Re: Welcome back Aynsley Lister!!!

Just found this acoustic song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmtoRjwW … mp;list=UL
Very cool Mr. Lister  cool
Gewaltig.

20 (edited by BansheeUK 2011-12-05 10:55:40)

Aynsley and The Cluny; go as well together as Aynsley and that big, red Fender.  It’s hard really to know where to start doing this review; The Cluny is one of those venues that has such an electric atmosphere (maybe be due to it one time being a whiskey bottling factory) as soon as you enter and Aynsley is one of those guys who have charged it up over the years, so you know it going to be a great night before the first note is struck. There’s such a rapport with the venue and crowd, the band is very relaxed, yet once they start into “Big Sleep”, well nobody’s sleeping as Aysnley, Midus, Andre and Paul are super tight and don’t let up for the next 100 minutes.

Set List is pretty much as posted elsewhere for Beaverwood, but no harm in listing it again, though I think there was slight juggling between Crazy, Soul and Home:-

Big Sleep
Early Morning Dew
Time’s running Out on Me
Inside Out  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7bcy-VBL0o
What’s It All About
Crazy
Soul
Home
Hurricane
Hero
Feeling Good  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHl_zB_tqvs
Insatiable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiuJGHPV … re=related
In The Morning
Possession http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2S4sFNpDsU
Encore:-Purple Rain.

New songs, sounding really good with their “on the road” polishing; going to be very interesting next year when the new album comes out, how they end up in the studio; it’ll be an interesting poll. Where I can, I've included a YouTube link so you can get an idea of the new stuff, unfortunately, not from The Cluny, but then, has to be said, the sound there isn't the best I've experienced. " Inside Out" has one of those deceptively hypnotic rhythms that sneaks up and gets the feet going. "Crazy" is a little different to the Equilibrium album take, Aynsley doesn't use it as an acoustic break though he uses his "home-made" semi acoustic on it; he sets down a New Orleans' style rhythm while Andre counters it with a funky Stevie Wonder style on the keyboards, result is magic. "Home", to me sounds as if Aynsley is flirting with the recent interest in old rock’n'roll that seems to be creeping about lately, and to my mind, not a bad direction to take. "Feeling Good", the Nina Simone cover has been worked on since the last tour and is sounding very good. Especially impressed with Andre’s lead run, some of the best keyboard work I’ve heard this side of Don Airey or Colin Towns; even our man was impressed."Insatiable" and "Possession", the last 2 new
songs, very strong stuff, think they’re going to match up to "Hurricane" and "Hero" in future sets.

So, that’s the songs, as I said before, the band were relaxed and tight; Aynsley on cracking form; Midus, brilliant as ever, as
acknowledged by her own branch of the “Toon Army” supporters; Andre, a revelation on keyboards, some fun call & response with Aynsley and “that” solo run; finally, Paul on drums, the guy who keeps it all together and powers through. That should charge-up the batteries at The Cluny for a while. If you're interested in such things, nearly 150 folks were energised by the show. Great going home with a satisfied car full. Sounds like the Spring tour will be an acoustic/solo for Britain anyway, and a good month long tour of Germany; dates still to be confirmed, though they are sneaking out.

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Great review Mike, off go see him at the The Robin 2 on thursday. Aynsley has invited V down, the last time they got together it was a 90 minute show and then 3 hours of the pair of them cooing over each others gear:) Aynsley is one of those genuinley really nice guys. So or those who can make it, should be some cool goings on at The Robin.

mbcl wrote:

Great review Mike, off go see him at the The Robin 2 on thursday. Aynsley has invited V down, the last time they got together it was a 90 minute show and then 3 hours of the pair of them cooing over each others gear:) Aynsley is one of those genuinley really nice guys. So or those who can make it, should be some cool goings on at The Robin.

Cheers Martin - shame an Aynsley & Virgil jam couldn't have happened at The Cluny, but you can't have everything. Had a good bit chat with Steph and gave her the heads up about Andrew & The Mentulls, the lads are opening for Aynsley next March at Ripley - might just have a ride down for that one.

Enjoy Thursday and I'll catch up with you all at N/castle on Monday.

Mike

23 (edited by Icon 2011-12-11 15:56:18)

Stunning gig at the Robin last week! What I can’t get over is that in five or six years of Aynsley gigs since I first saw him, I’ve never come away thinking “well he was better than that the last time”. Always a quality show with a great mix of blues rock originals supplemented wth some inspired covers.

As mentioned above, Aynsley invited Virgil McMahon along to join him on a couple of songs, returning the favour after Aynsley had been asked to join the VATA boys at their Leicester gig. What a blast! It was a bit like Obi-Wan and Luke getting together, but more fun - lots of smiles from both - lots of mutual respect too - and truly captivating to watch these two trading licks back and forth. Here’s a video of “Running Out On Me”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIKNo0eb … ture=share . It’s not brillant quality but well worth sticking with to halfway through ‘cos that’s where it gets really interesting.

Over the course of this year Aynsley's been roadtesting some new songs and they are sounding really strong now. Noticed a few tweaks here and there in some of them, and I'm sure it won't be long now before he's ready to get back in the studio and cut the next album.

Here's a slideshow of my pics from the gig http://www.flickr.com/photos/42034502@N … 4731/show/

and a few in monochrome http://www.flickr.com/photos/42034502@N … 6171/show/

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

Ian nice pictures and yes that video does get very interesting.  Lot of talent in a small space.  Thanks for posting these.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

25 (edited by Icon 2011-12-12 07:05:31)

Thanks Sandy.
Aynsley has just announced a whole load of gigs in the UK and Europe for the first half of 2012..
Here's a link to those dates on his website  http://www.aynsleylister.co.uk/index.php/gigs

Quite a few solo dates this time too - well worth catching if you've not seen one before.

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

Aynsley Lister & Band is not only a band worth catching if one haven't seen them before.
Hope to see Aynsley next year.

European dates for Aynsley; April/May 2012

Wed April 18th       
Thurs April 19th Harmonie  Bonn Germany
Fri April 20th Hirsch Nuremburg Germany
Sat April 21st Hirsch Glems Germany
Sun April 22nd TBA TBA TBA
Mon April 23rd Muddys Weinheim Germany
Tues April 24th Spectrum Augsburg Germany
Wed April 25th Hirsch Nurmburg Germany
Thurs April 26th Die Halle Reichenbach Germany
Thurs May 3rd Meisenfrei Bremen Germany
Fri May 4th Schmullings Bergkamen Germany
Sat May 5th Blues Club Baden Baden Germany
Thurs May 17th Charly's Oldenburg Germany
Fri May 18th Downtown Hamburg Germany
Sat May 19th Blues Club Rheine Germany

Enjoy
Mike

BansheeUK wrote:

European dates for Aynsley; April/May 2012

Wed April 18th  La Brasserie, Luxemburg     
Thurs April 19th Harmonie  Bonn Germany
Fri April 20th Hirsch Nuremburg Germany
Sat April 21st Hirsch Glems Germany
Sun April 22nd TBA TBA TBA
Mon April 23rd Muddys Weinheim Germany
Tues April 24th Spectrum Augsburg Germany
Wed April 25th Bürgerhaus Dudenhofen Germany
Thurs April 26th Die Halle Reichenbach Germany
Fri April 27 Blues Garage Isernhagen Germany
Sa April 28 Ducsaal Freudenburg Germany
Sun April 29 De Bosuil Weert Netherlands
Mon April 30 Cafe de Noot Hoogerheide Netherlands
Wed May 2 Bluescafe Apeldoorn Netherlands
Thurs May 3rd Meisenfrei Bremen Germany
Fri May 4th Schmüllings Bergkamen Germany
Sat May 5th Blues Club Baden Baden Germany
Thurs May 17th Charly's Oldenburg Germany
Fri May 18th Downtown Bluesclub Hamburg Germany
Sat May 19th Blues Club Rheine Germany
Sat June 2 Highlands Festival Amersfoort Netherlands

Enjoy
Mike

Completed some dates.
And here some stuff from the actual UK tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsN-vVwT … AAAAAAAAAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8wsXXaM … ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxmt57-dAMA

lol Extremely good duo.

29 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-02-27 10:33:57)

Well, caught my first Aynsley gig of the year on Saturday, well worth the drive over the A66 to Kendal Bootleggers. My first time at that venue and won't be my last, that's for sure. The stage is low, but well sized, well lit and good sound (drowns out noise from the bar without blowing your eardrums out). Great atmosphere and friendly crowd.

Aynsley was in sparking form, though have to say, there were more changes in the band line-up than in the set list from the Autumn/Winter tour. However, it had the feel of a Spring training session. As ever, Aynsley batting in the lead-off spot, Dan Healey back on keyboards and batting clean-up. Usual drummer Tim is out on the DL, so the dynamo that is Simon Small drafted back in as the DH. Midus, also on the DL, to the surprise of many Aynsley followers meant that Colin Peters was called off the bench at the last minute to pinch hit for her. What we got were 2 solid (60 minute) innings.

And that's where I'm ending the baseball metaphor. As I said, not much different in the set list from my Cluny review a little back on this thread, but really tight. Even though most of the band have been out for a while (a long while for Colin on bass), not only tight, but everyone on stage was thoroughly enjoying themselves. Aynsley and Dan trading licks; Aynsley coming back at Dan's fills while he was changing or tuning guitars. Always good to see Simon behind a kit, no matter who he's playing for and a major acknowledgement to Colin, standing in after apparently years at really short notice; if you couldn't see the stage, you would know he was having to play from sheet music. Aynsley was really giving it the beans, looking like he was ready to do some guitar slinging through the break in Early Morning Dew - at that's one of the slower numbers in the set!! The newer songs, Inside Out, Posession, Home, Sugar all settling in nicely, as is the Feeling Good cover. Aynsley's playing is as incendiary as ever.

Think this was one of the first "band" shows since Christmas, and the majority of gigs until mid-April are solo shows (and not to be missed), this was a great chance to blow away the cobwebs, and they went for it. Aynsley also announced from stage that he's heading into the studio in the summer, so think of him while you're off to Spain, Turkey, Florida or the DIY Store.

Mike

Both Tim and Midus are out following minor surgeries (not "Tommy John" I don't think...) but are itching to be back in action soon, hopefully for the band dates.

30 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-03-20 10:43:14)

Check this out from a recent gig in Switzerland:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=engpIvQJ … u.be&a

Looks like Simon Small still on drums and Steve Amadeo deputising on bass.

Also, check Aynsley's website for a great download

Mike

31 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-03-26 04:18:31)

Wow!! Not some much The Aynsley Lister Band, more the Trent Valley All-Stars: that was a band and a half to hit such a small, quiet corner of Yorkshire; and hit it they did. So who are they? Well, there was Steve Amadeo on Bass (think that’s the first time I’ve seen him with an electric one); Andre Bessing working the magic over the keys; the mighty Wayne Proctor on drums and finally on Strat, Les Paul, Slide and vocals, a familiar looking guy in a smart suit. Typical of Yorkshire to squeeze every drop of value from the admission; however, a line-up like that certainly delivers.

Opening the night were Guisborough’s finest, The Mentulls. . Even though I’ve seen Andrew jamming with a few bands over the last couple of months, this is the first time for a while I’ve seen them do a set and there are a couple of changes; mostly in Andrew’s voice; its getting stronger but he’s loosing the higher register so a couple of the old stock covers are gone. That said, nothing to complain about and his guitar playing is hot; Jamie, still steamin’ away in the corner on keys and Nick on drums giving a blistering solo on the second song all rounded up to give a good 40 minutes of rockin’ blues in their own style, including a brand new song. They finished off with Just Got Paid / Starship Trooper a la Joe B and their own I Got The Blues to which I noticed a certain lady having a quiet “bop” to.

So on to the meat an’ tatties. I don’t which is more amazing, the number of quality mates Aynsley has on call to help out while band regulars are on the DL or the fact that the quality of the show has the needle off the scale. The interplay between Aynsley and Andre is to be heard to be believed, and the take on Feelin’ Good for me is almost eclipsing Purple Rain. The set list isn’t really much different to Kendal last month, though it was one continuous, rather than a split set. All the new songs are really bedding in nicely,  Possession, Insatiable, Inside Out, Sugar (sounding a bit “beefier” in the 3 chord dept.), so the new CD should be in great form - just wonder what else Aynsley’s going to pull out the hat….

And what about Ripley Blues Club? Well, if like me, you’ve never been before, expect a warm welcome, friendly atmosphere and a nice drop of Theakstons in a Victorian hall that will take 200 people and nearly did even with Chris Rea next door in Harrogate and Joe Bonamassa close by.

Mike

Videos from above Ripley gig:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yodGdkZz … ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N6-oyPr … ure=relmfu

Mike

Tour starts tomorrow and my ticket for Bonn the day after tomorrow is ordered.
I hope that I can make it just in time ...
Really looking forward to the gig as I haven't seen Aynsley Lister in 2011.

Looks like Paul back on drums, Andre on keys,Steve Amadeo still covering Bass for Midus (back later in the summer) and the same ol' singer/guitarist.

Enjoy
Mike

I will miss Midus and I don't know whether I like Aynsley's business man dress.
But as long as I can wear my jeans ... I don't have a real problem with Aynsley's outfit.
2 days lol

Blues Sissi wrote:

I will miss Midus and I don't know whether I like Aynsley's business man dress.
But as long as I can wear my jeans ... I don't have a real problem with Aynsley's outfit.
2 days lol

LOL - Casual dress was order of the day again when I saw them last Monday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42034502@N … 0664/show/

Enjoy Eva!

Ian