Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

BansheeUK wrote:

Hmm not so much North v South, just I'm too tight to part with good money to trail all the way down there, to what may be an over-priced venue, where the beer certainly will be (average round here is £2.50 per pint), the probable expence of an overnight stop.

Its a little known fact, steel guitar strings were invented up here when two lads from Durham found a 5p coin.

I'm with you on that london thing.Over in West Cumbria our beer's on a par,pricewise-can you imagine going from a working men's club to one of them wine bars and not getting change from a tenner for two pints?! wink I get the guitar string thing too....:)

Come on you Blades!

idolbone wrote:

I'll endeavour to sky+ em and copy to dvd for anyone interested?

I received your shipment and am deeply in your debt. That is a fine set of musical history. I'm only starting to work my way through it.
Thanks so much Idolbone!
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Friday June 8th - Looks like we're moving into the McClaren/Westwood punk phase....

9pm - Punk Britannia Pt2 1976 - 1978
10 pm - Punk Britannia at The BBC - another "clip-show", so probably Buzzcocks, Joy Division and early Jam from Rock Goes To College
11:30 - Who's Poly Styrene? Arena special from 1978, profiling the late Punk priestess
12:10 am - Synth Britannia What's the bets, Tubway Army, hopefully John Foxx era Ultravox and some Throbbing Gristle

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Caught some of last week's shows; the profile of TV Smith & The Adverts was interesting - anyone remember their hit - Gary Gilmore's Eyes. The main contributor to the programme was a blast from the past, especially to former Sounds readers - Atilla The Stockbroker.

So, Friday June 15th, looks like Punk is fizzling out and they're building up for what should be approaching Glastonbury judging by the scheduling for the night:-

9:00pm - Punk Britannia - Post Punk 1978 - 81 (Gang of Four, Scritti Politti, Pop Group)
10:00pm - Glastonbury After Hours (new) Julian Temple documentary looking at "alternate" side of Glasto
11:15pm - Top Of The Pops 1977 Looking at the music scene that year.
12:15am - Radiohead at Glastonbury 1997

Mike

59 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-06-11 04:22:54)

BansheeUK wrote:

Friday June 8th - Looks like we're moving into the McClaren/Westwood punk phase....

9pm - Punk Britannia Pt2 1976 - 1978
10 pm - Punk Britannia at The BBC - another "clip-show", so probably Buzzcocks, Joy Division and early Jam from Rock Goes To College
11:30 - Who's Poly Styrene? Arena special from 1978, profiling the late Punk priestess
12:10 am - Synth Britannia What's the bets, Tubway Army, hopefully John Foxx era Ultravox and some Throbbing Gristle

Mike

Don't know if any of you have been watching these shows, especially the Punk Britannia documentaries; nostalgia for some, re-caps what some of us missed out on by way of being "out-in-the-sticks", but recomended viewing for anyone on here under 30. You might not like the music, but the spirit..... exciting times.

Had to laugh though - The Jam getting slated for "tuning-up"....

Mike

PS - don't know if it's just me, but these days, is John Cooper Clark looking like the anti-Jimmy Saville?

60 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-06-15 02:41:23)

Well, I'd have expected BBC4 to have scheduled some more Glastonbury highlights for June 15th, especially with there being no Glasto this year - will somebody please tell the rain that.....

Instead, we're getting a night of Bowie.

9:00pm - David Bowie & The Story of Ziggy Stardust (new)
10:00pm - The Genius of David Bowie (new)
11:00pm - Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders from Mars
12:30am - 1:30am - Bowie At The BBC

Same evening, people with SKY Arts 1 might want to set their recording devices; through the afternoon they're broadcasting classics from Isle Of Wight 1970 in preparation for their coverage of this year's event.

1:40 pm - ELP
2:55pm - Jethro Tull

4:25pm - Blue Wild Angel - Jimmi Hendrix
6:00pm - 12:00am - Coverage of IoW 2012

Mike

PS - getting back to the rain - heard that Blues on the farm fest has been postponed 'til September. Might be an idea anyone in the UK venturing out for an outdoor do over the next couple of weeks to check beforehand. Think the rain is peeved that there's no Glasto to target.

After punk and other rubbish for a couple of weeks, tonight moves on to Black Sabbeth, Ozzy Ozbourne, then to heavy metal bands including Judas Priest,Iron Maiden etc. All starts at a soggy 9pm.

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

PSmith1946 wrote:

After punk and other rubbish for a couple of weeks, tonight moves on to Black Sabbeth, Ozzy Ozbourne, then to heavy metal bands including Judas Priest,Iron Maiden etc. All starts at a soggy 9pm.

Thanks for the timely reminder the other Mr Smith. smile Glad to see normal service resumes tonight and Friday Night is Back to Rark!

Here's the schedule for tonight's extravaganza.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Roy Orbison tributes this Friday.

64 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-07-16 09:00:40)

PSmith1946 wrote:

Hey! Hope your not refering to Bowie as "other rubbish"..... Mind, the Ziggy Stardust story was intresting, especially the interviews with the surviving Spiders, Trevor Boulder and Mick Woodmansy; shame there was only soundbites from Bowie and not a more recent interview. Could have done with a better profile Ronno who always seems to get overlooked.

As Kenny says, this week its a tribute to The Big 'O' himself. Shame though, the programmes listed have only recently been on SKY Arts.

Week after (20th July) looks like coverage of BBC's Proms is cutting into the timing, but then an evening with Mark Knopfler

Mike

Friday 20th a reminder, Mark Knopfler night as originally posted by BansheeUK above earlier.

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

66 (edited by Wooders 2012-07-18 08:04:15)

PSmith1946 wrote:

Friday 20th a reminder, Mark Knopfler night as originally posted by BansheeUK above earlier.

I was an early Dire Straits fan but for me they went a bit off the rails from Making Movies onward. I still like Telegraph Road, tho' as does Mrs W. She likes to listen to it lying on the floor in the dark with volume up to 11 and the windows shaking - ooerrrr. big_smile

As for Knopfler's country stuff, no thanks. What a great guitarist, though. He's certainly been the catalyst for many of our modern day favourite players, ie Philip Sayce.

I'm looking forward to Friday, 27th July when there will be a Thin Lizzy special vying with the Olympics Opening Ceremony for our attention. One for the HDD methinks. wink

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”

67 (edited by Wooders 2012-07-20 08:23:37)

Here’s a bump to remind you of tonight’s Mark Knopfler programmes – see above plus advance notice of what’s coming up next Friday, 27th July. They may all be repeats, but still worth catching again.

21:15 – 22:15  Legends - Thin Lizzy: Bad Reputation
22:15 – 23:15  Forever Young: How Rock 'n' Roll Grew Up
23:15 – 00:35  Storyville - Anvil! the Story of Anvil

00:35 – 01:35  Krautrock: The Rebirth of Germany
01:35 – 02:35  Legends   repeated
02:35 – 03:35  Forever Young: How Rock 'n' Roll  Grew Up repeated

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

This Friday there are 2 Iron Maiden programmes followed by 'Even More Guitar Heroes at the BBC' then 'The Santana Story'

I take it that after last week's feast of Disco that nobody is in a hurry to swap the spangly boob-tube and rollerboots for cardigan and slippers for some serious Easy Listening this Friday.... Songs of Bert Bacharach as well as vintage duets and solos from Andy Williams. Must remember to stock up on the Werther's Originals...

By the way, next week - 24th Aug -  Country.....

Mike

70 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-08-23 03:22:04)

So, anyone not heading to a certain place in Milton Keynes on Friday 31st August, can I tempt you with this offering on BBC4?

Following Elgar's 1st Symphony at The Proms, it's an evening of Paul Simon:-
9:30 to 11pm - Imagine - Look back at the making of Graceland.
11pm - 12am - Paul Simon Live at Webster Hall, New York, recorded in 2011
12am - 1am - Paul Simon, BBC1 Sessions (just nice for post-gig "chill-ax" back at the hotel)

Thought as much.........

71 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-09-14 03:19:16)

See last week's nod to The Undertones  didn't create much excitement, so how about this for Friday 14th?

An evening of all thing Fairport Convention...

9pm - God Knows Where The Time Goes (new) Documentary on the band.
10pm - Fairport Convention Live - March 2012 - 45 year career retrospective concert featuring solo original member Simon Nicol
11pm - Richard Thompson - Solitary Life - Look at post-Fairport solo career
12am - Folk At The BBC - 1960s - 1970s

72 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-09-14 02:18:36)

Well, if the Fairports don't grab you tonight - wait and see the delights for next Friday (21st).

After Sounds Of The 70's II - Art House Glam (8:30 - 9:00pm) It's a whole evening dedicated to Sir Tom Jones!!

9:00pm - Imagine: Tom Jones; What Good Am I? - Interview with Alan Yentob
10:00pm - BBC4 Sessions (new) - Tom Jones in Live session (What? a digital channel encouraging "live" music?)
11:15pm - Tom Jones @ BBC - troll through the archives.

Looks like a full evening to chuck your incontinence knickers at the telly..... ;-)

Mike