Topic: Joe @ Phoenix, 5/16/2007

Okay - this is a bit early (it's only 8AM), but all I'm thinkin' about is getting to the show tonight! Hope to see the place packed!

There aren't any tickets available (through Ticketmaster) so I'm guessing it's sold out. Cool! (I got mine quite a while ago so I'll be there).

If anyone wants to say hi, I'm wearing a light green polo shirt and gray shorts, dark brown (sorta long) hair, and I'm not skinny. See ya!

Re: Joe @ Phoenix, 5/16/2007

rmorter, wish I was going!!!!!  Being stoked is part of the process!!  Kinda Joe foreplay! Sold out is great news since you have your ticket! Please leave a review!! Have a great time..Cathy

Randy, it's never to early to start talking about an upcoming show. You are the first to mention on the forum that they are going tonight.  Rock on....

Music is good for the Soul...

Oh man, what a show!

Sorry, but no set list. I will say he did If Heartaches Were Nickles - on acoustic with the band. Too cool - thanks Joe!

I've got a bit to say, so bear with me...

I hadn't seen this band line up - it's the third band I've seen Joe with in 3 years. It's the first time I had any inkling he's got a keyboardist. That is a great addition - not that Joe was bad before, but I really like keys and they way they can compliment the guitar. The piano and Hammond sounds were excellent.

The new bass player and drummer were both great as well. I like the 5 string bass & the extra low notes it offers. The drummer did a great solo towards the end of the show - I would have liked a bass solo too!

Sorry I don't remember the band members names - and I can't find them on the web site either. The band members should have some mention on Joe's website...

Joe played a lot of new material since I last saw him with his band in 2005 (I did just see him last month in Phoenix doing an acoustic show). I thought it was really good, much more sophisticated and refined than his earlier work which was already top notch. The new material sounded more Santana / Schon like - more legato (?sp) phrases that were more emotional and melodic than what Joe's done in the past. The songs were at the same time very powerful. There were times when I think the entire audience was mesmerized - they got really quiet, intensly watching and listening. You go Joe!

Joe mainly used non-strat type guitars (he used a strat once, maybe for a couple of songs). Most of the time he played on gibsons, which was weird. He got some good gibson tones, but I found myself missing the cut and attack of the fender at times. There were a few solos on the les pauls that were probably better due to being played on an LP, but I'm really more of a Strat type of guy and enjoy the way a strat cuts through a mix.

Joe said the new material will be out on an album due this August - I can't wait!

The crowd was very engaged and supportive, shouting out "JOE" quite often. I met 2 couples that had never seen Joe before. One couple had heard Joe on the radio that morning and had to see him after hearing him play his acoustic live. The other couple had driven from New Mexico to see Jimmy Thackery play the night before and to also see Joe (with never having heard of him). Both couples were amazed and became fans.

Standing in line before the show and talking to people, we all agreed that it's a friggin shame that Joe doesn't get more recognition or play time on the radio. It also seemed unanimous that most kids these days just don't understand or appreciate real talent and proficiency. Everyone needs to work harder to get the word out about Joe! I know I've told probably everyone I know about him!

I do have a few bummer things to bring up, though...

Joe's vocals were not up enough in the front of house mix. Joe played with dynamics a lot and when the band was playing quietly his vocals were fine. But most of the time you couldn't tell what he was singing which sucked on the new songs. BTW, I was sitting directly in front of the stage, they have small JBL's mounted to the ceiling around the stage, one pointed directly at me. The rest of the mix was fine - although I would've brought the keys up just a bit too.

I don't like going to the venue Joe played at, at least when Joe's there. It's the 2nd time I've seen him there, and both times they've sold out a standing room only performance. The place is just too small - if you're not right in front you can't see much at all. If you gotta go to the bathroom or get a beer, you're probably SOL getting back to the front. I'd think Joe could get into a bigger place in Phoenix, like the Marquee (saw Trower there last October). It's probably twice the capacity.

I'd really like to see Joe back at the Dodge Theater with his band - sharing the bill if necessary - but getting into a real arena would be wonderful. At 49 years old it isn't always fun to stand up for 3-4 hours, and I know I wasn't the oldest guy there!

And another small problem - no XXL shirts. I could loose weight but it doesn't look likely in the near future, so I would like to have got a XXL shirt. I got two XL's instead - maybe I can sew them together (or, at least my wife can wear them).

Great concert - I hope you make it back here again soon, Joe & band, but please get into a bigger venue in Phoenix (Cricket? Dodge Theater? Marquee? Tostito New Years Eve Block Party?)

Hey Randy, glad you enjoyed the show.  The new bass player is Carmine Rojas, Bogie Bowles on Drums and Rick Melick on the ivories. 

Can't wait on the new CD.

Each room can have their weak spots and hot spots.

Music is good for the Soul...

Thanks for the insight Randy. As Joe gets bigger I imagine larger venues will be needed. I also pay for standing too long, but if that's what it takes, I'm all over it! Someday we'll be looking back wistfully at the times when we could see him in intimate venues!

BluesMan wrote:

Hey Randy,

Joe is going to larger seated venues. Last year in Milwaukee he was at Shank Hall which has a capacity of 300. They only had maybe 25 to 30 chairs in front of the stage and fortunately, my wife and I were in the first row standing. Counting getting to the show over an hour early, we stood for over 4 hours. You're right, it is a lot of wear and tear on my almost 54 year old legs. In November Joe will be at Pitman Theatre which SEATS 930. Plus, and this is the BIG PLUS, I can bring my chidren to the show too!! (Joe, do you hear me?) So hang in there, Joe's popualrity is growing and growing.

Hey, by the way, excellent report!

Glad to hear this is a big theatre. I've been trying to decide whether to make the road trip to Oneida this year, seeing as Joe will be playing the banquet room, but I'm thinking this show would work out better.

I'm just saying.

Randy,

I can relate to the standing, the sound problems, and the visibility problems.  We had the same problem at the House of Blues in Dallas.  However, I will say that Joe was amazing because my wife and I were standing 3 feet in front of Joe.  Joe is coming back to Dallas in October and playing at Cowboys, which is a great place to see him at and cannot wait.  My wife took our 12 year old son to the 2nd show and I can tell you that he does appreciate great music.  We have been grooming him on the blues and great rock and roll.  He is probably one of the few that does.  I really liked the 3 new tracks Joe played and cannot wait till the new CD comes out.  It is unfortunate that there are not more great songwriters and musicians that tour these days.  It seems that radio is for the absurd.  Although, in we just got a new station in Dallas, TX called Lonestar, 92.5 fm, and we heard Joe on the radio for the first time.  They have played a few of his songs now, so maybe there is hope.  I can also say with confidence that the sound problems were not Joe's fault.  I have never seen such persistence on quality sound at a show.  It was the venue.  Thanks for the writeup of the AZ show.  I welcome you to come to Texas and see Joe.  We will be there and my wife and I enjoy meeting fellow Joe fans.

Take care.

Clay Saylors

Ditto on the good to hear about Joe in nicer places. And, I also agree the intimacy factor goes down. However, maybe he could still do what I saw John Mayall do last year - he sat up a booth in the venue (Mesa Arts Center or something like that here near Phoenix) BEFORE he played and did a wonderful meet and greet and autograph signing. I thought it was cool.

I have thought about it too, the trade offs - last time I saw Joe at a night club (Martini Ranch in Scottsdale), I got to talk to him for about 5 minutes. NO ONE else that I've ever seen has been that gracious. Even last night he came out to get some food from a catering van in the venue parking lot, while there were probably 100 people in line. He was joking around with everyone.

He's just so wonderful that way, especially for someone who actually deserves the "star" or "superstar" title - he doesn't come off as pretentious. He's a genuinely nice, humorous guy. Which is a big part of why his show is so good - he's just an extremely talented guy doing some great music, and he doesn't make you feel like you should be worshiping him.

Going to a bigger venue can make that more difficult. But - I saw Joe at a nice big venue here last month, and although it was a different setting, I think he could easily keep the barriers to a minimum. As he matures he just gets better - and he started off fantastic!

I know I'm rambling here, but last night he was really working the crowd - getting the crowd to make noise, getting applause for other members of the band (oh - thanks for their names!), etc. There are a lot of other musicians who could learn from him. Blue Oyster Cult was my favorite band for many years, from perhaps 1973 to 1985 or so, but they're still one of a few bands I watch for to see if they're playing near me.

Last time I saw them in Portland, OR, probably in 2000, was at a place where I was actually standing with my folded arms resting right on the stage in front of their new (at the time) bass player. At the end of their show, the new bass player is the only one who'd shake hands with the audience. I'd been a Don Roeser fan for dam near 30 years and he wouldn't even hardly look at the audience. That ticked me off and I haven't seen them since. I want to, but I'll never forget how rude they were. I didn't care if I personally got to shake his hand or not (I'd have liked to), but he didn't interact with the crowd at all.

Joe is such a talent and a good guy - and that's what I tell everyone about him. He could be a stand offish rock star, but he's not. He seems to enjoy people. He obviously enjoys playing music, and playing it in front of people. I'm sure he likes the intimacy of a small venue. I'd just love to see him at an arena, though, filled, and getting the recognition and paycheck he deserves. Why does someone like Jessica Simpson draw more of a crowd?

rmorter wrote:

Joe mainly used non-strat type guitars (he used a strat once, maybe for a couple of songs). Most of the time he played on gibsons, which was weird. He got some good gibson tones, but I found myself missing the cut and attack of the fender at times.

Correction, he used a strat for one song ("Django").

I was a little disappointed in this show and this isn't Joe's fault; The mix was bad. I couldn't hear Joe's guitar that well and his vocals were way down.  The other two times I saw him at the rhythm room 

I've been a huge fan of Joe's for 10 years.  I think his best performance was that show he did at the Martini ranch a year and a half ago, either that or the show he did 2 years ago at the rhythm room. Those were both amazing shows.  His last show at the rhythm room had amazing playing but it felt like it was 110 degrees and it made it hard to enjoy the show.

The big news is that there was a keyboard player. After seeing this show I think Joe plays best with a trio.   The keyboard definitely added to certain songs but I just think that it sounded tighter when it was just a trio. That's just my opinion and maybe I'm in the minority.  I think the keyboard took away some of the edge

Yeah on the strat - I just said it was mainly gibsons. He also used the tele on a song or two. I've just been watching the Rockpalast DVD (which I picked up at the show) and enjoying it. Nothing against the new guys, but I really like that bass player (Eric?). I also got the New Day Yesterday DVD a couple of shows ago and have watched it uncountless times.

I too was at the shows at the Martini Ranch and Rhythm Room 2 years ago. I liked them a lot too.

But I really like keys, so I did enjoy this last show. In my band we've got a guy that plays keys and guitar both very well, so we can have keys on some songs and 2 guitars on others.

I do agree with the mix, as I mentioned earlier. I could have used a bit more guitar at times too, but since I play guitar I tend to either listen for it and pick it out of a mix easier, or I want it much louder than everything else so I have to force myself to be objective about it. But having more Joe in any mix is a good thing!

Bottom line is, I can't wait for Joe to get back to Phoenix and I'll show up no matter where it is. If it could be on a weekend it'd be even better - my wife and other people couldn't go because of the middle of the week show.

rmorter wrote:

I do have a few bummer things to bring up, though...

Joe's vocals were not up enough in the front of house mix. Joe played with dynamics a lot and when the band was playing quietly his vocals were fine. But most of the time you couldn't tell what he was singing which sucked on the new songs. BTW, I was sitting directly in front of the stage, they have small JBL's mounted to the ceiling around the stage, one pointed directly at me. The rest of the mix was fine - although I would've brought the keys up just a bit too.

This is not the first time that this has been mentioned recently; I also think it is a continuing issue. Joe's vocals are an instrument as well and on the new stuff is absolutely killer.

Vocals up in the mix please.

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

Rick was just added, along with Carmine on bass. Give them a little time to get their stuff together. Sounds like they're pretty close as it is.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Band is great. Very tight and taking JB to different places that haven't been explored before. Versatility is at an all time high, and it allows new arrangements to make Joe's classic tunes sound fresh and alive. It's great.

That being said, there has been a lot of talk lately about the mix of the show losing the vocals when the band gets loud, and not being able to notice keyboards unless it is an intro/outro or solo. I've heard it from more than one person and more than one show lately, before seeing it posted on the board today.

Vocals need to be up in the mix.

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

rmorter wrote:

Joe is such a talent and a good guy - and that's what I tell everyone about him. He could be a stand offish rock star, but he's not. He seems to enjoy people. He obviously enjoys playing music, and playing it in front of people. I'm sure he likes the intimacy of a small venue. I'd just love to see him at an arena, though, filled, and getting the recognition and paycheck he deserves. Why does someone like Jessica Simpson draw more of a crowd?

I agree....tell me why Kelly Clarkson is getting $110 per ticket at Mohegan Sun and Joe B getting $27 at Ridgefield Playhouse in CT????  You cannot compare the talent...

Its nice to hear that Joe is still hanging out with the fans and still so down to earth.  I saw him a few times a few years ago when he opened for Peter Frampton, and after every show he was out and about talking to everyone, signing, etc....

Thanks for the long reports...I'm enjoying reading them.

Caryl