1 (edited by PeterC-Australia 2011-05-26 09:35:53)

Topic: Melbourne, Australia 27 May 2011

Hi All,  Just home and still buzzing big-time from seeing Joe and the guys tonight.  Venue was The Palais Theatre in St Kilda (inner Melbourne suburb) and audience numbered around 2,000 - theatre capacity is 2800 (3 tiered job with stalls, lounge and dress circle), so a great turnout and fabulous atmosphere.

Joe strode out looking enthusiastic and seemed delighted to have a great venue and large crowd whom he acknowledged with a couple of waves before ripping into his set.  Set list I'll leave to someone else but was largely like Sydney except that 'Further On...' and 'Blues Deluxe' were dropped and others inserted.  Thankfully he didn't repeat the inclusion of Ian Moss as he did in Sydney - from what I've read and seen on Youtube that was a disappointment.

The backline gear was [thankfully] true and trouble free. Sound was very very good.  Cannot speak in technical terms but the Marshall quad amp stack was there with miked speakers and perspex sound baffle (?) in front.  Rick and Tal were both on raised platforms.  I think 5 guitars were used, the 59 Les Paul was used ALOT.

The dynamics of the group has sure changed since the visit in 2010 when Bogie was drumming.  As I've read previously there is a tangible connection between Carmine and Tal and Tal hardly takes his eyes off Joe - the three are as tight as tight can be.  Poor old Rick looks like the odd man out, but I also sense he's kinda happy with the arrangement and hangs in there with rhythym and the occasional highlight.  I actually heard the keyboards a few times this gig unlike last year at the much smaller venue (Corner Hotel capacity about 250-300).

Highlights for me were Young Man Blues, Sloe Gin and Just Got Paid.  Of course ALL the other tracks were great, but these three did it for me!

And Joe seemed rapt with the show.  In fact he said he'd be back - that's one promise he will be made to keep for sure.

One last note, Melbourne audiences are (by law) required to remain seated in venues like this.  they even had signs up about it and it's frustrating for us as members of the audience to toe the line.  So when Joe came out for the encore of Just Got Paid, he was waving his arms and calling out  "Get up...Get the f@#$ up.." so we were more than happy to oblige.  What are they gonna do - throw everyone out at the end of the show??  It's not like we didn't WANT to get up and groove along but we're discouraged to do so.  That's where a small venue like last year's Corner Hotel is more exciting from that perspective.

Anyway, that's it.  I'm sure others will add their bits etc.  Now to wait and wait for the next tour (maybe BCC will come out?!).

Goodnight all.

Peter C.

Peter C.

So much Blues, So little time...

Re: Melbourne, Australia 27 May 2011

Great review Pete.....I ws sitting a few seats along from you haha.
3rd row from stage.....joe was sweating on us
Now that was a GREAT rock show

Percy the Draw wrote:

Hey Percy thanks.  Have you seen Sean Clohesy's photos on JBXP?  This link http://jbxp.net/albums/view/2171.  He was front row and more centred than where I was to the left further.  My own pics are horrible (damned Blackberry is crappola but company issue) but can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/psc51/sets … 813553196/  if desperate  smile

I've just created a group in JBXP for the local punters - BonaMelbourne .  Hope you join in and spread the word.  Cheers.  cool

Peter C.

Great review Peter. I agree with everything - it was unbelievable. I thought it would be hard to top the Corner Hotel from last year but Joe and the band did it. Tal Bergman was fantastic.

We were in the second row and to see Joe up close like that was such a privilege. I took some photos but haven't had a chance to check them out yet, so if they are any good I will put them up. The sound and the mix was excellent. I thought Joe only used 4 guitars - the '59 (so happy that made the trip), JBLP Goldtop with a Bigsby, another LP which was more of a tabacco burst with nice a flame and the acoustic. Can't tell you about the amps, but there were 4 and they all said Marshall so that is good enough for me  smile

There was some comment in another thread somewhere about the Australian shows not selling out, but to go from the Corner to The Palais in one year with pretty much zero airplay is a fantastic feat and a great credit to Joe and his team.

A mate of mine went who was not a huge Joe fan, but has just bought Dust Bowl and likes it a lot - I texted him this morning to see what he thought of the gig and this was his reply: "Just staggering. Awesome talent. Never seen skills like that. Ever." And so, another Bonamaniac is born.

Speaking of which. we are expecting a baby in October, so although the youngster is still in the womb it's first ever gig was Joe Bonamassa  big_smile

The set list was the same as for Perth, so I have borrowed (stolen) this from Stephonix great review:

Cradle Rock
So Many Roads
When The Fire Hits The Sea
So, It's Like That
If Heartaches Were Nickels
Slow Train
Dust Bowl
Sloe Gin
The Ballad of John Henry
Steal Your Heart Away
Midnight Blues
Young Man Blues
Woke Up Dreaming
Django
Mountain Time
Encore:
Just Got Paid/D and C

Joe and the guys seemed to really enjoy the gig, and you are right - we will hold him to the "We'll be back" comment.

Great reviews gents. Loving to hear from first hand accounts that things went well after the equipment disaster in Newcastle. I saw in another post that Joe even tossed in a few bars of Stratus in the medly. Now that had to have been special. Thanks for giving us the accounts and picture links.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Congratulations on the news that you & you're partner are expecting Grey!

And thanks for tidying up the detail re guitars and playlist.  The story about your mate who has just got religion typifies how the word of Joe spreads I reckon.  I also drew in at least one more after last night.  I just hope the gig venues don't become too large - seriously.     

How about joining us on the BonaMelbourne group in JBXP.  Maybe you can contribute an image or icon for our identity?

Peter C.

PeterC-Australia wrote:

Congratulations on the news that you & you're partner are expecting Grey!

And thanks for tidying up the detail re guitars and playlist.  The story about your mate who has just got religion typifies how the word of Joe spreads I reckon.  I also drew in at least one more after last night.  I just hope the gig venues don't become too large - seriously.     

How about joining us on the BonaMelbourne group in JBXP.  Maybe you can contribute an image or icon for our identity?

Thanks Peter. I will look into JBXP - I haven't really had a good look at what it is all about.

You are right that it is the way word about Joe gets around. We already have some people kicking themselves they didn't go last night - so I am sure that they will be there next time.

Grey wrote:

Great review Peter. I agree with everything - it was unbelievable. I thought it would be hard to top the Corner Hotel from last year but Joe and the band did it. Tal Bergman was fantastic.

We were in the second row and to see Joe up close like that was such a privilege. I took some photos but haven't had a chance to check them out yet, so if they are any good I will put them up. The sound and the mix was excellent. I thought Joe only used 4 guitars - the '59 (so happy that made the trip), JBLP Goldtop with a Bigsby, another LP which was more of a tabacco burst with nice a flame and the acoustic. Can't tell you about the amps, but there were 4 and they all said Marshall so that is good enough for me  smile

There was some comment in another thread somewhere about the Australian shows not selling out, but to go from the Corner to The Palais in one year with pretty much zero airplay is a fantastic feat and a great credit to Joe and his team.

A mate of mine went who was not a huge Joe fan, but has just bought Dust Bowl and likes it a lot - I texted him this morning to see what he thought of the gig and this was his reply: "Just staggering. Awesome talent. Never seen skills like that. Ever." And so, another Bonamaniac is born.

Speaking of which. we are expecting a baby in October, so although the youngster is still in the womb it's first ever gig was Joe Bonamassa  big_smile

The set list was the same as for Perth, so I have borrowed (stolen) this from Stephonix great review:

Cradle Rock
So Many Roads
When The Fire Hits The Sea
So, It's Like That
If Heartaches Were Nickels
Slow Train
Dust Bowl
Sloe Gin
The Ballad of John Henry
Steal Your Heart Away
Midnight Blues
Young Man Blues
Woke Up Dreaming
Django
Mountain Time
Encore:
Just Got Paid/D and C

Joe and the guys seemed to really enjoy the gig, and you are right - we will hold him to the "We'll be back" comment.

What a superb concert, we were quite lucky too, 5 rows from the front. In anticipation  after his first visit in Melbourne at the "Corner Hotel" there was no way known we were not going to miss out a second time!! Blues rock at it's finest with plenty of power to the max. His tribute to the late Gary Moore with "Midnight Blues" was a great addition to his set list.
Highlights there were many, the above tribute and i must admit every song was a highlight,
but there is track that always sends a shiver up and down the spine "Sloe Gin" all in all a stunning concert!!

Thanks Peter for the mention. I was pretty much Dead Centre & had a ball

The logo for the new group on JBXP is working for me big_smile

PeterC-Australia wrote:
Percy the Draw wrote:

Hey Percy thanks.  Have you seen Sean Clohesy's photos on JBXP?  This link http://jbxp.net/albums/view/2171.  He was front row and more centred than where I was to the left further.  My own pics are horrible (damned Blackberry is crappola but company issue) but can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/psc51/sets … 813553196/  if desperate  smile

I've just created a group in JBXP for the local punters - BonaMelbourne .  Hope you join in and spread the word.  Cheers.  cool

Just an update on the JBXP group - we decided BonaMelbourne wasn't fair on the rest of the country so a new group 'Bonaustralia' has been established.  Come along and join in with other Joe enthusiasts living in the sunburnt country!

One of Sean's images taken of Joe at the Melbourne gig is used for the group artwork.  Thanks Sean!!   smile

Peter C.

Bonaustralia!!  I love it...  Thats killer..  One of the best ones..  My favorite is still Bona-grail..
Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Bonaustralia!!  I love it...  Thats killer..  One of the best ones..  My favorite is still Bona-grail..
Joe B

Thanks for the blessing Joe!  And thanks for the brilliant tour - we know the huge commitment it is for you and the team to travel here.

Peter C.

I just had to post a review..Being a recently new fan of Joe's (6 months) and having all his albums and his 2 DVD's I was really looking forward to seeing him live. The guy has a great voice and is, as we all know, a truly amazing guitar player. When he plays the blues he is up there with the best of them..but the show at the Palais in Melbourne last week was a real let down for me. And I'm not the only one. I caught up with 8 other people who were there and we all thought the same. The sound was muddy. Joe's voice was garbled most of the time unfortunately. Simply uninteligable, which was a shame as his voice is so unique. And the drummer was simply was too loud for the band. And what was the keyboard player doing? Literally impossible to hear him.

I was sitting in the first few rows, in the middle of the upstairs lounge. I notice all the other reviewers who thought the sound was great were downstarirs and close to the stage. maybe the sound engineer just got it horribly wrong and didn't mix it right. Shame, as these days that is simply intolerable.

There were highlights. His great homage to Gary Moore was sensational. I could almost sense Gary on stage with Joe when he played Midnight Blues. Wouldn't it be great if Joe could pick up some more of Gary's songs as he is just a sensational as Gary was..Maybe a tribute album, a bit like Gary did on Peter Green a few years ago. I'd love to hear Joe do Parisienne Nights.

Not wanting to take anything away from his superb skill, I wonder if he needs to show us so often how good he is. His skill speaks for itself. A few times it was sounding a bit too thashy for me and a few of us thought the same..but if that's where he is heading so be it..Django was wonderful to hear and watch him play, If Heartaches Were Nickels lost some of its greatness in the mix..pity as it's a great song..when Joe plays the blues I personally think he's at his best. Let Jeff Beck get esoteric.

Would I see him again? Absolutely. Just hope he gets a better sound engineer next time..and BTW its isn't the venues fault. I've heard many a great band play there (Chicago most recently) and when they can get it right ts a fabulous venue..so hopefully his next trip downunder to eat kangaroo won't be too long