1 (edited by RickB 2011-04-17 07:28:50)

Topic: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Just a short note. 3 AM and just back from the gig. The Spud was cooking tonight as Joe and friends just had a relaxed and good time jamming away. Mike Merritt on Bass, Tal Bergman on Drums, Ron deJesus on Guitar and Arlan Oscar on many keyboards and Moog.
1st set,
Mr. Clean
Fly Like an Eagle
Yes We Can Can
Steppin' Out
The Thrill is Gone
Ain't No Sunshine
Torn Down
Stratus.
Joe said it was a chance to break out his vintage guitars and have some fun.
His '53 blonde 225
His  '53 roadworn Telecaster
His  #52 JBLP
Our group of local fans with an added 4 from Massachusetts out for the gig were squeezed in like sardines with 40 others in the sold out tiny bar and treated to a dazzling display of musical prowess from this group of master musicians, the likes of which is rarely heard, as they stood on the low stage inches from us.
They played it all. Funk, Jazz, Blues, Rock and extended freeform jams with each swapping off for extended solos.
A short break and they were up for set 2 which was more jams with a 20+ minute Pusher Man, several others I should have remembered but don't, and finishing up with an extended orgy of Blues Deluxe.
Many vids and pictures to follow.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Sounds like you had a fantastic night Rick.  Bet there's loads of us who were wishing we could've been there to see this first hand, so the next best thing is awaiting the vids and photos. 

Thanks for posting!

3 (edited by Jane H. 2011-04-15 20:55:59)

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Thanks Rick for the quick report! I'll paste the link from the thread in other section here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVkAjluIWKE
i'll save watching for a moment tomorrow when i can fully appreciate it  big_smile
anticipating more

is that Joe's Torn Down in the setlist?
wow my head just exploded with other questions. will wait and see what gets revealed

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Jane H. wrote:

Thanks Rick for the quick report! I'll paste the link from the thread in other section here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVkAjluIWKE
i'll save watching for a moment tomorrow when i can fully appreciate it  big_smile
anticipating more

is that Joe's Torn Down in the setlist?
wow my head just exploded with other questions. will wait and see what gets revealed

Must be Jane. I was corrected elsewhere that it is Tore Down, but I have his handwritten set list in my hand and that is how he wrote it.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Here is the opening tune and band introduction. Mr. Clean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60CU8wNoNY4
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

RickB wrote:

Here is the opening tune and band introduction. Mr. Clean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60CU8wNoNY4
Rick

All I will say is......Magical........must've been quite a night, to say the least.

100% Certified 'Bona-Nut'

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Stepping Out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lneH-sWpKHI
Enjoy! Joe jamming and relaxed. A rare treat.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

someone got a vid up, i think its I'm Tore Down. i thought maybe it was Torn Down off of You and Me

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Jane H. wrote:

someone got a vid up, i think its I'm Tore Down. i thought maybe it was Torn Down off of You and Me

Yep, but you sure wouldn't recognize the version played that night Jane.  big_smile

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

RickB wrote:

Stepping Out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lneH-sWpKHI
Enjoy! Joe jamming and relaxed. A rare treat.
Rick

Fantabulous treat!!! Thanks!!!

100% Certified 'Bona-Nut'

11 (edited by Rocket 2011-04-16 21:40:17)

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

RickB wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

someone got a vid up, i think its I'm Tore Down. i thought maybe it was Torn Down off of You and Me

Yep, but you sure wouldn't recognize the version played that night Jane.  big_smile

That might (?) be the Sonny Thompson song covered most famously by Freddie King...

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

12 (edited by Rocket 2011-04-16 21:42:14)

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Rocket wrote:
RickB wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

someone got a vid up, i think its I'm Tore Down. i thought maybe it was Torn Down off of You and Me

Yep, but you sure wouldn't recognize the version played that night Jane.  big_smile

That might (?) be the Sonny Thompson song covered most famously by Freddie King...

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

Yup!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emPYqPqWed8  cool
Thanks Mindy!!!

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Yes We Can Can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE5QzdPzRPE
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Blimey,what a night THAT must've been! How..?what?....is this just the sort of thing joe does on a 'night off'??!! I don't know the details butwhat a treat for all there,eh? Crikey..... lol  lol  cool

Come on you Blades!

15 (edited by Jane H. 2011-04-19 05:37:17)

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

was Ain't no Sunshine instrumental or did Joe sing that one? Thanks

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Jane H. wrote:

was Ain't no Sunshine instrumental or did Joe sing that one? Thanks

As I recall, it was left out. Most were instrumentals that night. Joe sang on 3 songs. 6 or 7 total with vocals.
I posted this on the other thread but here is the last one from me. Starts with a shot of Joe's car and the queue of fansite folk, then a pan of the club, then on to the bit of Stratus. Check Ron's look when Joe switches in the Leslie and starts to shred at the end.  lol  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya2GwkPd2Ps

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

One more Potato "chip" from last Thursday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38gRJWhgHBY

Sorry this one gets cut off when Joe is jamming but couldn't help it as my battery died.  Still 9 minutes of funk!

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party at the Baked Potato

Gee, I thought I missed recording this, but it was still in the camera when I checked. Nice solo by Tal mid song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZc0QiCNf4
Fly Like An Eagle, instrumental with Moog.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381