joe Bonamassa

hi joe!
can you tell me...do you pan the two amps hard left and right foh? isn´t that a problem in large venues...?
thanks a lot!

71 (edited by cragginshred 2013-03-11 22:17:03)

I have a question about the delay on one side and reverb on the other.    I am currently running no fx out of a 5150 III 50w head  dry to 2  2x12 cabs then line out to and Axe FXII to two Rcf monitors for a wet signal. I was thinking of removing the reverb from the wet side and putting a pedal in the loop of the head to have the traditional cabs with reverb and the monitors wet with delay and whatever else I want to run.   Thoughts?

I guess since you're running mono, that's about the only way to get some separation of effects. I personally never liked having a completely dry cab with ALL the effects coming out of another. Just didn't suit me. It never all blended nicely to my ears.

I think what you're suggesting by adding a reverb in your effects loop with the delay coming thru monitors will sound better.

I always set my reverb with a longer decay but with a lower volume so when I'm not using a delay on the other amp, I don't have one amp soaking wet with a huge reverb sound throwing the overall sound off balance.