Re: The Mentulls

BansheeUK wrote:

No worries - I used to get just as frustrated when bands seemed to bypass this area or not get up as far as London (KWS - I'm talkin' to you....). Now, as well as crackin' local bands like The Mentulls, we've several lively small venues in a small area, so these clashes are getting more frequent: think they need to get together and sort something between them. I know Duncan is working hard to get Ryan McGarvey up into Scotland and I think Bluesmoose will be keen to get Eric Steckel up there too as a package maybe. Mind, you could give Gerry Jablonski a kick down to these parts.....

I'll be at the Durham Blues Fest on the 23rd June also, so I'll give you a shout nearer the time and maybe we'll meet up and have a good whinge, then enjoy some great bands.

Mike

Nice one, I'm looking forward to seeing Mitch Laddie for the first time. I got his first CD recently after hearing him on the Classic Rock CD.

I'm going to see Gerry Jablonski on Friday night, I'll let him know his presence is requested down your way!

20 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-04-04 03:18:46)

Murray1903 wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

No worries - I used to get just as frustrated when bands seemed to bypass this area or not get up as far as London (KWS - I'm talkin' to you....). Now, as well as crackin' local bands like The Mentulls, we've several lively small venues in a small area, so these clashes are getting more frequent: think they need to get together and sort something between them. I know Duncan is working hard to get Ryan McGarvey up into Scotland and I think Bluesmoose will be keen to get Eric Steckel up there too as a package maybe. Mind, you could give Gerry Jablonski a kick down to these parts.....

I'll be at the Durham Blues Fest on the 23rd June also, so I'll give you a shout nearer the time and maybe we'll meet up and have a good whinge, then enjoy some great bands.

Mike

Nice one, I'm looking forward to seeing Mitch Laddie for the first time. I got his first CD recently after hearing him on the Classic Rock CD.

I'm going to see Gerry Jablonski on Friday night, I'll let him know his presence is requested down your way!

Cheers for that; if you run into Lewis Hamilton (not THE Lewis Hamilton) we'll find somewhere for him too. By way of return, I'd send Mitch up to Scotland; being a North East lad, it's not too far a trip. However, I won't see him again until the Durham fest. If he's still playing the way he has been this year, you're in for a treat. Should search YouTube, there should be a recent jam he did with The Mentull's Andrew Pipe - it'll set your ears on fire!!

Mike

PS. Dave, will do. See you and Tripsy at H/Pool McGarvey gig....

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Here are the latest gigs for The Mentulls so far confirmed:

14th April - Guisborough RnB Club (supporting Larry Miller Band)
21st April - The Station, Swinton (near Sheffield)
28th April - The Camerons Club, Hartlepool (Double header with Glossop's guitar prodigy Alex McKown)
6th May - Burnley International Rock & Blues Festival (Special Guest Stage)
6th July - Live Radio Session - Friday Night Blues Trent FM (Nottingham)
7th July - The 76 Club, Burton On Trent (supporting The Jon Amor Blues Group)
15th July - Clowne Rock & Blues Club (near Chesterfield)
20th July - Harrogate Blues Bar
28th July - Maryport Blues Festival (Main Stage - The Wave Centre)
30th September - The Cameron's Club, Hartlepool (supporting Dr Feelgood)
14th October - The Robin 2, Wolverhampton (supporting Wishbone Ash)
19th October - The Jam House, Edinburgh (supporting Wishbone Ash)

More to be announced.............

Please come down and support this great young band - "blues rock is in good hands"

The Mentulls wrote:

Here are the latest gigs for The Mentulls so far confirmed:

14th April - Guisborough RnB Club (supporting Larry Miller Band)
21st April - The Station, Swinton (near Sheffield)
28th April - The Camerons Club, Hartlepool (Double header with Glossop's guitar prodigy Alex McKown)
6th May - Burnley International Rock & Blues Festival (Special Guest Stage)
6th July - Live Radio Session - Friday Night Blues Trent FM (Nottingham)
7th July - The 76 Club, Burton On Trent (supporting The Jon Amor Blues Group)
15th July - Clowne Rock & Blues Club (near Chesterfield)
20th July - Harrogate Blues Bar
28th July - Maryport Blues Festival (Main Stage - The Wave Centre)
30th September - The Cameron's Club, Hartlepool (supporting Dr Feelgood)
14th October - The Robin 2, Wolverhampton (supporting Wishbone Ash)
19th October - The Jam House, Edinburgh (supporting Wishbone Ash)

More to be announced.............

Please come down and support this great young band - "blues rock is in good hands"

Just a little tip concerning the Clowne date; beware of the kebabs! I know Nick likes a pizza but another band I know played a date in Clowne last year, had a post-gig kebab and all of them were down for the week-end with food poisoning.

Mike

mbcl wrote:

Mmm scotland, well all I can say is that I was asked to increase our exposure in Scotland, so we did a series of hi profile support slots at our own expense (not complaining, it was great fun and a great experience). impressed the **## out of anyone who saw us and increased our mailing list in scotland dramaticly. Passed all this on to said promotor and heard bugger all back. We have been promised gigs by others and noone has come through. I have certainly tried my side but its wearing a little thin. I would book my own gigs up there but its too far to handle promotion properly. There is one lady who desperate to get us up there but she only has access to some small pub venues, for which we are too powerful. She is trying hard though.

In response to Martin's comments here, I actually emailed him a week ago

Just read your comments on Joe's forum. If you are looking to do something up here I'm certainly willing to help out with the promotion side, plus suggesting venues, support acts etc for Edinburgh and Glasgow. I have costings for some good venues already. The Scottish blues fans facebook page would provide a reasonable profile for shows too. Let me know if it is something that you would be keen to do. Only think I cannot do is involve myself financially, got too many family costs for that, but willing to place posters, flyers and try to source radio promotion etc.

He never got back to me, and its not the first time we've talked about shows in Scotland and he's not shown a real desire. Also the Kinross show wasn't cancelled by itself. Happy to help all good acts try to get shows in Scotland, but I'm not going to try to drag them kicking and screaming.
Back to the Mentulls, I'm looking forward to seeing them supporting Wishbone Ash. If they are interested in a few more shows while up here, I'm more than happy to make recommendations.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Glad you are looking forward to The Mentulls supporting WA on 19th October. We would be happy to play another gig on Saturday 20th Oct in that area if that was possible. If you can email me with details that would be great.
kgpipe@btinternet.com

Cheers
Keith

25 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-04-13 04:47:48)

Nice one, Duncan.

Come on Murray & Kenny - Now's you chance to shout up!!!! big_smile

Mike

Greenose wrote:
mbcl wrote:

Mmm scotland, well all I can say is that I was asked to increase our exposure in Scotland, so we did a series of hi profile support slots at our own expense (not complaining, it was great fun and a great experience). impressed the **## out of anyone who saw us and increased our mailing list in scotland dramaticly. Passed all this on to said promotor and heard bugger all back. We have been promised gigs by others and noone has come through. I have certainly tried my side but its wearing a little thin. I would book my own gigs up there but its too far to handle promotion properly. There is one lady who desperate to get us up there but she only has access to some small pub venues, for which we are too powerful. She is trying hard though.

In response to Martin's comments here, I actually emailed him a week ago

Just read your comments on Joe's forum. If you are looking to do something up here I'm certainly willing to help out with the promotion side, plus suggesting venues, support acts etc for Edinburgh and Glasgow. I have costings for some good venues already. The Scottish blues fans facebook page would provide a reasonable profile for shows too. Let me know if it is something that you would be keen to do. Only think I cannot do is involve myself financially, got too many family costs for that, but willing to place posters, flyers and try to source radio promotion etc.

He never got back to me, and its not the first time we've talked about shows in Scotland and he's not shown a real desire. Also the Kinross show wasn't cancelled by itself. Happy to help all good acts try to get shows in Scotland, but I'm not going to try to drag them kicking and screaming.
Back to the Mentulls, I'm looking forward to seeing them supporting Wishbone Ash. If they are interested in a few more shows while up here, I'm more than happy to make recommendations.

Well done Duncan. Hopefully something can be arranged, I'd definately make the trip down to Edinburgh to see VATA.
I'd be quite keen to see The Mentulls on the 20th October if a gig is arranged.

The Mentulls wrote:

Glad you are looking forward to The Mentulls supporting WA on 19th October. We would be happy to play another gig on Saturday 20th Oct in that area if that was possible. If you can email me with details that would be great.
kgpipe@btinternet.com

Cheers
Keith

Check your email Keith, just sent you a list of venues within 1 1/2 hours drive of Edinburgh. Good luck!

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)

The Mentulls have just conformed the following dates for next year:

Friday 18th January 2013 - Popodium Romein, Leeuwarden, The Netherlands (supporting Wishbone Ash)
Saturday 19th January 2013 - De Pul, Uden, The Netherlands (supporting Wishbone Ash)
Sunday 20th January 2013 - ECI Cultuufabriek, Roermond, The Netherlands (supporting Wishbone Ash)
Friday 17th May 2013 - Saltburn Blues Club, Saltburn (supporting Hokie Joint)

The Mentulls wrote:

The Mentulls have just conformed the following dates for next year:

Friday 18th January 2013 - Popodium Romein, Leeuwarden, The Netherlands (supporting Wishbone Ash)
Saturday 19th January 2013 - De Pul, Uden, The Netherlands (supporting Wishbone Ash)
Sunday 20th January 2013 - ECI Cultuufabriek, Roermond, The Netherlands (supporting Wishbone Ash)
Friday 17th May 2013 - Saltburn Blues Club, Saltburn (supporting Hokie Joint)

That's great news; well done lads....

Mike

PS - how long has Saltburn had a Blues Club?

30 (edited by mbcl 2012-04-19 05:49:29)

Duncan,
I replied almost instantly it was recieved by your servers. We were made some promises by a promotor in Scotland. We did what we were asked to do, at considerable expense (and no it's not Mr Mundell) and nothing came from it, except a phone call rant about our link with the gig cartel. Said person was rude and obnoxious and really needs a slap, if I meet them face to face they will get it to (it's noone on here). This guy has gotten right under my skin (which is unusually). To say I have never shown interest is incorrect. You suggested doing some double headers, that did not appeal, not explaining why but it simply would not work.
As for The Kinross gig, yes it was cancelled by mutual agreement. Forward sales were not great and David was paying a reasonable fee. We decided it better to postpone rather then play to a few and have the promotor out of pocket. Since then we have done a lot of work on scotland, so heres to the next time.
All that said I have been recently been assured we will gig in Scotland and of course when we do I would appreciate be grateful of as much help and support as possible.
Sorry hijacking Andrews thread here, Andrew is one of the few who really impresses Virgil "scary mofo''. A scarily talented young man.

Greenose wrote:
mbcl wrote:

In response to Martin's comments here, I acStually emailed him a week ago

Mike,

The Saltburn blues club has only been going about 6 months. At the moment it is only local(ish) bands who play but Harry Simpson (promoter) is now booking bigger bands i.e. Kyla Brox and Hokie Joint (and The Mentulls !!) in the next few months/next year. Check out the link on facebook (Saltburn Blues Club).

PS You missed a great gig (Larry Miller + The Mentulls) at Guisborough last Saturday night. The Mentulls were on fire and rocked the place !!

Keith

The Mentulls wrote:

Mike,

The Saltburn blues club has only been going about 6 months. At the moment it is only local(ish) bands who play but Harry Simpson (promoter) is now booking bigger bands i.e. Kyla Brox and Hokie Joint (and The Mentulls !!) in the next few months/next year. Check out the link on facebook (Saltburn Blues Club).

PS You missed a great gig (Larry Miller + The Mentulls) at Guisborough last Saturday night. The Mentulls were on fire and rocked the place !!

Keith

Cheers Keith; I'm going to have to get back down to Guisborough, haven't been since Jon Amor back in December. Would have been on Saturday, but been a bit out of it lately; thought I was over it when went to Nimmo Brothers, but must have enjoyed myself too much.....that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I'll catch up with you and the lads before too long - meantime, lookout in Darlington for news on new venue called The Hub opening fairly soon...

Mike

It'll be a while until The Mentulls play again at Guisborough I would think. Andrew and I will be at the Wilko/VATA gig at Stockton tomorrow night.

34 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-04-19 09:52:37)

The Mentulls wrote:

It'll be a while until The Mentulls play again at Guisborough I would think. Andrew and I will be at the Wilko/VATA gig at Stockton tomorrow night.

I'll look out for you there....

Meantime:-
Anybody in the area looking for something to do on Saturday 28th - get yourselves along to Hartlepool Cameron's Club where The Mentulls are doing a double header with Alex McKown from Glossop. We know that blues is alright for the present - have yourselves a look into the future with these youngsters.

mbcl wrote:

Duncan,
I replied almost instantly it was recieved by your servers.

Email now recovered, and replied to. We can now take this discussion off the forum. Mentulls, you can have your thread back now!

I am very pleased to announce that Andrew Pipe, guitarist of The Mentulls, has been nominated in the Young Artist Category of the British Blues Awards 2012. Other nominees in this category are Alex McKown, Oli Brown, Lucy Zirins, Mitch Laddie and Virgil McMahon. Such fine young musicians.