Topic: Amarillo, Texas USA Gig on Friday 5-11-2007

Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for quite some time, and thanks to the urgings of a friend I've finally taken the plunge and registered. (More about said friend later, perhaps even in another post. Plus, I'll soon post a little about myself in the Intros for those interested...)

I attended the gig at The Globe News Center in Amarillo Texas last night (Friday 5-11-2007). I was also at Joe's performance in the same venue last year, and while that show was amazing in its own right, last night simply put it to shame!

I'll pass on giving a set list for the show because that can be found elsewhere, but I will mention some highlights that I particularly enjoyed:

1. - The show opener "Bridge to Better Days". It is one of my favorite Joe tunes, and I especially liked the little snippet of Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers" the guys worked into it. That happens to be my favorite song of the 'modern era DP', and how they (a) got their hands on that bit of information, and (b) decided to work it into the set for me I'll never know, but I really appreciate it. :-)~

(Incidentally, if the entire show last night had consisted of one looong version of BTBD it wouldn't have hurt my feelings at all. Okay, maybe that and an extended "Palm Trees, Helicopters, and Gasoline"...)

2. - Tone. Great music to me begins and ends with tone, and Joe, Bogie, Carmine, and Rick have it in spades. To me, lousy tone = lousy music. No danger of that with The Joe Bonamassa Band! Oh, did I mention their INCREDIBLE TONE?!?!

3. - The overall sound quality. The mix was right on all night. The venue itself obviously plays a part, but beyond that it's up to the sound crew (and the artists themselves) to get everything to sound good and clear, regardless of the volume. In my opinion, they all succeeded with flying colors last night. I apologize for not knowing and being able to list the names of everyone responsible, because they deserve the recognition.

I've been a guitar player for thirty years, and I've been fortunate enough to attend hundreds of live gigs all over the USA. The show last night was easily one of the top ten I've ever experienced. It was in the same league as some of the finest shows I've seen by Eric Johnson, Stevie, and ZZ Top; it was that good. The guys were on their game, they were tight musically yet seemed to be relaxed and having a great time together, and the crowd was up and into the show. If you haven't seen Joe and The Boys play live, I can't recommend strongly enough that you go see them each and every time you have the opportunity. If you don't you'll be missing something special.

The only negative aspect of the night was the assortment of rude drunks (and/or just plain idiots) in the crowd who kept screaming and whistling during the show when they should have been more respectful both to the band onstage AND the fans around them. Poor manners and boorish behavior on the part of some has unfortunately always been a part of the live music experience, and it probably always will be, but to those people, I say: If you want to get drunk and behave poorly, or just act out for some other equally ridiculous reason, please do everyone a favor and stay home to do it.

Now, please bear with me for a personal note:

Soon after the doors opened last night and I had gone inside, I saw this guy come in wearing of all things a Speedy Gonzales t-shirt!  He looked to be more or less my age, had a pleasant face, and was carrying what appeared to be a small suitcase slung over his shoulder. We exchanged hellos and he seemed nice enough.

Later on, before we were allowed into the actual seating area, he came up to me and we started talking. Cool accent to match his cool t-shirt. I soon learned he was from England and his name was Michael Lynch. Before the evening was over, we had cussed and discussed everything from The Who to Iraq to American fast food to Dr. Martens to Lemmy to The West Ham FC to guitar picks. So, thank you Michael for being incredibly nice and making the evening even more special for me. Whenever you get back to Texas, we'll pick up where we left off. Remember your pledge to keep in touch, alright?

To sum it all up, last night's show was an incredible performance by a stunningly talented group of guys. Throw in a beautiful venue with great sound design, add in a new friendship to boot, and I'd be hard pressed to find a better way to spend an evening in Amarillo Texas.

Thanks everyone for reading this long first post of mine. Thanks Michael. And last but certainly not least, thanks Joe, Bogie, Carmine, and Rick for your music. (Joe, it was an honor to meet you and shake your hand last night. I hope to do it again someday.)

Best to all, Lloyd (Redskin204)

Re: Amarillo, Texas USA Gig on Friday 5-11-2007

Lloyd, Couldn't ask for a better first post! Thanks!! The world-famous Michael Lynch to top it off!! Lucky you! Glad you took the plunge and keep coming for a dip!   Cathy

Lloyd,

Great review and welcome to the board. I would have loved to be there. That venue looks fantastic and I'm sure sounds even better.

I'm thinking there's a road trip in my future. big_smile

I'm just saying.

Cathy,

Thank you for the welcome and the kind words. It was a really special night, and meeting Michael was the icing on the cake. I've read his posts here for a long time, but I was floored when he told me who he was. When I told him I went to the board a lot but had never registered, he said 'Lloyd! You've got to do it, eh?' So here I am...

Lloyd (Redskin204)

Nancy,

Thank you, both for the welcome and the compliment.

I wish you could have been there too. But, I imagine you've seen some amazing Joe shows yourself, haven't you?

When they were building The Globe-News Center I was skeptical. I didn't see the need or the point, because The Amarillo Civic Center is literally across the street from the place and it houses both a coliseum AND an auditorium. I've seen countless shows in both venues over the years and they've always gotten the job done. However, the sound is far and away better at The GNC in my opinion. Nice and new inside and out, better parking, etc. It is also an easier in and out for someone like me who uses a wheelchair. Just a great place...

If that roadtrip does occur, I'll be happy to show you the sights of Amarillo. We have three or four, you know... smile:-P

6 (edited by Michael 2007-05-13 00:50:12)

There you go Lloyd , glad you made it on my friend and that was a nice review , this man has got Texas Blood
I tell you forum this is one of the nicest guys i met in america , we just hit it off , he sure knows his music from SRV & ZZ to JOE & THE WHO .... After the show we got in his truck and went and got some beer , pulled back into the theatre carpark by tour bus & just talked about music , sport , politics , work , for nearly 2 hours talking the world , when i first entered then venue i saw a guy over by the door entrance , he was 1st in the queue and in a wheelchair but that did'nt stop me talking to him , infact i'm so glad i did like i'd known him for years and he's face when he met joe , great ...... i gotta get to bed long flight home tomorrow
By the JB floored yet again in OKC tonight , what else did you expect

.................... michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Welcome aboard the forum Lloyd.  Nice write up.  I appreciate your insight into the show on Friday, it is from a different perspective.  Joe's music is special and we can appreciate how you feel.

Music is good for the Soul...

Welcome Lloyd to the forum and thanks for the great review.  As Cathy said you really lucked out.  You got to meet and hang with Michael...........now that has to be a night to remember.  We all here on the board are very friendly.  So, post away...........

Barbara

Michael,

Thanks again for everything. What a fun time! I'm sure if we could have a few more post-show bull sessions (including the necessary cold refreshments of course) we could solve most of the ills of the world, don't you think?!? At least we could give it a good college try.

Congrats on seeing another great show in OKC. I hope you make it home safely. Talk or write with you again soon.

Folks, if you want to talk about a look on someone's face, then how about this: Michael gave Joe a CD cover to sign, and Joe included a personal message to him. It meant so much to Michael, and it was great to see his reaction. He's been to so many shows and spent a lot of time with the band, etc., and yet he's still a true fan at heart. Very cool. And really, that's why we're all here, right? We're such fans of the music. One of the wonderful things about music in my opinion; When it's really special, as in the case of Joe and The Guys, it can bring us all together and give us that feeling that nothing else can. So thanks again to Joe, Bogie, Carmine, Rick, and everyone else involved for sharing it all with us.

Lloyd (Redskin204)

David,

Thank you sir. I totally agree (obviously) about Joe's music. I'm ready for the next gig!

Lloyd (Redskin204)

Barbara,

Thank you for the welcome. You're right; everyone is very friendly here, and I appreciate that. I'm thankful to be a part of it.

It was indeed a special night. I realize that I'm preaching to the choir as it were, but I meant what I said in another post, which is that I suggest that everyone go see The Joe Bonamassa Band each and every time possible. They are an American Musical Treasure. Tell your friends! Tell your neighbors! Heck, get really radical and tell radio (for all the good it's probably going to do)!

As for the post-show with Michael, I have little to offer in the way of my defense. He insisted that I split a six pack with him, and I didn't want to appear rude to an International visitor so I went along with his wishes.

Lloyd (Redskin204)

Lloyd,

My first post here as well!  I have to agree with you that the show was INCREDIBLE!  By the way the singing drunk was two or three rows right behind us and I wish he woulda shut up.

This was the first time I've seen Joe live and you're right that the band was spot on tight and really enjoying themselves.  My wife went with me and although she listens to some blues and whatever else I play she's never seen a real guitar player get at it.  Needless to say all she could do was go wow about his playing and singing.  The only other show I've ever seen that compares is Eric Johnson on his Ah Via Musicom tour in a club about half the size of the GNC.  Same deal---excellent musicianship, tone, acoustics and enjoyment of the playing to the people.

The GNC is ideal for shows like that.  We go to the symphony there often and the acoustics are fantastic.

I won't hesitate to spread the word about JB.

Bloozestringer, welcome to the forum. You and Lloyd will have to hook-up!! Good that you got your wife addicted too. It's much easier when you have a co-dependent in your home!!Cathy

Bloozestringer,

I'm obviously new here too, but from one newbie to another welcome to the forum. :-)

I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed the show. Joe and The Guys are great, and they can't come back soon enough to suit me. One of my dream gigs would be to have Joe, Eric, and Billy all together in one show. Each do their own sets, then they all get together at the end of the night. Talk about Guitar Junkie Heaven!

Lloyd (Redskin204)

hmmm Redskin in Cowboy territory...kinda like a dang Yankee comin 'inta town ta kick up some dust, boldly flaunting an unholstered six-string, ehh?!  Or a limey who rides a flying horse to  go ta a hoedown, wait that's hillbilly talk,... to go ta a Showdown (now I'm talkin' Texan)!  Glad you signed on, now there's no turning back...Tell him Jim...

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket,

Yes, I'm proudly a Redskin in Cowboy land. Sort of in the land of the enemy as it were, especially when the subject turns to American football.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm here to stay I think.

Lloyd (Redskin204)