Re: Joe's new amp at SLO show, Category 5?

Amp choice is always difficult.

I'm just on small Marshall combos at the moment. Do the job. The MG range sound bluesiest when you whack a TubeScreamer into the set-up and crank it up a bit on the clean channel.

Considering upgrading to something new, either a bigger Marshall or a bigger Fender amp. Any advice? Don't wanna spend anything too much above £200 and gotta be a combo too.

Hey Luke,

Don't know what's available in the UK for 200 pounds($400 US)  but I would look at used fender pro jr's, Blue's Jr's or Deluxe reverb reissues THis will get you a decent tube based amp that can do some clean, and will sound good with a pedal in front of it.  The Deluxe Reverb would be best, but you might not be able to get one for that price.  THe Pro jr and Blues Jr can be modded into nice amps, so they are a good place to start. They can both be bought here in us for less than 400 dollars new-run about 250-300 used.

Good Luck,

DonR

21 (edited by gsj 2007-07-18 17:23:34)

Good advice from Don. Forget Marshall MG's and go for a decent tube amp. You'll be lucky to find anything new for £200 although Laney have a good 15watt for around that price.... but you should find something second-hand if you shop around. Don't forget that the dollar to pound equation doesn't work as we'd all like it to in the UK wink

DonR wrote:

Hey Luke,

Don't know what's available in the UK for 200 pounds($400 US)  but I would look at used fender pro jr's, Blue's Jr's or Deluxe reverb reissues THis will get you a decent tube based amp that can do some clean, and will sound good with a pedal in front of it.  The Deluxe Reverb would be best, but you might not be able to get one for that price.  THe Pro jr and Blues Jr can be modded into nice amps, so they are a good place to start. They can both be bought here in us for less than 400 dollars new-run about 250-300 used.

Good Luck,

DonR

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young