19 (edited by BansheeUK 2011-11-25 09:38:29)

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

It's a bit late now, so my apologies, but last week-end either BBC4 or Yesterday ran the 3 part Pop Britannia documentary series. Charting (sorry, unintentional pun) the story of "pop" music from the rise of Tommy Steele and Marty Wilde through to todays "artists". Odd to see how things continue alternate from Star-maker Svengalis (Larry Parnes to Simon Cowell - not much change there then) to Independant mavericks. Worth watching out for if it comes round again.

Tommy Steele eh????

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

How the Brits Rocked America from 9.00pm Friday, 27th January on BBC4 TV.

I'm really looking forward to this: How The West Was Won

and The Beatles: The First US Visit

and Vox Pop: How Dartford Powered the British Beat Boom

and Electric Proms: Paul McCartney at The Roundhouse

all repeated at 00.40am on Saturday morning.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Thanks for that. I'll be watching. Friday is often a good night on BBC4

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Something not to be missed on Friday the 13th if you live in the UK or near continent as good old Auntie has come up trumps with an evening of Southern Rock on BBC4.

Sweet Home Alabama: The Southern Rock Saga with contributions from the survivors of those crazy times, including Gregg Allman, REM's Mike Mills, Doug Gray, Al Kooper, Bonnie Bramlett, Charlie Daniels etc. @ 9.pm

Southern Rock at the BBC featuring performances from Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Delaney & Bonnie with Eric Clapton, Dickey Betts from the Allman Brothers Band, the Marshall Tucker Band, Black Oak Arkansas, the Charlie Daniels Band, Greg Allman with then-wife Cher, Edgar Winter and, of course, Lynyrd Skynyrd

OGWT: Lynyrd Skynyrd in Concert. I remember watching the original broadcast of this and it’s a classic and not to be missed. Freebird seemed to go on forever.

Macon Whoopee (very droll roll ) featuring Wet Willie, Marshall Tucker Band, Dickey Betts, Bonnie Bramlett and Stillwater. It will be great to see some footage of Wet Willie. I have a couple of their live albums, but have never seen them play. This will probably be a first in the UK.

For a Southern Rock fan such as me, Friday night should be unmissable and definitely worth recording for posterity.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”

Wooders wrote:

Something not to be missed on Friday the 13th if you live in the UK or near continent as good old Auntie has come up trumps with an evening of Southern Rock on BBC4.

Sweet Home Alabama: The Southern Rock Saga with contributions from the survivors of those crazy times, including Gregg Allman, REM's Mike Mills, Doug Gray, Al Kooper, Bonnie Bramlett, Charlie Daniels etc. @ 9.pm

Southern Rock at the BBC featuring performances from Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Delaney & Bonnie with Eric Clapton, Dickey Betts from the Allman Brothers Band, the Marshall Tucker Band, Black Oak Arkansas, the Charlie Daniels Band, Greg Allman with then-wife Cher, Edgar Winter and, of course, Lynyrd Skynyrd

OGWT: Lynyrd Skynyrd in Concert. I remember watching the original broadcast of this and it’s a classic and not to be missed. Freebird seemed to go on forever.

Macon Whoopee (very droll roll ) featuring Wet Willie, Marshall Tucker Band, Dickey Betts, Bonnie Bramlett and Stillwater. It will be great to see some footage of Wet Willie. I have a couple of their live albums, but have never seen them play. This will probably be a first in the UK.

For a Southern Rock fan such as me, Friday night should be unmissable and definitely worth recording for posterity.

Phil

Phil this post really makes me wish our PBS had all the BBC programming.  I'll miss hearing all those Southern Rock favorites that I grew up on.  Coincidentally on the road today I was listening to The Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East and reliving those days!

You'll be jealous to know, however, that when the New Orleans Superdome opened many years ago there was an all day concert which I attended that included many of these Southern Rock favorites, including Marshall Tucker Band, Wet Willie and others, with The Allman Brothers closing out the night!  cool

Sandy

I know a place ....

I'll endeavour to sky+ em and copy to dvd for anyone interested?

Come on you Blades!

idolbone wrote:

If you please! Just let me know what to remit. Somehow that channel doesn't reach out to here.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Bump. If something's worth saying, it's worth saying twice. smile

Yes, Sandy, I'm very envious. That sounds like my kind of show. I give Filmore East a frequent play; you can't beat it. I think I played the vinyl version to death all those years ago.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Wooders wrote:

Bump. If something's worth saying, it's worth saying twice.

Glad you bumped this up Phil. I had totally forgotten about it. I'll be watching later.

RickB wrote:
idolbone wrote:

If you please! Just let me know what to remit. Somehow that channel doesn't reach out to here.

Check pm's Rick,i'll see what i can do!

Come on you Blades!

idolbone wrote:
RickB wrote:
idolbone wrote:

Check pm's Rick,i'll see what i can do!

big_smile

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

wow, what a night of viewing, - well okay I recorded and watched it today.... Black Oak Arkansas frontman, - can see where DL Roth and Axel Rose got a few ideas from!

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Even though I only got back from the States Saturday am, and suffering jet lag, managed to watch till 0130. Knackered but wow. What great tv. BBC 4 brings up some great stuff and is always worth a watch on a Friday night. Thanks for the heds up.

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Only managed to watch Rory Gallagher from Montreux (on sky arts,anyhoo) but all others recorded.Will commit to dvd as and when,gotta do it 'real-time' and not switch channels,with the mrs and jr not as easy as it sounds!

Come on you Blades!

Friday 4th May, BBC4 9pm

They're running the Fleetwood Mac story documentary followed by the one on Peter Green.

Mike

Friday May 11th - BBC4, from 9pm to 1am

Four solid hours of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

Mike

35 (edited by Brack 2012-05-02 06:07:47)

BansheeUK wrote:

Friday 4th May, BBC4 9pm

They're running the Fleetwood Mac story documentary followed by the one on Peter Green.

Mike

BansheeUK wrote:

Friday May 11th - BBC4, from 9pm to 1am

Four solid hours of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

Mike

Thanks for the heads-up mike. I think i've seen both before - still enjoyable though!

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

sky +......;)

Come on you Blades!