73 (edited by Greenose 2011-11-21 18:02:06)

Re: Overstepping The Mark

Well, I see there’s a few people on line just now, I wonder what you’re waiting for… smile
Firstly I’m sorry if this topic has been divisive, but I do think it has been valid in that it does show how different people perceive how it is to be a fan. I accept it’s not my place to tell others how to behalf, but I do find it odd that some people get worked up and heated about music, when music should be a release. I do wonder at the perception that some have about their relationship with Joe. In some cases he seems to have been exalted to almost biblical status. The devoted side that won’t hear a bad word, the militant side that wish to show they are the most loyal fan by mounting campaigns against injustices. I do find it concerning that someone can define their own identity and lifestyle by such a perception. Also it’s worth pointing out you are in the minority and happily I find most of Joe’s fans very well balanced people!

I don’t have the answers. I’m  just not that way inclined, and never have been. Sure maybe I analyse the music too much and the decisions behind it. However I’m happy just to turn up at the show at opening times, watch the band and then head for the door after the show.  By all means, be great fans for Joe, but please don’t let it dominate you, or let it become a dominating or negative influence on your own lives. I’m not referring specifically to certain individuals, maybe there’s something you can relate to, maybe not. It was certainly not all about Roy. Indeed I had no issue with the start of his thread, which clearly was well intentioned, only when it started to polarise did I think I should give my view. Roy, I’m sorry that the phrase ‘invented concern’ was not appreciated; bad choice of words, ‘perceived concern’ might have been a better way to put it.

I’ve decided to bow out of the forum permanently now, so I do wish you all the best for the future. Hearing about Joe and getting to know his music and some of the people associated with him has been a great experience so far, and I hope to stay in touch with some of you in the future.  I’m still a fan of Joe, I’ll still be attending his shows (next one in March) and I’ll still be spreading word about his music to others.
All the best!

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Re: Overstepping The Mark

Thank you, and good night.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith