Topic: Intro- You can teach an old dog new tricks...Long Post

New to Joe-That said, it was my daughter's 15'th birthday that got me to even check him out. Being a 'classic rock' guy in my early 50's, my daughter (who's also into classic rock as a result of my taking to the Bridge concert since she was 10) loves all rock and can be heard saying, "Dad, I really wish I grew up in the 70's". Anyway, the Neil bug (Neil Young) got into her at an early age, and from that others- most recently Led Zeppelin. She got into enough to start a school paper where there wasn't (can you believe it- a high school that didn't have a paper?). Anyway, she's enrolled in a Broadcast Journlism course and writing about bands. She asked me to read over what's she's written and I see all these names that I am only vaguely familiar with reviews on the artists, and recommended songs. I remember vaguely her trying to have me listen to Joe after she discovered him on XM radio. I listended, but didn't hear enough to be stoked, and just put the name in the back burner. While seeing who was playing locally @ the Canyon in Agoura, Ca., saw Joe's name, and wanting to be sure, checked out her write up again to make sure. Once I confirmed it was one and the same, I knew that for her 15'th birthday it would probably be a treat. So, last Thursday I suprised her by taking her there with her still not knowing what show was playing. It was funny as the opening act (the guy who wrote "Hocus Pocus") did this show and we loved it. My daughter still didn't have a clue as the MC thanked the opening act and then announced who was coming on next- my daughter pratically leaped over me with excitment. I love it. But still, wasn't that familiar with his work- and only what she had played through her laptop. I also brought my taping gear (use a PDA set-up) and thought it would be cool if she had a souvenir of the show- I'm still a neophte as my equipment can be buggy. Anyway, Joe came on right away and didn't have my mics set right and as a result had some brickwalling for a bit as the levels were too high- anyway, caught most of it (an hour's worth) but the acoustics in this venue are not the best (the Canyon) but the music was awesome despite the mix mudding up his vocals (sounds like the mixer could of been from the HOB which is another poorly mixed board) but loved Joe's playing. Omni's pick up a bit (as those of you who use  DPA know) and I'm glad that his playing pretty much drowned out the narrators behind me- you know the type- they come to narriate the show or sing along and it's hard to pull a good recording but none the less they have just as much a right as me to be there, but I came to hear Joe and not the audience. Rant mode off. Anyway, as a result of it, I've become a fan, and am glad to hear that he's taper friendly. My problem now is going to be coming up to speed with name of the songs so that I can put a setlist to what I have. If anyone has a FTP they want to share, I'm willing to upload  if you get a hold of me offlist (no, I haven't done Dime yet). Just a caution that I only have a partial show as my setup cut out after an hour- so I missed a few good cuts (like his cover of a Zep song mixed in- my daughter thought he was doing -and I'm guessing- Oceans?) anyway, she's now the expert, and growing in knowledge. I love it- except she wants to be a writer for one of the rags-which has me concerned but she's still young. She's a blues lover (from her Zep influence) and whenever we hit the annual Bayon Festival(they just started the Blues a few years ago) she parks over there. Anyway, would love to see Joe play again locally and when he does, I'll be there as well. Well, that's about it.

Re: Intro- You can teach an old dog new tricks...Long Post

Hey, welcome to the board!! I think it's cool that your daughter turned YOU on to Joe, and it's wonderful that so many people in the younger generation are getting more into classic rock and blues.

Mary

LOL-ler-tastic.

Great story, glad your daughter has such good taste in music!  Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of knowledgeable folks on here.  Joe checks into the forum as well...

Music is good for the Soul...

I'm with Mary. The line between Blues and Rock is where Joe rides!!!!!! Welcome!! Your daughter is a genius!!!!     Cathy

Wow-great welcome- thanks- we'll she's no genius (tested @ 134) but she's smart- just an old soul. And, totally into all the details of music. Started with Zep, then read up on them and discovered Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson (that's who she told me about as far as I can recall now) and now newer stuff like JB and "The Black Keyes". My only worry isn't so much what most parents worry about if their kids get into music, but how she'll make a living- I know, she's only 15 and why worry , but she's got that dreamer thing going. Anyway, back on the subject- she'll be promoting Joe I'm sure through her exposure to future concerts and her love of the whole thing with Rock- heck, she easily passes me and everyone else when it comes to discussion of music- the kids a walking encyclopedia. Anyway, that's it for now. Now into sponge mode ;-)

Surf1Div1:

Welcome and thanks for posting - I really enjoyed your comments and havbe to tell you that I am really impressed with your 15 year old daughter. I suppose when most girls her age are listening to hip hop or whoever the latest 'teeny-bopper (is that word still in use..??) star is, it's very refreshing to hear about somebody of such a tender age with such mature tastes.

I'm another one of the "half-century" guys around here and a long time guitar player who has only glommed onto Joe in the last month or so (I've heard his cd's now and see a few videos but have not had the pleasure of seeing him live yet - still looking forward to that).

Hey, I have to ask you - as someone who grew up in Los Angeles and spent way too much time at the beaches around LA surfing, are or were you a surfer - just going by the nickname.

Anyways, welcome - the people here are as nice a gorup as you would want to "meet".

All the best to you and your daughter.

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

great story, welcome aboard, you should get your daughter to post some opinions on the forum here. great to see there still iis some hope that rock and blues can still keep on going from one generation to another. I have had no luck with my 9 yr old daughter. her mom has had her hooked on hip hop since the begining.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Thanks again for the welcome- my daughter will get to post I'm sure soon- but probably lurk as most of you aren't too aged to recall how we were at that age around adults (thoughI do recall that I got along better with them better and was treated better by adults then my contemporaries at that stage). In any case, my daughter's only real identifying with her peers age's music was prior to her exposure to adults and concerts- i.e. 10 years old- Brittiny Spears. After seeing Neil, and meeting all these adults I distinctly remember getting ready to leave camp- Saratoga Springs in Saratoga, Ca. She started welling up with tears. Not of just sadness, but happiness to have experienced adults, music and cameraderie. She came home and wished she got a guitar and read my book on Neil (Shakey) and for a 10 year old was blown away with all the historical facts.  It seems that every year I would take her to these annual Bridge concerts, she would pick up another artist discovered from the show (the next year it was the RHCP - and picked up the book Scar Tissue and read that one. Well, five years later, she had become insatiagble in her appetitie to classic rock, and am not sure how she got into Zep, but from that been motivated towards the Blues. The clincher for me was when I hit the Bayou Festival in Long Beach, and normally she'll take to the Cajun/Zydeco music. Two years ago though, I could not break her away from the Blues stage. Possibly it was the rock similarity, but she never strayed, and last year, didn't even bother with the Zyedeco as she hung out with that area throughout the sets, asking me to come check out some guitarist. Too funny- and then one of my classmates (yes, I'm back in school for motorcycle repair as I recently picked up a bike) was a pirate radio jock up in Frisco, and now a column writer for the LA Times. This writer, knowing my daugther wanted to become a writer for music, and knowing that my daughter was now into Blues asked if she had heard about the Black Keyes and said I didn't know (I guess I'm now sounding old as us adults are busy with life and not really following their music) but when I got home asked my daughter if she heard about them, again, she was . I then downloaded some of their live stuff (btw- live music is better!) and then fell in love with that too. So, now my daughter get's credit for introducing me to another style that up to this year haven't really been exposed to in any great way. Not to mention she's so stoked to turn her father on to something that her father didn't first turn on to. You can only imagine how stoked she is by that fact (I'm sure that she's also letting her friends know as well which I'm sure most normal kids did in our days). If I'm long winded writing this , it's because I'm listening to my recording of JB(acoustic "High Water" is now playing). I guess with earphones this is sounding better then I thought it sounded while at the venue. Love listening to this music- just bummed that I missed capturing the whole show. Anyway, re: LA Surfing- Yes, though not nearly as much- and LA is still some of my stomping grounds- like your avitar- use to hit Todos in the early 80's and have introduced my daughter to a bit of that since she's good in the water. Surfing and Diving were my main passion until the girls got older.  Taught for LA County SCUBA(NAUI/PADI cross trained) so was and am pretty much the outdoor type. But with kids, my prioritites have been the kids and reacreation- thus my daughters exposure to music, etc. Anyway, while I've got to hit it- one thing I noticed- my daugther was the youngest kid at the show- probably because it was a Thursday evening. But it was her birthday, and I'm sure that this will go down as one of the more memorable ones she's had. And, I'm sure that she will be turning on her peers as she's done with some of them to the Blues. I think, IMHO that if as parents, we expose them ginergly to music they come around. First, to just be with their parents. I don't force anything on them- and in fact, have use my annual trek to Bridge as a reward if they get honor roll in school- so far, it's worked.
Surf1div1

9 (edited by Fretwork 2007-05-25 06:21:10)

Hey Surf,
Welcome to the forum!  Great story about you and your daughter.  Don't worry about your daughter's future if she chooses music.  As long as it is what she loves, that should be all that matters.

If your daughter does not already have one, I would highly recommend a Rock Discography for her to expand her knowledge and love for music.  I have one in my studio.  It was a gift from one of my student's.  I read it whenever I get a chance.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Surf,
Welcome to the forum! Awesome that your daughter has such great musical tastes (you must have brought her up right) and then that she reciprocated by turning you on to Joe! My daughters are 21 and 24. I brought them to a Joe show and they've been to at least 8 shows since then. They love Joe and won't miss a show in our area for anything.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"