Topic: Magellan and Principle Skinner

Hey Joe,

Just wanted to ask you a couple of question relating to Magellan and Principle Skinner.  I notice you play both of them on tour.  What are the tonal differences between them?  How much does each of them weight? Are the neck sizes and shapes comparable to each other? Did you have to do anything to either of them upon purchase in order for each of them to be to your liking? Do you have the original pick-ups in Skinner or did you put a set of your signature pickups in it?  Did you do the signature set before you bought Principle Skinner?  Would you have done the set after Skinner's pickups or would you have done it the same? 

Barry

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Re: Magellan and Principle Skinner

He mentioned the tuners on Magellan are from Fake '58. Originals slipped or were wearing out..though still are in his possession. Rest of your questions are probably only answerable by you know who. -S

Both Magellan, Principal Skinner and Batman are all as they left the Kalamazoo Gibson factory in both 1959 and 1960.  I swapped out the tuners for fake 58's and a set of tuners I bought from Jimmy Wallace from Dallas  Its to preserve the original keys.. Due to the volume of the restringing I have to do that.. Although Magellan was grovered once wayyyyyyy back its stock now..
Joe B

Weight is interesting to me as well. Or finding a les paul that is lighter than 8 or 9 pounds and not chambered! lol

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Both Magellan, Principal Skinner and Batman are all as they left the Kalamazoo Gibson factory in both 1959 and 1960.  I swapped out the tuners for fake 58's and a set of tuners I bought from Jimmy Wallace from Dallas  Its to preserve the original keys.. Due to the volume of the restringing I have to do that.. Although Magellan was grovered once wayyyyyyy back its stock now..
Joe B

Thanks Joe.....Is there much difference tonally between the three?

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

I would be more interested to know if he felt the Brazilian boards on those three gave him anything that he could feel or hear. Other then maybe the Historic Makeovers from Kim I don't think he has anything else Brazilian. At least not that I've seen.

Anthony