Topic: Nimmo Brothers

Hi all,

As I always welcome a good tip and have had a few from here thought I'd alert those of you who might be interested to my favourite blues band, the Nimmo Brothers.
They are the most exciting live band. In fact the first time I heard Joe on A New Day Yesterday Live I though he played very much like them, indeed creating their sound with one guitar (since then he has reached into other areas whilst they remain firm blues). Sadly they tour very infrequently (usually meaning I have to travel hundreds of bloody miles to catch them!)

Two clips, if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxmFaLdW … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_riPjP03 … re=related

Hope it is ok to plug other bands on here, if not sorry.

2 (edited by Greenose 2009-05-08 11:08:38)

Re: Nimmo Brothers

That is a good time, the Nimmos are a good band, originally from Glasgow who are worth catching. They started as a straight blues band heavily influenced by the likes of Peter Green etc. before recording some acoustic tunes and more recently a harder blues rock album so if you go to see them you will get a good variety of material.

They also played recently in Glasgow and I have reviewed their set in (hopefully) the next edition of Blues Matters.

Here are some of their upcoming tour dates:

Thu 14 May  Blues Night:
The Nimmo Brothers  Millers Snooker Club
Kirkby in Ashfield 
Thu 21 May  The Nimmo Brothers  Hartlepool Community Studio
Hartlepool 
28 May 2009
Real Music Live, The Beaverwood Club, Chislehurst, Kent,
Fri 29 May  The Nimmo Brothers  The Boom Boom Club at Sutton United FC
Sutton 
Mon 1 Jun  The Big Blues Weekend:
Tim Aves + Pete G + The Nimmo Brothers + Family Style + The Swamp Cats  Warners Lakeside
Hayling Island 
Sat 30 May  The Nimmo Brothers   Citadel Arts Centre
St Helens

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Alan Nimmo is also playing with a band called King King who I saw not too long ago at nthe Boardwalk, Sheffield.
They were really, really good.

One of the best gigs I've seen in a while.

How is everyone "finding Nimmo":D:D:lol::P?????

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

5 (edited by Kenny 2012-01-24 10:20:18)

Time for some Scottish blues :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abEGD_2UZzE

With 2 Les Pauls. Glasgow's finest.

Kenny

Kenny wrote:

Time for some Scottish blues :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abEGD_2UZzE

With 2 Les Pauls. Glasgow's finest.

Kenny

Why not Kenny? Saw them for the first time in 2011, and their gig at the Flowerpot in Derby was one of the best of the year for me. They have a new album due for release very soon called "Brother to Brother" I believe, which was recorded in Austin, Texas last year. In the meantime here's some more to keep you ticking over. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFuqLQBV … re=related

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

Another excellent choice Ian. Looks like the album will be out in time for their April tour, which starts in Derby on the 20th - another gig for your diary.

Kenny

Kenny wrote:

Another excellent choice Ian. Looks like the album will be out in time for their April tour, which starts in Derby on the 20th - another gig for your diary.

Kenny

Here's hoping that the "tour" dates will be expanded - particularly to the North East :-)

once i got a cd in a trade and i was surprised what i heard. really a great band..............here they are more or less unknown.
Thomas

There are 2 dates in the Netherlands:

11 May - De Bosuil, Weert
12 May - Kwadendamme Blues Festival, Kwadendamme

They don't tour that much, so catch them if you can.

They tend to tour Thurs/Fri/Sat so dates are limited. Wish they would try somewhere else in Scotland apart from Glasgow. Their 2001 live album is fantastic and here is the track listing :

1. She's All Mine
2. I'll be back someday
3. Long way from everything
4. So Many Roads
5. The thrill is gone
6. Flat Broke
7. Moving On
8. Watch Out
9. If I could see through the eyes
10. Help Me

Kenny

Kenny wrote:

Their 2001 live album is fantastic

Kenny

YES.

Great show by the Nimmos in Kinross last night, a really good turnout and the band's performance was the best I've ever seen by them. Lots of material from the new album was played, and just about everyone there bought themselves a copy. Nice to chat to Kenny and Murray too!

No regrets missing out on Oli Brown to see these guys. That was their third date of a UK tour, more gigs to come at:

18 Apr 2012

The Cellar Bar, South Hill Park Arts Centre - Ringmead,Bracknell, Berks, RG12 7PA

Tel: 01252 793430
Email: info@boogaloopromotions.com

Acoustic Duo

20 Apr 2012

The Flowerpot, King Street, Derby, DE1 3DZ
Tel: 01332 834438
Email: info@rawpromo.co.uk

21 Apr 2012

Blakeney Harbour Room, 139 -141 High Street, Blakeney, Holt, Norfolk, NR25 7NU
Tel: 01263 741666
Email: info@blakeneyharbourroom.co.uk

22 Apr 2012
Boom Boom Club Sutton United Football Club The Borough Sports Ground Gander Green Lane Sutton, Surrey SM1 2EY
Tel: 0208 761 9078

24 Apr 2012
Scarborough Blues Club, The Cask Inn, Cambridge Terrace, Scarborough

26 Apr 2012
Wyllyotts Theatre, Wyllyotts Place, Darkes Lane, Potters Bar, Herts, EN6 2HN
Tel: 01707 645005
Email: wyllyotts@hertsmereleisure.co.uk

28 Apr 2012
Yardbirds Rock Club - Church Street, Grimsby, DN32 7DD
Email: 07771520374

29 Apr 2012
Musician Venue & Bar, Clyde Street, Leicester, LE1 2DE
Tel: 0116 251 0080
Email: rideout@stayfree.co.uk

03 May 2012
Millers Snooker Club, 18 Diamond Avenue, Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG17 7GR
Tel: 01623 750260

05 May 2012
Cranleigh Arts Centre, 1 High Street, Cranleigh, Surrey, GU6 8AS
Tel: 01483 278001
Email: boxoffice@cranleighartscentre.org

06 May 2012
Greystones, Greystones Road, Sheffield S11 7BS
Tel: 0114 266 5599
Email: info@mygreystones.co.uk

09 May 2012
Blues Cafe Apeldoorn - Nieuwstraat 74a, 7311 BT Apeldoorn, Netherlands
Tel: 055-578 50 14
Email: info@bluescafe.nl

10 May 2012
Brewery Neumunster - 28, rue Münster L-2160 Luxembourg
Tel: 352 26 20 52 981
Email: info@abbaye.lu

11 May 2012
Muziekcentrum Bosuil - Vrakkerveld 2c, Weert 6002, AZ, Netherlands
Tel: 0495 524269
Email: info@debosuil.nl

12 May 2012
Kwadendamme Bluesfestival, Bonifaciusstraat 2 4434 AD Kwadendamme, The Netherlands
Email: E pedaal@zeelandnet.nl

13 May 2012
Café De Blauwe Wolk - Grotstraat 22 9620 Zottegem Belgium
Tel: 32 495 524 782
Email: info@cafedeblauwewolk.be

17 May 2012
Le Silex - 7 Rue de l'Île aux Plaisirs 89000 Auxerre, France
Tel: 03 86 40 95 40
Email: contact@lesilex.fr

18 May 2012
La salle des fêtes de Vézelay, France

19 May 2012
Le Montmartre - 344, Ch de Waterloo - 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Tel: 02/640.23.49
Email: info@lemontmartre.be

09 Jun 2012
Òran Mór - Byres Road, Glasgow, G12 8QX
Tel: 0141 357 6200
Email: info@oran-mor.co.uk

28 Jul 2012
Village Goes Crazy Festival, Bredene, Belgium

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Had my first exposure to the Brothers Nimmo on Friday night at Darlington. Despite my right ear still not working (long, gross story), was very, very impressed with the guys, especially the twin guitar work; some of the best I've heard in 30 years of gigging. Can't comment on the "newer" material over older stuff, obviously nearly all of it was new to me, but a full East Hall at Darlington Arts lapped up every moment of the 90 minute main set as well as the stormin' Fire And Water cover encore.

Took me a couple of songs to get into the band, as I said, a first time for me even though I've seen Alan and King King several times over the last couple of years: it took a time in my mind to do the switch from "side project" to "main band". However, even though, to me, Alan is a more natural "front man", Stevie is a force to be reckoned with and the way the two just seemlessly fit together as well as share leads, Hell, its like having 3 bands for the price of one. Well worth the experience, and one I'll gladly repeat.

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:

Had my first exposure to the Brothers Nimmo on Friday night at Darlington. Despite my right ear still not working (long, gross story), was very, very impressed with the guys, especially the twin guitar work; some of the best I've heard in 30 years of gigging. Can't comment on the "newer" material over older stuff, obviously nearly all of it was new to me, but a full East Hall at Darlington Arts lapped up every moment of the 90 minute main set as well as the stormin' Fire And Water cover encore.

Took me a couple of songs to get into the band, as I said, a first time for me even though I've seen Alan and King King several times over the last couple of years: it took a time in my mind to do the switch from "side project" to "main band". However, even though, to me, Alan is a more natural "front man", Stevie is a force to be reckoned with and the way the two just seemlessly fit together as well as share leads, Hell, its like having 3 bands for the price of one. Well worth the experience, and one I'll gladly repeat.

Mike

You can't fail to be impressed by these guys live Mike - so pleased you enjoyed the gig. We only saw them for the first time last year, but managed to see them twice, and will be getting to the Flowerpot at Derby earlier than usual for their gig this Friday as it will no doubt be ram packed again. There is a real on stage chemistry between Alan and Stevie that flows through the music and into the audience, and the best of it is they look like they are having so much fun working together.  As for the new Album, Brother to Brother, it's top of my list for 2012 releases so far by a big margin. Lots of great riff driven pieces and powerful vocals, both of which conjure up memories of Free and Bad Company long before you get to the superb cover of "Wishing Well". A couple of really sweet slower bluesey numbers too, and I love the cover of Doyle Bramhall II's "Shape I'm In". Top Album! Can't wait for Friday.

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

Saturday night at Kinross was the first time I'd seen The Nimmo Brothers. I was expecting a good gig but they totally blew me away!! Both of them are great singers and their guitar work was quite simply awesome.
My mate and I bought 6 CDs between us after the gig, they were that impressive.
Looking forward to Oran Mor, Glasgow on 9th June.
Good to meet Duncan again too!

17 (edited by Kenny 2012-04-16 13:10:07)

Loving the new album which I bought at the gig on Saturday. Just how good is "Waiting for my heart to fall" ?Can't manage Glasgow in June though.................

Review of new album. I agree with Ian, album of the year so far.

http://bluesrockreview.com/2012/04/the- … eview.html