Topic: Overstepping The Mark

To date I’ve always found this forum to be a welcoming place where people have joined because they’ve found something they identify with Joe’s music. It’s a great place with many fans of Joe from around the world. Yet at times what I’ve found is that some forumees, quite often the ‘older heads’ have been overstepping the mark and in my view taken the discussions too far where they’ve chosen to focus too personally on Joe: speculating on his health, his workload etc and this kind of intrusion I believe is going too far. Some appear to have taken the fan worship approach to a stage where to the outsider, it actually appears quite creepy. Let’s remember it’s Joe’s music that brings us here and unites us and that’s what the focus should always be on.

I’ve met Joe on a few occasions and he seems to be a pretty grounded guy with a good support of trusted people around him. One of the great things about this forum is that Joe himself posts on this forum and I’ve always enjoyed reading his contributions and perspectives. So I don’t feel particularly confortable to read posts which speculate as to how he is, or what he should be doing. That’s his choice and his life to lead. We’re just here to enjoy his music and spread the word to others, not talk about him like he’s not here, about his own personal life.  The discussions from yesterday which have now vanished from the forum do suggest to me that like myself there are others who feel certain forum members have become a little too involved, imparting advice and instruction, looking to fight too heavily for what they percieve as Joe's cause and exalting him to a status where no dissenting word can be said. I’ve seen people from this forum post virtually non-stop about Joe on social networking sites too.  This I believe is taking their passion for his music too far, indeed to the stage where it becomes obsessive and intrusive for others. Whether you have seen Joe 50 times in 50 states and met him on each occasion or just logged into his forum for the first time today having heard him on the radio, we are all just the same: fans of his music. He does not need a surrogate mother or father, leading him or casting scorn on others who do not choose to be as involved as they do in all things Joe. No hierarchy of fans is needed. Where we feel we have thoughts or insights into Joe’s life these should remain personal thoughts, they should not manifest themselves into intrusion or instruction no matter how well meaning they appear to be.

While music can be a great therapy and escape from the troubles of everyday life, I feel some might be transferring some of their modern day stresses too vocally into expressions of concern or defence for Joe.   If Joe needs advice or instruction, I’m sure he has enough trusted people around him that he can approach and take counsel with. So I’d generally like to say, without wishing to offend anyone, that maybe some might like to take some time to sit back and put their admiration for Joe back into perspective. Music is an entertainment, not an obsession. You risk turning people off by going in too strong. Please let’s use Joe’s forum for the common good and remember why we all joined, rather than fall out. There’s no need to make enemies of other fans of Joe, nor to make enemies of those who don’t like Joe.  Let’s try to keep it positive for Joe, and for ourselves alike.
Thanks

Greenose AKA Duncan

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Re: Overstepping The Mark

Well stated.

Thoughtful and articulate, Duncan. Nothing there that I would disagree with.

As for last night - the topic you refer to was deleted by the original poster, not by a mod.

The topic asking what had happened to the first topic was then also deleted by its original poster.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Greenose wrote:

There’s no need to make enemies of other fans of Joe, nor to make enemies of those who don’t like Joe.  Let’s try to keep it positive for Joe, and for ourselves alike.
Thanks

Greenose AKA Duncan

Much as it pains this Irishman to agree with a Scot ( wink ),  I second the motion.  Just because the word "fan" is short for "fanatic" doesn't mean those of us who enjoy Joe's music/showmanship have to live up (or down) to that standard of conduct...

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

In Frankfurt a guy tried to chase me away from my place in the front row arguing that he knows Joe better and longer than me. Of course there is a huge ego circus going around Joe, but that´s human. I agree with all you´ve written, Duncan.
Günter

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Guenter wrote:

Of course there is a huge ego circus going around Joe, but that´s human.

I guess I missed the excitement, but I agree that the voyeurism can go to an extreme, along the lines of speculating on the man's moods and bodily functions.  Even in the era of "reality tv," too much is too much, especially in his own house, IMO.

And Guenter, I love your phrase "ego circus."  Sounds like a good name for a band or a song.

Thanks folks, had a couple of emails on the subject already today. Seriously I really think some people do need to take a step back, Don't worry about Joe, don't lose sleep over Joe and don't go into debt for Joe. And don't write about him more than you listen to him!

It's not just about one post or forum member, I've seen subjects on here about Joe's health, Joe's weight, Joe's relationships, even Joe's clothes! To my knowledge none of these issues have ever spoiled a live show by Joe or any other aspect of Joe's musical work, so in my view there's no reason for us to get involved. Let's enjoy the music and let him concern himself with the rest.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)

I agree with you 100% Greenose.  You said it all man. -S

Likewise. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

I like the way Joe dresses onstage.  I think it's part of his shtick, his persona.  smile That being said, I know perfectly well there's a dozen that will disagree, favoring the "refugee from hell look."  That's cool.  I like the sit down shows, mostly cause I'm in pain all too often, while G-Hammer favors a more intimate press.  All cool.  That's what makes the world go round.

Joe is accessible.  Stardom invites invasion of privacy, at times.  People with no boundaries will take liberties, no matter what.  We have a thread about drunks being impolite at Joe Shows.  I took MsTia to a movie (a rare treat) and there was a chick in there who talked through it like she was in her living room on the phone.  It is rude.  Your mother taught you better or should have.

When I see this pathology "erupt" on this forum of all places, I get concerned.  I agree that it's time to ease back.  Whether anybody else does or not.  Anybody can have a bad day.  I've over reached when emotional in more places than this forum.  I usually catch it before anyone else does.  The fact that the original poster deleted the corresponding thread is encouraging to me.  The self-policing is a step in the right direction.

Peace
MuchLove
BigJeffJones

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

11 (edited by BluesMan 2011-11-20 12:05:05)

bigjeffjones wrote:

The fact that the original poster deleted the corresponding thread is encouraging to me.  The self-policing is a step in the right direction.

Peace
MuchLove
BigJeffJones

The original poster deleted the thread because, he and another forum member felt that new members might be a bit intimidated to post a question or an opinion for fear of being made fun of. The original poster had thought the issue was done upon deleting the thread, I guess they were wrong.

Yes, peace is a wonderful word, but be careful showing too much love BJ, it might be thought that you're showing an "invented concern".

Roy

Joe is the Best!

BluesMan wrote:
bigjeffjones wrote:

The fact that the original poster deleted the corresponding thread is encouraging to me.  The self-policing is a step in the right direction.

Peace
MuchLove
BigJeffJones

The original poster deleted the thread because, he and another forum member felt that new members might be a bit intimidated to post a question or an opinion for fear of being made fun of. The original poster had thought the issue was done upon deleting the thread, I guess they were wrong.

Yes, peace is a wonderful word, but be careful showing too much love BJ, it might be thought that you're showing an "invented concern".

Roy

Email to you.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

I am new to the forum and didn't see the post in question, but I have to agree with what everyone has stated here.  It's Joe's music that has brought us all together.  The fact the Joe is such a nice guy and makes himself accessible doesn't give one person over another a right to enjoy him more or claim ownership.  Having recently met him, well you just can't help but like the guy!  SO while I'm a proud member of the Baltimore Street Team, and will continue to support Joe whenever I can, I also appreciate and respect that Joe's private life and his choices, are simply that, his own.

bigjeffjones wrote:
BluesMan wrote:
bigjeffjones wrote:

Peace
MuchLove
BigJeffJones

Roy

Email to you.

Got it and am responding. Oh, and for anyone that needs to know, Big Jeff asked me if I have any special tips on how to grill a 20 pound Turkey on a Weber charcoal grill. As you know, we're both connoisseurs of fine food, or is it just plain "sewers" of fine food? Oh well, same thing. smile

Roy

Joe is the Best!

Greenose wrote:

So I don’t feel particularly confortable to read posts which speculate as to how he is, or what he should be doing. That’s his choice and his life to lead.

I think you should re read your post, The next step for Joe. As you say in your post "It's just my personal opinion", but you still felt the need to let us have it.

No matter how far you try to push the envelope, it remains stationery

Relayer wrote:
Greenose wrote:

So I don’t feel particularly confortable to read posts which speculate as to how he is, or what he should be doing. That’s his choice and his life to lead.

I think you should re read your post, The next step for Joe. As you say in your post "It's just my personal opinion", but you still felt the need to let us have it.

Maybe you should too, I recall that was a discussion about music...

.I just hope that some people haven't jumped ship,I think everyone who is here regularly are great people.Greenose thanks for "keeping it real".

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

18 (edited by gsj 2011-11-20 16:52:06)

Duncan, very well put.

Roy, no fun being made of other members as far as I'm concerned, I was serious.

Also, I started and I deleted the thread that followed Roy's. Maybe time we moved forward?

Geoff

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young